Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
The Everquest tutorial will always be cool to me since it felt like a solid story quest. Always wish they'd do stuff like that ingame more often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xars
Jul 7, 2013

Meowbot posted:

I was hunting at level 65 with 100% AA/0% experience and fell asleep in walls of slaughter and woke up with 30 AA but it looks like since I maxed out AA it rolls over to normal experience because my chars who were 8% into 65 were halfway through level 66! Is there a way to turn that off or do you just have to make sure you don't go over 30 AA? I am kinda bummed because I heard level 65 was the best to grind AA here.

If you read my guide on WoS, you can easily grind/AFK camp all the way to and including 82 (North Camp goes green at 83).

Tip: When you're at your computer, grind AA's and spend them frequently. When you have a long AFK, do your levels.

You didn't ruin anything by hitting lvl 65.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Do pet weapons make much of a difference ? I've just started a necro who is now level 14, and was wondering if I should bother mages for some summoned weapons ?

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Baconroll posted:

Do pet weapons make much of a difference ? I've just started a necro who is now level 14, and was wondering if I should bother mages for some summoned weapons ?

For the most part weapons don't matter until your pet can proc them. That being said I think the high level summoned weapons add HP. What you want is the highest level set of armor / jewelry / weapons on your pet cause it will make him a beast

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

Anyone know the command for MQ2 to make it play a distinctive sound when a mob spawns? Need to get Dread/Fright/Terror for shaman's child's tear but can't figure out how to get the popfilter thing to work.

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor
I think I've been misunderstanding the payment structure for ISBoxer etc, it's really only $3 a month? I thought it had a $50 upfront cost or something for the other software to use it? If that's the case then it's time to see if this shed will run 2 boxes, especially as it seems you get a 7 day trial.

Are LDON's worth doing for xp nowadays? They used to be okay if the hotspots were all camped etc, guaranteed chain of mobs and a fresh one every 15 mins or so.

If you were mad enough to think about levelling a warrior up, what would be a better second buff etc box, bard or shaman? I can see bard would be a good afk 2nd box for a lot more classes than a shaman but shaman buffs along with haste/slows etc would be drat nice for melee classes.

Edit: VVV Even $5 a month for three months is pretty darn good if it works on my craptop.

Fazana fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Aug 7, 2013

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

Last I paid isboxer came out to $5 a month, $15 for 3 months. They give you a free trial I believe.

d3k0y
May 30, 2013

Baconroll posted:

Like the other guy said, weapons aren't a huge increase (they are an increase though) until the pet can proc, however you should always (especially at low levels) look into Spectral Plate and the Muzzle of Mardu in the Bazaar. You can usually pick them up for 200pp total and it gives something like 2000hp, +50 all stats, some combat innates, and 11% haste.

They are usable at level 1 for pets and add in a Temperance for the pet, and you will have a near unstoppable beast that will have more HP than most level 50-60s at level 1.

Xars
Jul 7, 2013

Midnight City posted:

Last I paid isboxer came out to $5 a month, $15 for 3 months. They give you a free trial I believe.

Yup.

And a year is $50 or $4.16 a month.

He may have raised prices over the past few years. I thought at one-time I could get a year at $36 or so.

Whether you're running multiple free accounts on Test or paying for multiple accounts on Live, it's worth it.

si
Apr 26, 2004

d3k0y posted:

Like the other guy said, weapons aren't a huge increase (they are an increase though) until the pet can proc, however you should always (especially at low levels) look into Spectral Plate and the Muzzle of Mardu in the Bazaar. You can usually pick them up for 200pp total and it gives something like 2000hp, +50 all stats, some combat innates, and 11% haste.

They are usable at level 1 for pets and add in a Temperance for the pet, and you will have a near unstoppable beast that will have more HP than most level 50-60s at level 1.

What happens to these items when your pet gets killed?

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

si posted:

What happens to these items when your pet gets killed?

You lose them forever once you hand them over.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Vomik posted:

You lose them forever once you hand them over.

I remember back in the day of sometime in 1999 collecting and selling Fine Steel weapons from CT to pet users. My poor rogue made a small fortune.

d3k0y
May 30, 2013
The spells are free to cast, and now that all the spells are easy peasy to find in PoK if you can find a friendly mage to cast them for you they are free for them to do (no reagent). So if you are just starting out, spend some time hunting around since 200pp is pretty hard to come by for fresh characters. But yes you lose the item forever if you give it to your pet, so keep that in mind when thinking of survival and when upgrading your pets.

Luckily mages are one of the more popular classes now a days, so you should have trouble finding out, finding a nice one however...

