Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Seven Round Things posted:

I updated my Nexus 4 from stock 4.2.2 + motley kernel to stock 4.3. I'm happy with the stock ROM + kernel except for the lack of colour+gamma calibration, which really sucks. Which 4.3 (JWR66V) custom kernel should I use? No features are must-haves except for gamma control. I've trawled XDA but the Team OmegaZStarMitsubishiUmbrella thing is no exaggeration.
We have literally answered your question on the same page as your post. Go back a page from this post and scroll up. :eng99:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seven Round Things
Mar 22, 2010

LiquidRain posted:

We have literally answered your question on the same page as your post. Go back a page from this post and scroll up. :eng99:
Oops :blush: I did read back a few pages but I must've got mixed up. Anyways I've flashed franco; much better already. Will see how its battery life compares to stock.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
How do I tell if my Galaxy nexus is running Bluetooth 4.0? I want to buy a Fitbit but it only runs on phones with BT 4.0. I am running the latest Paranoid Android ROM. If not what ROM's have it?

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.
Hey guys. We have a Kindle Fire HD7. It is rooted with Play, etc. installed. But what I'd really like is to just install a basic Android version - but the one that has support for multiple user accounts. I don't need anything fancy - what do you recommend? I've been poring thru XDA, but goddamn - it's acronym soup over there.

Gracias.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

hooah posted:

I'm trying to update F-Droid, but the install button doesn't respond. I have a Nexus 4 with CM10.1 nightly from today and and the box to allow unknown sources is checked. What else could be going wrong?

No other suggestions? Should I get a hold of the CM guys since I've had this problem once or twice before?

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy
My phone has suddenly started using hundreds of MB a day of data. The built-in data monitor says Google Services Framework is consuming the majority of it, 1.9GB in the past week alone after a sudden uptick on the 1st. I didn't make any changes around that date which could have caused it, I think. For now I'm disabling background data for GSF and it seems to be keeping it under control but that's not really a solution.

Can I find out in more detail what would be causing it? This is CM10.1 stable on a Nexus 4.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

No other suggestions? Should I get a hold of the CM guys since I've had this problem once or twice before?
You're just trying to install the F-Droid app? Can't you just get the apk from F-Droid then install it with your favorite file browser?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

You're just trying to install the F-Droid app? Can't you just get the apk from F-Droid then install it with your favorite file browser?

I'm trying to update F-Droid from within itself. I also had this problem with a UCCW skin some time back.

Seven Round Things
Mar 22, 2010

i barely GNU her! posted:

My phone has suddenly started using hundreds of MB a day of data. The built-in data monitor says Google Services Framework is consuming the majority of it, 1.9GB in the past week alone after a sudden uptick on the 1st. I didn't make any changes around that date which could have caused it, I think. For now I'm disabling background data for GSF and it seems to be keeping it under control but that's not really a solution.

Can I find out in more detail what would be causing it? This is CM10.1 stable on a Nexus 4.
GSF is repeatedly downloading the 4.3 OTA update (169MB). I'm not sure there's a solution for this yet apart from disabling GSF/disabling its background data. But maybe you could just keep doing that- does doing so impact any other functionality? Alternatively, moving to a 4.3 ROM would stop it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

I'm trying to update F-Droid from within itself. I also had this problem with a UCCW skin some time back.
Well then just grab the apk from them and install it that way.

GSF is repeatedly downloading the 4.3 OTA update (169MB). I'm not sure there's a solution for this yet apart from disabling GSF/disabling its background data. But maybe you could just keep doing that- does doing so impact any other functionality? Alternatively, moving to a 4.3 ROM would stop it.
While I don't doubt you're correct, it shouldn't do that on CM. Worse, I don't know how you'd stop it.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

Well then just grab the apk from them and install it that way.

Thanks, that worked.

Seven Round Things
Mar 22, 2010

LastInLine posted:

it shouldn't do that on CM.
Indeed, historically custom ROMs have disabled OTAs, but it seems to be happening on a lot of them.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.
I'll rephrase and ask: what's the most basic Fire HD7 rom available, or who is running what and do you likes it?

