Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Not much out there is paying more than 2% though. 5 year CD's are paying 1.5 to 1.8 right now...anything shorter than that is closer to 1%. A decision like that for me would be a tossup depending on monthly cash flow. If household cash flow could easily absorb that payment, sure might make sense to ladder some CD's, hold that cash back in case of emergency when borrowing someone's money for basically free. On the flip side there is peace of mind not having to make that monthly car payment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Leperflesh posted:

The one caveat to that is that you need to put enough down that you are never upside-down on the car, or you'll have to pay for gap insurance to cover the difference and the cost of the gap insurance is likely to exceed the additional interest you're earning with your investment.

Anyway I just want to add to this:

Here's the scenario. You go into the dealer and tell him you're interested in <%car>, which has a sticker of $19,999. The sales guy says "will you be financing this today? I can get you a killer deal!" and you say :smug: no, I'll be paying in cash.

Here is what the sales guy instantly thinks:
1. These guys have the kind of finances that they can save up $20,000 in cash, on top of their emergency savings etc., which they are willing to pay for a car.
THEREFORE
2. These guys have great credit, AND
3. These guys have positive cashflow in their monthly budget, or they'd never have been able to save up that money
THEREFORE
4. I can upsell them. I will get them into a $32k car; something more luxurious or sexier version of <%car>. I will get them to sit in it "just for fun" and then I will casually mention that they could just put $15k down and they'd be able to take this car home today with easy payments of just $250 a month. I will woo them with a seemingly-low 3% financing deal and the fact that they'll get to hang on to $5k of their cash on top of that.

The sales guy will get a tidy bonus from his sales manager for selling a more expensive car, AND financing it so the dealership gets a nice cut from the financing arm from that loan. And the customers may actually go home happy, too: they get a sweet luxurious car. They may or may not ever figure out that not only did they spend way more money than they budgeted, but they also probably overpaid on the $32k car because they wound up negotiating based on monthly payment size instead of out-the-door final price. Plus their insurance is much higher because the more expensive car costs more to insure. That $250 payment actually turned out to be $271 because of various tacked-on fees and taxes and stuff, and it's a 72-month loan. They can easily afford it and don't sit down to calculate out exactly how much they wound up paying in the long run for this car.

Of course, you might well foil the sale's guy's clever plan, if you stick to your guns and your budget, but you should at least be aware that this is what he's probably thinking when you proudly inform him of your all-cash payment option.

edits to make the math add up, derp

:stare: Or maybe they'll just buy a $32k car because that's what they like and people are allowed to spend their own money buying poo poo they like. Jesus Christ. Do you think every car that costs more than a bare bones Kia is some kind of elaborate Gordon Gecko fraud?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Throatwarbler posted:

:stare: Or maybe they'll just buy a $32k car because that's what they like and people are allowed to spend their own money buying poo poo they like. Jesus Christ. Do you think every car that costs more than a bare bones Kia is some kind of elaborate Gordon Gecko fraud?

hes saying that you intended to spend 20k and walked out spending 32k+. Its just example numbers:

Your dotcom does well in its IPO so you walk in intending to buy the 200k bentley for cash but you walked out making payments on the 320k McLaren.

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.
Is there really a "best" time of year, or time of month, to buy a car or is that a myth? Like the "we have to sell all the 2013s right now to make room for the 2014s so we are just giving these cars away" thing.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

FrankeeFrankFrank posted:

Is there really a "best" time of year, or time of month, to buy a car or is that a myth? Like the "we have to sell all the 2013s right now to make room for the 2014s so we are just giving these cars away" thing.

Yes and No. The main difference is going to be the incentives offered by the manufacturer. End of model year can be a good time to pick up a car from a manufacturer that doesn't normally have to offer incentives. Honda and Toyota are good examples, their cars sell themselves so they rarely have to do incentive sales during a normal model year, but for their end of model year sales they might throw out a 1000 dollar rebate or a promo APR through their captive finance company or even both.

Generally in most major markets you shouldn't have an issue negotiating close to invoice on a new car, but if you can stack a factory rebate on top of that you can get a pretty good deal. When I bought my Fusion I did something like that. Invoice + 2K in rebates and I ended up paying 5K off MSRP for my car and I snagged 1.9% from Ford Credit.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

skipdogg posted:

Not much out there is paying more than 2% though. 5 year CD's are paying 1.5 to 1.8 right now...anything shorter than that is closer to 1%.

