Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Bethsada has never made games for Nintendo so them not going to make anything on the Wii U is not surprising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Alteisen posted:

Bethsada has never made games for Nintendo so them not going to make anything on the Wii U is not surprising.

:colbert: how could you forget such classics as Where's Waldo? and Home Alone on the NES?

E: (that said yeah Bethesda outright saying they won't make Wii U games is bad in theory, but in practice most Bethesda fans get the games for the PC anyway so the only loss might be people whose first Bethesda game was Skyrim or Fallout 3/NV on a console, and like it enough to have it affect which console they get, but aren't so into it they make the jump to PC so they can play with mods)

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Aug 7, 2013

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Alteisen posted:

Isn't Bethesda a publisher now too? This means any yes they publish won't come out for Wii U right? The list for that is uh... Dishonered?

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

KittyEmpress posted:

Isn't Bethesda a publisher now too? This means any yes they publish won't come out for Wii U right? The list for that is uh... Dishonered?

Yes the quote is from Bethesda the publisher, not Bethesda Game Studios. And the games specifically mentioned that were not coming to the WiiU were the Elder Scrolls Online, Wolfenstein: The New Order, and The Evil Within.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Honestly I wouldn't give a poo poo about multiplatform titles on the wii or wii u, they're not the reason I buy a Nintendo console in the first place - my last one was a Gamecube and I never bought any multiplatform stuff for it because those were just clearly better on a PS2. Still the Gamecube was my favorite console from that generation besides the PS2 because it had stuff like F Zero GX and WW with OoT and whatnot. The Gamecube looked like poo poo, had bad specs, poor marketing but still wasn't a flop because it offered fun. The problem with the Wii U isn't specs, it's that Nintendo's slacking off with their own games.

They could launch a console entirely with first party titles and it would probably sell, but Mario Wii U looks too much like NSMB (just like the console itself looks too much like the Wii) to pull people in, there's no F Zero or Zelda yet and Pikmin doesn't excite people. It needs some kind of more unique Mario title, a new Zelda, a new F Zero, Smash Brothers needs to come out and then it might just recover.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

F-Zero has never been a system seller. Its been a fun, niche product in the Nintendo Family but its not a huge unit mover. The same, of course, could be said about Pikmin and that got the HD nod so I dunno what the gently caress.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Everybody keeps saying "aw, well, you don't buy a Nintendo console for third party games" as if that's a reason to justify Nintendo not having third party games on their console.

I bet Nintendo is wishing they had a wealth of third party games on the Wii U right about now. I know I do as a Wii U owner.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Barudak posted:

F-Zero has never been a system seller. Its been a fun, niche product in the Nintendo Family but its not a huge unit mover. The same, of course, could be said about Pikmin and that got the HD nod so I dunno what the gently caress.

No but it's part of a cumulative effect that eventually pushes people over the line to buy the thing.

And when enough people have the Wii U in their living room in the first place, third party developers will probably reconsider too. Right now they see the thing is flopping because Nintendo is slacking off and making horrible decisions so they don't bother, it's not just the specs I imagine.

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Aug 7, 2013

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
You can say, game x is not a system seller, game y is not a system seller, game z is not a system seller, but collectively they are. Most people don't but a system for one must have game. They buy it when there is a library of exiting titles.

Luigi's Mansion, Fire Emblem, DKCR, Ocarina remake, Kid Icarus, and Luigi Dream Team are not system sellers, but collectively they made the lineup so strong I finally got a 3DS XL.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I suspect even the Virtual Boy could've been saved if they'd only released one exciting Mario title instead of that boringass arcade game, a 3D Mario Kart or F-Zero title and some kind of headstrap peripheral.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sure, all I'm saying is in Nintendo's shoes F-Zero is not the game to release early in your console life-cycle when you're attempting to establish value. For that matter neither is Pikmin. Had Smash Brothers been releasing now in leiu of Pikmin with the two title's release dates swapped around I'd have to believe Nintendo's market position would be better.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Shibawanko posted:

some kind of headstrap peripheral.

Have you ever used a Virtual Boy? They're pretty heavy, and the eye strain is bad enough without adding neck strain as well.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Shibawanko posted:

And when enough people have the Wii U in their living room in the first place, third party developers will probably reconsider too. Right now they see the thing is flopping because Nintendo is slacking off and making horrible decisions so they don't bother, it's not just the specs I imagine.

