Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Don Music posted:

So, I'm a Software Engineering student, and for my Agile Software Development unit this semester we have to take an existing project, made in Java with servlets and built by Ant and create an add-on for it.

I'm kind of at a loss as to what to do for version control - I've only ever used GitHub for my own code - never on projects.

The 'easy' solution as far as I could tell would be to create a Git repository on a Ubuntu Server VPS that I have (where I plan on hosting the project itself)..But my project team members want to use Team Foundation Server due to it's built in Agile tools (We get marked on how well we work with the Agile methodology, so it's relatively important). Team Foundation Server is windows only though, so it seems like running TFS separate to the server where we will be hosting the project would be quite hard. I've been doing a bit of reading on a CI tool called 'Jenkins' which I could set up on my server, but in general I'm just pretty in over my head here.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for version control for a project like this?

Your project members are smoking crack if they want to use TFS for a semester project doing java. It's one of the all-time dumbest ideas I've ever heard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Regardless of your current strategy, I'm going to recommend that you use or at least try to use Jenkins. You can use it to a minimal level to ensure that your code always compiles and the tests always pass, but you can do a lot more with it.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
There's so much TFS hate in this thread. Using the cloud-hosted TFS Service with Git is a great idea. TFS has really rich, powerful project management tools.

For the record, I've had clients who use TFS for Java applications before, and they loved it.

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

I admit the modern version is certainly markedly better than what came before and that the current iteration might even be a viable SCM platform, I have still yet to see anyone who isn't:

a) a microsoft employee or
b) a TFS consultant or
c) a non-coding manager / accountant

express any positive sentiment about TFS.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

wwb posted:

I admit the modern version is certainly markedly better than what came before and that the current iteration might even be a viable SCM platform, I have still yet to see anyone who isn't:

b) a TFS consultant or

I liked it before I consulted in it. Developers usually don't have much to say about it because when it's working properly, it's pretty unobtrusive, just like any good source control should be. It has great tools for project management/reporting, which is why group C likes it.

[edit] And it's definitely been a viable source control platform for a long time. I started using TFS2008 in 2009 or so. I can't speak to VSTS2005, that seems like it was a clusterfuck.

New Yorp New Yorp fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jul 26, 2013

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Ithaqua posted:

I liked it before I consulted in it. Developers usually don't have much to say about it because when it's working properly, it's pretty unobtrusive, just like any good source control should be. It has great tools for project management/reporting, which is why group C likes it.

[edit] And it's definitely been a viable source control platform for a long time. I started using TFS2008 in 2009 or so. I can't speak to VSTS2005, that seems like it was a clusterfuck.

TFS is good at some things, but it completely defeats the point if you're working in Java. The cool parts about TFS like the msbuild integration, Visual Studio integration, etc all are not going to work with a Java toolset. If he were doing like a C# app and he was tooled using visual studio, it wouldn't be such a bad idea.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

hieronymus posted:

TFS is good at some things, but it completely defeats the point if you're working in Java. The cool parts about TFS like the msbuild integration, Visual Studio integration, etc all are not going to work with a Java toolset. If he were doing like a C# app and he was tooled using visual studio, it wouldn't be such a bad idea.

There's an Eclipse plugin for TFS that gives similar IDE integration. Build is a bit trickier, there are resources to get it working.

I'm not saying that TFS is the best choice for source control for Java applications, but Microsoft is aggressively pushing it out into the non-Microsoft dev world (see: Git fully integrated in TFS2013). It's a viable choice, especially in this case.

Don Music
Jun 20, 2008

Ithaqua posted:

There's an Eclipse plugin for TFS that gives similar IDE integration. Build is a bit trickier, there are resources to get it working.

I'm not saying that TFS is the best choice for source control for Java applications, but Microsoft is aggressively pushing it out into the non-Microsoft dev world (see: Git fully integrated in TFS2013). It's a viable choice, especially in this case.

This was the plan, to use TFS with Eclipse, especially seeing as it now supports Git etc.

Thanks for the opinions, folks. Still not sure on what I'll do though. Hopefully we can figure out how to use Jenkins, seems like a pretty nifty tool.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
Hello my TFS-hating or TFS-ambivalent friends! Brian Keller at Microsoft just released a VS/TFS2013 ALM VM. I'm playing with the native Git support right now and what I'm seeing is definitely encouraging.

If you're a .NET shop and you've decided not to use TFS because you don't like CVCS, take a look at TFS2013. The Git tools are pretty rad, and it works flawlessly with build and deployment (with InRelease).

