Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shoelace
Jul 25, 2013

Gosh, this umbrella is the poo poo! I absolutely love that you put Bad Wolf in the Wonderland mural.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer

LeviathanGunship posted:

That looks great! Is it an original design or from another series?

It's an Insignia Protector from EverQuest. Yeah, I'm probably the only EQ cosplayer left on Earth aside from the hired booth babes at Sony events, and whatever few people who turn up to those conventions in full closet-cosplay mode looking like they fell out of a Renaissance Faire. I wish SOE's following had the same skill that Blizzcon attracts...

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.
I can't finish my costume or even verify that it fits until I sew on the zipper that was supposed to be here two days ago. Amazon can't tell me where the gently caress it went and the convention is in less than a week :tizzy:

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..
This is a thing that lives in my house now

EDIT: The worst part of posting this up everyday is how boring my costume will be compared to her. I got a top hat and a long long scarf. But I think together we will look better.

Throb Robinson fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Aug 3, 2013

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Their flashing tongues, spitting out blood and poison.
Fun Shoe
I'm not sure if this goes here or the Warhammer thread, so I'll cross-post.

Have some WIP pictures of my Ork Warbike.

For riding to tournaments and pick-up games, I have hard-bag ammo cans to carry my army.

for showing off, Gamesday, and conventions they are removable and will be replaced with Dakka Kannons.

Exhaust

Gas tank parts.

Front fender

Many, Many more hours to go.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
That's so loving orky! :rock:

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Do you know anyone who owns some big rear end guns? Those armor plates really need some bullet holes.

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*
So the visor I got with my helmet has a really patchy dye job on it. It wasn't a big deal when I wasn't planning to light it, but now that I'm doing stuff with it (going for EL tape, since it looks really cool!), I'm going to need to change it. Will the Nightshades spray fix that?

Edit for pic:

See how cloudy that is? it really detracts from the look.

TwystNeko fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Aug 4, 2013

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Their flashing tongues, spitting out blood and poison.
Fun Shoe

Tres Burritos posted:

Do you know anyone who owns some big rear end guns? Those armor plates really need some bullet holes.

Yes I do, in fact. The plates are just templates made from foam core, I'll be making the real ones out of .250 sheet styrene. (and they will have bullet holes and claw marks.)

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Ork bike kicks rear end, hell yes! Also I've been loving TARDIS umbrella, it looks so gorgeous! Especially the Enterprise painting.

So we had a few setbacks with our mold integrity but after a day of triage, check it out:

The back plate mold that we pulled this on has since been fixed up so the head dome is higher and the degrading parts are filled but it gets the idea across. :woop:

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I'm trying to convince my husband that we need to build our own one of these:

The real one is $4500 from Propstore.

I found an office chair at Costco for $99 that looks almost identical to the seat part. It wouldn't take much to build that base, just some plywood and a few little futuristic embellishments, and some metallic spray paint. I'd be willing to bet the set builders did the exact same thing, took an existing chair cushion and built the case around it.

We couldn't take it to conventions or anything, but a lot of our friends do Trek costumes and I bet they'd get a kick out of being able to use it for photo shoots.

My husband isn't buying into the idea, probably because he knows he would end up doing most of the wood work. :rolleyes:

LeviathanGunship
Dec 6, 2004

I'll be honest, I don't entirely understand where this leaves us.

TwystNeko posted:

So the visor I got with my helmet has a really patchy dye job on it. It wasn't a big deal when I wasn't planning to light it, but now that I'm doing stuff with it (going for EL tape, since it looks really cool!), I'm going to need to change it. Will the Nightshades spray fix that?

Edit for pic:

See how cloudy that is? it really detracts from the look.

I'm uncertain about night-shades (as I only had access to a Rustoleum tinting spray), but for my visor it covered very evenly. The only issue I've run into is viability. After experimenting I managed to do a light coat that hid my face well enough without obscuring my vision too much.

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*
The thing is - the guy I bought it from had done the dye job already. So now it's kind of a problem.

Without the EL tape, it looks even from the outside, which is why I didn't see it until now.

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

~A Purely Preposterous Pussy~
I know this may not be the place to ask but does anybody know when the annual Halloween thread will be going up or if it is up? I actually found this thread through that one a year or two ago, wasn't sure if it's up yet or not.

