Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

Lightning Zwei posted:

Holy gently caress. How do you sleep at night?
Not trying to be a dick but is your mentality just gently caress it, it's all a wash, might as well rack up the student loans since I'll never be able to pay them off anyway? Not saying that you do necessarily feel that way, but I imagine that a frightening number of people probably actually have this mentality.

Haha, no way. I only have loan debt from undergrad. My grad program pays me a stipend and my tuition is waived, so no new debt. It's basically just like having a job but I get bitched at a lot more and have to teach :). The new Master's degree I'm looking into is Geography - same deal. You get a monthly stipend (actually a lot more than I'm getting now doing biology) and your tuition is waived.

Most of our debt is from my husband's crappy Social Science undergrad degree but like I said, his mom paid it off and she's only making him pay her $150 a month so it's basically a non-issue. My debt is 20K-ish, his is 30K-ish.

I'm actually terrifyingly good with money. Like, people in my grad program that get the same pay as me are always like "how do you have so much money?" I don't know, I just don't buy crap I don't need! My husband and I only make maybe 25K a year combined and we aren't struggling. As soon as I get a "real job" that pays me a decent wage we're gonna save money like nobody's business because we're frugal as hell, don't plan on having kids, don't care about the "American Dream" of owning a home, and all that jazz. If I made even 5K more a year every penny would go towards our debt (and ideally I'd like to have twice as much or more in savings). After that, any extra money will just go to various investments and retirement savings so ideally we can retire early. Yeah, I do think about the future! But the future is later. Right now we're just dumb hippies doing nothing :)

Plus, my husband's family has a huge amount of land. We actually live on it right now. If I can't get a good job, we'll just get some cattle and work on the ranch. Yes we really can do this, it's not just a pipe dream. We just... I don't know... don't want to mess with all that crap right now. I gotta finish my Master's degree first! Also we're super lazy! But in the future we might!

So no I don't have that mentality, and I'm actually worried that a lot of people do!

razz fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Aug 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I spent roughly half of my monthly "fun money" last night on beer and a sandwich at an overpriced breastaurant. It was definitely not worth the price, nor is my hangover.

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

Lightning Zwei posted:

Holy gently caress. How do you sleep at night?
Not trying to be a dick but is your mentality just gently caress it, it's all a wash, might as well rack up the student loans since I'll never be able to pay them off anyway? Not saying that you do necessarily feel that way, but I imagine that a frightening number of people probably actually have this mentality.

I have friends from law school like this. Once you attain a certain level of student loan debt, and realize you're going to be paying it off for 20 years anyway, if you don't find a job you like (or can't find one at all), you just head back to school and rack up more debt -- then get on the IBR student loan forgiveness plan. It's an income based payment so how much you have in loans doesn't matter except at the time of forgiveness when you have to pay taxes on the amount outstanding that's forgiven. Just have to put up with 25 years of student loan payments if you're not in public service.

Dijkstra
May 21, 2002

I get that for some things you really have to go to grad school... for a while even. But this idea that if you don't find your perfect job right out of grad school you have to go back to grad school for something else is pretty silly.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

razz posted:

It's all good man! Hope your wife finds a job. Luckily for me I get a graduate research stipend. It's like a dollar above minimum wage but it supports us because I really am good with money! And someday I'll get a real job! Maybe. After I graduate I'm thinking about switching majors and going back for more graduate school! I just don't know if I can handle a 9-5, you know? I'm 27 and have never had one. The idea does not appeal to me. Or my husband. We'll probably be bums forever!
Here's what you're not getting. You're 27, so you haven't quite seen the compounding effect of intelligent financial decisions yet. You might start to get a slight inkling that something's up as your fiscally smarter friends pay down their debt and you increase yours. You might feel it a little when your friends go to Hawaii and you don't. But, hey, not having a 9-5 is awesome! Not going to Hawaii is a small price to pay.

