Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I'm trying to go through Muv Luv Altered Fable using Translation Aggregator, and some characters are easy to understand. But [spoiler]Meiya's sister Yuuhi[spoiler] speaks in such a way that the translations go crazy. I wish there was a translation patch for AF, it really is quite... strange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I'm trying to go through Muv Luv Altered Fable using Translation Aggregator, and some characters are easy to understand. But Meiya's sister Yuuhi speaks in such a way that the translations go crazy. I wish there was a translation patch for AF, it really is quite... strange.

I thought I'd heard that there was a partial patch for at least the first very little bit, but yeah, she uses even more weird formal Japanese than Meiya does.

While I know there's an effort on the Altered Fable front, how about The Day After, does anybody know if there's a translation effort for that?

It's got a different cast of characters for the most part, but they're some of the more interesting ones in the MLA side stories and it easily has the best action. It's really the only side story that captures the same sense of absolute doom that MLA managed, and it's still ongoing, to boot. It's a shame only the Japanese-reading fans get to see it.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
There's a 65% partial patch out for Altered Fable as of May of this year, apparently. I have no idea what the quality is or whether it's even gone through editing, and the translator group doesn't seem to have a website. The mediafire link in the comments here may be it? The filename looks right, at least.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
So after first finishing the Amane, Sachi and Makina routes, I just did the Michiru route. If I'd done it earlier I'd probably be frustrated with the lack of backstory for the protagonist, but the other routes had that in spades. It's probably the route I've enjoyed the most so far. Reminded me more of the common route than the others and also didn't have a complete tonal shift near the end.

This game is awesome. At the very least top 5 for me, maybe even top 3.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

I kindly wish Front Wing didn't add in Amane doing the typical Sumika "AITAAA!" response from getting karate chopped on the forehead to Grisaia. Now I'm just feeling bad.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

(Grisia) Man this common route really is super long, and there hasn't even been a single choice yet! Although it's also really funny so that helps but I almost want to just get to the actual routes at this point.

Also Makina continues to completely wear thin on me, people gave Komari from Little Busters! poo poo for having an annoying voice but I think Makina's is worse.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ibram Gaunt posted:

(Grisia) Man this common route really is super long, and there hasn't even been a single choice yet! Although it's also really funny so that helps but I almost want to just get to the actual routes at this point.

Also Makina continues to completely wear thin on me, people gave Komari from Little Busters! poo poo for having an annoying voice but I think Makina's is worse.

Coincidentally, Makina's VA did the voice for Rin in Little Busters. (As well as Riki and Sasasasasasasasasami in the game) Once I realized this honestly I couldn't hear Makina as anything other than a foulmouthed Rin and she became somewhat more bearable. That being said, I'm glad that supposedly her route is pretty good because so far with only Sakaki's route down she's still my least favorite of the bunch.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
I haven't minded Makina once we got to know her personality. She generally cracks me up. Translator did a very good job with her dialogue which could not have been easy.

I pretty much like all the girls. It's hard to pick a favorite. I'll probably pick one once I'm done with all the routes. I'm currently on my first which is Yumiko's

Edit: Forget reimbursing Sachi, what about that dude's turkey? This better be addressed in the sequel! :colbert:

Edit:2 I'm getting a lot of Tomoyo After flashbacks here.

Stall_19 fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Aug 6, 2013

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011
Jumping on the Grisaia bandwagon, here. I've got lots of things to say, but those can wait for a bit.

I started out with Michiru's route. drat. Meowmel. What a loving low blow, man. Not crying here. Not me. Nope!

EDIT:
Finished the route. Christ, Yuuji is an rear end in a top hat. An rear end in a top hat who gets things done, but still.

Suleman fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Aug 6, 2013

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Amane's route down. :blush: :stare: :cry:, in that order.

Impressions:

I'm a bit surprised that I gather there's no "true" route or something that unlocks after you finish the heroine routes. Both little bits at the end of Sakaki's route and the latter bits of Amane's (especially the bad end) seem to be hinting to a greater mystery that it seems like they would wrap up separately. I hear Makina's route has a fair bit of Yuuji's back-story, so I'm currently operating under the revelation will be tucked in there.

