Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qntm
Jun 17, 2009

GorfZaplen posted:

Source unknown, my guess would be from one of the many science pages in a comic along the lines of Strange Adventures or Tales of the Unexpected

Every word of this is wrong!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
It makes more sense when you realize that "ORBITING HOSPITAL" really means "DEATH CAMP FOR UNDESIRABLES".

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Vengeance of Pandas posted:

Hoax Hunters is pretty fun, they're essentially a secret team investigating and dealing with urban legends, monsters etc. but they hide the real results by dressing it up as a reality tv show and offering reasonable explanations, like swamp gas.

Issue 9 they investigated a haunted house and split the issue in half, first was the broadcast show and then the second half was what really happened.

So.

Becomes

And

Was the edited version of

This looks cute, how many issues are there?

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!
Nine with a new arc starting up in September, you can read issue 0 and part of the first on Keenspot to get a taste.

http://hoaxhunters.keenspot.com/

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I've been reading Carl Barks's Donald Duck stories and they are simply phenomenal. From Donald Duck and the Golden Christmas Tree:

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Carl Banks' works are worth checking out. Don Rosa did a great job with Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck as a follow up.

There's a list of notable stories in the wiki article.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Barks

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you

Flash Annual #2

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I thought this was a fun moment from All-New X-Men #15

That's Rachel Grey and young Jean Grey in case you didn't know. Probably the most elegant way to basically say "you know, we're not going to deal with all the bullshit surrounding Rachel Grey's character. Deal with it".

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Hakkesshu posted:

That's Rachel Grey and young Jean Grey in case you didn't know. Probably the most elegant way to basically say "you know, we're not going to deal with all the bullshit surrounding Rachel Grey's character. Deal with it".

I don't read the x-men comics beyond special events here or there. Can someone summarize said bullshit?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Hakkesshu posted:

I thought this was a fun moment from All-New X-Men #15

There isn't that much bullshit to her, she's just Cyclops and Jean Gray's daughter from another timeline. Pretty simple.

I think this is a continuation of the joke about Jean finding out all this stuff that happened in the years she skipped, like when she asked how she died and Hank asked which time.

Still really funny though. Pretty much everything involving the old X-Men playing catch up has been hilarious. Between it and the antics in Wolverine and the X-Men, it's a good time for funny X shenanigans.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Aug 7, 2013

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I dunno man, her origins might be pretty simple (as far as comic books go), but the history of that character is some real convoluted nonsense that I'm not even going to try and sum up.

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.

Kull the Conqueror posted:

I've been reading Carl Barks's Donald Duck stories and they are simply phenomenal. From Donald Duck and the Golden Christmas Tree:

Donald Duck is an ice-cold motherfucker:

(Don't know the exact source, but it's most likely from the same era.)

MVP
Nov 1, 2012

by Lowtax
I'm expecting the Greys to open up their computer intestines with that style.

Seriously that artist should be on Megaman.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

xarph posted:

I don't read the x-men comics beyond special events here or there. Can someone summarize said bullshit?
She is the daughter of Scott Summers and Jean Grey from an alternate future that will never happen who came back in time. Her family consists of her half-brother, who is the son of Scott Summers and a clone of Jean Grey who was born in the present and then sent to an alternate future that will never happen to be raised, except it was a different alternate future than Rachel's so she grew up without ever knowing she had a brother until she came back in time.

There are two copies of her father running around, one of whom is younger than she is, and neither actually fathered her. There is only one of her mother, who is younger than she is. Rachel has, in the past, played host to a cosmic force of pure destruction and resurrection which may or may not be the embodiment of her mother, but still not the mother who actually gave birth to her. Her half-brother is older than her and also older than all of the versions of her parents.

Oh, and there's Hope Summers, who is the adopted daughter of her half-brother from the present who was sent to an alternate future. Hope was born in the present and then taken to be raised in yet another alternate future that will never happen, and came back with him when she was approximately Rachel's age.

X-Men, everybody! :haw:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

CapnAndy posted:

X-Men, everybody! :haw:

She actually has two alternate reality brothers, Cable and X-Man(singular), both named Nate Gray because their alternate universe versions of each other, Cable from the main universe(who's still alternate since Rachael is from yet another timeline)and X-Man from the Age of Apocalypse.

I also don't think Hope is quite that old, or at least that isn't how it comes off to me. She seems more like a teen. She still has to have foster parents or whatever when Cable is jailed.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

MVP posted:

I'm expecting the Greys to open up their computer intestines with that style.

Seriously that artist should be on Megaman.

Is that Immomen? He did Ultimate Spiderman for a while with a very similar style.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Just be thankful no one remembers or cares enough about Nate Summers.

Also this is the Jean Grey from the past before she's even in a relationship with Scott.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

SynthOrange posted:

Just be thankful no one remembers or cares enough about Nate Summers.