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010
git question.

I have a git repo that I push to both github + heroku. However, my app needs a "secret key" that I want to be pushed to heroku, but not github (as the app is open source, but I still need a shared secret between the client and server apps". What is the best way to handle this?

Deus Rex
Mar 5, 2005

mmm11105 posted:

git question.

I have a git repo that I push to both github + heroku. However, my app needs a "secret key" that I want to be pushed to heroku, but not github (as the app is open source, but I still need a shared secret between the client and server apps". What is the best way to handle this?

Use heroku config vars to set environment variables on your Heroku dynos (and then set environment variables the normal way on your machine for development).

https://devcenter.heroku.com/articles/config-vars

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
My company uses phabricator for code reviews and issue tracking, which is currently hated by everyone except the guy who set it up. Is there something better that supports a squash/rebase type of workflow? We use git and we're pretty cool with that.

We have about 10 devs, mostly on linux or osx, and it needs to be self-hosted for legal reasons.

molinari
May 13, 2005

evensevenone posted:

My company uses phabricator for code reviews and issue tracking, which is currently hated by everyone except the guy who set it up. Is there something better that supports a squash/rebase type of workflow? We use git and we're pretty cool with that.

We have about 10 devs, mostly on linux or osx, and it needs to be self-hosted for legal reasons.

For self-hosting Git I would suggest a straight Gitolite or Gitlab installation, or to buy something like Github or Atlassian Stash.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
We use gitolite for the actual hosting and that's not a problem, it's more of a code-review and task/bug tracking system that we're looking for. I wanted github but it seems like its really based around having a single maintainer that merges pull requests. Whereas we like to just individually rebase onto master and push to our origin.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

I use set up an account at https://www.unfuddle.com downloaded TortoiseSVN, VisualSVN (Visual Studio plugin), and had my code online within 10 minutes with no troubles. I don't want to use GitHub because I want to keep this private. Pretty sweet stuff that I can recommend so far.

wwb posted:

b) a TFS consultant or

I'm a developer and I think TFS is fine as source control. It has complete Visual Studio integration, doesn't require command-line fiddling except in extreme situations (administration), and just works as you fire up Visual Studio... not much bad to say about it if you work in a Microsoft business.

That being said, I'd never use it at home, without Visual Studio, or hosted, but it doesn't bother me at work.

I don't really give much for its project management tools. Work items/bugs/tasks are unnecessarily complex, have way too many fields, and the UI doesn't give a very good overview. I don't give a poo poo how our project managers organize stuff in areas, paths, child items, requirements and the like... just gimme the tasks!

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
I've been tasked with giving a presentation on integrating Eclipse with Git + TFS, so I have a few Git questions for people that have a ton more experience actually using Git day-to-day; my experience with Git is limited to Github. The "Eclipse" part is basically irrelevant to my questions; I set up EGit and my demo is basically going to be source controlling "hello world" in Java; the focus isn't on the language, but on Git and the IDE. EGit is pretty straightforward so no worries there.

So, I intend to demo two ways of using Git + TFS:
  • TFS2012, using the Git-TF to pull down TFS source code into a local Git repo
  • TFS2013, using the native Git source control option

Given that with TFS2012, the first step is to "clone" the TFS source tree into a local repo (and then use that local repo to sync back and forth to TFS), what's the best practice regarding that? Should I clone my local repo again and treat the TFS-syncing repo as a "remote" repository, or just develop directly against that repo?

Also, what's the generally accepted practice regarding branching? I know Git is branch-happy because it's cheap, but is it frowned upon to clone a repo and then commit changes directly? When should I merge versus rebase? I'm not super clear on that, although I've admittedly not done a lot of reading on rebasing.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Ithaqua posted:

Also, what's the generally accepted practice regarding branching? I know Git is branch-happy because it's cheap, but is it frowned upon to clone a repo and then commit changes directly? When should I merge versus rebase? I'm not super clear on that, although I've admittedly not done a lot of reading on rebasing.
If you're trying to show them best practices for working on a collaborative project, then yes it is frowned upon to make changes directly into the main branch of the repo (usually master).

"master" is suppose to be the stable version/main branch of whatever project you're working on. Committing directly into the main branch is akin to saying my code is perfect, no one needs to review the code I worked on. You should only be committing directly into the main branch when it is a minor thing that would not affect anyone at all like a typo or a one-liner bugfix (wrong variable name or using && instead of ||), but even then at where I work I have someone come over to take a look.