And you have to pay taxes on that interest.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

The one caveat to that is that you need to put enough down that you are never upside-down on the car, or you'll have to pay for gap insurance to cover the difference and the cost of the gap insurance is likely to exceed the additional interest you're earning with your investment.

Anyway I just want to add to this:

Here's the scenario. You go into the dealer and tell him you're interested in <%car>, which has a sticker of $19,999. The sales guy says "will you be financing this today? I can get you a killer deal!" and you say :smug: no, I'll be paying in cash.

Here is what the sales guy instantly thinks:
So what's the other side? If the customer tells the salesman he wants the deal, does the salesman cut $3000 off the sales price? It's easy to say "no".

Customer: "I want to buy car X, in this trim, in this color. Do you have it in stock, and if so, how much?"
Saleseman: "No, but I have it in a different color. Have you considered this luxery model?"
Customer: "No, I'm here to buy car X, in this trim, in this color."

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Aug 6, 2013

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch

skipdogg posted:

Not much out there is paying more than 2% though. 5 year CD's are paying 1.5 to 1.8 right now...anything shorter than that is closer to 1%. A decision like that for me would be a tossup depending on monthly cash flow. If household cash flow could easily absorb that payment, sure might make sense to ladder some CD's, hold that cash back in case of emergency when borrowing someone's money for basically free. On the flip side there is peace of mind not having to make that monthly car payment.

All sorts of ETFs and preferred shares pay regular dividends in the 4 to 5 %. Yes the capital is "at risk" but they do pay you to own them.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
I'm looking for advice/input on a toy/alternate driver. I ride my motorcycle to work pretty much every day and I'm totally fine with that. I want something that I can take when I'm running late, don't really feel good or take in the rain. That may sound like it contradicts what I'm about to say. I would like for it to be something fairly sporty that I can tinker with and do upgrades to(no fart cans or spinning rims, but upgrading suspension or possibly an engine swap/forced induction). I don't want to spend to much because I'm dumping money into my wife's Thunderbird. I'm thinking around $2500-3500 for a decent running car I don't care about exterior or interior cosmetics. Right now I've been considering an MR2 or maybe a Miata.

What other cars should I consider?

New Weave Wendy
Mar 11, 2007
Just wanted to say thanks everyone for the advice and tips. This is a great thread, thank you!

I Am Not Spor
Dec 13, 2006
all the better to glomp you with

skipdogg posted:

What CD's? The highest ours go are 0.1% and that's depositing $100,000. Wells Fargo's go as high as 0.5%; that's with their "Special CD Rates". And Bank of America's goes up to 0.4%.

Move your decimal point over one place dawg.

Content: Any huge reasons I shouldn't buy a Porsche 944/928?

I Am Not Spor fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Aug 6, 2013

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Ahhh. I bank with credit unions. My wife put some of my kids money in a promo 15 month cd she has at her job @ 1.09%APR, and a 5 year with them is paying 1.59 right now. The CU we actually bank with is paying 1.62%APR on a 5 year. Bankrate shows a couple other banks paying a little higher than that. It's not much but it's better than .1% sitting in a savings account.

I Am Not Spor
Dec 13, 2006
Fuckin' credit unions. Hippie poo poo man. Hippie poo poo. I never understand why people tie their money up for 5 years in bank's CD's; 0.1% is better than nothing, but it's so little money.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Xguard86 posted:

hes saying that you intended to spend 20k and walked out spending 32k+. Its just example numbers

Exactly this, right. Used car salesmen are infamous for a reason. They are very good at convincing people to spend way more than they intended to, going in. I was addressing the erroneous belief a lot of people seem to have, that an all-cash offer is the way to get a great deal on a car, as opposed to the reality that not only does it not get a great deal, it provides a salesman with strong evidence that you can afford more, and therefore makes him push harder for the upsell.

Dominoes posted:

So what's the other side? If the customer tells the salesman he wants the deal, does the salesman cut $3000 off the sales price? It's easy to say "no".

Customer: "I want to buy car X, in this trim, in this color. Do you have it in stock, and if so, how much?"
Saleseman: "No, but I have it in a different color. Have you considered this luxery model?"
Customer: "No, I'm here to buy car X, in this trim, in this color."