But then they save more, and their assets increase, and yours dwindle. First they buy a house, which they get to own forever. In a few years they get to own more things - decent furniture, a backyard, they even get to have kids and feel confident that college is within reach. They are building a life, and you are relying on some poorly thought-out plan involving cattle for emotional support. By the time you're forty - a mere 13 years from now - it's becoming clearer and clearer that there is more and more that they will get to do that you won't. And eventually they will make money without going to work at all, and you will be in the hole, every month, without having spent a cent on yourself.

I, too, am lazy. But I'm so lazy that I'm trying to reduce the amount of work that I have to do over my lifetime, not just the next year. That is true, glorious, fruitful laziness.

Debt is debt. You are going to have to work it off eventually, and you will get used to work very fast. START NOW.

EDIT: Here's a test of your financial acumen. For an intelligent individual, how much does a $50,000 debt to a 27-year-old cost them over the course of their lifetime, assuming 6% average returns on investment? How many years of work have you committed yourself to?

No Wave fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Aug 8, 2013

tiananman
Feb 6, 2005
Non-Headkins Splatoma

Hip Hoptimus Prime posted:

I am so afraid to ever have a child because of this. I mean right now we're on a straight shot to paying off debt, and can still put quite a bit into savings, but I feel like we have a kid, we won't ever save again because of all extra money funneling to the kid. Goodbye vacations, discretionary fun purchases, and maybe even Roth IRA contributions (which I'm starting next month and will increase once our debt is gone). Plus, at my job, I don't make enough money to justify childcare, so it's pretty much going to be goodbye 2nd income until they are school age, too. :ohdear:

Yeah, they say the average American family spends $15k in the first year of their first born's life. I initially laughed when I heard that, until I realized we spent that much easily. Maybe twice that...

My wife and I spend $1k a month on daycare alone. Some of that is pre-tax, but it's still a chunk.

We're still saving money, it's just not as easy as it used to be. We look at each other and wonder "how the gently caress did we not save way more money before the baby?"

I know the answer: we ate out more, went on more vacations, spent more on entertainment and shopped more.

Instead of eating out for EVERY lunch and most dinners, we eat out a couple of times a week. Vacations are either traveling to visit family, or camping somewhere nearby. I haven't seen the inside of an airplane or a hotel in years. We have netflix, but we dropped cable, gamefly and we've been to the movies 3 times in 3 years. Skyrim was a good purchase. Still playing that 2 years later.

We had to learn how to really budget, because we don't have that $1k floating around anymore.

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

No Wave posted:

But then they save more, and their assets increase, and yours dwindle. First they buy a house, which they get to own forever. In a few years they get to own more things - decent furniture, a backyard, they even get to have kids and feel confident that college is within reach. They are building a life, and you are relying on some poorly thought-out plan involving cattle for emotional support. By the time you're forty - a mere 13 years from now - it's becoming clearer and clearer that there is more and more that they will get to do that you won't. And eventually they will make money without going to work at all, and you will be in the hole, every month, without having spent a cent on yourself.

Except they already said they didn't want kids and don't care about home ownership. You can build a great life without those things. Most 30+ year olds with a mortgage will be in far greater debt than $50,000 and they may or may not own their home outright ever. Add in kids and they may or may not have increasing assets either. You're surrounding yourself with some very financially responsible hypothetical friends. More likely, those friends have a lease on their SUV, a large mortgage and possibly credit card debt.

They will likely service their loan debt quicker than someone who wants to own a house and is paying down a mortgage (which is 15-30 years of debt for most people) and be debt free. They'll start contributing to their 401ks late which will hurt, but if they're frugal and money conscious they'll be ahead of most Americans. They will likely get ahead of their counterparts as two child-free people in their 30s and 40s while their friends are realizing that kids can be pricey. They won't be tied down to any home so they're free to move around, travel, do whatever they have in mind for their life. They have a backup plan with cattle if they can't find jobs. But it's obviously an extreme backup (most Americans don't have a good backup plan for losing a job either aside from unemployment).

