Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Warning: 320.49 also by and large has that problem, only a bit different in presentation.

If your system actually did get knocked around on 326.41, the 770 is new enough that you probably don't have any good drivers right now. Some people had no issues as recently as 314.22. I had to roll back to Windows Update (311.06) on a 560 Ti before R325 came out, and when the bug presented itself it at least didn't lead to a hardlock this time and it had the weirdest fix (start a fullscreen game).

Also, jink, that was an anticipation post you linked, not a trip report.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Yeah, the drivers thing is still around, but has changed presentation twice in my system. It is a long-idle problem, and apparently it's cumulative rather than contiguous because it happens like clockwork every 24-36 hours on my computer with the most recent betas and a GTX 780. At first, with the original WHQL 320s, EVGA Precision would crash and possibly lose its values, and my system would freeze and hitch like crazy for a few seconds; subsequent driver adjustments (I'm betting to the power behavior, personally) have improved the behavior somewhat to where it's a quick blackout->reset, but one of the intermediary drivers wouldn't reset for a very long time and it meant a system restart every time whether I wanted it or not. Definitely a bug introduced especially for 700-series users on 320+ drivers. Well, what can ya do, drivers suck. They're aware of the issue and working on it, that's where things are at.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender
Sorry guys. I was slightly misinformed. I thought the problem started with the betas.

My friend has the problem with his 780. Random freezes are worrisome.

BIFF!
Jan 4, 2009
For what it's worth, I have a 770 and I haven't had any problems with freezes or crashing (currently using 326.41). 320.18 was awful for me (tons of artifacting in BF3, random crashes in other games, etc.) but both 320.49 and 326.41 have been great for me so far.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I just got my 760 today and all I have to say is HOLY loving BATSHIT CRAZY FUCKBALLS! This is one of the most noticeable upgrades I've ever done.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
I have a 770 and I'm getting those video driver crashes in Windows 7 that are thankfully recoverable (on Windows XP they would have been straight up BSOD's). Thank you Windows WDDM!

quote:

If a WDDM driver hangs or encounters a fault, the graphics stack will restart the driver.[2][6] A graphics hardware fault will be intercepted and if necessary the driver will be reset.

Drivers under Windows XP were free to deal with hardware faults as they saw fit either by reporting it to the user or by attempting to recover silently. With a WDDM driver, all hardware faults cause the driver to be reset and the user will be notified by a popup; this unifies the behavior across vendors.

Previous drivers were fully implemented in kernel mode, whereas WDDM is implemented partly in user mode. If the user mode area fails with an unrecoverable error, it will, at the most, cause the application to quit unexpectedly instead of producing a blue screen error as it would in previous driver models.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Gonkish posted:

I just got my 760 today and all I have to say is HOLY loving BATSHIT CRAZY FUCKBALLS! This is one of the most noticeable upgrades I've ever done.

When are you getting your second one? :getin:

FetalDave
Jun 25, 2011

Moumantai!
There was an nVidia post on their forums saying they're aware of the 36 hour driver reset, and that they plan on fixing it with the next WHQL release.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

El Scotch posted:

When are you getting your second one? :getin:

In like 2-3 months, most likely.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

FetalDave posted:

There was an nVidia post on their forums saying they're aware of the 36 hour driver reset, and that they plan on fixing it with the next WHQL release.
Just in case anyone's wondering, the 32x branch drivers have also been causing these issues on 500 and 600 series cards, from the reports I've seen elsewhere (happens on both my GTX 580 and 770, for example). It seems like a lot of people reporting problems are on 700 series cards, though. Also, yeah, the 314.22 drivers with a modified nv_disp.inf seem to help stop the 36-hour crashes for a decent number of people.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

lethial posted:

Not sure where to post this really, but is anyone here getting the Nvidia Shield? It is a somewhat interesting product and I'd love to see how it performs. Would be interesting if it could support games that have local multiplayer, so that one person could be playing on the shield while another on the PC.