Xars
Jul 7, 2013

Fazana posted:

I think I've been misunderstanding the payment structure for ISBoxer etc, it's really only $3 a month? I thought it had a $50 upfront cost or something for the other software to use it? If that's the case then it's time to see if this shed will run 2 boxes, especially as it seems you get a 7 day trial.

Are LDON's worth doing for xp nowadays? They used to be okay if the hotspots were all camped etc, guaranteed chain of mobs and a fresh one every 15 mins or so.

If you were mad enough to think about levelling a warrior up, what would be a better second buff etc box, bard or shaman? I can see bard would be a good afk 2nd box for a lot more classes than a shaman but shaman buffs along with haste/slows etc would be drat nice for melee classes.

Edit: VVV Even $5 a month for three months is pretty darn good if it works on my craptop.

Please don't ever do LDoNs for exp. Please.

For the warrior, are you going to use mercs during the leveling process or just the 2nd toon? If yes to mercs, bard is fine. If no mercs, the go shaman.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....

Xars posted:

If you read my guide on WoS, you can easily grind/AFK camp all the way to and including 82 (North Camp goes green at 83).

Tip: When you're at your computer, grind AA's and spend them frequently. When you have a long AFK, do your levels.

You didn't ruin anything by hitting lvl 65.

I've been posting on this forum since 2000 and must say Xars in the short time you've been a member here you've made some really helpful posts. Thanks for the guide on WOS and ISBOXER. I'd buy you an avatar if I wasn't so broke right now.

I did see where you mentioned you can get all the way there I was just thinking it would be less overwhelming to stay at 65 and grind those out rather than get to 70 and have 1000 more that I need to get. At this point I only have 300 AA and am level 66 but it is awesome because I feel way stronger than I would if I was just grinding to 80-90 with no AA stops in between.

I found the dragorn camp in the north to be pretty good for exp. Since there is about 6-7 mobs that spawn in the nearby area once you clear it out it is a constant stream of roamers and that quick 10 minute respawn time. It is impossible to AFK box but is really nice for when you are actually playing. By far the best room is the one with the 3 mobs in it near noble's causeway since you don't risk roamers coming and wrecking your day.

At what level can a ranger start to headshot to get better exp than this, or is this really as good as it will be getting?

d3k0y
May 30, 2013
Where is this WoS guide? I just recently got up to 61 with my SK (CircleStrafe bless bored guide swarmers) and I need a good place to check out. Also I guess I should start dual boxing at some point, I think I may go with a shaman instead of a bard just because I have a bard already, but sadly on the SK account.

Xars
Jul 7, 2013

Meowbot posted:

I've been posting on this forum since 2000 and must say Xars in the short time you've been a member here you've made some really helpful posts. Thanks for the guide on WOS and ISBOXER. I'd buy you an avatar if I wasn't so broke right now.

I did see where you mentioned you can get all the way there I was just thinking it would be less overwhelming to stay at 65 and grind those out rather than get to 70 and have 1000 more that I need to get. At this point I only have 300 AA and am level 66 but it is awesome because I feel way stronger than I would if I was just grinding to 80-90 with no AA stops in between.

I found the dragorn camp in the north to be pretty good for exp. Since there is about 6-7 mobs that spawn in the nearby area once you clear it out it is a constant stream of roamers and that quick 10 minute respawn time. It is impossible to AFK box but is really nice for when you are actually playing. By far the best room is the one with the 3 mobs in it near noble's causeway since you don't risk roamers coming and wrecking your day.

At what level can a ranger start to headshot to get better exp than this, or is this really as good as it will be getting?

If you look at this image (http://www.eqforever.com/index.php/gallery/image/19-wos-afk-north-camp/), you'll see where you can stand and AFK box for the North Camp. Though to AFK the North Camp, you need to be lvl 72 or even higher to handle it safely, primarily because your toons can get smacked hard before the Tank merc taunts the mobs off. Depending on the timing of the spawn cycle, your Tank merc might be heading to the hallway area killing the previous mob and a new pop wipes out your toons before he comes back to take agro. If you hug the wall opposite the hallway, the mobs shouldn't run so far that you agro anything else or draw the Tank merc too far from your toons.

quote:

On an AFK basis or active basis? I've never had a high level ranger so I'm no HS expert.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Headshot basically is mediocre XP until you hit the levels you can do C1/C2 in Plane of Fire. Milk that until you get bored of it, then in my opinion I'd just level normally until you hit the level you can do old blackburrow at...89? You can do lost gnomes in DoDH/Dragonscale hills but I found that to be a bigger pain in the rear end than it was worth. 90 is where HS REALLY starts to open up and be Stupid XP. Old Commonlands is 100% headshot territory then, and at 95 you can do Dream Feerott, Cooling Chambers, all of the old Iksar places in SoD and Tosk/Kora Warrens.