So far really enjoying the game. Both routes I've tried so far have managed to get under the skin in just the right way that VNs are good at. It's not exactly Muv Luv, sure, but it'll probably slide into my Top 10 easy, and it's nice that there are a couple of sequels for those of us that can manage some Japanese.

It's also a point in its favor that instead of going back to the choices to turn off onto other routes, I'm finding myself restarting from the beginning and fast forwarding back through the whole thing after every route, stopping here and there. There's turning out to be quite a lot of little bits of foreshadowing when you know what to look for.

If I had to pick a negative point, I guess I'm a little iffy on the translation. They're playing it quite loose, which works pretty well in some areas, but I can't shake the feeling that they're overdoing it to an extent and writing a bit too much of the dialogue themselves. I've seen much, much worse though, so it's not really a complaint.

Revised predictions for the remaining characters with the common route, Sakaki, and Amane down. Some spoilers for those routes probably contained within:

I'd pegged Michiru for simply having extreme social anxiety, but the turn off for her route pretty strongly seemed to imply MPD. I'm reserving the possibility that she was simply medicated up on her "special ramune" at the time, but between that scene and how she latched onto having friends in your head in a conversation earlier, I'm guessing they're going for MPD. I'm probably just overthinking things though. My previous guesses for Makine and Sachi mostly stand.

Foreshadowing-wise, at the end of Sakaki's route we got a note that someone in the "Company's" upper echelon covered for Yuuji, and in Amane's bad end we got an ultimately ambiguous sign that Yuuji's sister might be alive. Timeline wise, if she lived, Kazuki would be about 18 at the time of the main plot, which is a little on the young side to place her as Yuuji's benefactor in the "Company", but I suppose it's not an impossible connection. Alternate theory is that the benefactor is Makina's mother, maybe? All I know where I am is that she's fairly rich, supposedly hates Makina, and presumably traveled the world a lot with Makina when she was young.

Anyway, following Einander's advice, I'm planning to make my remaining play order Michiru, Makina, Sachi. Then probably move straight on to the other games.

EDIT: More mysteries I forgot, from the common route this time; still no explanation as to who hired the three thugs to attack Yuuji, and they pretty conspicuously have Michiru request a bat from Sachi and then I don't think they ever make anything of it.

Bakanogami fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Aug 6, 2013

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
PaulC stated earlier that the sequels assume a timeline that incorporates bits of all the routes so yeah. There's not really any overarching story within this one game at least though. There's definitely some foreshadowing of things that I assume will come later. I have pretty strong suspicions as to how Kazuki is involved in the plot outside of Amane's route, for example.

Edit: I don't think those things from your edit ever come up again in any route.

Blhue fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Aug 6, 2013

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Goddamit. I still haven't finished MLA and now the bandwagon's flown off to another game entirely. Why is ML so long... :cripes:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
This is like the first big release in a year, it'll probably disappear into the ether just like everything else and we'll be right back to MLA and FSN again.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

How far into the common route of Grisaia am I? They just got done playing Softball. Like I said in my last post I'm enjoying how well done it is but I really just want to get to the routes already. :(

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

Ibram Gaunt posted:

How far into the common route of Grisaia am I? They just got done playing Softball. Like I said in my last post I'm enjoying how well done it is but I really just want to get to the routes already. :(

If the scene in question is Thrilling Extreme Sports (I think you have the Scene Viewer available at this point? If not, scene names are shown when you save), then that's scene 22 of 54 in the Common Route. The earliest route branch is Makina's off of scene 51, with all of the other branches happening relatively shortly after that.

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Did we mention that this game is really loving long?

No need to rush through the common route, it's nice and episodic

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Every Grisaia route having a giant flashback got really, really annoying. In fact, there's a pretty big feeling of sameness among the routes.

I kind of wish they didn't bother with routes at all or copied Sharin's structure. Grisaia is at its best when you have many characters together. Jumping to a route and focusing on just one character kind of dragged things down.