Binge
Feb 23, 2001

So I turned off the setting on my Nexus 7 (original) that charges the battery in an off state. I ADB'd a command to power up the device when it receives power. I did this because I was going to install it in my car. Since that car got smashed in an accident (and I'm glad I procrastinated installing it), I'd like to turn that back off.

BUT, I accidentally let the device power off from absolutely no battery power left. When I plug it in, it usually just boots up, sits there, then powers off, then repeats for hours. The 2 times I've managed to allow this to happen, it usually catches up with itself after a while and finally has enough juice to stay on. Not this time however! When I plug it in, the screen kinda flips out, and it just sits there all black (it's on and illuminated, but nothing is happening at all).

I don't think I'm providing enough power to it, or I've completely destroyed it. I've plugged it into my USB 3.0 slots, wall charger, and used 5 different USB cables. 2 of which came with my Note 2, and GS4 (so I'm pretty confident they're 2A) and 1 of them I know is 2A, as I bought it specifically because it was advertised as such. It was just upgraded to a 4.3 ROM before this happened, although I'm sure that's not a factor.

Any suggestions?

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

Indeed, historically custom ROMs have disabled OTAs, but it seems to be happening on a lot of them.

So I disabled the updater service in that link and GSF stopped using up all my data. No idea why it decided to download it on a non-stock ROM.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

i barely GNU her! posted:

So I disabled the updater service in that link and GSF stopped using up all my data. No idea why it decided to download it on a non-stock ROM.
I wish they'd just start the CM10.2 nightlies but yeah, Google's changed something in how the framework detects needed software updates and this breaks the method ROM makers have been using to prevent it.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
I would like to root my HTC one to get my bluetooth Playstation 3 controller to pair with it. I have very little experience doing this, and would prefer to not wipe my phone if at all possible. I am okay with HTC sense, so installing custom ROMs is not important. I just want to install some Play store apps that require root.

Googling how to do this without wiping leads to some sketchy looking sites that I don't know if I should trust, so I'll leave it to you folks. What is the most pain-free way to root my HTC one? Bonus points if it doesn't get wiped, but I think I could back up a majority of the content if I need to.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
In case anyone hasn't seen by now, JBQ has quit AOSP.

https://plus.google.com/112218872649456413744/posts/9HHRURorE7g

It shows from his posts in the last few months that he's been increasingly frustrated with how AOSP is handled within Google, and the last straw seems to have been Qualcomm's refusal to allow Google to post factory images or driver packages for the 2013 Nexus 7. We're not talking about source or anything like that, just the same exact binaries that ship on every single device, the missing pieces you still need on top of the open source code to run the hardware.

JBQ posted:

There's no point being the maintainer of an Operating System that can't boot to the home screen on its flagship device for lack of GPU support, especially when I'm getting the blame for something that I don't have authority to fix myself and that I had anticipated and escalated more than 6 months ahead.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Rusty Kettle posted:

I would like to root my HTC one to get my bluetooth Playstation 3 controller to pair with it. I have very little experience doing this, and would prefer to not wipe my phone if at all possible. I am okay with HTC sense, so installing custom ROMs is not important. I just want to install some Play store apps that require root.

You can't root an HTC device until you unlock the bootloader. Unlocking the bootloader wipes the device. No exceptions. /data will get wiped upon bootloader unlock.

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:
I notice when I try to copy a nandroid backup from my phone to my computer via MTP it doesn't copy all the files, even using adb pull. I have to reboot into recovery and adb pull them. Is this normal? Using CM10.1 on a Nexus 4 with latest TWRP.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Copying Foghelmut's post from the chromecast thread, Cyanogen's getting OS-level chromecast support.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/08/09/koush-demonstrates-streaming-to-chromecast-with-any-media-app-on-cyanogenmod/

quote:

Ever since Jelly Bean, the reasons to switch to a custom ROM (as opposed to a stock, rooted build) have been slowly shrinking. But today ClockworkMod Recovery developer Koushik "Koush" Dutta gave us a reason to be incredibly excited for upcoming builds of CyanogenMod. With a little tweaking of the famous ROM family, he's managed to integrate Chromecast streaming across the system, making any video or audio app compatible.
Koush's demonstration video is convincing. Start an applicable audio or video player, and a "Play on Chromecast" notification will pop into the tray. Tap it, and the file will play on your Chromecast TV dongle, no muss and no fuss. And more importantly, there's no need for developers to update their apps with the Chromecast API. Presumably this addition to the CyanogenMod ROM includes the ability to stream local files and cloud files, as Koush demonstrated previously.
This method seems to work so seamlessly between Android, Chromecast, and any apps that use media APIs, that you have to wonder why Google didn't try to do something similar by baking in some of this functionality into Android 4.3. As usual with CyanogenMod, there's no word on when end users will see this added functionality, but I'd expect it to pop up in CyanogenMod 10.2 builds (Android 4.3) before too long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTWHL30gyg4

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are

Binge posted:

So I turned off the setting on my Nexus 7 (original) that charges the battery in an off state. I ADB'd a command to power up the device when it receives power. I did this because I was going to install it in my car. Since that car got smashed in an accident (and I'm glad I procrastinated installing it), I'd like to turn that back off.

BUT, I accidentally let the device power off from absolutely no battery power left. When I plug it in, it usually just boots up, sits there, then powers off, then repeats for hours. The 2 times I've managed to allow this to happen, it usually catches up with itself after a while and finally has enough juice to stay on. Not this time however! When I plug it in, the screen kinda flips out, and it just sits there all black (it's on and illuminated, but nothing is happening at all).

I don't think I'm providing enough power to it, or I've completely destroyed it. I've plugged it into my USB 3.0 slots, wall charger, and used 5 different USB cables. 2 of which came with my Note 2, and GS4 (so I'm pretty confident they're 2A) and 1 of them I know is 2A, as I bought it specifically because it was advertised as such. It was just upgraded to a 4.3 ROM before this happened, although I'm sure that's not a factor.

Any suggestions?

Is it the "pixel party" bug? Try this. It sounds dumb but it works, you have to let it charge for quite a while after you do it (mine took about 15 minutes), then download a battery calibration app and clear your battery stats. It's a bug related to the battery stats getting corrupted and not recognizing the correct battery charge level.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

gently caress I want this right now. I will probably use cyanogenmod for the first time ever.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

I'm dying to get CM 10.2 for that, Focal, and according to Ars Technica much better performance and battery life on the Nexus 4.

Seven Round Things
Mar 22, 2010

Tatsujin posted:

I notice when I try to copy a nandroid backup from my phone to my computer via MTP it doesn't copy all the files, even using adb pull. I have to reboot into recovery and adb pull them. Is this normal? Using CM10.1 on a Nexus 4 with latest TWRP.
Same issue, it's due to the permissions TWRP sets. (It works in recovery because presumably adbd is in root mode then.) I eventually found that
code:
su
chmod -R 777 /data/media/0/TWRP
made them accessible to me.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

That's nice, but I'd much rather someone make it able to stream stuff from my computer, since it's got a far greater capacity.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

hooah posted:

That's nice, but I'd much rather someone make it able to stream stuff from my computer, since it's got a far greater capacity.

Kinda round about, but Wi-Fi share to phone, then to tv?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I'm trying to Root my Sprint Galaxy Note 2 (4.1.2 MC2 Build). The Note 2 toolkit that I normally use doesn't go up to that build. Any recommendations?

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

hooah posted:

I wonder how horrendous the lag would be if you could use it as a second monitor. It would be sweet if it works.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

FlyingCheese posted:

I wonder how horrendous the lag would be if you could use it as a second monitor. It would be sweet if it works.
You realize you're asking for exactly AirPlay under Mavericks, right?

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

LastInLine posted:

You realize you're asking for exactly AirPlay under Mavericks, right?

Well, I guess that's what I get for not upgrading past Snow Leopard. I should probably get around to that.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

hooah posted:

This is trivial - I can already just go to a network share in ES explorer and play 1080p mkvs on my phone in Mxplayer, so presumably this could be Chromecasted with this Cyanogenmod feature.

I don't do this as I have a boxee, but I could.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
My at&t S3 unexplainably started locking up and rebooting almost all day saturday then unexplainably started working fine. Why?

