Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
The best way to remember rune combinations is to notice the runes correspond to letters of the alphabet, which in turn are the first letters of each phrase.

Ex:
T T F in runes is The True Fist
T P I in runes is The Phoenix Incantation
E I S is Extra Item Stock
C S W is Call Sylphide's Wind
T S K is The Skeleton Key
P A D is Potency And Durability

and etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CousinKevin
Oct 16, 2012

Ever since they worked on that project together, her life turned around and became more exciting.
I haven't really had any problems with bosses or anything in the game, then I got to the stupid pirates and genie in the ghost ship and had to use like 5 continues. Fight wasn't really fun like the others, more just a giant cluster gently caress.

Also, "Doom Beetle" is probably the stupidest name for a boss and I love it

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

CousinKevin posted:

I haven't really had any problems with bosses or anything in the game, then I got to the stupid pirates and genie in the ghost ship and had to use like 5 continues. Fight wasn't really fun like the others, more just a giant cluster gently caress.

That fight was awesome because I got to the lamp first and the genie wrecks poo poo so hardcore. I could see it being a pain if you don't though.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I beat up the dragon, no big deal. Unskippable credits suck though.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Holy poo poo the AI is totally incapable of dealing with the kraken.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

CousinKevin posted:

It's really surprising to me that people would have trouble with that boss, then again I'm a dwarf and I just grab and throw everybody so that just becomes a clusterfuck of bodies flying everywhere.

Having seen what the gazer can do though, I can totally see some bosses just being ridiculously hard with certain characters.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

I have to assume anyone who had problems there didn't grab the lamp.

So far the only fight that's seemed really hard to me is that loving door but I might just need bigger numbers.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Bussamove posted:

That fight was awesome because I got to the lamp first and the genie wrecks poo poo so hardcore. I could see it being a pain if you don't though.
I just was apparently a pixel off or so my first several attempts so I gave up. I finally managed at the very end when there were far less pirates. My second run-through the level was obviously not remotely as problematic.

tooooooo bad posted:

Holy poo poo the AI is totally incapable of dealing with the kraken spells traps bosses anything.
Corrected. Game became so much more playable after I disabled them. I've kept a few higher-level ones around though to assist my new non-tank characters.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Is it possible to protect the village girls from the vampires?

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

I've watched the AI stand in fire and cook themselves to death.

Sure, I've beaten that boss without any of the 3 village girls dying. I dunno what happens if you let 1 of em die, or if you just keep going forward and ignore saving any of em before the boss.

Atomic Robo-Kid fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Aug 8, 2013

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

Comrade Flynn posted:

I've had runs where I picked up three of the captives and ended the fight with three captives, so I presume so. I don't think it really does very much for you though, I've also sped through the ruins rescuing none of the girls and didn't really notice anything different (I think I even grabbed two S rank items that run).

Stylo
May 17, 2010
Every once in a while my AIs beat the living poo poo out of poor Rannie :(

EDIT: Item rankings seem to be somewhat irrelevant. I found a B rank staff for my sorc that has a higher low-end than the high-end of similar level A staves. I guess rank is the number of affixes then?

Stylo fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Aug 8, 2013

limbohead
Jan 1, 2005
pigeons is rats with magic inside
Can't say I was expecting the killer rabbit boss. Such a great fight.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

Stylo posted:

Every once in a while my AIs beat the living poo poo out of poor Rannie :(

EDIT: Item rankings seem to be somewhat irrelevant. I found a B rank staff for my sorc that has a higher low-end than the high-end of similar level A staves. I guess rank is the number of affixes then?

I think higher ranked weapons/armor have a better chance to get more affixes, but it's not set in stone or anything.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

nftyw posted:

I've had runs where I picked up three of the captives and ended the fight with three captives, so I presume so. I don't think it really does very much for you though, I've also sped through the ruins rescuing none of the girls and didn't really notice anything different (I think I even grabbed two S rank items that run).

You can ignore the girls completely, or try and save them. You get a 3,000 point bonus per living girl at the end of the stage (which equates to 300 XP per girl, not shabby at all).

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Wait, I thought the game said you could change difficulty from Hard back to Normal in the Tavern, but I'm not finding it there. Am I looking in the wrong place?

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Pray at the temple.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

OK chaining along with other players is a shitload of fun. :neckbeard:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Am I supposed to be overleveled all the time?

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

ApeEscape posted:

I guess what I was asking is more along the lines of character movement. They seem to be sluggishly slow. I guess to compare the character movement/actions seems to be slower than a game such as Castle Crashers.

I know this was way back but I found a mantle for my elf that gives her +11% movement speed. Anyone know why I can't eat the poo poo I cook? It's pretty annoying how everyone gets to eat the stuff I made except me and when I try to click on the stuff other people make it doesn't do jack. I have eaten before but at times it just denies me.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Marogareh posted:

I know this was way back but I found a mantle for my elf that gives her +11% movement speed. Anyone know why I can't eat the poo poo I cook? It's pretty annoying how everyone gets to eat the stuff I made except me and when I try to click on the stuff other people make it doesn't do jack. I have eaten before but at times it just denies me.

