Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
Its from this joke thread about King Kong destroying the building they work in if the demo doesn't come out soon enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Chief Savage Man posted:

I was number two in the world for the three days that Gettysburg: Armored Warfare had a large enough community to populate a single server.

I thought that game had great potential (if it had ever been, like, finished).

That game had some really great ideas. And then it had some not great ideas. There were a lot more of the latter, unfortunately.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Orv posted:

That game had some really great ideas. And then it had some not great ideas. There were a lot more of the latter, unfortunately.

At first I thought it was going to be like that expansion for Mount and Blade and you could have hundreds of players per side forming up lines and cutting loose with musket fire. That would've been a pretty cool game.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
The matches usually ended up with all the armored vehicles hanging around getting killed repeatedly by me (ruthlessly exploiting a bug where tank rounds were hitscan if you aimed directly at distant enemies), AI cavalry trying to hit tanks with a sword, every Zeppelin getting shot down almost instantly because they were big fat point pinatas and people attempting to use the troop transports for their intended purpose (they couldn't actually transport troops). It was fun in like a pre-Alpha way.

Ragg
Apr 27, 2003

<The Honorable Badgers>
EU4 demo is on steam! It works! Go download!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/236850/

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
If the download is giving you poo poo, restart Steam. Steam can get funky when trying to download things that were added to the store while you're logged on.

rhazes
Dec 17, 2006

Reduce the rectal spread!
Use glory holes instead!

An official message from the British Columbia Centre for Disease Control

Ragg posted:

I was just about to go to bed, but damnit, best birthday present ever. Thanks Johan/Wiz/pdox! :D

Initial thoughts:

- Beta is limited to playing Austria/Portugal/Ottomans/Venice, 1492 start.
- Can't find a way to play windowed mode, no .cfg file in the main directory where I can make the game windowed and also reduce the resolution by a few pixels in both axis but maintain aspect ratio (so the title bar doesn't mean the bottom part of the game is cut off and I can't scroll downwards.

rhazes fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Aug 8, 2013

Orv
May 4, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

At first I thought it was going to be like that expansion for Mount and Blade and you could have hundreds of players per side forming up lines and cutting loose with musket fire. That would've been a pretty cool game.

That game is actually being made but I forget the name of it and who's doing it.

E: Found it. It's being done by Flying Squirrel, the guys beyond Napoleonic Wars for Mount and Blade: Warband. It's on a completely new (non-M&B) engine and they're looking to have enormous battlefields with hundreds of players.

rhazes posted:

- Can't find a way to play windowed mode, no .cfg file in the main directory where I can make the game windowed and also reduce the resolution by a few pixels in both axis but maintain aspect ratio (so the title bar doesn't mean the bottom part of the game is cut off and I can't scroll downwards.

As ever, once you've run the game once you can find the settings.cfg in My Docs/Paradox Interactive/Europa Universalis IV Demo.

E: Armies have shadows now. :3:

Orv fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Aug 8, 2013

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
Since I was one of the 'anti-bumpy terrain map babies', literally the first thing I did was to try farting around with things in the map folder. I changed world_normal.bmp to just pure red and ended up with non-bumpy political maps:

But, unfortunately it makes the terrain map look so bad that it's not worth bothering with. I wish I could have the terrain map look the way that it should, and the political map look a bit more flat.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Kersch posted:

Since I was one of the 'anti-bumpy terrain map babies', literally the first thing I did was to try farting around with things in the map folder. I changed world_normal.bmp to just pure red and ended up with non-bumpy political maps:

But, unfortunately it makes the terrain map look so bad that it's not worth bothering with. I wish I could have the terrain map look the way that it should, and the political map look a bit more flat.

It ain't the bumps, it's the way they light up and look really doughy more than anything else. The bumps in CK2 looked great, dunno why they changed it.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Oh God demo games can't be saved or loaded.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

fuf posted:

:getin: This is gonna be great.

Kersch: Gotta say, I loving loved that flat map.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

fuf posted:

Ironman :colbert:

New AAR:
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?706269-Skanderbeg-s-Last-Stand-An-Albania-Beta-AAR-In-One-Chapter

rhazes
Dec 17, 2006

Reduce the rectal spread!
Use glory holes instead!

An official message from the British Columbia Centre for Disease Control

Wait, AI on Hard makes them pick on you? I thought hard AI just made them non-neutered. Maybe that's why my test playthrough of the demo as Venice have been going terribly.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Yeah from what I remember normal AI is full AI except it treats you exactly the same as any other AI nation. Easy is the neutered one, and Hard means that they know you are a human and rightly put you on a higher priority.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Zeron posted:

Yeah from what I remember normal AI is full AI except it treats you exactly the same as any other AI nation. Easy is the neutered one, and Hard means that they know you are a human and rightly put you on a higher priority.

Correct.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
As Venice in the demo Austria always seems to join against me in any war in Italy I start. Even though I am at +75 relations and allied with them. What can I do to stop this?

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Antinumeric posted:

As Venice in the demo Austria always seems to join against me in any war in Italy I start. Even though I am at +75 relations and allied with them. What can I do to stop this?

Usually you have to wait until the Emperor gets involved in an even bigger war so he'll ignore your transgressions.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

The Portugal start is a bit weird, the Exploration NI group is selected but none of the ideas are bought. I do however have colonies, an explorer and a conquistador, but no colonist.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Anybody else think it kinds of looks.. bad? It seems so terribly flat, as opposed to CK2 where everything sort of popped out. I'll probably get used to it, but for the mean time it looks so matted to me.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

I didn't know you were in the beta, Patter Song. No wonder you've not been making an Iron Cross AAR. :colbert:

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

ThePutty posted:

Anybody else think it kinds of looks.. bad? It seems so terribly flat, as opposed to CK2 where everything sort of popped out. I'll probably get used to it, but for the mean time it looks so matted to me.