I am interested in this also. As I get older I find that I am becoming primarily a mobile device gamer and was looking at the shield. I admit, even the smallest positive review from somebody that gets one would probably force me to buy it.

edit: gently caress it, I am weak. I just ordered one from newegg. I will let you know my impressions once I get it.

loudog999 fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Aug 7, 2013

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Significant price cuts on the Radeon 7990 now that Cat 13.8b is out. Not such hot news for AMD, but on the other hand, PowerColor will sell you their rejiggered 3-slot SKU for $630 after rebate and it comes with the 8-game bundle (BS:I, Tomb Raider, Crysis 3, Hitman Absolution, Sleeping Dogs, Far Cry 3 + Blood Dragon, and DX:HR). That's a shitload of video card for the price.

jane came by
Jun 29, 2013

by Fistgrrl
I have to ask this, I've always been curious. Do you guys who are super GPU enthusiasts, such as Factory Factory, work in the GPU industry, or just happen to be...GPU enthusiasts?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
Is there a way to change the default output on my 660 Ti? I have a monitor hooked up via DVI and a TV hooked up through VGA; whenever I reboot my computer the BIOS screens/bootloader selection/whatever happens before the OS loads gets output to the TV, and obviously I'd like that stuff to be on the monitor. This happens regardless of whichever port I have either display hooked up to.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

jane came by posted:

I have to ask this, I've always been curious. Do you guys who are super GPU enthusiasts, such as Factory Factory, work in the GPU industry, or just happen to be...GPU enthusiasts?

There are folks on these forums who work in the GPU industry, but they're generally locked down because either they're bound by NDAs or it's work, and you don't come to the forums to work more. Some folks, like Movax the OP, do EE work but not with GPUs specifically.

The rest of us are just giant nerds, I think.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Factory Factory posted:

Significant price cuts on the Radeon 7990 now that Cat 13.8b is out. Not such hot news for AMD, but on the other hand, PowerColor will sell you their rejiggered 3-slot SKU for $630 after rebate and it comes with the 8-game bundle (BS:I, Tomb Raider, Crysis 3, Hitman Absolution, Sleeping Dogs, Far Cry 3 + Blood Dragon, and DX:HR). That's a shitload of video card for the price.

Crikey, that was sooner than I expected. I think I'd still prefer the 780 to Powercolour's custom offering, but AMD's 7990 at a reduced price may actually be a tempting idea instead of a 780.

e: Shame the really discounted ones are all brands that are either advised against or largely 'who knows'.

Wistful of Dollars fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Aug 7, 2013

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
I'm having a weird issue with my 7970 at home. I upgraded to the 13.8 beta drivers, and almost instantly I was unable to get a bunch of games I just installed to run because it would attempt to start the game at fullscreen with a different res than my desktop, at which point the game would minimize and I'd be looking back at my desktkop.

Thought it was the 13.8's so I downgraded back to 13.6 I had before, same issue. Eventually the only way I can get games to start up the first time is set my desktop resolution to whatever the game starts up as, normally 1280x720 (or manually edit .ini files), then boot the game up, change it to windowed and then go back and change my desktop res to 1920x1080.

Has anyone else seen this and/or had any solution to the problem?

edit: Forgot to say, before it would switch to the crappy lower res, with moving my regular windows that happened to be up and position them oddly, but it would at least show the game at that resolution so I could go into the options and change it to 1920x1080

real_scud fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Aug 7, 2013

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

real_scud posted:

I'm having a weird issue with my 7970 at home. I upgraded to the 13.8 beta drivers, and almost instantly I was unable to get a bunch of games I just installed to run because it would attempt to start the game at fullscreen with a different res than my desktop, at which point the game would minimize and I'd be looking back at my desktkop.