This just seems like a fantasy. At the rate Nintendo is pushing titles, you're talking about this happening after everyone save EA Sports has moved on from PS3/360 development. If that's the case, the Wii U would have to have Wii numbers to cause this to occur.

The Wii U's best chance to get 3rd party development back is if it can position itself as an actual contender in the PS4/Xbone market and do so before PS3/360 development has largely halted. If it can, then the Wii U might extend the lives of those previous-gen systems by giving publishers an incentive to keep making games at that level so those versions can be ported to Wii U.

thefncrow fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Aug 7, 2013

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Soul Glo posted:

Everybody keeps saying "aw, well, you don't buy a Nintendo console for third party games" as if that's a reason to justify Nintendo not having third party games on their console.

I bet Nintendo is wishing they had a wealth of third party games on the Wii U right about now. I know I do as a Wii U owner.

Those people need to remember Resident Evil loving Four. That was a third-party game worth buying a system for.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

That loving Sned posted:

Those people need to remember Resident Evil loving Four. That was a third-party game worth buying a system for.

Which, then due to weak sales on the GC, moved to the PS2 with more content. Then the Wii. Then the PS3/360. Eventually it will be on your phone and I will loving buy it again goddamn is it a good game and was completely worth owning a Gamecube for.

Hell the rest of the Capcom 5 did that except P.N.03 which is for the best, really.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

For third party developers to reconsider, the system would have to rise in sales by astronomic levels. I don't expect the Wii U to sell any better during the holidays than it did last holiday season, so going into 2014 when everyone's setting their budgets and their plans, Wii U is not going to be in anyone's plans.

Don't forget it's, what, a six to eight month development timetable for the average game, if not a significant amount longer for AAA titles? So if Smash Bros were to somehow save the console, developers would maybe have Wii U games lined up for 2015? I mean at that point why would they bother. Developers stopped making games for the original Xbox by 2007. They'll have completely moved on to their next gen engines.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Shibawanko posted:

Honestly I wouldn't give a poo poo about multiplatform titles on the wii or wii u, they're not the reason I buy a Nintendo console in the first place - my last one was a Gamecube and I never bought any multiplatform stuff for it because those were just clearly better on a PS2.

Look at this guy that never played Soul Calibur 2 on GC...

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rudoku posted:

Look at this guy that never played Soul Calibur 2 on GC...

In sad news the SC2 re-release will not have Link so the only reason to buy that game has floated out the window.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

Shibawanko posted:

The Gamecube looked like poo poo, had bad specs

Wasn't the Gamecube more powerful than the PS2?

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

whaley posted:

Yeah, every multiplat release looked noticeably better on GCN and Xbox than PS2. Like Sonic Heroes, besides being a really bad game, was almost unplayable on PS2 compared to the other consoles.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

whaley posted:

It was.

NES was stronger than Atari 7800 and most Commodore 64 games but weaker than the Master System.
SNES was stronger than Genesis and TG-16 but weaker than 3D0, Neo Geo and Jaguar.
Playstation was a bit stronger than Saturn (really it was easier to take advantage of PSX hardware compared to Saturn) but weaker than N64 in pure graphic processing (but couldn't store sweet FMV so nobody gave a gently caress).
PS2 was weaker than Gamecube, X-Box and Dreamcast.
Wii was a generation behind 360 and PS3.

Usually the company that runs withered technology with lateral thinking wins the race, especially in the handheld markets. However, that doesn't mean that all it takes is to be weaker and cheaper.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
It's more that the PS1's architecture wasn't an utter trainwreck like the Saturn's was (Sony would later fail to learn from this with their "Network your microwave and washer-dryer with your PS3 to boost the power of the Cell Processor"), and the PS2 was certainly more powerful than the Dreamcast.

Edit: vvv It would have been a hell of a thing if it didn't sell more on PS2 than GCN! Sony sold what, five times more than Nintendo? :v:

Distant Chicken fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Aug 7, 2013

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Barudak posted:

Which, then due to weak sales on the GC, moved to the PS2 with more content. Then the Wii. Then the PS3/360. Eventually it will be on your phone and I will loving buy it again goddamn is it a good game and was completely worth owning a Gamecube for.

Hell the rest of the Capcom 5 did that except P.N.03 which is for the best, really.

And it sold quite a bit more on PS2 too, despite it looking worse.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Quest For Glory II posted:

For third party developers to reconsider, the system would have to rise in sales by astronomic levels. I don't expect the Wii U to sell any better during the holidays than it did last holiday season, so going into 2014 when everyone's setting their budgets and their plans, Wii U is not going to be in anyone's plans.