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

No Wave posted:

Here's what you're not getting. You're 27, so you haven't quite seen the compounding effect of intelligent financial decisions yet. You might start to get a slight inkling that something's up as your fiscally smarter friends pay down their debt and you increase yours. You might feel it a little when your friends go to Hawaii and you don't. But, hey, not having a 9-5 is awesome! Not going to Hawaii is a small price to pay.

Keeping_up_with_the_Joneses.txt

Not everyone desires a house with a white picket fence, 2.5 kids and a SUV.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

WampaLord posted:

Keeping_up_with_the_Joneses.txt

Not everyone desires a house with a white picket fence, 2.5 kids and a SUV.
Who the gently caress wants an SUV? Sorry I talked about a house or whatever, I'm trying to get the point across that it's pretty easy to not make life a loving struggle.

Two hundred thousand dollars at age 60 (estimation: making max 401k contribution for the next two years), or another master's degree. What kind of a choice is that?

HooKars posted:

They will likely service their loan debt quicker than someone who wants to own a house and is paying down a mortgage (which is 15-30 years of debt for most people) and be debt free. They'll start contributing to their 401ks late which will hurt, but if they're frugal and money conscious they'll be ahead of most Americans. They will likely get ahead of their counterparts as two child-free people in their 30s and 40s while their friends are realizing that kids can be pricey. They won't be tied down to any home so they're free to move around, travel, do whatever they have in mind for their life. They have a backup plan with cattle if they can't find jobs. But it's obviously an extreme backup (most Americans don't have a good backup plan for losing a job either aside from unemployment).
Why are you comparing them to most Americans? You might as well be comparing them to most people in the world, who live in third-world conditions. They should be looking at how the choices that they are making are affecting their life, and what their future could look like if they were making different choices. That is how you evaluate your actions.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

No Wave posted:

Who the gently caress wants an SUV? Sorry I talked about a house or whatever, I'm trying to get the point across that it's pretty easy to not make life a loving struggle.

razz posted:

My husband and I only make maybe 25K a year combined and we aren't struggling.

You seem like a cool poster (seriously, I've really enjoyed some of your thoughts in E/N), but maybe you shouldn't judge someone's situation when they know more about it than you do? And you definitely implied that having a house and kids that go to college is "building a life" when there are plenty of lifestyles that don't include those things.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

WampaLord posted:

You seem like a cool poster (seriously, I've really enjoyed some of your thoughts in E/N), but maybe you shouldn't judge someone's situation when they know more about it than you do? And you definitely implied that having a house and kids that go to college is "building a life" when there are plenty of lifestyles that don't include those things.

I think the point is less the material things, and more the safety net to retire. They may be happy now but they aren't going to have a safety net to retire on at this rate. Some unpleasant work now will save a lot of headache later when they are 70, much more than another masters degree will.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Studies show that most people underestimate how much they will change as they age. Going into large amounts of debt with dim prospects for high-paying jobs means that your options for a lot of things (kids, house, travel, etc.) are more restricted. Sure, maybe they'll be ok working mediocre jobs for low pay indefinitely, but there's no guarantee of that. Being more financially prudent gives you more breathing room in case you do end up wanting some thing or some lifestyle that costs more money down the line.

But really, this is BFC. Of course we're going to criticize a financial plan that includes "we'll probably be bums forever!" If someone doesn't want criticism of their bad financial plan (and honestly I doubt razz really cares), then they shouldn't post about it in a forum dedicated to financial advice.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Quite a few people I know have the viewpoint that saving for retirement is pointless due to the massive inflation in health care costs. Their view is that unless your savings are at the seven figure mark, most of your retirement money will be spent in the hospital or nursing home, so may as well enjoy it while you can.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
No more discussion, more stories.

edit:vv I forgive you since you were probably still typing. Nobody else gets a free pass. If you want to discuss things, take it to another thread or post here but have a funny story to go along with it.

moana fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Aug 8, 2013

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

No Wave posted:

Two hundred thousand dollars at age 60 (estimation: making max 401k contribution for the next two years), or another master's degree. What kind of a choice is that?