Thought it was the 13.8's so I downgraded back to 13.6 I had before, same issue. Eventually the only way I can get games to start up the first time is set my desktop resolution to whatever the game starts up as, normally 1280x720 (or manually edit .ini files), then boot the game up, change it to windowed and then go back and change my desktop res to 1080.

Has anyone else seen this and/or had any solution to the problem?

That's likely an issue with Catalyst Control Center. I think I might have had this problem before with my own card and there's a setting on it that's causing the problem. I think it might have been something to do with GPU display scaling -- in any case, I just uninstalled CCC and never looked back. Have only been upgrading drivers (and using RadeonPro) ever since. gently caress CCC.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

jane came by posted:

EE dropout here. I got a way better job in the medical industry than I would have gotten from finishing school. Most of my posts are about the hardware side of GPUs because I still find that stuff super interesting even if it's not a career path.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

That's likely an issue with Catalyst Control Center. I think I might have had this problem before with my own card and there's a setting on it that's causing the problem. I think it might have been something to do with GPU display scaling -- in any case, I just uninstalled CCC and never looked back. Have only been upgrading drivers (and using RadeonPro) ever since. gently caress CCC.
Hmm guess I can try that tonight cause goddamn is it annoying as hell.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
The GPU scaling option that cannot be changed unless you are not at your native resolution! :bravo:

RadeonPro is nice, but it keeps giving me errors on start. Sometimes it says it cannot connect to the ADL library, sometimes it says some DLL is missing, and pretty much all of the time if I have it start with Windows it'll pop up a dialog about not having to start the 64 bit executable. It's kind of annoying.

typhus
Apr 7, 2004

Fun Shoe
Got a couple of general stupid questions regarding Crossfire, since I'm new at this junk. I just installed two 7950 3GB cards two weeks ago, right before the 13.8 beta dropped. So, here are the newb questions:

-- I have two monitors: my 2560x1440 primary and a 1920x1080 second monitor. Currently, they're both plugged into the same card in my top PCI-E slot, and I've noticed that I get a significant drop in performance if I enable Crossfire while the 2nd monitor is active, even while running games full screen on my primary monitor. I've been disabling the 2nd monitor whenever I do any Crossfire gaming, but is this expected behavior? Is there a configuration tweak I can implement to alleviate it?

-- Since installing 13.8, I've noticed a weird thang in GPU-Z where my 2nd card is running in PCI-E 1.1 x1 instead of 2.0 x8, like the first card. CCC reads 2.0 x8 on both cards. The values don't change in GPU-Z when I stress the cards. It's hard to tell whether this is having a performance impact or not, but any ideas on why that is happening/whether it's anything to worry over?

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Jan posted:

The GPU scaling option that cannot be changed unless you are not at your native resolution! :bravo:

RadeonPro is nice, but it keeps giving me errors on start. Sometimes it says it cannot connect to the ADL library, sometimes it says some DLL is missing, and pretty much all of the time if I have it start with Windows it'll pop up a dialog about not having to start the 64 bit executable. It's kind of annoying.
Really? I didn't see that it was unselectable last night and I managed to change it, of course changing it didn't fix the issue at all.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

typhus posted:

Got a couple of general stupid questions regarding Crossfire, since I'm new at this junk. I just installed two 7950 3GB cards two weeks ago, right before the 13.8 beta dropped. So, here are the newb questions:

-- I have two monitors: my 2560x1440 primary and a 1920x1080 second monitor. Currently, they're both plugged into the same card in my top PCI-E slot, and I've noticed that I get a significant drop in performance if I enable Crossfire while the 2nd monitor is active, even while running games full screen on my primary monitor. I've been disabling the 2nd monitor whenever I do any Crossfire gaming, but is this expected behavior? Is there a configuration tweak I can implement to alleviate it?

-- Since installing 13.8, I've noticed a weird thang in GPU-Z where my 2nd card is running in PCI-E 1.1 x1 instead of 2.0 x8, like the first card. CCC reads 2.0 x8 on both cards. The values don't change in GPU-Z when I stress the cards. It's hard to tell whether this is having a performance impact or not, but any ideas on why that is happening/whether it's anything to worry over?