Don't forget it's, what, a six to eight month development timetable for the average game, if not a significant amount longer for AAA titles? So if Smash Bros were to somehow save the console, developers would maybe have Wii U games lined up for 2015? I mean at that point why would they bother. Developers stopped making games for the original Xbox by 2007. They'll have completely moved on to their next gen engines.

I think most third-party publishers are too committed to the upcoming generation of console hardware to devote efforts toward downscaling assets for the Wii U. I'm skeptical that a surprise surge in Wii U sales would attract them. Such a situation occurred for the Wii in spite of it starting out as a big seller. In my opinion, Nintendo's refusal to reasonably compete on hardware capability has hamstrung them by severely hampering cross-platform feasibility. Their use of less powerful hardware is far more sensible for handhelds due to longer battery life.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

BottledBodhisvata posted:

No Elder Scrolls: Mushroom Kingdom? My heart, it breaks.

... actually, a Skyrim-ish open world Mushroom Kingdom RPG sounds pretty bitchin'. Like, I would for sure buy a Wii U if such a thing were to happen.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Toady posted:

I think most third-party publishers are too committed to the upcoming generation of console hardware to devote efforts toward downscaling assets for the Wii U. I'm skeptical that a surprise surge in Wii U sales would attract them. Such a situation occurred for the Wii in spite of it starting out as a big seller. In my opinion, Nintendo's refusal to reasonably compete on hardware capability has hamstrung them by severely hampering cross-platform feasibility. Their use of less powerful hardware is far more sensible for handhelds due to longer battery life.

I think you're pretty much right, which is why I said any Wii U surge wouldn't cause 3rd parties to develop for Wii U in addition to the next-gen, but might cause a re-evaluation of killing last-gen development. Wii U on its own stands basically no chance of drawing developers back, but a strong Wii U combined with any significant number of people who didn't step up to next-gen might convince publishers to continue last-gen ports.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Oh I misremembered it, it was the Xbox which was stronger than the Gamecube, not the PS2.

Captain Mog posted:

... actually, a Skyrim-ish open world Mushroom Kingdom RPG sounds pretty bitchin'. Like, I would for sure buy a Wii U if such a thing were to happen.

They really just need to bring back Booster.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Skyrim Mario
World of Zelda Warcraft
Saints Row: Wario and Walugi

Any other pipedreams?

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Any other pipedreams?

Pokemon MMO :can:

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Skyrim Mario
World of Zelda Warcraft

Any other pipedreams?

Grimdark Kirby.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

A Wario & Waluigi game that's basically a kid friendly parody of Saints Row would be amazing though.

Really just give me more Wario in general please. He's probably my favorite Mario character

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
It's a goddamn travesty Waluigi still hasn't been in a non-sports/party title.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Any other pipedreams?

A new F-ZERO.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Macaluso posted:

A Wario & Waluigi game that's basically a kid friendly parody of Saints Row would be amazing though.

Really just give me more Wario in general please. He's probably my favorite Mario character

Waluigi should just be retconned into a kind of Mr Hyde version of Luigi who goes on a rampage, throwing bob ombs at people and going all nuts before returning to normal Luigi when he's about to meet any of the regular Mario cast, so nobody knows it's really him. He should be the violent Id to the Superego Mario represents to the common proletarian Luigi.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

Waluigi should just be retconned into a kind of Mr Hyde version of Luigi who goes on a rampage, throwing bob ombs at people and going all nuts before returning to normal Luigi when he's about to meet any of the regular Mario cast, so nobody knows it's really him. He should be the violent Id to the Superego Mario represents to the common proletarian Luigi.

They did that already.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Barudak posted:

RE4 is in fact available on phones already, it's just slightly more expensive than most phone games.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Wandle Cax posted:

RE4 is in fact available on phones already, it's just slightly more expensive than most phone games.

No it's not. Unless you are being really literal, because there is a piece of poo poo phone cash in game called Resident Evil 4, but it's not the same game and it is GARBAGE. I have it unfortunately.

Dec 26, 2012

Whoa now, let's not get too extreme here.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Skyrim Mario
World of Zelda Warcraft

Any other pipedreams?

Shadow of the Doshin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

NESguerilla posted:

No it's not. Unless you are being really literal, because there is a piece of poo poo phone cash in game called Resident Evil 4, but it's not the same game and it is GARBAGE. I have it unfortunately.

Sorry. I thought it was a cut-down version of the actual game.

• Locked thread