If it were easy to say "no", people wouldn't routinely overpay for things all the time. I've met lots of people who have a hard time saying "no." Especially when what is being offered is tempting, and the person doing the offering is a professional at obscuring how much you're actually going to pay for it.

Also: lots of people go car shopping without having previously settled on a specific car X in a specific trim and color which they're certain they want and nothing else is of interest. In fact I'd guess the large majority go shopping with a list of possibilities, and an openness to considering other options they might not have thought about.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Goddamn am I really tired of keeping up with maintenance and driving my 03 TT. poo poo is slow and heavy, suspension and body roll just suck the life out of everything except placid highway cruising. It's starting to just fall apart not really from use but from existing for 11 years. I'm starting the process of looking for a new ride.

Proposed Budget: $25k

New or Used: No preference. Used I could go back 3 years and this would expand my options, as I understand it.

Body Style:) 2 door 2-seater or coupe, or possibly hot-hatch. Sporty and irresponsible. Not a convertible this time.

How will you be using the car?: Weekender trips and occasional daily-driver. I work from home so commuting isn't a big deal. The waifu and I like to get out of town on weekends because central South Carolina is a terrible place.

Do you prefer a luxury vehicle?: Not particularly in that I don't care about gizmos, but I'd like an interior that is actually well-built. A lot of the smaller cars I've driven tend to feel plasticky and ramshackle inside. Don't need a navigation system or satellite radio or seat heaters or whatever.

What aspects are most important to you?: Fun to drive (manual a must) and reliability. I'd prefer to steer clear of muscle cars (I've seen the Mustang/Challenger pop up as a routine recommendation in this thread). I know enough about how cars work, but have never wrenched on my own and do not have the means to do so right now.

I've gleaned a few good options from previous posters in my boat:

Infiniti G35/37 and Nissan 370z
Mazda RX-8
New FR-S/BR-Z
Ford Focus ST
Mazdaspeed 3

Anything I'm missing on a test-drive list?

Regarding trade-ins, is it worth the extra bux to put currently outstanding maintenance items into my current car? I'm guessing that will be factored into its trade-in value, but would it be a dollar-for-dollar type of transaction? I guess for example, my timing belt is due for a 5-year replacement come like October. Would it be better to have someone do it, or just hold off and let whatever dealer I trade to do it?

Thanks y'all, just reading through this thread has been a big help.

Gunshow Poophole fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Aug 6, 2013

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Stew Man Chew posted:

Anything I'm missing on a test-drive list?

Volvo C30 and BMW 128i coupe(135i is probably more than you want to spend) comes to mind immediately. Also Fiesta ST and FIAT 500 Abarth depending on how small you want to go.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Throatwarbler posted:

Volvo C30 and BMW 128i coupe(135i is probably more than you want to spend) comes to mind immediately. Also Fiesta ST and FIAT 500 Abarth depending on how small you want to go.

Test drove the C30 back when and wasn't particularly impressed, but I'll take another look.

I'd forgotten the 1-series but I'll put it on my list, the 128 with a V6 sounds like a good trip. The Abarth is too small. Fiesta might just make it, I wasn't aware it was available in that trim, but it... kinda looks funny :(

Thanks!

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Stew Man Chew posted:

Test drove the C30 back when and wasn't particularly impressed, but I'll take another look.

I'd forgotten the 1-series but I'll put it on my list, the 128 with a V6 sounds like a good trip. The Abarth is too small. Fiesta might just make it, I wasn't aware it was available in that trim, but it... kinda looks funny :(

Thanks!

Have you checked out any of the turbo Minis? Those are fun cars and with some basic mods ride like a big go-kart.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

If it were easy to say "no", people wouldn't routinely overpay for things all the time. I've met lots of people who have a hard time saying "no." Especially when what is being offered is tempting, and the person doing the offering is a professional at obscuring how much you're actually going to pay for it.

Also: lots of people go car shopping without having previously settled on a specific car X in a specific trim and color which they're certain they want and nothing else is of interest. In fact I'd guess the large majority go shopping with a list of possibilities, and an openness to considering other options they might not have thought about.
My post was in response to your advice to hide the intention to pay cash. You implied mentioning paying cash could cause a salesman not to give a discount. Why is this, and how would it play out when hiding the cash intention?