I love watching your guys costumes coming together and learning tips and stuff along the way, by the way. I feel I need more costume and prop making in my life. :3:

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..
The Umbrella is almost done. Adding the last minute touches. Yes You can see the Interior of the Tardis from inside the Umbrella.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

RazorBunny posted:

I'm trying to convince my husband that we need to build our own one of these:

The real one is $4500 from Propstore.

I found an office chair at Costco for $99 that looks almost identical to the seat part. It wouldn't take much to build that base, just some plywood and a few little futuristic embellishments, and some metallic spray paint. I'd be willing to bet the set builders did the exact same thing, took an existing chair cushion and built the case around it.

We couldn't take it to conventions or anything, but a lot of our friends do Trek costumes and I bet they'd get a kick out of being able to use it for photo shoots.

My husband isn't buying into the idea, probably because he knows he would end up doing most of the wood work. :rolleyes:

The seat itself appears to be a Mk1 or Mk2 Jetta/Golf seat. You can get those from a junkyard. You'd really just need to build a box/frame base for a car seat and then just bolt the seat on top.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!
Need some advice! Still pretty new to cosplay making, wondering on some ways of making this costume:

The whole jumpsuit/scaley armorthing I figure I can sew but I dont know how to go about the daggers and arm/leg guards. I want to stay with cheap, dont want to involve myself with that thermaplastic type stuff but still not have it look like rear end.
Looked up the tutorials of craft foam armor which sounds easy enough but there won't be any depth to it. Layered cardboard and line it with something?

That back piece...foamcore? Cardboard again???
I dont need it to last forever, since Ill probably only wear it once but I do need it to hold up for a day against crowds which I am uncertain about.

edit:
vvvvvvvvvvvvvv oh shoot that looks perfect, how do you get it to maintain its shape/stick to other pieces without bending back?

Malalol fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Aug 4, 2013

Turdo
Jun 15, 2012

I've been commissioned to make the shoulder armor that Roland wears in Borderlands, and Lilith's shin guards as well. This was my first time working with eva foam and so far I've really liked it. In the past I've always done cardstock builds reinforced with fiberglass, but this foam was so much less work. I'll definitely be using it as an alternative wherever I can.

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

I hit my nephew yet I don't hesitate to judge other people's parenting skills.
PS MY BABY CAROLINE CAN NEVER SHARE A LAP WITH BALLS. Lol

Throb Robinson posted:

The Umbrella is almost done. Adding the last minute touches. Yes You can see the Interior of the Tardis from inside the Umbrella.

This is seriously loving amazing and so much more creative and original than some of the dresses I've seen over and over again. (Nothing against those people who have or want to make one, I just think something new and different is really cool.)

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

unabaumer posted:

I've been commissioned to make the shoulder armor that Roland wears in Borderlands, and Lilith's shin guards as well. This was my first time working with eva foam and so far I've really liked it. In the past I've always done cardstock builds reinforced with fiberglass, but this foam was so much less work. I'll definitely be using it as an alternative wherever I can.

Looks good - what are you coating the foam with pre-painting?

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
So for Halloween this year I was hoping to make a Black Suit Spider-Man costume. I figured it'd be pretty simple, just get a morph suit (get in shape) and do the design on it myself. Problem is I can't find any sort of guide online on how to go about adding designs to a morph suit. So is there are there any good resources someone knows of that walks through the process, or is this one of those things I'd have to special order?

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

TheHan posted:

So for Halloween this year I was hoping to make a Black Suit Spider-Man costume. I figured it'd be pretty simple, just get a morph suit (get in shape) and do the design on it myself. Problem is I can't find any sort of guide online on how to go about adding designs to a morph suit. So is there are there any good resources someone knows of that walks through the process, or is this one of those things I'd have to special order?

While it would be cool to make your own I think you can get things printed on morph suits which would probably most likely look a lot better!