I guess the one exception to this, somewhat, was Michiru's route which was my favorite by a good margin.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

ViggyNash posted:

Goddamit. I still haven't finished MLA and now the bandwagon's flown off to another game entirely. Why is ML so long... :cripes:
Because it slowly tortures you and then begins to insert a knife that it slowly twists until you break

and then you go play Grisaia and the voices and hijinx from MLA suddenly show up in that game and you've got to stop playing Grisaia for a while... :(

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

I would have never known that Sumika's VA was voicing Amane if it wasn't brought up in this thread. Doesn't really affect me either way. Though Yumiko's VA been the same as Tomoyo's from Tomoyo After is another story. The last 2/3's of that route brought back some Tomoyo After flashbacks.

Now that I finished a route I have to say this VN may have the most abundant special features I've seen in a VM. Full scene replay, ending movies, promotional videos, music galleries, unlockable icons & wallpapers. Very impressive.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Stall_19 posted:

I would have never known that Sumika's VA was voicing Amane if it wasn't brought up in this thread. Doesn't really affect me either way. Though Yumiko's VA been the same as Tomoyo's from Tomoyo After is another story. The last 2/3's of that route brought back some Tomoyo After flashbacks.

Now that I finished a route I have to say this VN may have the most abundant special features I've seen in a VM. Full scene replay, ending movies, promotional videos, music galleries, unlockable icons & wallpapers. Very impressive.
You can't seriously not have reacted to Yuuji chopping her forehead and her exclaiming the very Sumika-esque OWWIEEE!!

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Grisaia Michiru route:

Oh god dammit, that's just downright foul play. Having lost cats before, every VN I read that kills off a cat instantly milks hours of tears out of me.:cry: Instantly goes from being kind of silly and mysterious to sadder than all of Amane's route was.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
Quick question: did the person who wrote YU-NO suffer a stroke halfway through.

edit:

Nihnoz fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Aug 8, 2013

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Good freaking lord Yuuji is a gigantic dick at the beginning of Michiru's route. :lol:

Edit: Is Yuuji going to be brutally honest in every route?

Stall_19 fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Aug 8, 2013

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Nihnoz posted:

Quick question: did the person who wrote YU-NO suffer a stroke halfway through.

I think he's pretty dead right now.

Part 2 of Yu-No was supposed to be structurally similar to Part 1 (non-linearity and all that), but they were already running into budget issues and the result is... well, what it is right now.

Anyway, I expect some angry words by the time you're done.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Davzz posted:

Both the designer and the composer died in 2011, yes.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

Davzz posted:

Part 2 of Yu-No was supposed to be structurally similar to Part 1 (non-linearity and all that), but they were already running into budget issues and the result is... well, what it is right now.

Anyway, I expect some angry words by the time you're done.

Oh, that's unfortunate.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Stall_19 posted:

Good freaking lord Yuuji is a gigantic dick at the beginning of Michiru's route. :lol:

Edit: Is Yuuji going to be brutally honest in every route?

That's pretty much his thing!

This post will have HUGE spoilers regarding Muv-Luv Alternative and Pacific Rim of all things. If you're okay with both, read on.

The heroes descend into the heart of the alien base in giant robots, as humanity's last hope, preparing to do everything they can to destroy the aliens and stop their attacks. using information they got from studying the aliens and their biology and by tapping into the alien hivemind (which also led to problems due to it being a two-way link). On the way there, they encounter an entirely new class of alien and part of the team needs to perform the ultimate sacrifice by blowing themselves up. After getting past the alien sphincter-door by fooling it, the heroes fire their ultimate weapon at the master alien and leave in an escape pod.

I know Guillermo hasn't read MLA, but it's just an interesting little coincidence.

Suleman fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Aug 8, 2013

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
I already beat it though. The best part was time cop, the ending was absurd, completely absurd, and it made me feel bad for being excited during the first half. I still liked it though, somehow. I think it's because even if the story fell apart the music and graphics are still completely superb, I haven't seen a VN with that kind of quality ever.

planetarial
Oct 19, 2012

Nihnoz posted:

I already beat it though. The best part was time cop, the ending was absurd, completely absurd, and it made me feel bad for being excited during the first half. I still liked it though, somehow. I think it's because even if the story fell apart the music and graphics are still completely superb, I haven't seen a VN with that kind of quality ever.