My ranger will probably never level past 95 simply because of the options for power leveling. Use the druid/bard combo until 75ish AEDS power leveling then group with the ranger to go headshot annihilation mode. But level slowly first and TAKE YOUR GODDAMN TIME unless you plan on raiding. You will probably get bored fairly fast unless you're raiding.

Stanos fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Aug 7, 2013

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor

Xars posted:

Please don't ever do LDoNs for exp. Please.

For the warrior, are you going to use mercs during the leveling process or just the 2nd toon? If yes to mercs, bard is fine. If no mercs, the go shaman.

Okay, you convinced me to stay away from LDON :v:

I believed once into the 60s and the tank merc stops being a mob blender I'd run WarTank + shaman/bard + Wizmerc (if my dps is the pits) + healer depending on whether I went shaman or not or I proved to be shite at using a shaman healer through ISBoxer/until I had geared/aa'd enough.

Going to do the Hero's Journey as I've not done that before.

I have a bunch of stuff to get rid of on FV so I think I'll spring for a months sub to be able to Baz it away.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Is Old Blackburrow a revamped zone? I went to BB the other day and it was the same low level zone as always.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

RCarr posted:

Is Old Blackburrow a revamped zone? I went to BB the other day and it was the same low level zone as always.

Old black burrow is a zone from the same expansion that the void is in

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Fazana posted:

Okay, you convinced me to stay away from LDON :v:

FWIW, I had never done LDONs before, and I found them a lot of fun. Not for exp, no, but it was cool having some narrow crawly dungeons to play in again (obviously with my merc and when they were all light blue).

Just saying that in case you've never seen the content - I think they're worth seeing. And getting the dodge aug for most classes.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

RCarr posted:

When someone said 'Old' BB or old commonlands, they're talking about Seeds of Destruction. It was basically a time travel expansion where the world is hosed up and you help Zeb fix it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

xZAOx posted:

FWIW, I had never done LDONs before, and I found them a lot of fun. Not for exp, no, but it was cool having some narrow crawly dungeons to play in again (obviously with my merc and when they were all light blue).

Just saying that in case you've never seen the content - I think they're worth seeing. And getting the dodge aug for most classes.

LDONs were the beginning of the end for Rallos Zek...people could make whatever gear they wanted no drop, so there was no danger in a PK'er attacking you and looting it.

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor

xZAOx posted:

I did them a ton around when they were current content and a while afterwards. The one in Ro especially was popular for groups, can't remember why. A spell or aug that you could only get from that merchant probably! I've never done any of the raids though. I just had a vague memory of them being reasonable xp back in the day and even recall levelling one time pretty much 20-60 or so entirely on LDONs as we were rushing to get raid level.

I believe for a long time they didn't scale past 80 or so but they fixed that in the last 12 months?

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
LDoN was amazing back when it was new. Easy to get groups, good exp, and decent loot. Plus you didn't have to compete for a camp. Compared to the overcamped dungeons where you were lucky to even see anything alive, it was a breath of fresh air. It has been made obsolete by newer content and the easier low level game though. There's just the dodge skill aug, specialization augs, and a few random epic 1.5 and click effect items left in it for a modern player though.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Fazana posted:

I did them a ton around when they were current content and a while afterwards. The one in Ro especially was popular for groups, can't remember why. A spell or aug that you could only get from that merchant probably! I've never done any of the raids though. I just had a vague memory of them being reasonable xp back in the day and even recall levelling one time pretty much 20-60 or so entirely on LDONs as we were rushing to get raid level.

I believe for a long time they didn't scale past 80 or so but they fixed that in the last 12 months?

For a while you had to get your group avg down to something that the LDONs could scale to. Now you can go with a L100 avg and it just treats it as the highest avg it knows how to make.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I liked the idea of Ldons back in the day, but man they were terrible exp in my, uh, experience. Plane of Earth/Fire were so, so much better. Of course, you had to be flagged back then.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
Please God listen to me and Stanos and don't rush levels unless you're doing it to raid. You WILL get bored as gently caress and quit the game, so you might as well have fun on the journey.

As for raiding, Test is no longer the free entry it once was. My guild's pretty teeming with activity at this point (with more goons than me!) and raid spots are no longer guaranteed unless you're one of us old timers who've been in the guild since we were limping through Argath or a healer. If you want to raid at this point, you're WAY better off rolling on Live where there are still guilds looking for active members. That said, I can't imagine still playing this game and not raiding. They're extremely fun and fast these days, nothing like the 8 hour Fear clears you might remember. Aside from NToV, there isn't even trash anymore. You just zone into the raid instance and start the boss fight.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Took my new necro down to lower guk as I remembered from years ago it being a good place for undead.