I haven't noticed a performance drop from my second monitor, but then I haven't tried turning it off. I'll run some profiles tonight and see.

And when you say fullscreen, you do mean exclusive fullscreen and not borderless window, right? Crossfire only runs in exclusive fullscreen. Which might explain the lower PCI-E speed in GPU-Z... But GPU-Z makes it pretty clear you have to run fullscreen to fully utilize both GPUs. Did you notice that? :downs:

Although 13.8 is supposed to mitigate frame variance issues somewhat, I've had massive improvements from turning VSync on. Which kind of sucks for the occasional title that won't run above 60FPS, but with 7950s I doubt you'll have that issue.

typhus
Apr 7, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jan posted:

I haven't noticed a performance drop from my second monitor, but then I haven't tried turning it off. I'll run some profiles tonight and see.

And when you say fullscreen, you do mean exclusive fullscreen and not borderless window, right? Crossfire only runs in exclusive fullscreen. Which might explain the lower PCI-E speed in GPU-Z... But GPU-Z makes it pretty clear you have to run fullscreen to fully utilize both GPUs. Did you notice that? :downs:

Although 13.8 is supposed to mitigate frame variance issues somewhat, I've had massive improvements from turning VSync on. Which kind of sucks for the occasional title that won't run above 60FPS, but with 7950s I doubt you'll have that issue.

I mean exclusive fullscreen, yeah. When the 2nd monitor is on, a fullscreen'd game on the first takes a huge drop. I've noticed it in a couple of games (Batman AC, Metro Last Light) and it definitely produces a significant performance drop that Heaven benchmark.

And yeah, vsync is awesome, but it only makes the performance drop that much more apparent when the 2nd monitor is on. When it's disabled, runs like a dream.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Factory Factory posted:

Interesting. A definite out-performer, clearly a significant part of their overall strategy in terms of competing at the tip-top high end. Yeah I could see how that would be terrible if you were immediately outed (out of "enlightened self-interest") as being really, really bad at what you're supposed to be doing. But the fact that they're lowering prices on the dual GPU solution to compete with nVidia's monolithic GPU solution doesn't seem to bode especially well for AMD having an "answer" - this is their answer, Crossfire card. At least they know nVidia isn't in a position to gently caress themselves by dropping the price of the GTX 690, so in that regard they'll look kinda silly, but if this is actual strategy and not just a clearinghouse move it kinda makes sense and kinda doesn't. Sort of a "better luck next generation" move on the GPU side of things but also finally a competitive price-performer from AMD for the very high end that doesn't leave nVidia able to do the same thing without undercutting their own high end.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

real_scud posted:

Really? I didn't see that it was unselectable last night and I managed to change it, of course changing it didn't fix the issue at all.

You can toggle the option for GPU scaling altogether, but you can't change its mode:

Considering I'd rather preserve aspect ratio for playing old 640x480 games like The Longest Journey, this is less than optimal. And though I haven't messed around with the setting in a while, I think it reverts itself as soon as you go back to your native resolution, or some poo poo. :doh:

typhus posted:

I mean exclusive fullscreen, yeah. When the 2nd monitor is on, a fullscreen'd game on the first takes a huge drop. I've noticed it in a couple of games (Batman AC, Metro Last Light) and it definitely produces a significant performance drop that Heaven benchmark.

Hmm, ran the Heaven benchmark (in 2560x1600, mind you) and got 5 less average FPS with the second monitor enabled. Interesting.

I'll switch to the 13.8 drivers first, then I'll run some more benchmarks and keep you posted.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Dillweed posted:

Just in case anyone's wondering, the 32x branch drivers have also been causing these issues on 500 and 600 series cards, from the reports I've seen elsewhere (happens on both my GTX 580 and 770, for example). It seems like a lot of people reporting problems are on 700 series cards, though. Also, yeah, the 314.22 drivers with a modified nv_disp.inf seem to help stop the 36-hour crashes for a decent number of people.

