Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

SnakesRevenge posted:

I have the best luck pulling the housing off and just giving that ink sack 5-6 good squeezes.

That's exactly what I did last night. Was afraid to at first because the sac seemed so flimsy, but screw it, the pen was cheap enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

"I'm Bender, baby, please insert liquor!"

kim jong-illin posted:

Hot drat, I got my TWSBI Vac 700 today and the nib sizing is wack. I ordered a 1.1 italic stub and the line it produces is closer to a Lamy 1.8 italic. Utterly gorgeous pen and beautifully smooth writing action but the enormous nib width makes it pretty wet and it feathers a fair bit even with inks that usually don't feather at all.

Sorry you are having trouble with your TWSBI and disappointed with the nib. Did you by any chance try swapping out and using the other nib that came with it? Also, are you unscrewing the end when you write? I've read that these 2 issues cause a lot of grief for people with the VAC700.
I have a TWSBI VAC 700, as well, and when I first got it, I was initially very disappointed with it. I was even considering sending it back for a refund or replacement. Then, I tried swapping out the nib and learned how to screw/unscrew the end when I write to control the ink flow. It is now one of the my favorite pens.
The nib is friction fit and quite easy to remove and replace (I think Goulet/Ink Nouveau has a video up about it), maybe you can get another nib if the above ideas don't work?

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
My buddy had a birthday last weekend, and I got him a Pilot Metro with a couple bottles of ink. He says he loves them, but I can't shake the feeling that it was the nerdiest gift. :downs:

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011

laertes22 posted:

Sorry you are having trouble with your TWSBI and disappointed with the nib. Did you by any chance try swapping out and using the other nib that came with it? Also, are you unscrewing the end when you write? I've read that these 2 issues cause a lot of grief for people with the VAC700.
I have a TWSBI VAC 700, as well, and when I first got it, I was initially very disappointed with it. I was even considering sending it back for a refund or replacement. Then, I tried swapping out the nib and learned how to screw/unscrew the end when I write to control the ink flow. It is now one of the my favorite pens.
The nib is friction fit and quite easy to remove and replace (I think Goulet/Ink Nouveau has a video up about it), maybe you can get another nib if the above ideas don't work?

Oh I'm not disappointed with it, it's a gorgeous pen. It's just not going to be the kind of pen I can replace my Lamy Safari with at work because it puts out too much ink to dry quickly enough.

I'll experiment with some different inks (already noticed Pelikan Onyx dries much faster than Noodler Eel Black in this pen) and unscrewing the end to see what happens. I have a Goulet replacement nib as well, so I'll give that a pop too.

Thanks for the advice!

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

^^^ Unscrewing the end is actually likely to increase the ink flow and make the nib wetter. You have to unscrew it because it's a plunger pen, so if you don't do that then as you use ink up nothing enters the chamber to replace it and so the pen dries up.

Aramek posted:

My buddy had a birthday last weekend, and I got him a Pilot Metro with a couple bottles of ink. He says he loves them, but I can't shake the feeling that it was the nerdiest gift. :downs:

Assuming you live in the US, you use a fountain pen = people already look at you funny. Don't sweat it anymore, your fate is to be that guy who uses fountain pens always.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Kessel posted:

Assuming you live in the US, you use a fountain pen = people already look at you funny. Don't sweat it anymore, your fate is to be that guy who uses fountain pens always.

I love handing over a Metro or a TWSBI when someone asks to borrow a pen. Half the time they don't know what to do with it and it's hilarious to watch. That being said, I gave my groomsmen TWSBI 540s, and they thought it was the neatest thing ever. Hell, my dad got a Vac 700, and he's hooked!

xilixliadon
Jul 2, 2013
Thinking about converting my metro to eyedropper fill, as it seems solid enough and has a sealed body. Anyone done this?

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

xilixliadon posted:

Thinking about converting my metro to eyedropper fill, as it seems solid enough and has a sealed body. Anyone done this?

In this review http://blog.shopwritersbloc.com/fountain_pens/pilot_metropolitan_fountain_pe.html they claim it's not suitable due to the metal body. I'm guessing because it might react with some inks? I've never done it myself.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Solkanar512 posted:

I love handing over a Metro or a TWSBI when someone asks to borrow a pen. Half the time they don't know what to do with it and it's hilarious to watch. That being said, I gave my groomsmen TWSBI 540s, and they thought it was the neatest thing ever. Hell, my dad got a Vac 700, and he's hooked!

But then they'll use pressure and ruin the nib forever :byodood:

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

xilixliadon posted:

I tried this (and ended up pissing off a bunch of folks on FPN when I asked). What basically happens is that the pen starts releasing way too much ink. I had drips in some cases.

It's such a shame, it would make that pen perfect. As far as reaction between metals is concerned, I looked it up, and the corrosion effect would have taken years to show up.

Luisfe posted:

But then they'll use pressure and ruin the nib forever :byodood:

Most of the people I hand a pen to are deathly afraid of applying pressure then decide that they just don't like the pen. What can you do?