I think he's pretty cool, but he's got too little exposure. I think the last thing he was in was the last New Mutants relaunch.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Also Scott's parents are like, space-pirates or something, right?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

ConfusedUs posted:

Is that Immomen? He did Ultimate Spiderman for a while with a very similar style.

It was and it's obvious. Ultimate Bobby and Young Bobby look identical and his Young Jean Gray bears a strong resemblance to his Ultimate MJ.

Not complaining. Just some artists have a style, and Immomen is one.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Jerusalem posted:

Also Scott's parents are like, space-pirates or something, right?

Space corsairs.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

notthegoatseguy posted:

It was and it's obvious. Ultimate Bobby and Young Bobby look identical and his Young Jean Gray bears a strong resemblance to his Ultimate MJ.

Not complaining. Just some artists have a style, and Immomen is one.

It wasn't though. That page is by David Lafuente, who has also worked on USM. I don't know if he's taking over for Immonen on All-New, or if this month was a fill-in.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Well you see, the X-Men are a metaphor for persecuted minorities. In keeping with that theme, most of their history involves time travel and alien empires.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WickedHate posted:

She actually has two alternate reality brothers, Cable and X-Man(singular), both named Nate Gray because their alternate universe versions of each other, Cable from the main universe(who's still alternate since Rachael is from yet another timeline)and X-Man from the Age of Apocalypse.

I also don't think Hope is quite that old, or at least that isn't how it comes off to me. She seems more like a teen. She still has to have foster parents or whatever when Cable is jailed.

You need to read the new Cable & X-Force for yet another piece of the puzzle.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

You need to read the new Cable & X-Force for yet another piece of the puzzle.

I did. :woop:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh yeah and there's Stryfe too! Cable's evil clone brother who is also from the future.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That's good though. Just a few weeks ago she learned that everyone else in her family had been brutally murdered!

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Rachel also happens to have the worst costume in comics today.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Professor Wayne posted:

Rachel also happens to have the worst costume in comics today.

In that style, though, it looks intentionally stupid. Look at that teen. Nobody can tell HER what to do.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

"I can't wait until cancer inevitably chokes the life out of Curt Schilling."

WickedHate posted:

Space corsairs.

Actually both are currently dead. His mother was killed a long time ago by an evil space emperor, his dad became a space pirate resistance fighter who was later killed by a completely different evil space emperor, albeit from the same empire, who also happened to be his son who was recovered from his mother's corpse by the first evil space emperor and artificially aged to adulthood, is enslaved, escapes, joins the X-men, stuff happens, he goes into space, gets thrown in space prison, finds and heals the first evil space emperor who killed his mother and later got deposed in said space prison, marries evil space princess, kills evil space emperor and usurps his throne, launches a massive space war, and eventually gets killed in a throwdown with Black Bolt that tears open the fabric of reality, thus kicking off the Thanos Imperative event.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Protocol 5 posted:

Actually both are currently dead. His mother was killed a long time ago by an evil space emperor, his dad became a space pirate resistance fighter who was later killed by a completely different evil space emperor, albeit from the same space empire, who also happened to be his son who was recovered from his mother's corpse by the first evil space emperor and artificially aged to adulthood, is enslaved, escapes, joins the X-men, stuff happens, he goes into space, gets thrown in space prison, finds and heals the first evil space emperor who killed his mother and later got deposed in said space prison, marries evil space princess, kills evil space emperor and usurps his space throne, launches a massive space war, and eventually gets killed in a throwdown with Black Bolt that tears open the fabric of reality, thus kicking off the Thanos Imperative event.

Bolded bits are my additions. I mean Jesus Christ, try and get your continuity right, man :rolleyes:

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Im sorry can you repeat that? I kind of spaced out there for a minute.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Vulcan, we get it! You're from space!

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I think the best part is that we're all grossly oversimplifying everything. Because, y'know. Wouldn't want this to be hard to follow.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Exit Strategy posted:

In that style, though, it looks intentionally stupid. Look at that teen. Nobody can tell HER what to do.

Honestly, it looks like her old costume reformed so that at least she doesn't look like a hooker. I wonder if that thought transfer contained an explanation for why the rules of the evil-alternate-future-that-doesn't-exist-now sent someone who looks kinda like a dominatrix and kinda like a Japanese lady wrestler to kill her fellow mutants.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Nate Grey was also romantically involved with a psychic copy of an alternate universe clone of his mother at one point.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
There's a lot of it about.
Avengers #111.

And then there's the whole Polaris-Magneto weirdness.
New X-Men #132

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Say Nothing posted:

There's a lot of it about.
Avengers #111.

Yikes.

I think that was the first time Magneto was able to control the minds of his enemies by influencing the iron in their blood, wasn't it? He had this brilliantly hammy declaration that went like, "The X-Men thought they could defeat me, but now... MAGNETO RULES MINDS!"

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Magneto's powers in the 70s were so loosely defined to the point where he was battling Xavier on the astral plane and hypnotising people using his "magnetic attraction".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

Basically the X-Men are and forever will be hosed Up™

• Locked thread