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

TheHan posted:

I'm making a symbiote Spider-Man now actually for Chicago, and it's the first time I've ever done any sort of cosplay or fabric work. Dye sub printing would probably be easiest yeah, but not time-friendly, so I'm attaching things to it. For the symbiote emblem and backs of the hands I've got a fairly heavy bridal material, affixed to fusible pellon, then satin stitched to the suit. For the eyes I cut eye-shape frames out of thin black craft foam, stretched a mosquito net mesh over and tacked with fabric glue, to be stitched through the foam to the mask. I cut small oval holes for my eyes in the black suit and finished the edges. The idea behind doing the eyes that way being that a large portion of my cheek/eye isn't revealed under the mesh.

After typing that up I now realize you said black Spider-Man, which is entirely different because it has the web pattern all over it. You're on your own there.

I will point out one thing though, if you buy a Morphsuit-branded zentai suit, it says Morphsuit across the rear end in big white heat transfer rubber letters and they don't loving come off. There's no way to know that unless you buy one, because none of their marketing shows the back of the suit. I bought a cheap knock-off from China and a branded one, and while the Morphsuit™ fits a LOT better, I wish I'd have known about the stupid logo. Three coats of black fabric paint marker though and you can barely tell it's there now.

Mobius 1
Aug 29, 2004
Sierra Hotel!

TheHan posted:

Which black suit version are you trying to do? About 2 years ago I made a friend of mine the Miles Morales version of the suit and what I ended up using was a paint specifically used for stretch fabrics called Jones Tones. It turned out like this:

Note that the paint still retains a bit of tackiness to it even after I had it dry for 24 hours. The only other issue is finding the designs and then later either free-handing them or creating a stencil to paint them on.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Yeah I meant symbiote Spider-Man when I said black suit, couldn't think of its official name for the life of me when I typed that up. I'm thinking it'd look really cool user Jones Tones like you did Mobius and stitching fabric to it for the eyes in the way Killington described. And thanks for the heads up about Zentai Suits, I was considering just buying one in the end if it turned out to be too big a job for me and it would've sucked having MORPHSUIT plastered on my rear end.

Reo
Apr 11, 2003

That'll do, Carlos.
That'll do.

I didn't realize we actually had a cosplay DIY thread, this is great. So I have a couple of questions maybe someone could help me out with!

1) I have a cheap plastic LED sword with a blade that is translucent blue. I would prefer the blade plastic to be purple. Is there any sort of dye or spray that will work on translucent plastic? I tried RIT dye to no avail; tried Sharpies and it looks far too streaky with the LEDs lit.

Edit: I bought some pink film for tinting fog lights on cars; hopefully that will work out!

Pic:

2) Anyone have a recommendation of a place (either online or chain store) to buy LEDs?

Reo fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Aug 6, 2013

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
MY HUSBAND is making one of the officer's uniforms from the new Star Trek movie. His isn't done yet, but you can see pictures of the movie ones here so you know what the hell I'm talking about : https://www.facebook.com/DavidTCheng/media_set?set=a.10200389233586914.1073741831.1037735166&type=1

I offered to make him the cap, but the link he sent me for a tutorial makes me feel like I have a learning disability when I read it: http://angalmond.blogspot.com/2008/06/how-to-make-officer-peaked-cap.html

I also found a tutorial on a site called Brass Goggles, but the page won't load.

Point being, do you all know how to make the cap? Or, can you point me to any decent tutorials?

NorseDanceParty
Jul 18, 2013
Hey is anyone going to DragonCon in a few weeks? I'll be there all 4 days if you guys wanna setup a goon meet.

Mecha Neko
Mar 16, 2011

NorseDanceParty posted:

Hey is anyone going to DragonCon in a few weeks? I'll be there all 4 days if you guys wanna setup a goon meet.

I'll be there!

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

malal posted:

I'm not sure if this goes here or the Warhammer thread, so I'll cross-post.

Have some WIP pictures of my Ork Warbike.

For riding to tournaments and pick-up games, I have hard-bag ammo cans to carry my army.

for showing off, Gamesday, and conventions they are removable and will be replaced with Dakka Kannons.

Exhaust

Gas tank parts.

Front fender

Many, Many more hours to go.

Dats ah proppa bike boss

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

Though they won't admit it, women were much happier when all they had to do was bake shit and pump out babies.
Pride was sweaty and hot and ridiculous, but so loving awesome.