Yea, something about the map and interface feels off when you're coming from CK2. Not a fan of the weird lightning during summers and the UI reminds me a bit too much of MEIOU (or whatever that awful sperg mod was called).

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Usually you have to wait until the Emperor gets involved in an even bigger war so he'll ignore your transgressions.

Yeah I didn't check the imperial map mode, going for further down the peninsula worked fine. Then Ottoman DoW'd me and all my allies declined. Hmm.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Yea, something about the map and interface feels off when you're coming from CK2. Not a fan of the weird lightning during summers and the UI reminds me a bit too much of MEIOU (or whatever that awful sperg mod was called).

Something about the UI does feel kind of off. I think I'd prefer a plainer UI instead of all the gold trim and tiny icons.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Having played the demo, I really like the look of the trade system, and the new interplay between tech and ideas is awesome too. Feeling pretty happy about the pre-order.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I think it looks great. So far everything is meeting my expectations.

First weird / annoying thing to happen: As Portugal I got called into England's war against France. I didn't really take part but noticed that "Leader may negotiate for us" was ticked on the war screen. Then a few years later I noticed a "Truce will expire" notification, so the war must have ended without me even realising.

But the annoying thing is that England apparently gave Ceuta and Tangiers to Morocco as part of the peace deal (Morocco wasn't even in the war)! There was no pop up or anything, I just noticed a few months later that I didn't own them any more (and that my missionary who was at ~90% was back home :( ).

So untick the "leader may negotiate for us" box I guess, unless you want to risk losing provinces.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
Playing around with Venice the trade system is really great but gently caress those Ottomans who are trying to steal my poo poo when I just want to trade.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

What the hell, playing Portugal, I accepted England's CtA against France thinking they would ignore me. I even went to war with Morocco at the same time to fulfill my mission. Not only did they send their freaking superking's stack to Portugal, they completely ignored England. England's navy was chasing the southern French navy that kept dropping more troops in Portugal but never actually engaged them for some reason.
Just as I was done with Morocco and slowly beating down the French stack, England peaced out and somehow gave my 2 provinces in Northern Africa back to Morocco, who isn't allied to France or in the war with France, they weren't occupied or anything. I wasn't even notified of the peace deal! Wtf is that?

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost
What's the go with the deluxe version of EU4? Is it worth the extra $5, or is it just a couple of bits of window dressing you can live without?

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Beamed posted:

I didn't know you were in the beta, Patter Song. No wonder you've not been making an Iron Cross AAR. :colbert:

It's...not a surprise that EU4 is more fun than Iron Cross. I told Wiz that when Azerithread comes back after release, Iron Cross LP will drop.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Vodos posted:

What the hell, playing Portugal, I accepted England's CtA against France thinking they would ignore me. I even went to war with Morocco at the same time to fulfill my mission. Not only did they send their freaking superking's stack to Portugal, they completely ignored England. England's navy was chasing the southern French navy that kept dropping more troops in Portugal but never actually engaged them for some reason.
Just as I was done with Morocco and slowly beating down the French stack, England peaced out and somehow gave my 2 provinces in Northern Africa back to Morocco, who isn't allied to France or in the war with France, they weren't occupied or anything. I wasn't even notified of the peace deal! Wtf is that?

Ha, glad it wasn't just me I guess. :)

Best feature so far: the siege sound effect no longer makes me want to die.

edit: ok this time it was Spain that called me into a war against Morocco. The "leader may negotiate for us" box was definitely NOT ticked. Then a few months in I get a pop up saying Spain has made peace and the war is over. On the plus side Spain forced Morocco to give my two provinces back as part of the peace deal. Still, it's a bit weird that I lost those provinces then got them back, and both times I had no control over anything.

fuf fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Aug 8, 2013

Pooned
Dec 28, 2005

Eye contact counters everything
The game looks and feel amazing. Can't wait for all the incredible drama it will produce in multiplayer.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Okay, I guess it was covered in a DD and I just didn't overread it, but can someone explain sieges to me, specifically what the percentages mean? They just randomly seem to jump up and down, from 28% to 7% without actually indicating how much the siege progressed or how long it will take to conquer the province.

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

e X posted:

Okay, I guess it was covered in a DD and I just didn't overread it, but can someone explain sieges to me, specifically what the percentages mean? They just randomly seem to jump up and down, from 28% to 7% without actually indicating how much the siege progressed or how long it will take to conquer the province.

that drop is from when a province is not blockaded.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
As soon as the demo ended I instantly wanted more. :smith:

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ragg posted:

... which I can't download because I already own it???

e: restart steam, nm

WhiskeyJuvenile fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Aug 8, 2013

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

pdxjohan posted:

that drop is from when a province is not blockaded.

Ahh, thank you, I was sieging Venice at the time, that makes a lot of sense.

Jean Pony
Nov 27, 2007

Paradox dudes:

The loading screen tool tip regarding light ships and maintenance lacks an 'of'. "If you have a lot light ships".

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
Vicky 2 question: how do I recover a province from having a population of literally 3? Colonised South Georgia as Brazil because I could beat the UK to it, but I had an influenza pandemic at the time and it dropped the pop from 15 to 3. Trying to encourage bureaucrats and immigration and clergymen and farmers has done nothing to bring anyone in :( What's more the indigenous people there are culturally British for some reason, and without any Brazilians they can't assimilate in order to turn it into a state to get my colonial points (all 5 of them, but still) back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008
My map in the demo seems to have shadow continents in the ocean?

http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheBelgian/screenshot/921270022785649025

• Locked thread