I woke up and it was fine for a couple hours and then as soon as I opened anything, browser, awful app, quickpic, stock gallery it would either immediately reboot or it would freeze and not respond to touch and I'd get "browser is not responding would you like to close" (or other app besides browser) then a few seconds after that it'd say "system is not responding would you like to close"

It had cm10.1 stable on it dirty-flashed from cm10.0 stable. I thought this may be a problem so I did a wipe of everything but system.

Problem still happened, I thought maybe a bad rom flash, I wiped system and reflashed.

Problem still happened, I thought maybe a bug in cm10.1 that hadn't shown it self to me in the month I'd had it.

I wiped everything flashed cm10.0, problem still happens.

I wiped everything again flashed 10.1 still hosed. I gave up thinking hw failure and went to sleep. It worked fine all day sun and today. What could've been going on?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Wagonburner posted:

My at&t S3 unexplainably started locking up and rebooting almost all day saturday then unexplainably started working fine. Why?

Well, I'm no expert, but cm10.1/an app you had installed may have been loving up.

revolther
May 27, 2008

Wagonburner posted:

:words:
What could've been going on?
Well wiping everything BUT your system is kind of weird and ineffectual in this case. When you are flashing a new rom or dirty flashing a new nightly/version, you want to wipe your /system to delete the existing ROM while keeping /data to preserve your apps/settings unless changing from builds like Stock-> CM/AOSP where it's "best" to start clean.

In wiping everything BUT your system you may have very well wiped /boot and deleted your kernel which will result in bootloops. Is it possible that in your panicked wiping/flashing you killed the compatible kernel (10/10.1 varying) bootlooping then reflashed it eventually while flashing back and forth between 10/10.1.

Were you using the same TWRP/CWM recovery each time or SD card recovery image? Are you S-Off with an unsecured bootloader? I only partially maintain a Sprint SGS3, but throwing some ideas out there. It's all acting normal now?

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

revolther posted:

Well wiping everything BUT your system is kind of weird and ineffectual in this case. When you are flashing a new rom or dirty flashing a new nightly/version, you want to wipe your /system to delete the existing ROM while keeping /data to preserve your apps/settings unless changing from builds like Stock-> CM/AOSP where it's "best" to start clean.

In wiping everything BUT your system you may have very well wiped /boot and deleted your kernel which will result in bootloops. Is it possible that in your panicked wiping/flashing you killed the compatible kernel (10/10.1 varying) bootlooping then reflashed it eventually while flashing back and forth between 10/10.1.

Were you using the same TWRP/CWM recovery each time or SD card recovery image? Are you S-Off with an unsecured bootloader? I only partially maintain a Sprint SGS3, but throwing some ideas out there. It's all acting normal now?

When I said wiped everything I meant data, cache, dalvik, a factory reset, should have been more specific there.

I was using twrp from /recovery, I never did mess around with /boot. But yeah all completely back to normal now, for no real reason, I haven't changed anything since the last clean flash of 10.1 stable sat night that was acting up sat night.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Wagonburner posted:

Have you updated your RPM/Radio/Trustzone lately? Newer CM's rely on keeping those things up to date on SGS3 variants.

Looks like the latest firmware update on the d2att is known as MG2. If you check your phone status and look up the baseband you'll be able to see which version you're on (MG2 will be the last 3 characters).

If not, you should be able to snag the package from this site: http://invisiblek.org/d2firmware.html

I know the site looks all sketchy, but the files in there are legit. As a D2VZW owner we have to go through these pains too.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
I got cm installed and I like it. There is one feature I can't figure out. On touchwiz I'd you have 5 screens of you swipe all the way to the right it will actually circle around to screen 1. Is there a way to activate that on CM?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

SalTheBard posted:

I got cm installed and I like it. There is one feature I can't figure out. On touchwiz I'd you have 5 screens of you swipe all the way to the right it will actually circle around to screen 1. Is there a way to activate that on CM?

That's dependent on the launcher. I never really used Trebuchet so I don't know, but there should be a setting relevant to that in the Trebuchet settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
That's a launcher feature that I'm not sure CM's launcher, Trebuchet, offers. Nova does it (basically every launcher does) and it's called "infinite scroll" in its menu.