Why are you comparing them to most Americans? You might as well be comparing them to most people in the world, who live in third-world conditions. They should be looking at how the choices that they are making are affecting their life, and what their future could look like if they were making different choices. That is how you evaluate your actions.

A lot of people choose having a job they love over money - it's not some no brainer. If the masters degree helps them get to their dream job or even if they just really love education and learning - if those are things they prioritize then they may as well go after it. People go into massive amounts of debt for shelter that they like, that seems more weird than doing it for something that will likely spend at least 40hrs a week doing for almost 40 more years doing. There are certain things in life people are willing to go into debt for and be tied to a large payment for awhile. Most people think undergrad is worth it, so did she, and now she's pursuing higher education in a way that pays her. That education may be worth more to her than putting $16000 in a 401k.

You began your argument by comparing them to their financially savvy friends and what awesome fulfilling lives they'll have with their homes and kids and nice furniture. In reality, their friends are much more likely to have debt of their own that they accumulated while getting those things. And you listed a bunch of things that they have no interest in like a home or kids. If you're not starting a family, it's not unheard of to prioritize things like a great job or travel instead.

Edit:: sorry moana

HooKars fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Aug 8, 2013

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Konstantin posted:

Quite a few people I know have the viewpoint that saving for retirement is pointless due to the massive inflation in health care costs. Their view is that unless your savings are at the seven figure mark, most of your retirement money will be spent in the hospital or nursing home, so may as well enjoy it while you can.

You hear stories of older people keeping A LOT of money in cash due to medicare/the nursing homes coming after all their assets. I don't really blame them to be honest.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!
Not really a bad with money story but this just happened to me so I thought I'd share:: I have some accounts from back in the day that I really never touch. Ones an investment account and the other is a high interest savings account. I get statements for them in the mail but aside from that, I don't have them set up to monitor online anymore (I used to but they changed their site and I had problems reregistering and logging on). Apparently there's been no activity related to those accounts for awhile now and apparently after a certain period of time, the state will try to seize it. I got a notice in the mail asking me to sign saying I'm alive basically or else they'd begin the seizure process. It scares me to think that if I hadn't opened that letter promptly (or my mom hadnt - it came to her address) - my money could potentially be tied up in some state action. It also annoys me - I pay taxes on the interest from those accounts every year - do they think some dead person is doing that?

It's not a story about being bad with money but it was a wake up call to stay on top of all my accounts and a realization that not being proactive in keeping up with your accounts could turn someone with a decent amount of savings into someone bad with money.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

HooKars posted:

Not really a bad with money story but this just happened to me so I thought I'd share:: I have some accounts from back in the day that I really never touch. Ones an investment account and the other is a high interest savings account. I get statements for them in the mail but aside from that, I don't have them set up to monitor online anymore (I used to but they changed their site and I had problems reregistering and logging on). Apparently there's been no activity related to those accounts for awhile now and apparently after a certain period of time, the state will try to seize it. I got a notice in the mail asking me to sign saying I'm alive basically or else they'd begin the seizure process. It scares me to think that if I hadn't opened that letter promptly (or my mom hadnt - it came to her address) - my money could potentially be tied up in some state action. It also annoys me - I pay taxes on the interest from those accounts every year - do they think some dead person is doing that?

It's not a story about being bad with money but it was a wake up call to stay on top of all my accounts and a realization that not being proactive in keeping up with your accounts could turn someone with a decent amount of savings into someone bad with money.

That's not the end of the world. Many states have an "unclaimed property" division that helps out there. If a business or individual owes some money to a resident of the state and they can't find the owner, it gets sent to the unclaimed property division. The state holds onto it for like 10 years and tries to find the owner (if they're still in the state). After that point, it's either returned to the original company (if possible) or tossed into the state's treasury. You can go search online and see if the state has some money owed to you.