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
At work yesterday I got to find out why one shouldn't cheap out on converters. I had picked up a plunger style converter that fits standard international size pens for $0.25 at the local stationery store a few weeks ago and filled it with some Pelikan brilliant black. Took it to work for the past week and was loving having my pen and not having to worry about changing cartridges when I ran low. :smug:

Then yesterday I noticed that somehow ink had leaked past the plunger and started filling the body of the pen and there was now ink coming out of the threads above the grip and all over my hand.
:negative:

Now I'm buying a standard international converter on Goulet Pens. Oh, and a Metropolitan, since they're on sale. And adding the Con-50 to the Metropolitan since I don't like the Con-20s that well. And since I'm paying for shipping anyway, why not grab a bottle of Noodler's Air Corp Blue Black...:shepface:

My five dollar order is rapidly approaching fifty.:shepspends:

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I thought metropolitans can't take the con-70 due to size?

Also, Tsuki-yo and other Iroshizuku inks are the best way to spend too much money on not-pens.

Welsper fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Aug 1, 2013

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Kessel posted:

One of my favorite idiotic stories is the time I swapped pens in class, and the woman sitting next to me thought I'd done a magic trick, since the color changed. She told me to tell people I was a wizard instead of the truth :3

As an aside, if you wear pants with proper slacks-style pockets, don't sit on a curb. I'm pretty sure I lost my 45 at a rest stop that way :( Well, it's that or I packed it away somewhere; it sure as hell wasn't in my pocket or my car when I checked.

Also, being that guy isn't all bad. If you're still in school, older teachers get kinda nostalgic about them, and sometimes you can end up selling a Metropolitan for $20 in a bar to a friend!

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Welsper posted:

I thought metropolitans can't take the con-70 due to size?

Also, Tsuki-yo and other Iroshizuku inks are the best way to spend too much money on not-pens.

They can't. They come with a Con-20 (ugh) and they can take a Con-50. Goulet "helpfully" offers the Con-50 as an add-on on the Metropolitan order page. It's only $5.50 more...

Pens, guns, and woodworking. Why couldn't I choose inexpensive hobbies?

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Magnus Praeda posted:

They can't. They come with a Con-20 (ugh) and they can take a Con-50. Goulet "helpfully" offers the Con-50 as an add-on on the Metropolitan order page. It's only $5.50 more...

My innumeracy aside, isn't a con-20 preferable to a con-50 due capacity?
It's why I swapped to the con-20 in my vanishing point.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Welsper posted:

My innumeracy aside, isn't a con-20 preferable to a con-50 due capacity?
It's why I swapped to the con-20 in my vanishing point.

The con-20 has more capacity, yes. The con-50 is a piston fill rather than a squeeze-bulb fill, however, making them far easier to use (in my opinion) and easier to judge how much ink is remaining. Besides, there's only like 5-10 fewer pages worth of writing with a con-50. I'll save the con-20 for a Plumix or something.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Fair enough.

While we're on the topic of Pilot, has anyone got an opinion on the new Justus 95?

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

More importantly, the Con-50 is legendary among Pilot collectors for being a piece of poo poo compared to the 20 (better capacity) and the 70 (better capacity and the ink doesn't stick to the drat converter walls, making it difficult to clean.)

Welsper posted:

Fair enough.

While we're on the topic of Pilot, has anyone got an opinion on the new Justus 95?

Tried it at a store. A genuinely interesting idea and fun to write with but I honestly have no idea if I could use it as a daily writer without actually bringing it home and subjecting it to the daily grind.

Rodney Chops
Jan 5, 2006
Exceedingly Narrow Minded

Welsper posted:

Fair enough.

Very neat idea. I just get the feeling from looking at it that it would be a jack of all trades master of none. For that price I would perfer to have more pens...?

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
My sister mentioned that there's a place in San Francisco called FLAX - which sells Noodler's ink and a staggering amount of stuff that's art and stationery related. I'm going to check it out during lunch today!

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
Anyone have any advice on grinding down nibs? I want to slim down my 1.1 stub italic TWSBI Vac 700 nib because the line's too wide for daily use. I have a replacement nib so it doesn't matter if I damage this one (all part of the learning process!)

xilixliadon
Jul 2, 2013

kim jong-illin posted:

Anyone have any advice on grinding down nibs? I want to slim down my 1.1 stub italic TWSBI Vac 700 nib because the line's too wide for daily use. I have a replacement nib so it doesn't matter if I damage this one (all part of the learning process!)

Here's the best site I've found for an instructional.

http://www.marcuslink.com/pens/aboutpens/ludwig-tan.html

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
So I just passed my professional license exams and want to treat myself to a nice gold nib and pen. So far my favorites have been my F singularity and F safari; do you guys have any suggestions as to what pens I should start looking into? And what price ranges will I start out at?

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I suggest a Lamy 2000. It's usually around $120, which is the starting point for gold nibbed pens.

Other gold nibbed pens in the $100-$200 bracket:

Pilot Vanishing Point
Namiki Falcon
Sailor 1911M
Pilot Custom 74

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Get a nice vintage Parker '51.