Even with modified 314.22 drivers, my 760 GTX would hard-lock. However, since I installed the 326.41 drivers a few days ago, I get a blank screen for a few seconds then Windows recovers from the driver crash. I guess this is progress :toot:

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Mine has been crashing and recovering with the 320.49 drivers. Although the one time I was running Precision X it did a hard-lock.

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!

loudog999 posted:

I am interested in this also. As I get older I find that I am becoming primarily a mobile device gamer and was looking at the shield. I admit, even the smallest positive review from somebody that gets one would probably force me to buy it.

edit: gently caress it, I am weak. I just ordered one from newegg. I will let you know my impressions once I get it.

I have one. My micro review is that the screen is absolutely gorgeous, best I've seen on a mobile device yet, bright full colours and no ghosting. OS works well/Task switching is easy, games that I've tried run well, battery life seems like it would be a good 6 or more hours of full use, and it's comfortable despite being fairly heavy. The bad is that the dpad is literally the worst I've ever used. It floats around in its indentation which feels weird to begin with but far worse is that it has the problem where if you hold what feels like full up it will often oscillate between up->up+left->up->up+left over and over. Not just up/up+left though all the directions will oscillate to including an adjacent one you don't intend unless you are holding the button just right. It's maddening. The action buttons are pretty bad too. Too far apart from each other to be able to play 3 buttons with one thumb at a time as I'm accustomed to doing and they activate at a greater travel distance then they palpably click. Making it easy to feel like you pushed a button but not have it detect as pushed. I've also had the action buttons get stuck in the down position a few times, they aren't stuck under the faceplate or anything the just don't pop back up by themselves all the time. But when stuck down they aren't far enough down to activate so it isn't as horrible as it sounds. If they fixed the dpad I would be hugely happy with it, if they fixed the action buttons as well I'd be recommending it to just about anyone.

I only briefly tried the mirroring a PC game thing as it changed my primary monitor's resolution, disabled some, but oddly not all, of my secondary displays, resized and disorganized my open windows, crashed my running vlc instance, and shuffled all my desktop icons around. I immediately closed it and uninstalled the software for that. It wasn't really a selling point for me anyway. Pity though if they just made the SHIELD show up as an extra display and gamepad and let me handle the rest it could have been cool.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
Sorry if this has been asked a lot, but I've had a 560ti for a while now, and I'm wondering if I should move on to something new. It's not slow, as such, but I could do with more.

I've been thinking about getting a 770 and the reason I'm asking here is the real world difference enough that I should bother? I only game at 1080p and there's not much stuff out there that kicks my computer's rear end, but I don't have the opportunity to upgrade often and this is one of those times where I have the chance.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

cat doter posted:

Sorry if this has been asked a lot, but I've had a 560ti for a while now, and I'm wondering if I should move on to something new. It's not slow, as such, but I could do with more.

I've been thinking about getting a 770 and the reason I'm asking here is the real world difference enough that I should bother? I only game at 1080p and there's not much stuff out there that kicks my computer's rear end, but I don't have the opportunity to upgrade often and this is one of those times where I have the chance.

It makes your 560Ti look slow but whether you upgrade or not is up to you, the 560Ti and the 650Ti are performance analogs and good choices for "I don't need all the shinies" gaming at 1080p. VRAM limit will probably suck but you won't be able to turn up enough stuff to hit it in most games anyway.

Have you considered a 760 instead? It also kicks the 560Ti's rear end all over town, but is way less overkill for most things and slots into a similar price:performance bracket this generation. The GTX 770 is not a great value prospect, to be frank, it's a little expensive for its performance.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Is there going to be a newer variant to the 760 coming soon, like a ti model or whatever? Those performance numbers look good and I guess you're right about the price of the 770, it's $150 more than the 760 at the least here.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

cat doter posted:

Is there going to be a newer variant to the 760 coming soon, like a ti model or whatever? Those performance numbers look good and I guess you're right about the price of the 770, it's $150 more than the 760 at the least here.