Zoned in, You have been hit for 1500 x 10 times, LOADING PLEASE WAIT.

Guess its no longer level 35 mobs !

I must remember to check for zone revamps in future.

si
Apr 26, 2004

Baconroll posted:

Took my new necro down to lower guk as I remembered from years ago it being a good place for undead.

Zoned in, You have been hit for 1500 x 10 times, LOADING PLEASE WAIT.

Guess its no longer level 35 mobs !

I must remember to check for zone revamps in future.

http://everquest.fanra.info/wiki/Hardcore_Heritage

You ran into the same thing I did with Permafrost checking out Vox. It's a temporary thing, and I agree - very unpleasant to run into!

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010
Been waiting for LGuk to end for what feels like forever in order to get my Enchanter it's 1.0 but it's almost past the point of caring except maybe as a stick to buff lowbies with.

Creative Bicycle
Apr 19, 2001

I have a hole!

WetSpink posted:

Been waiting for LGuk to end for what feels like forever in order to get my Enchanter it's 1.0 but it's almost past the point of caring except maybe as a stick to buff lowbies with.

Get it because it's badass looking and you can do the ornament quest for it to make all the dumb generic weapons at 80+ look like something cool instead.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

Doing the entire Breakdown in Communication chain with my shaman so I can learn how to play him even though I'm PLing him. It's so much fun but I have no idea how anybody did all of this bullshit when it was real. My server first guild had a guy doing it who was always complaining and at the time I really just wanted to scream at him to shut the gently caress up but now I completely understand it.

I'm only on step #3 (Riwwi), does anyone have any good advice for the future ones? Just general things, doesn't matter how far ahead it is.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
It's disappointing how the community is on Test sometimes. So often there's a group with a merc they don't need and if you ask to join they don't even respond. 75% of the people I try to talk to who are moving and not AFK never respond.

Zombones
Oct 17, 2004

hayden. posted:

It's disappointing how the community is on Test sometimes. So often there's a group with a merc they don't need and if you ask to join they don't even respond. 75% of the people I try to talk to who are moving and not AFK never respond.

They're probably using MQ2. My group runs botted while I'm AFK for like days at a time.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I'm thinking about jumping into this game for some reason. Haven't touched it since Luclin was released, although I did dabble in some P1999. The classes I'm most interested in are SK and Shaman. Which of the two has the edge in neat utility spells, like SoW and Feign Death? If my main goal for now is to just stomp around exploring the older zones, which of them would be a better choice? Is gear going to be a big issue if I choose SK, assuming I play on the test server?

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
SK is the single most AA/gear reliant class in the game, so yes. If you play past level 85, you'll have to camp a set of AC augs and need 2-3x more AA than any other class at a given level.

That said, a well built SK is a walking God in group content like nobody else, so it's really just up to you how much time you feel like devoting. Plain and simple, no other class can do what we can do in group content.

Shaman is basically the opposite. This is just my opinion (which most don't agree with) but I have a high level one and feel they're boring as loving hell and not really worth having in a group at all outside of the buffs you can grab from one in the lobby. Their DPS is abysmal, cleric mercs heal as well as they do, and the lion line is EXTREMELY overrated. That said, they're pretty gear independent and you can be 80% decent with really low AA count.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Vargs posted:

I'm thinking about jumping into this game for some reason. Haven't touched it since Luclin was released, although I did dabble in some P1999. The classes I'm most interested in are SK and Shaman. Which of the two has the edge in neat utility spells, like SoW and Feign Death? If my main goal for now is to just stomp around exploring the older zones, which of them would be a better choice? Is gear going to be a big issue if I choose SK, assuming I play on the test server?
I would choose a class with early FD, such as Bard, Monk, Necro or SK. When I first started out, and still, being able to shrug off hoardes of enemies with FD was simply the best, as it allows you to explore dungeons and zones like nothing else. Shaman isn't really that amazing alone.... but look into dual boxing and it will be the PERFECT pair with an SK.

Also, perhaps I'm exploding with my hardon for boxing here, but if you add a Wizard for teleports, you'll be able to explore like nobody's business.

Have fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

Anyone who boxes a shaman able to tell me if there are any spells from 91-95 that don't get a continued version at 96-100? Cantrips are ungodly expensive on FV for some reason, 60-70k each and really don't want to bother if there's no unique spells. Except maybe going back and getting some dots for DPS rotation.