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Aug 7, 2013

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Dominoes posted:

My post was in response to your advice to hide the intention to pay cash. You implied mentioning paying cash could cause a salesman not to give a discount. Why is this, and how would it play out when hiding the cash intention?

A lot of car salesmen will just quote a price and not detail out "XXX comes due to this incentive, YYY comes from this incentive", even though they're using that money behind the scenes to get the deal done. If some of that money would normally come as a kickback from financing and you tell them you have no interest in their financing, there goes the incentive money from it.

Stew Man Chew posted:

Regarding trade-ins, is it worth the extra bux to put currently outstanding maintenance items into my current car? I'm guessing that will be factored into its trade-in value, but would it be a dollar-for-dollar type of transaction? I guess for example, my timing belt is due for a 5-year replacement come like October. Would it be better to have someone do it, or just hold off and let whatever dealer I trade to do it?

Leave it for the dealer. When I traded in my MS3 they didn't even look or ask for any maintenance records.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

Have you checked out any of the turbo Minis? Those are fun cars and with some basic mods ride like a big go-kart.

I have not, should I? Just seemed too gimmicky for me, and a backseat/trunk that would pretty much be a waste for my purposes.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Leave it for the dealer. When I traded in my MS3 they didn't even look or ask for any maintenance records.

Wonderful, thank you.

When I test drive the MS3 I might send you a PM and ask for your take on that car as well if you don't mind :)

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Stew Man Chew posted:

I have not, should I? Just seemed too gimmicky for me, and a backseat/trunk that would pretty much be a waste for my purposes.

Yes. They're among the best driving FWD cars out there.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Dominoes posted:

Basically, cash is the least-attractive payment option for a dealer. That gives them the lowest incentive to try to win your business. Moreover, many new cars come with factory incentives that are different depending on whether you finance or not; the incentive for financing goes to both the dealer and, often, to the buyer (cash back or a promotional rate or both).

My point, then, isn't that you will definitely pay more if you pay in cash; only that the common belief that offering cash means getting a better deal from a dealer is incorrect.

I think this perception comes from the fact that most retailers prefer cash over a credit or debit card, because merchants have to pay transaction fees for every credit card purchase. Those fees are of course built into the price you pay for things at the register, as a cost of doing business; but every cash sale means the built-in premium the merchant has added to his wholesale prices as part of his markup gets to go into his pocket instead of the payment processor.

So people get the idea that cash is always the most attractive option to a retailer, and apply that, erroneously, to car purchases.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

I Am Not Spor posted:

Content: Any huge reasons I shouldn't buy a Porsche 944/928?
944 - go for it. Get on Motronic's good side.
928 - it's expensive if something goes wrong, which happens what you expect for 20+ year old luxury grand tourer.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Everyone knows a wheelbarrow full of precious metals and gems is the best way to buy a car.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Rhyno posted:

Everyone knows a wheelbarrow full of precious metals and gems is the best way to buy a car.

Car buying guide. Its a little dated but still has some solid advice:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8g__x6ExM8

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Proposed Budget: $6-7000
New or Used: Used
Body Style: Four door sedan, but not particularly picky on two doors.
How will you be using the car?: Driving to work 25-30 miles, store trips, nothing too crazy.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? Nope, as long as the AC/Heat and stereo work I'm good to go.
What aspects are most important to you? It actually loving working, good gas mileage, not an utter eyesore.

I'll put it bluntly: My dad is not the best at buying cars. He's helped all of my siblings out with purchases, and it seems he always 'has a guy' who's selling a car and there are details left out about it. I had a '94 lumina before I liked that was owned by an older lady giving up driving. No complaints about it, good car and did what I needed it to do. The last car we bought though, holy poo poo. '01 Taurus and it has been nothing but a goddamn nightmare since we picked it up. Should've backed up when it was being sold by a 'retired' used car dealer but it seemed like a good deal at the time. Never mind we've dumped the cost of the car into getting it to work. Lately it's been having problems turning over (again) and I'm tired of dealing with it. Hoping to get it sold in two weeks and finding something that can just do simple things like run for more than three weeks without having battery or ignition problems.