There is no indication of such, we don't have a good reason to think it'll happen, the performance gap is already remarkably small with the 760 performing more like a 670 than a 660Ti, but they have really liked the Ti branding in the past so if they do end up doing it, it would be because of price pressure from AMD, and I'd speculate they'd do it by pulling a 560Ti-448 and just tossing the mid-range price:performance curve totally out of order (the 560Ti-448 was really another step down from the GF110 chip based GTX 570, which was, performance-wise, basically a GTX 480... Fermi minus).

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Spek posted:

I have one. My micro review is that the screen is absolutely gorgeous, best I've seen on a mobile device yet, bright full colours and no ghosting. OS works well/Task switching is easy, games that I've tried run well, battery life seems like it would be a good 6 or more hours of full use, and it's comfortable despite being fairly heavy. The bad is that the dpad is literally the worst I've ever used. It floats around in its indentation which feels weird to begin with but far worse is that it has the problem where if you hold what feels like full up it will often oscillate between up->up+left->up->up+left over and over. Not just up/up+left though all the directions will oscillate to including an adjacent one you don't intend unless you are holding the button just right. It's maddening. The action buttons are pretty bad too. Too far apart from each other to be able to play 3 buttons with one thumb at a time as I'm accustomed to doing and they activate at a greater travel distance then they palpably click. Making it easy to feel like you pushed a button but not have it detect as pushed. I've also had the action buttons get stuck in the down position a few times, they aren't stuck under the faceplate or anything the just don't pop back up by themselves all the time. But when stuck down they aren't far enough down to activate so it isn't as horrible as it sounds. If they fixed the dpad I would be hugely happy with it, if they fixed the action buttons as well I'd be recommending it to just about anyone.

I only briefly tried the mirroring a PC game thing as it changed my primary monitor's resolution, disabled some, but oddly not all, of my secondary displays, resized and disorganized my open windows, crashed my running vlc instance, and shuffled all my desktop icons around. I immediately closed it and uninstalled the software for that. It wasn't really a selling point for me anyway. Pity though if they just made the SHIELD show up as an extra display and gamepad and let me handle the rest it could have been cool.

I have been refreshing my Fedex tracking page all day looking for this thing to come. I really am a sucker for any handheld, hopefully this one will not be sitting next to my psp, pspgo, and vita collecting dust. Maybe one of these days I will learn to stick to Nintendo handhelds, but that day is not today. I have another couple of question for you, how do games that have touch control only work on it? Is it too bulky and oddly shaped to hold to play these games? I ask because back before I sold my Nexus 7 I bought Dragon Fantasy and Devils Attorney and would like to actual play them now that I am getting another Android device. Finally, have you tried reading books on the Kindle app and one of the comic apps? If those work well I dont see that I will be taking my ipad anywhere with me since right now it is only a book reader and xcom player.

Do we have a Shield thread we can talk about this stuff in, or is interest so low in the device that it is not worth it?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Doesn't look like there's a thread in Games or IYG. It's a bit of a weird device; just a small Android tablet (well, closer in size to a phablet), nearly stock, with a controller stuck on it. Nvidia wrote a pair of apps to enable PC game streaming, which is only unique as far as the hardware goes and how well it works.

I'm not even sure where talk would go. It's got SH/SC because of the Tegra 4 and streaming stuff, IYG because it's an Android device, and Games because games.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
It's just such an uninteresting device, honestly. It has good mobile graphics, a seemingly nice panel, and it streams from Steam on a PC but that functionality is fairly buggy from what I can tell.

Everything about the Shield just screams "come back when this product is more refined, don't worry about it much for now".