I have very mixed feelings on YU-NO myself. I could barely stomach all the fanservice, all the incest can gently caress off too (though technically one is pseudo incest since she's just a stepmom, still kind of gross), the second half is pretty bad until the old characters start showing up for me and the ending left me stunned in not a good way. But the first half has a good mystery to it, the map movement and jewel saves is kinda neat though you will need a walkthrough to finish, and while dated, the graphics are really good for its time and it has some of the best old school synthesized music I've heard.

On a different note I've been reading Higurashi Matsuribayashi-hen and I can say it blows the rest of the arcs out of the water for me (minus a few scenes from Kai). I'm currently at Akasaka rescuing Rika from the Mountain Hounds. How much more do I have to go?

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
I don't think the graphics are dated at all honestly, they've aged a lot better then most of the recent VNs I've seen.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Ugh, all this talk about a new translation that seems interesting is a bit of a downer since I can't find the heart to finish Higurashi. I.. just can't take the school portions anymore. I'm at the "first game's" third part now where Keeichi is talking about how institutions won't be able to help Satoko Now that I think of it, that part has been going forever. Really starting to lose my patience. And I finished Fate and Muv-Luv. But this... ughhh :negative:

Thinking about it, am I the only person who's thought of getting a mechanical keyboard to press enter with less effort just because of VNs? Hovering the key just about at its activation point... Would that even work?

v I've put it down for months several times and attempting to get through some more right now. That being said, Higurashi is kinda great to play late in the night. Either it'll get you anxious as hell or tire you to sleep.

edit: Well, it appears Keeichi had his first "scary eyes episode" as he was planning to murder the uncle. I wondered how long that would take. I kept wondering if it was some shounen bullshit with the music but according to reaction of the girls, apparently not. Kind of took me back to Shirou's moments with "Emiya" playing on the background. ...the comparison is kinda creepy for some reason.

Dessel fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Aug 9, 2013

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It's easy to get burned out on Higurashi in my opinion. If you find yourself just really fatigued with it, I'd recommend putting it down for a few weeks or so and then coming back. Worked wonders for me.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011
Continuing with Grisaia. I finished Yumiko's route, I'm now on Sachi's.

For once, a porn scene sorta worth reading. The bit at the baths is actually pretty funny.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
As for me, I have now finished Grisaia!

It was quite good, really. I liked Yuuji a lot and am looking forward to the sequels. I won't call it spectacular, but it's an easy 8 or 8.5, I'd say.

In terms of the routes, Michiru >>> Amane > Makina > Sachi > Yumiko. Michiru's route was really good and improved my feelings on the VN a lot. Though admittedly the premise is complete nonsense, it was still done really well. Best comic relief.

Amane's route barely qualifies, it mostly gets the ranking because I thought Angelic Howl was creepy and well-executed. I also liked Kazuki a lot. Unfortunately the rest of the route was pretty bad.

Makina's route had the best action scenes and did develop Yuuji a lot as a character, which is good. I kind of wish it wasn't the first route to enter, since it works better as a final route. The bad end was also... creative. I found the resolution pretty hard to swallow, though. I'm not sure I get why any of this happened if 'Makina gives Yuuji's organization a bunch of blackmail material against her mom's company, in exchange for them leaving her and Yuuji alone' was an acceptable outcome for them. There was an easy way out that benefited the organization all along, and they knew very well that Makina claimed to have memorized a lot of incriminating evidence, but apparently it didn't occur to them that it was valuable until they'd already spent ages trying to ship her off to be killed.

Sachi's route was very predictable, but Sachi herself was a funny and likable character, which helped a lot. The second half of the route was just really weak compared to the first half, though.

Yumiko's route was pretty bad the whole way through. There was little real tension, the plot was all quite predictable, and there was way too much time spent on Yumiko's feeling like she wasn't worth protecting. It took an excessively long time to really resolve, and I wasn't super sympathetic in the first place.