Obviously this isn't needed if you're working on your own project, but branching is good practice and gives you liberty to really mess things up and be able to revert back to a nice stable version if it doesn't work out. You can revert just as easily on the main branch but then you have to check where the last stable version was and then git reset --hard to it and pray you didn't forget anything (I think a soft reset might work but you may get loose files from the commits you reverted). Branching puts your mind at ease because 1) you can restore the branch in case something cool was left there and 2) you don't have to scan and make sure you're reverting to the correct commit, just git checkout master, git branch -D branch_to_delete and you're back on your stable version.

Think of rebase as being able to modify your current branch's history. If you create a branch A' off of A, as long as A' does not get pushed into a shared location (such as a remote repo or github) you should be using rebase to add new commits from A into A'. This keeps your history clean and your commits from A' at the top of the log. If I do any kind of merge functions locally it is usually because I am merging different commits from branches A' and A" into A to see how well the changes in A' and A" work together.

Generally the practice is to branch off stable, make commits as often as possible to your branch, then when you are cleaning up to merge into your stable you do a git rebase -i <sha1 of stable>^ (there is a carrot at the end). This brings up your editor along with all the commits you've made in the branch. From there you can squash, move commits, edit commit messages, etc. Once I clean everything in my branch, I push the branch to GitHub and make a PR.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Thermopyle posted:

A certain type of person doesn't view coding outside of their job as "work". This type of person comes with a set of attributes that many employers would like.

this is only really a thing for the first 5, 10 years of most engineers careers. after a while, you stop doing the same thing for your hobby as you do for your 9-5.

"show me the code you write for fun" is really not a reasonable question for senior engineers imo

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

rotor posted:

this is only really a thing for the first 5, 10 years of most engineers careers. after a while, you stop doing the same thing for your hobby as you do for your 9-5.

"show me the code you write for fun" is really not a reasonable question for senior engineers imo

Yep, I wouldn't disagree, and I would note that this is complementary to my point.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

on topic: git still sucks, svn still rules, suck it linus

Rottbott
Jul 27, 2006
DMC
TortoiseSVN finally lets me separately commit individual changes within a file, hooray.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

rotor posted:

on topic: git still sucks, svn still rules, suck it linus

I have come around to agree with the third clause of this, he's become a megaprick on mailing lists

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe
lol if you think that's recent, it's always been that way but now you have more vocal crybabies posting on their tumblers and what have you. drat kids :argh:

Also SVN sucks compared to HG.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
By recently I mean the last five years or so. He wasn't nearly as bile-filled when he was arguing with Tannenbaum in Ye Olden Dayes as he was when he got into the argument that led to Alan Cox quitting the first time and that was what, four years ago?

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Is there a good SVN client for mac?

Newf
Feb 14, 2006
I appreciate hacky sack on a much deeper level than you.
I've been using TortoiseSVN on Windows to manage some small personal projects. I'm a baby-level user, but it's working well enough.

I want to get better acquainted with the command-line blood and guts of SVN, so I started reading http://svnbook.red-bean.com/. This book seems good and comprehensive and all, and it's improved my operation of TortoiseSVN, but I still haven't gotten to 'the point' - svn isn't in my windows path, so the command line perspective I'm looking to learn isn't available to me.

Can I go ahead and install the windows subversion client from http://sourceforge.net/projects/win32svn/ , or will that conflict with Tortoise's install somehow? Does Tortoise already have the command line stuff somewhere 'underneath', and can I just add the svn command to my path and go along my merry way?

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
You should be able to just add the TortoiseSVN\bin directory to your PATH.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

HappyHippo posted:

Is there a good SVN client for mac?

the one on the command line works fine :colbert:

there's a program called Versions which I hear is good but it costs money

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Newf posted:

I've been using TortoiseSVN on Windows to manage some small personal projects. I'm a baby-level user, but it's working well enough.

I want to get better acquainted with the command-line blood and guts of SVN, so I started reading http://svnbook.red-bean.com/. This book seems good and comprehensive and all, and it's improved my operation of TortoiseSVN, but I still haven't gotten to 'the point' - svn isn't in my windows path, so the command line perspective I'm looking to learn isn't available to me.

install cygwin

College Ruled
Apr 25, 2012

"It seems another associate has taken my friendly attitude as to insinuate desires that would exist outside the bounds of professional courtesy."

Courtesy of: 01001100 01001100 01001010 01001011 01010011 01101001 01001100 01101011

rotor posted:

install cygwin

Unless there is some missing functionality that I am unaware of, Win32SVN is a more lightweight option for a Windows command line SVN.