My dad checked a few years ago and got a $250 insurance refund from years ago. He had no idea he was owed that money, and he had somehow slipped through the cracks on his insurance company's systems. The process is about as difficult as getting a new social security card. Sort of a pain, but not really as Byzantine as you'd expect.

Content:
My parents bought an alarm system from a door-to-door sales guy (who happened to be a dirtbag I went to high school with). They got the equipment "free", with a contract for $55/month monitoring for the next 24 months. You can buy the exact same equipment from Amazon for about $200, and pay a company $10 or so a month to monitor it.

Never buy anything sold door-to-door. If the product was that great, a company could get customers without knocking doors.

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja
A little long, but worth it.

One of my former customers was adopted from a South American orphanage by a couple who owned one of the largest publishing empires in the USA. The child grew up in the lap of luxury and was spoiled rotten.

At sixteen he had a $150k Mercedes (totaled twice, replaced with a throwaway Range Rover). At seventeen he had a used Ferrari (totaled in a few months) and his wardrobe was exclusively Gucci. Then he graduated high school, lived at home, and his expenses were low because he didn't do anything but play video games and smoke weed all day.

At 21 the parents decided to retire to Europe and gave him an Amex black card. As a tax dodge they gave him a job at the family company and told the accounting department to mix his expenses in with everyone else's. As dad was retiring there was no one to watch the bills: He ran wild.

Cocaine by the kilo, champagne by the case, and a few prostitutes moved into his house. Private jet flights anywhere and everywhere for his entire entourage. He would call a helicopter to avoid a 60 minute drive. He spent a year partying around the world, and every night was at least a $20,000 hedonistic adventure.

Over a year he spent almost $10,000,000 before his parents realized what had happened. They took away his credit cards and sent him to some kind of financial bootcamp for the ultra-wealthy.

But it didn't work. He had written down the numbers from his credit cards and just had stores enter them manually. He got away with that for three more months before the parents threatened to only give him a $150,000 annual stipend. He was so afraid of "being poor" he cleaned up his act immediately.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Before I was so RUDELY PROBATED I was editing my post to include my friend's latest bad with money story: Falling in love with a stripper. The details are somewhat light but I guess he spent about $500 on private dances with this chick over the period of a month or so, and he thought "she really liked him" and was really surprised when she "didn't return his txts".

More bad at effort than money, here is a picture (sorry it will make you just as queasy from the focus of the picture as the content itself) of the dude's dining area. The dining table (aka recycling staging area) is completely full so it's now spilled out onto the floor. Those tools sitting by the couch? They've been there since I was helping him work on his house back in April. They haven't moved an inch. He jokingly said (though it wasn't a joke) "Well I did just take recycling in February". The recycling center is half a mile from his house.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

dreesemonkey posted:

Before I was so RUDELY PROBATED I was editing my post to include my friend's latest bad with money story: Falling in love with a stripper. The details are somewhat light but I guess he spent about $500 on private dances with this chick over the period of a month or so, and he thought "she really liked him" and was really surprised when she "didn't return his txts".

More bad at effort than money, here is a picture (sorry it will make you just as queasy from the focus of the picture as the content itself) of the dude's dining area. The dining table (aka recycling staging area) is completely full so it's now spilled out onto the floor. Those tools sitting by the couch? They've been there since I was helping him work on his house back in April. They haven't moved an inch. He jokingly said (though it wasn't a joke) "Well I did just take recycling in February". The recycling center is half a mile from his house.

This looks a lot like my girlfriend's roomate's recycling mess. She stole a recycling box from school, put all of the beers and what not from her multiple house parties into this box. Then she let it sit for 4 months. Overtime, milk cartons, juice jugs, and other miscellaneous containers found them in this box. I eventually had enough and ended up going to the recycling center myself with the junk. Ended up earning about $75. Roommate didn't even really care about this.