I Am Not Spor
Dec 13, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

944 - go for it. Get on Motronic's good side.

Exactly the stuff I wanted to hear. My short list is useful cars for the poo poo I do: A6 wagon, A4 wagon, Jetta wagon, Passat wagon, and then I'm looking at a 944 and my neighbors MGB GT, which may not even work.

:rice:

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Got an update from the Adventurists saying that the 2014 Mongol Rally will have a lower entry fee, and the age restriction will be removed from all cars. In 2012 I got as far as Astrakhan in a cruddy Renault Clio-- never again will I be in one of those things. The Rally's supposed to be a sort of prize-free road trip from Britain to Mongolia, and there's no set route. The only limits are on the cars, and in 2014 I think the engine limit will still be 1.2L. From the previous experience with the Renault (never again), the importance of repairability really stuck with me.

What would be the most easily-repairable car that one could buy used in Western Europe or America, but could be likely fixed by a mechanic in Kazakhstan, while still within a 1.2L engine limit?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
A Lada of some sort? Look, I found a perfect specimen for you:

1198 cm³ of fury and pretty agricultural, so should be fixable in Kazakhstan, very nice!
http://www.autoscout24.de/Details.aspx?id=234810403&asrc=st

Otherwise a Yaris maybe, or a probably less reliable but more fixable (and popular in the region) Chevy/Daewoo Matiz. Sadly it looks like the smallest Suzuki Samurai was 1.3 as far as I can tell. May I suggest cheating or an engine swap?

If you don't mind my asking, how much does something like this cost on top of the car purchasing price/entry fees? I already have a vacation taken care of for this year, but 2014 could be possible, and it sounds really fun.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Aug 8, 2013

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

mobby_6kl posted:

A Lada of some sort? Look, I found a perfect specimen for you:

1198 cm³ of fury and pretty agricultural, so should be fixable in Kazakhstan, very nice!
http://www.autoscout24.de/Details.aspx?id=234810403&asrc=st

Otherwise a Yaris maybe, or a probably less reliable but more fixable (and popular in the region) Chevy/Daewoo Matiz. Sadly it looks like the smallest Suzuki Samurai was 1.3 as far as I can tell. May I suggest cheating or an engine swap?
A used Matiz or Yaris would do the trick. I think it was either the Yaris or a Suzuki Something that was the most highly-praised in 2012, when the limitations were a 1.2L-or-smaller engine and being less than 10 years old.

quote:

If you don't mind my asking, how much does something like this cost on top of the car purchasing price/entry fees? I already have a vacation taken care of for this year, but 2014 could be possible, and it sounds really fun.
One of the bigger costs on top of entry fees and car costs was the price of flights to the starting point and back from whereever. I'm in the Detroit area, but I ended up going to Newark so I could take a flight from there to London for $475, and then from Astrakhan I ended up taking a train up to Moscow for ~$130, and then I think it was $900 for a flight from there back to Detroit. If I'd gotten to Ulan Batar, I think I could've managed getting back to Detroit for around $1200 if I'd switched carriers a few times-- it would've been roughly $1000 to take the cheapest flight from UB to Beijing and thence to San Francisco or LA, and then around $200 for a bargain-rate flight from there back to Detroit.

Visa application fees were in the hundreds of dollars, as well. The route our team was taking was, from a British starting point, east to the Czech Republic, a little detour in the Tirolian Alps, then down through the Balkans, up into Russia through the Caucasus, cutting through Kazakhstan and briefly re-entering Russia in the Altai Republic before entering Mongolia. For that route, as an American, I had to apply for Russian and Kazakhstan visas months in advance, and had to pay somewhere around $300 for application fees and for going through a visa ordering service (Visa HQ, in my case). Everybody also had to buy a $20 little sticker at the Turkish border, which I guess counts as a sort of visa?

Inoculations and immunizations were also important to get-- I don't have the paperwork and cannot recall every shot I got, but I think the bill ended up being something like $250 for everything, all told. Didn't get malaria pills, we never planned to go into regions where that was a serious issue.

Lodging costs seriously varied for everyone. I traveled with a couple who weren't big fans of camping, so we tended to stay in hostels and hotels more than we ever roughed it out in the countryside. Beds at a cheap hostel could vary from anywhere between $10 and $30 a night in my experience, depending on where exactly you are.

I ended up bailing out in Astrakhan because my money was running out a lot sooner than I had planned-- the Renault's throttle position sensor had died on us during the Alpine detour (the team captain saw Top Gear and wanted to drive through the Stelvio Pass in our overloaded Clio), so we ended up spending extra days in one of the most touristy and expensive parts of Europe, having to repair a costly electronic bit in our car. A mechanic in Bolzano eventually just swapped out the sensor with the sensor from another Clio that was in the shop for something else.

e: Plus every team had to raise at least £1000 for charity. That bit isn't too hard if you just talk to friends and get a piece or two in the local paper.

Ofaloaf fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Aug 8, 2013

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jun 23, 2019

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
A friend of mine is replacing a POS college car with a brand new economy car. We've worked out the purchasing details, but I have no clue how to get the most money out of a 150K mile Hyundai Accent with a hosed transmission. Quotes from mechanics are in the $2500 range to replace the hosed transmission and it's not worth that, so it's getting replaced.

Is the best place to sell a car that moves under its own power, but can't go into Reverse, 2nd, or 4th gear on Craigslist, to a mechanic, or trading it into the dealer as we can manage to limp it in there? One of the mechanics who quoted him $2600 to replace the tranny with a used one offered him $200 for the car, less than a junkyard would pay.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Extra posted:

Proposed Budget: Least amount of money physically possible.
New or Used: Used
Body Style: Don't care.
How will you be using the car?: To get me to and from places, that's it.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?) Less poo poo to break the better.
What aspects are most important to you? Cost of ownership, least chance of dying if some idiot runs a red light

So far I'm looking at Prizms and Paseos. Civics and Subarus are beat to poo poo/modified/both in dumb ways here. Paseos seem to be cheaper ($2000ish for a clean one with 100k), get better mpg, and the '96-97 models come with some updated safety features so that's attractive. Parts seem plentiful but that's just from browsing fleabay. I'm not shy about doing any work myself that can be completed without expensive equipment. Insurance cost is a major factor as it's mandatory. Thanks AI.

So far budget is looking something like $1500-2000 for the vehicle, $1000 in major repair funds:rice: , and like $2000 annually in insurance.

vvv At least in the mean-time while you're figuring it out what to do with it, throw it up on CL for $700. That mechanic's lowball was pretty funny though. vvv

Wait your cost to insure a $2k car for a year is $2k? Do you have a laundry list of accidents or tickets? I pay less than $1k a year for my Infiniti EX35 for comprehensive with high property values. Granted I've never had a driving infraction in my 12 years of driving.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Extra posted:

vvv At least in the mean-time while you're figuring it out what to do with it, throw it up on CL for $700. That mechanic's lowball was pretty funny though. vvv

Thanks, I guess we'll toss it up on CL and see who bites. Because it drives and a new Hyundai is among the possible options, maybe we dump it on some dealer to get loyalty bonus? Haha.

Did a quick used car check to see if used could make more sense than new, and we found a 2007 Fit Sport with 78K miles for $6500. That feels suspicious and too good to be true, if the carfax is clean just jump on that poo poo? Pictures are complete online and the dude didn't sound shady on the phone.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Stew Man Chew posted:

When I test drive the MS3 I might send you a PM and ask for your take on that car as well if you don't mind :)

It's a mental little car and a loving riot because of it. It's the first car I've ever gotten rid of where even with the overwhelming stack of reasons in the "get rid of" category, I still wish it would've made sense to keep it.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
For under $2000, you're looking at individual condition rather than car model. You can't go into sub-$2000 cars and say "I want an X." You can have an idea, but be really for anything that fits, is in good condition, and isn't a Maserati bi-turbo.

Paseos do kind of suck for that era-Toyoa, but you're shopping $2000 cars. That said, I haven't seen you mention domestics once. A used final gen escort is probably going to be a good one to look at.
Do you live in the rust-belt?

Hotbod Handsomeface
Dec 28, 2009
Look at the first gen ford focus. The newer, safer thing might be less on insurance and you can get a good one for $3000. I routinely saw them for prices that I would talk down to 2k on craigslist in southern California. If you are looking at a car that cheap I am assuming that you expect them to need work.
ex:
http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/3956628322.html
http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/3988736918.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747