College Ruled fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Aug 9, 2013

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Word, so I have a dev VM, staging server and live server with a git repo on all, synced by an origin repo.

On the dev VM, is just whatever I happen to be working on, usually a branch. I create new branches from master, do the work, then check out that branch on the staging server for clients to approve.

Once approved, I merge the branch into master and create a tag from master.

On the live server, I am always pointing to a tag. But what confuses me is, when I have a new tag to deploy on the live server, I have to checkout master, pull the new commits, pull the new tag, then check out the tag.

Ideally, I don't want to have to checkout master, pull, *then* check out the tag. I just want to hop from one tag to the next. Is this possible? I imagine I need to pull all the new commits before I can check out a tag that points to these new commits. Hope this makes sense.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
Why would you need to checkout master before fetching?

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Right, so if I fetched the commits and fetched the tags, I could then just safely switch to the new tag? But the commits won't be merged into master like a pull would do... that's OK?

Bognar
Aug 4, 2011

I am the queen of France
Hot Rope Guy
If your live server isn't going to be pushing changes back up to a repository (it shouldn't) then it doesn't matter what your local branching looks like. Just use 'git fetch --all', 'git fetch --tags', then 'git checkout [tag]'. When running that last command, your HEAD won't point to a branch - but that shouldn't really matter if you're not making local modifications.

EDIT: I should note that I much prefer to have a branch per stable deployment and have those branches updated when a new deployment goes out. My 'master' branch is equivalent to what is on production, my 'staging' branch is equivalent to what is on staging, the 'dev' branch is what our changes are committed to in the interim, and feature branches get merged into dev. We just use tags for historical versioning. This setup makes it very easy to reason about what code is where.

Bognar fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Aug 9, 2013

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Yep, the staging and live servers have SSH key auth so they can't push anything. So as long as it has the commits, the head can just be detached to whatever commit I set my tag to, regardless of merging, OK, makes sense.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

College Ruled posted:

Unless there is some missing functionality that I am unaware of, Win32SVN is a more lightweight option for a Windows command line SVN.

neat!

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Question on git.

I have a Repository A, lets call it SharedLibrary and another Repository B, lets call it Project.

I'm in a confusing situation where I would like Project to use some of the libraries from SharedLibrary, but I want to keep SharedLibrary seperate from Project. I was looking into submodules and it initially seemed like the way to go, but then I've read on how the submodule feature is not-so-great after all? Is there a better way to approach this? Currently I'm running into the problem of NuGet not playing nice where the SharedLibrary projects in my Project solution are missing references to NuGet libraries. Any ideas on how to get around this (both the Project solution and SharedLibrary solution are using NuGet)?

And as a side question which is tangentially related, with submodules if I want to make changes to SharedLibrary from the Project solution, do I just (in git) cd into the SharedLibrary submodule folder and commit / push / pull as if it was my actual SharedLibrary working directory (which would be a couple levels up and side-by-side the Project working directory)? Then the next time I load up the SharedLibrary solution I just need to pull the latest to get the changes I've made in Project?

Bognar
Aug 4, 2011

I am the queen of France
Hot Rope Guy

Mr. Crow posted:

Question on git.

I have a Repository A, lets call it SharedLibrary and another Repository B, lets call it Project.

I would avoid that kind of setup entirely, keep my projects in separate repositories and just reference the needed assemblies manually. Since you mentioned NuGet, I'm assuming you're in .NET so this isn't really hard.

The problem I have with your setup is that changes in one solution might cause breaking changes in another solution which can be extremely confusing if you're not expecting it. It's much better to rely on a stable, built assembly for each project so you can be sure of when to expect potential breaking changes. Sure, it means an extra copy step when you update the shared modules, but I think that's a small price to pay for knowing that your changes won't break code in entirely different project.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Bognar posted:

The problem I have with your setup is that changes in one solution might cause breaking changes in another solution which can be extremely confusing if you're not expecting it. It's much better to rely on a stable, built assembly for each project so you can be sure of when to expect potential breaking changes. Sure, it means an extra copy step when you update the shared modules, but I think that's a small price to pay for knowing that your changes won't break code in entirely different project.

submodules (and subtrees) don't magically change when the upstream project changes, so that's not an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
To partially answer one of my questions, though perhaps a better approach is needed (I'll deal with it for now since it's just a personal project); you can open the submodule solution which will cause nuget to pull the packages into the correct directory (the submodules) so the submodule projects can find the references they need. And with .gitignore ignoring the packages directory, git doesn't complain about the submodule being dirty.