On the note about being bad with money - this girl is relatively well-off. Family owns a Chinese restaurant internationally so she seems to have a lot of disposable income. She's bought shawls that cost $800, overpriced boots, all this other stuff that she is either racking up huge credit card statements for or asking her parents to pay for. She then has the audacity to ask my girlfriend whether she can charge the subletter of one of their rooms an additional $200 so that she can have more disposable income. poo poo like that pisses me off (or she just does)

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Shadowhand00 posted:

On the note about being bad with money - this girl is relatively well-off. Family owns a Chinese restaurant internationally so she seems to have a lot of disposable income. She's bought shawls that cost $800, overpriced boots, all this other stuff that she is either racking up huge credit card statements for or asking her parents to pay for. She then has the audacity to ask my girlfriend whether she can charge the subletter of one of their rooms an additional $200 so that she can have more disposable income. poo poo like that pisses me off (or she just does)
I don't get it. Why not charge more for the sublet? Seems totally fair if people are willing to pay that for the room.

Silly Hippie
Sep 18, 2007

No Wave posted:

I don't get it. Why not charge more for the sublet? Seems totally fair if people are willing to pay that for the room.

It sounded to me like they already had a subletter and she wanted to raise their rent by $200, which is kind of dickish.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Sorry should clarify - Silly Hippie is correct.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
I had a client cash in all of his investments and buy in to an emu farm.

I wish I was joking, I really, really do.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
Hey I hear those emu farms actually do pretty good if you know what you're doing! But it's a really big initial investment.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

razz posted:

Hey I hear those emu farms actually do pretty good if you know what you're doing! But it's a really big initial investment.

Yeah, well, said client heard this as well. I switched companies a few years after this happened and had to leave my client list behind. Ran in to this guy a few years later.

Apparently didn't work out so well.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

grack posted:

I had a client cash in all of his investments and buy in to an emu farm.

I wish I was joking, I really, really do.

It's amazing how many people don't realize that any kind of profitable farm is a poo poo ton of work and requires a lot of knowledge to even stand a chance of succeeding.

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

Thou bootless clapper-clawed varlot!
I know somebody who had an elk farm (I think it was elk, maybe emu?). Apparently some disease was going around all the elk farms, so he got his animals vaccinated. Then, the government said he didn't have to destroy them, but nobody was allowed to sell elk. Then, the government reimbursed people who had to destroy their elk. That means this guy spent the money on vaccinations, still couldn't sell the animals, but wasn't reimbursed from the government because he never had to destroy the elk.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
Probably something to do with Chronic Wasting Disease. It's a disease that affects deer, elk, and other cervids. It's easy to test for it though, and it can't spread to non-cervids including cattle or humans so it's basically a great example of the government flipping out over nothing because they went around culling tons of wild and captive herds. The federal and state government also spent a lot of taxpayer dollars testing animals for CWD and the reality is... it's never been shown to be a human health risk.

I used to get paid $12 per animal to test them for CWD. It was dumb. There's like... 3 reported cases in my state. And like I said, it does nothing but make deer, elk, and other cervids die. Doesn't affect us. Doesn't affect cows or sheep or goats or horses. We can't get it even if we eat an animal with CWD.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Yeah the elk farmer's operation seems less about being bad with money and more about being unfortunate collateral damage due to bad regulation. :(

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

SpelledBackwards posted:

Yeah the elk farmer's operation seems less about being bad with money and more about being unfortunate collateral damage due to bad regulation. :(

Yep the government is responsible for a lot of small farming business going under the bus, both due to over-regulation and also the fact that the government is in general much more supportive of large industrial farming operations than it is of small local "hobby" farms and at times seems to actively want to shut down the small farms. There's also the fact that profit margins on farms are so narrow that if anything goes wrong the farm is in danger of going under, and a couple bad years (or new costly government regulations that could be easily absorbed by an industrial farm) can lead to bankruptcy for a small operation.