I assume you're dragging stuff to the proper plate for your player position (P1 = red, P2 = blue, etc.)? If you're still having trouble, here's the entire process:

- Grab food by clicking on it and put it into whatever cooking vessel you want (although I generally just put it into whichever is in front of my bowl by player placement). It seems like you can add one meat or one vegetable, then whatever spices are on the right side, including the beaker of liquid.
- Stir when prompted.
- When it's ready to be scooped out, you have to select the serve option, then click and hold in the cooking device, drag your cursor to your plate, then release. Why they made it work fundamentally different from putting things in the pots, I have no idea.
- Mash on your plate to eat, then start over.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Ruddha posted:

Not a SJW myself, but alas: I could not possibly force myself to play this game. A lot of it seems very fun and cool; however, the way a lot of the women look makes me feel uncomfortable when I see it, because it's so messed up to my mind to draw a cartoon person that looks that way. The reason is my mind doesn't like hypersexualized drawings or renderings, even a best selling hentai wouldn't be able to change my mind, because my brain sees it immediately as being creepy and weird as hell. I hope everyone who buys it has a bigtime good experience playing the game, I just simply couldn't do it myself. Thank you very much for reading my post today.
Thanks Ruder friend, I just got it and it's super incredibly fun - this is the way games are meant to be played.

SilentD
Aug 22, 2012

by toby

Schubalts posted:

I would like to say "gently caress the minotaur". Its short little jumps can damage you, and it can knock you down and then play hopscotch on your face.

I recoiled from the image of grilled minotaur tongue in the artbook, but I will gladly feed that bastard its own tongue, now, after fighting it.

I didn't even die on that... what did you fight him with?

OrganizedInsanity
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

RoyalScion posted:

The best way to remember rune combinations is to notice the runes correspond to letters of the alphabet, which in turn are the first letters of each phrase.

Ex:
T T F in runes is The True Fist
T P I in runes is The Phoenix Incantation
E I S is Extra Item Stock
C S W is Call Sylphide's Wind
T S K is The Skeleton Key
P A D is Potency And Durability

and etc.

How do you lead with the normal runestone? Like right now I have the S runestone but can't use it to start an incantation

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Doesn't matter what order you place the runes in.

I struggled fighting the minotaur with a warrior.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Am I supposed to be overleveled all the time?
Do you mean you're always higher than the level ratings, or do you mean you can't get by without power-levelling? Because for me it's a bit of the latter. I feel I need to keep backtracking a bit to get my level up to at least the plot mission's rating. And playing the missions at par is quite challenging for me.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

SilentD posted:

I didn't even die on that... what did you fight him with?

I was playing Amazon. I didn't die to him, but I sure came close a few times, and my AI buddies got wrecked when he pinned them in the corner repeatedly.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
How do you activate Impact Arrow and Clone Shot on the Elf? I think Impact Arrow is airborne charge but I can't tell, and I've never figured out how to get clone shot to work.

Also is there any reason to have less than 4 party members? We have 3 humans and 1 AI.

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Aug 8, 2013

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Is there a good guide for what I should be doing as the Elf? It sounds like people say I shouldn't be kicking stuff but I run out of arrows and there isn't much else to do while I gather them back.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Aug 8, 2013

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Lakbay posted:

Also is there any reason to have less than 4 party members? We have 3 humans and 1 AI.

As far as I can tell the only reason would be that some quests require being done solo.

Radish posted:

Is there a good guide for what I should be doing as the Elf? It sounds like people say I shouldn't be kicking stuff but I run out of arrows and there isn't much to do while I gather them back.

Pull out your dagger and stab poo poo in the back for massive damage.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

Lakbay posted:

How do you activate Impact Arrow and Clone Shot on the Elf? I think Impact Arrow is airborne charge but I can't tell, and I've never figured out how to get clone shot to work.

Clone shot works for either the upwards arcing shot or the running arrow shot. I don't know about Impact Arrow though.

You may as well have as many party members as you want to be honest. I did the first "half" of the game solo or with 1 AI and now i'm at the second part it's just way more difficult to solo so i'm running with a full team of random guys I resurrect. I'd love to play online but I get a tonne of lag and network issues if I try to.

edit - when people say "don't kick" as the elf that's more "don't kick til you've used all your arrows". If you've got a couple of daggers and are using them every time you run out of arrows you'll run out of daggers too fast, when I first got the dagger upgrade and only had 3 I would save them for the boss then tear into them after my arrows were gone.

Kicking does low damage but you can juggle people really easily and as long as you're paying attention you can kick stuff up then dodge away from any danger. Dodge is really really strong.

Thievery fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Aug 8, 2013

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
What do extra bags do? The way Samuel introduced them it made it sound like it was backup gear for dungeons, but I noticed only one can be equipped at a time. Is it just a way of organizing an alternate loadout but only accessible in overworld?