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Agreed posted:

There is no indication of such, we don't have a good reason to think it'll happen, the performance gap is already remarkably small with the 760 performing more like a 670 than a 660Ti, but they have really liked the Ti branding in the past so if they do end up doing it, it would be because of price pressure from AMD, and I'd speculate they'd do it by pulling a 560Ti-448 and just tossing the mid-range price:performance curve totally out of order (the 560Ti-448 was really another step down from the GF110 chip based GTX 570, which was, performance-wise, basically a GTX 480... Fermi minus).

So if you were in my position, would you buy one? I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger. If I were to sell the 560ti, bearing in mind the 650ti goes for about $170 here, what price should I ask? It might mitigate the costs somewhat.

Oh and I guess this question doesn't matter as such, but is there a model that's quieter than the stock reference card and doesn't do any gimmicky overclocking? I need a quiet computer since it doubles as a DAW work machine.

Factory Factory posted:

Doesn't look like there's a thread in Games or IYG. It's a bit of a weird device; just a small Android tablet (well, closer in size to a phablet), nearly stock, with a controller stuck on it. Nvidia wrote a pair of apps to enable PC game streaming, which is only unique as far as the hardware goes and how well it works.

I'm not even sure where talk would go. It's got SH/SC because of the Tegra 4 and streaming stuff, IYG because it's an Android device, and Games because games.

Theoretically this streaming tech could work on anything, right? Even to another computer? Why lock it down to some lovely tegra powered handheld thing? I'd love to be able to stream games to my laptop from my gaming PC while in another room of the house. That would rule.

cat doter fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Aug 8, 2013

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!

loudog999 posted:

I have been refreshing my Fedex tracking page all day looking for this thing to come. I really am a sucker for any handheld, hopefully this one will not be sitting next to my psp, pspgo, and vita collecting dust. Maybe one of these days I will learn to stick to Nintendo handhelds, but that day is not today. I have another couple of question for you, how do games that have touch control only work on it? Is it too bulky and oddly shaped to hold to play these games? I ask because back before I sold my Nexus 7 I bought Dragon Fantasy and Devils Attorney and would like to actual play them now that I am getting another Android device. Finally, have you tried reading books on the Kindle app and one of the comic apps? If those work well I dont see that I will be taking my ipad anywhere with me since right now it is only a book reader and xcom player.
I havent played any touch only games for more than a few seconds but I wouldn't think it would be pleasant unless it was a turn based/menu heavy game. Maybe if you put the shield on a table and just wrapped your hands around the screen. Kindle works fine so long as you don't mind reading in landscape, using it in portrait is pretty uncomfortable. I don't read any comics so cant say but I'd think it'd be fine so long as they work in landscape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

cat doter posted:

So if you were in my position, would you buy one?

You must not have been around here too long if you're asking me what I, in particular, would do when it comes to GPU choices. I'm also at 1080p and my last four GPUs were a GTX 280, a GTX 580, a GTX 680, and now a GTX 780. You should not do this. :) A 760 on the other hand is a brilliant price:performance choice, but watch out for price competition from AMD as there are currently 7950s on the market for around $200 after MIR, and they are excellent performers in their own right, and at that price a serious bargain.

There are several aftermarket cooling setups, EVGA's ACX is the least effective of the 760 bunch but it rocks on the 780. Go figure. On the 760, if I recall correctly it's a tossup between the Windforce 3 and MSI's Frozr cooling solution. Asus brings in performance but is a bit on the big side... EVGA is still a good choice even for the 760, though, and you get their kickass warranty with it and it's guaranteed to fit into a two-slot space. However, the 700 series in general also features the quietest reference cooler designs to date, so if airflow is a concern and you don't think you could exhaust the heat dumped inside the case with an aftermarket card, consider that they're not as loud as AMD's reference blowers by a stretch now (and when do you anticipate loud gaming while also recording anyway? ;)).

Agreed fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Aug 9, 2013