A good example right now is the "free range" egg industry. Sounds nice to buy eggs from chickens that are allowed outside and get to touch grass and see sunlight, right? Lots of people started these free-range egg farming operations and did well for themselves and increased animal welfare at the same time. Well, now the USDA is saying that free range chickens pose a health risk due to potential contact with wildlife (never been shown to be true), so they're working on shutting down these typically small locally-owned operations, essentially forcing all egg production to go back to the large-scale industrial battery cage type of egg production, and ruining people's livelihoods at the same time.

razz fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Aug 12, 2013

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

grack posted:

Yeah, well, said client heard this as well. I switched companies a few years after this happened and had to leave my client list behind. Ran in to this guy a few years later.

Apparently didn't work out so well.

Should have gone with Goats. Bonus Goats

Socialized
Oct 27, 2010
Bad with money? I think my wife and I are fit for this thread.

We have 250 dollars in our checking account and 10 in our savings. We have 3 relatively low limit (highest is $3000) credit cards, all of which are nearly maxed out. I have about 2000 dollars in student loans, and have been bad at paying them back. I was able to defer for a while, but now I have until February to get rid of my past-due balance before I default (its only 150 dollars though). My wife has over $30,000 in student loans, but we've been pretty good at making those payments.

I bring in $1900 a month working a full time job along with a second, part time job. My wife doesn't work. She tries to sell stuff through one of those Mary Kay-style companies, but has very few customers and has spent much more on updating her stock and placing orders to keep her account active than she has made in profit. She has earned less than $1000 in the past two years doing this. So, this isn't very much money at all for two people. We even decided against enrolling in my company's 401k program because having so much taken out of my check every week would be disaster.

We have a higher than average grocery budget because we get a lot of junky food and are impulsive when it comes to grocery shopping. We also eat out a lot and she drinks at bars with friends fairly regularly (and is bad at bar dice). Add to this online shopping habits, a monthly Zales payment, a monthly massage appointment, and now a monthly payment for a $1000 Verlo mattress. At least the rent for our 1-bedroom apartment is decent (500 a month with water, heat, and electricity included). Did I mention we have four (4) cats, too? All they do is eat and poo poo in a box and pee outside the drat box which really adds up as well.

We do get some help from generous family. When the brakes went out for the second time on my car, my in-laws gave us one of their old ones and bought a new Ford for themselves. He payed the car insurance ahead, so that's a cost we don't have to worry about for a little while.

I've been complacent for a while and have been only recently really paying attention to our finances and wrangle them into order. Things have gotten a bit better, we don't bounce checks nearly as often (but just did a week ago).

We are pretty young (I'm 21, she's 22, and we got married two years ago) but this is just dumb. I also feel my wife has unrealistic expectations. She's talking about having kids soon and wants to buy a house, going so far as to talk to a realtor and see if we could be approved for a mortgage. The banker never bothered to even call back. I'm just glad we're very healthy and have few medical expenses, just $50 for my contacts every 3 months.

Socialized fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Aug 15, 2013

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I don't think I've ever wished for a post to be a troll/fakepost more than I just did right now. drat dude.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Holy poo poo that's pretty bad. Your wife sounds like she's in denial and this is going to get much worse for you very quickly if you don't change immediately.

Why did you get married at 19 and where can I find a $500 apartment?

Socialized
Oct 27, 2010

THE RED MENACE posted:

Why did you get married at 19 and where can I find a $500 apartment?

My neck of Wisconsin has a relatively cheap cost of living.

The other question is E/N poo poo I'd really rather not get into here.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Socialized posted:

My neck of Wisconsin has a relatively cheap cost of living.

The other question is E/N poo poo I'd really rather not get into here.

You should post a thread here if you want help/encouragement wrangling your expenses.

Socialized
Oct 27, 2010

Colbear posted:

You should post a thread here if you want help/encouragement wrangling your expenses.

I've been thinking about it, I'll probably write up an OP soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja

Socialized posted:

Bad with money? I think my wife and I are fit for this thread.

All of your financial problems can be solved by your wife getting a fast food or gas station job.

You'll be just fine.

• Locked thread