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Willias posted:

It takes some getting used to. You just don't do much damage with your basic attacks, and it can make you feel really weak (though you can juggle the hell out of just about anything). My suggestion: Get the Rapid Fire (or whatever skill it is that lets you shoot more than one arrow in succession) and learn to own the hell out of tough enemies with a quick burst of arrows.

After I got the hang of doing that, I can pick off just about any enemy I choose on the screen before my brother on his dwarf can react. It seems early on that you're supposed to rely on charged arrow shots, but when playing with other players, very rarely do you have time to do that on anything but bosses.

I think I'm starting to get the hang of her. I've seen people complain about the Minotaur being the first difficult boss, but I managed to kite him to death after my fighter AI zerged himself to death in 30 seconds. I'm doing the story missions with one AI partner, but doing the quests solo, which forces me to focus and use everything at my disposal.

The only enemies currently that I'm really having a big problem with are the enemy wizards. I can't get the timing of their fire attacks down, and they do a ton of damage.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

How do you get into the secret room in the mage tower? Not the one you need the great shield for, but there's one later that says it's via a bookshelf.

I've read the sign that says "no more than 2 books may be taken out" and hit off 2 books, but nothing happened. I've tried hitting off the max I can too (5) and nothing.

edit -

Quixzlizx posted:

I think I'm starting to get the hang of her. I've seen people complain about the Minotaur being the first difficult boss, but I managed to kite him to death after my fighter AI zerged himself to death in 30 seconds. I'm doing the story missions with one AI partner, but doing the quests solo, which forces me to focus and use everything at my disposal.

The only enemies currently that I'm really having a big problem with are the enemy wizards. I can't get the timing of their fire attacks down, and they do a ton of damage.

Enemy wizards are maybe the easiest enemy to kill as the elf. One power shot ought to take them out and if not, one power shot and a tap of Rapid Fire will do it. The best way I found to fight them is to learn the timing on them appearing > casting, then as soon as they're meant to cast just dodge upwards or downwards. They'll vanish but usually appear across from you so they can cast.

Also those wizards became my favorite enemy once I heard one go "uuhhhh....abracadabra"

Thievery fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Aug 8, 2013

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Do not try to boost in peace, because that is impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth, there is no boost.

Comrade Flynn posted:

No, I've done the challenge where you beat the vampires in < 2 minutes and the girls turn to vampires regardless. Protecting them is more like "don't let them die"

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Belldandy posted:

No, I've done the challenge where you beat the vampires in < 2 minutes and the girls turn to vampires regardless. Protecting them is more like "don't let them die"

The vampires you are fighting are some of the girls already turned. You saved the ones you find but you couldn't help the ones you fought.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Thievery posted:

How do you get into the secret room in the mage tower? Not the one you need the great shield for, but there's one later that says it's via a bookshelf.

I've read the sign that says "no more than 2 books may be taken out" and hit off 2 books, but nothing happened. I've tried hitting off the max I can too (5) and nothing.

edit -

Enemy wizards are maybe the easiest enemy to kill as the elf. One power shot ought to take them out and if not, one power shot and a tap of Rapid Fire will do it. The best way I found to fight them is to learn the timing on them appearing > casting, then as soon as they're meant to cast just dodge upwards or downwards. They'll vanish but usually appear across from you so they can cast.

Also those wizards became my favorite enemy once I heard one go "uuhhhh....abracadabra"

The problem is that when there are 4-5 of them on the screen, the ones I'm not targeting are casting that instant firestorm spell while I am charging my power shot. I can easily avoid their projectile attacks, but I don't understand the timing for the fire attacks.

Bro Nerd Alpha
Aug 27, 2012

going on pussy patrol
My Japanese speaking dwarf Yolanda is loving the hell out of this game. I only got to play an hour and a half last night, but god drat this game is pretty. I have nothing to do today except laundry and decide what to get for lunch, time to kill stuff.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

Quixzlizx posted:

The problem is that when there are 4-5 of them on the screen, the ones I'm not targeting are casting that instant firestorm spell while I am charging my power shot. I can easily avoid their projectile attacks, but I don't understand the timing for the fire attacks.

Best advice I can give is just be dodging all the time if you don't know if you're safe or not. Don't go for a shot unless you're sure you can charge it, and if you can't, either rapid fire it or dodge it.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Thievery posted:

I did it by taking out as many books as the sign says, and then swinging my weapon near the wall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Feenix posted:

What do extra bags do? The way Samuel introduced them it made it sound like it was backup gear for dungeons, but I noticed only one can be equipped at a time. Is it just a way of organizing an alternate loadout but only accessible in overworld?

When you start chaining from one dungeon to the next you get the opportunity to change bags mid-stage. This is important because there's no way to repair equipment until you quit the run but you want to keep it going for as long as possible because your loot bonus grows with every consecutive stage that you clear. Also lets magic classes pick weapons which best suit the stage because the last thing you want to do is try and fight the Kraken with only fire magic.

• Locked thread