In general, would recommend. But definitely don't do the routes in chronological order (Makina->Amane->Sachi->Michiru->Yumiko). Actually, doing them in the exact opposite order from me is probably the best.

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

Myriad Truths posted:

I found the resolution pretty hard to swallow, though. I'm not sure I get why any of this happened if 'Makina gives Yuuji's organization a bunch of blackmail material against her mom's company, in exchange for them leaving her and Yuuji alone' was an acceptable outcome for them. There was an easy way out that benefited the organization all along, and they knew very well that Makina claimed to have memorized a lot of incriminating evidence, but apparently it didn't occur to them that it was valuable until they'd already spent ages trying to ship her off to be killed.

Okay, so the politics in this route are a little vague, but here's how I saw this working...

Early on, the Irisu are successfully able to lean on multiple agencies to go after Makina. Most of Ichigaya seriously hates getting leaned on (this also comes up in Yumiko's route). Still, they can't directly act to grab Makina for themselves, since other agencies and the company's own people are involved/watching.

JB gives Yuuji the job knowing he isn't going to carry it out and feeds him a ton of information. I think she's hoping from the start that he will catch on to the possibility of secretly getting Makina into Ichigaya custody. Instead he tries to run away because he's stubborn and dumb. Just before they go on the run, you can JB hinting vaguely at the station with stuff like "think carefully" and mentioning that he can't bring down the Irisu "alone."

Once they run away, you'll notice Otsuka orders his agents to take Makina alive as a bargaining chip. In other words, they're already looking to use her against Kiyoka by this point.

At the end of the route, the Irisu are distracted by the assassination attempt, so when Makina wakes up JB is able to swoop in and finally fulfill the goal they've been working toward from the start.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Yeah, well I finished VLR :colbert: I mean I'm sure everyone else probably did that months ago, but it just hadn't come up in my queue just yet.

I was actually quite surprised how much I enjoyed it. I liked 999 a lot (way more than any of the Infinity games), but despite VLR ending on a blatant sequel hook I found myself thoroughly satisfied and thought it was way better.

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It's easy to get burned out on Higurashi in my opinion. If you find yourself just really fatigued with it, I'd recommend putting it down for a few weeks or so and then coming back. Worked wonders for me.

I agree, I was reading it a few hours only on weekends months back and it started to flow well for me. Been on a summer break from it (laptop broke as well) but I'm still looking forward to jumping back into it sometime soon.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I got burned out on Higurashi too. I'll probably pick it up again soon.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

Myriad Truths posted:

Makina's route had the best action scenes and did develop Yuuji a lot as a character, which is good. I kind of wish it wasn't the first route to enter, since it works better as a final route. The bad end was also... creative. I found the resolution pretty hard to swallow, though. I'm not sure I get why any of this happened if 'Makina gives Yuuji's organization a bunch of blackmail material against her mom's company, in exchange for them leaving her and Yuuji alone' was an acceptable outcome for them. There was an easy way out that benefited the organization all along, and they knew very well that Makina claimed to have memorized a lot of incriminating evidence, but apparently it didn't occur to them that it was valuable until they'd already spent ages trying to ship her off to be killed.

In addition to what PaulC said, it's likely that Yuuji really, really wanted to avoid that outcome. If he wanted Makina to be safe even if it meant she'd be someone else's tool, he would have sent her to the Irisu instead. All Ichigaya can do is swap one collar for another... And considering that Makina ends up as 9029 at the end of the route, it's arguable that Ichigaya "saving" them is the worse of the two outcomes.

I really don't think the Makina route has a good ending. Maybe if there was a third option earlier in the route where you chose not to run away, but.. The more I think about it, the more it feels like that choice between "Bad/Really Bad" endings was deliberate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

Yeah, well I finished VLR :colbert: I mean I'm sure everyone else probably did that months ago, but it just hadn't come up in my queue just yet.

I was actually quite surprised how much I enjoyed it. I liked 999 a lot (way more than any of the Infinity games), but despite VLR ending on a blatant sequel hook I found myself thoroughly satisfied and thought it was way better.

Yea, that sequel hook could have been handled far better than it was, but I'm glad that there will be one.

• Locked thread