Everything went amazingingly with the helmets - Nightshade did the trick with the visors, and the electronics worked out a-okay. The only hiccup was Thomas's lights blinking out halfway through the parade (battery problems and I didn't have any spares). Getting better pictures of our whole Pride costumes (and getting a better gif of the installed Guy Manuel lights) will happen this month, I hope. I'll eventually get around to resanding and painting Guy Manuel, and do the gloves, but right now it's just nice to have something all together. Also, I've been eyeing a Han Solo Blaster kit, so it may be time to get started on that noise - What is it, 8 months until Emerald City Comic Con?

My SO and I are in Portland during PAX :( Not this year, but we'll definitely bring out the helmets again whenever year we can make it down there.

duros
Mar 24, 2007

There is no try,
only dance!
Uh oh!

SLCGoth
Nov 8, 2009

NorseDanceParty posted:

My girlfriend, myself, and another good friend will all be there. I'd be down for a meet up...I just hope I don't catch the "Con Crud" on day 2 like I did last year.

I am just starting the final pour of her costume's mask today. Its not near as awesome as some of the stuff in this thread, so I don't want to take away from any of that. If someone is curious I could probably round up some pictures of the process from lifecast to latex mold.

Her and I have been planning our costumes since last year. This year I have two that I am bringing out: A District 9 Wikus type thing, and an Aliens Colonial Marine Class C uniform.

She is doing an HP Lovecraft innsmouth look that we have been working on (and my first latex casting since school a few years back).

Also if my friend can get his act together we are putting together a Ghostbusters flight suit, and he also wants to be a generic Firefly Browncoat (I built a fitting prop shotgun for him a few months back).

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
My buddy Beau Brown runs the Puppetry at Dragon-Con. If you see him tell him Dana says hi!

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*
So my 200 blue LEDs showed up today. Now I have to figure out how to wire them up. They're 3mm, so very tiny, but they're nice and bright. In fact, they're almost TOO small. I did find that wiring up 24 of them in parallel doesn't really need a resistor, and makes them CRAZY bright on 5 volts. So yay for that.

I would love to make something like what you did with your visor, Duros, but I don't think there's enough room inside mine. It's a pretty snug fit thanks to glasses. I certainly can "offload" a power/control box, so that's an option for wiring, but there just isn't a lot of room for a support structure.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

NorseDanceParty posted:

I will be Thursday night through Monday morning. I'm horrible at planning, so this year I'll be gooning it up in no costume.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
So we've been working...

So we're aiming for 3 full suits. Vac forms are all done, pieces are 90% cut out, tomorrow night we assemble for the other 2 suits!

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
McPantserton that looks rad. Where are you planning on taking that and can you post a picture of what you hope it to end up looking like?

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Thanks! We're taking them to GenCon and then GeekKon the weekend after.

Shooting for:

StarCraft marines. It's an action figure and not a game render but I'm lazy and it's a full front on shot so. I'm excited for the weekend, I'm going to paint the gently caress out of 'em. We got custom squad number decals done by goon jdubbya and pin up stickers from an artist named Andrew Bawidamann, think they are going to look so great! Also, they are LIGHT. SO light. The whole suit probably weighs less than 10 pounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mecha Neko
Mar 16, 2011

McPantserton posted:

So we've been working...

So we're aiming for 3 full suits. Vac forms are all done, pieces are 90% cut out, tomorrow night we assemble for the other 2 suits!

Holy poop, that looks amazing!

Working on this Girl Stinky thing, I spent an ungodly amount of time trying to modify a wig to get it to look right (the better part of a week), but I'm not skilled enough to get it to as good as the rest of the costume. I've learned quite a bit from trying, but I've reached a point that the frustration is getting overwhelming. So Plan B is to spray light blue and green color spray at my head to see if I can get the right hue, and Plan C is to bleach my hair right before Dragon*Con and Manic Panic it to within an inch of its life. Plan D is to research airbrush hair/makeup, but hopefully it won't come to that because that is the least practical of my options.

Harrumph.

EDIT: Pics from the costume test run. I think I need to practice the makeup a little more and the hair coloring isn't 100%, but I think I'll be recognizable to anyone that knows the character.

Mecha Neko fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Aug 11, 2013