Welsper
Jan 14, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
e: nevermind

Welsper fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Aug 7, 2013

Rodney Chops
Jan 5, 2006
Exceedingly Narrow Minded
My order from wonder pens got here today. Quick shipping, nicely packed (not quite as overkill as goulet). Came with a free fortune telling fish, that for some reason my wife thinks is the best thing ever.

Would recommend for any canadian goons. Also thanks to whoever posted them.

Got a 1.1 italic nib for my al-star and a big bottle of noodlers red-black. Really enjoyed a sample of it.

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits
I don't mind the overpackaging that Goulet does, personally, because I can always give the extra stuff to other people (mostly my boyfriend) who ship stuff in the mail pretty often.

Does anyone have an ink syringe and think it'd be a good investment? I have a bunch of sample vials that all have a good amount of ink left in them, but not quite enough to be able to draw into the pen normally. I'm afraid of just trying to pull out the nib/feed and pour it in because I know I'll make a mess. Not too interested in eyedropper conversions either (I like to change inks out a lot, so lower capacity is fine for me.)

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
I have an ink syringe and use it for converter refills, since I can get the converter much fuller and also it's less messy.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011

xilixliadon posted:

Here's the best site I've found for an instructional.

http://www.marcuslink.com/pens/aboutpens/ludwig-tan.html

Thank you for this! The shop he used has everything I need for it and is in my country too, which is a bonus.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I use a syringe for ink all the time, mostly for cartridge refils but also to fill up eyedropper pens or put ink into vials for travel so I'm not toting a whole bottle around. They're a handy thing to have around.

I have a beater pen that I'd like to pull the nib off of -- it leaks and is too damaged to bother with fixing, and as far as I can tell it's just a low-end old pen with a surprisingly flexible steel nib -- but I suspect that it's all glued together because nothing unscrews to come apart. What will be the best way to loosen this thing up, especially if I don't really give a poo poo about saving any of the rest of it? Hairdryer? Heat gun? Open flame? A hammer? :haw:

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009
I use an ink syringe, I got a 10 pack off Amazon for 7$ http://www.amazon.com/Syringes-Blunt-Fill-Needles-pack/dp/B003EE5GUS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1375915970&sr=8-2&keywords=blunt+syringe
Much easier and cleaner.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Everything Burrito posted:

What will be the best way to loosen this thing up, especially if I don't really give a poo poo about saving any of the rest of it? Hairdryer? Heat gun? Open flame? A hammer? :haw:

If you're ever going to own or work on vintage pens, a heat gun will be invaluable.

(I will let your use of the f-word with respect to a steel nib go, even though it pains me.)

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

If you're ever going to own or work on vintage pens, a heat gun will be invaluable.

(I will let your use of the f-word with respect to a steel nib go, even though it pains me.)

I don't know how else to describe it since that's what it does :v:

Strangelet Wave
Nov 6, 2004

Surely you're joking!

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Hey now, we want to be nice and inclusive in this here thread! Even Richard Binder has repented of his gold snobbery.

Strangelet Wave fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Aug 8, 2013

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Steel nibs can be great - I love my LAMY and my Reynolds - but you can never make a steel 'flex' fountain-pen nib that performs like a vintage gold nib could.

The Noodlers Nib Creaper, the Stipula T-Flex, and the Platinum cool are marketed or purchased based on the mythical magical 'modern flex', but try them in the hand against a vintage gold nib and you'll notice that the feel so very different. The more vintage pens I acquire and use, the more firm I become in this belief.

For steel nibs I gladly use the word 'variation', but not 'flex'. Of course, that's just me!

(Note to self - scan pen/ink journal to share examples of vintage flex versus modern variation.)

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
This isn't a modern pen. poo poo's old, yo.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
Who let all these pen hipsters into my thread?

Yeah, modern steel nibs aren't going to be as flexy as vintage gold nibs, but people aren't really doing copperplate as their everyday handwriting anymore either. If you like your vintage nibs that can flex out to a mile, great, but don't anybody sit on a throne and scowl down at the unwashed peons because their writing tool isn't as bendy in places as yours.

In unrelated news, flying with a bulb converter sucks. Get a piston converter for your Metro if you want to fly with it and keep that poo poo topped up (or completely empty).

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

DurianGray posted:

I don't mind the overpackaging that Goulet does, personally, because I can always give the extra stuff to other people (mostly my boyfriend) who ship stuff in the mail pretty often.

Does anyone have an ink syringe and think it'd be a good investment? I have a bunch of sample vials that all have a good amount of ink left in them, but not quite enough to be able to draw into the pen normally. I'm afraid of just trying to pull out the nib/feed and pour it in because I know I'll make a mess. Not too interested in eyedropper conversions either (I like to change inks out a lot, so lower capacity is fine for me.)

I got an ink syringe and never stopped using it. Now I wonder why anybody these days still bother refilling their ink the traditional way.

Sooo much cleaner to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.

I clicked on this and now my Amazon front page is full of needles and I look like a drug addict. It was for my pens!!:argh: