Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I think growing up around The Beatles made me this guy:

Allen Wren posted:

The worst is when you have That Guy who only listens to something obscure and/or off-putting, mostly because it makes him feel superior to those around him with lesser taste (I knew a dude like that once; he was obsessed with Gong and Gerry Rafferty and thought Van Der Graaf Generator's "Killer" was deep and meaningful. Prick.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

In more unifying news, my copy of Dumb Numbers came in today...

...supposedly.

The note in my mailbox says two packages arrived.
The checklist in the office says they got two packages.
And yet, there was only one package in the office.
Which was not a record.
I am perturbed.

On top of that, the woman in the office somewhat suspects they may have just handed it over to some other guy who comes into the office ordering 5-6 records a week, assuming it was his. Though they say they don't think they saw him today.

I asked them to continue looking for it. If it really did get handed off to some other person, I am going to flip my poo poo.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

I can't stand Springsteen because I just don't like his music. Same with Billy Joel and countless others. There's no accounting for taste, I suppose.

This was the thing I was going to say.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Music in general just ticks me right off.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The difference between Bruce Springsteen and Billy Joel is Bruce Springsteen made three all-time classic rock records whereas Billy Joel is living poo poo.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Music in general just ticks me right off.

Yeah, I'm not such a fan either.

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

The difference between Bruce Springsteen and Billy Joel is Bruce Springsteen made three all-time classic rock records whereas Billy Joel is living poo poo.

I find them both similar in that they suck.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
This is the biggest waste of space I've ever seen :psyduck:

It's a 9 minute song, why wouldn't you just spread it out?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

david puddy posted:

Just to piss you off.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

CPL593H posted:

I find them both similar in that they suck.

Ooooh- if I didn't have a final tomorrow to study for, I would bring just so much flame....

You all have no idea.

I would teach this thread the meaning of "man, vinyl is dramatic."

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

If it makes you feel better, CPL has really poor taste.

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

I've been insanely busy with work this summer but I have finally had a chance to install the Ortofon 2M Red I ordered a while back. After listening to it for the past few days, I have to say I am very pleased. The first thing I noticed is that it puts out a louder signal than the cartridge which came with my AT-LP 120, which to me is neither a plus nor a minus just an observation. Otherwise, the sound of it is very clear and does not distort where I would get some distortion on a few records. I am not an audio engineer, so all I can really say is that, subjectively, I think the cartridge sounds fantastic and was very worth the $100 I paid for it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Oh, there's never been any doubt of that. But you, sir, have also dissed the Piano Man and that I cannot abide.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Oh, there's never been any doubt of that. But you, sir, have also dissed the Piano Man and that I cannot abide.

gently caress that draft dodgin' drunk drivin' motherfucker.

My dad taught me to hate Billy Joel at an early age. So, I know he's not actually a draft dodger, but still.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Y'all don't know me!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Kevar posted:

gently caress that draft dodgin' drunk drivin' motherfucker.

My dad taught me to hate Billy Joel at an early age. So, I know he's not actually a draft dodger, but still.

Yeah well my dad could beat up your dad so nyaaah!

Jasta posted:

Ortofon 2M Red

Did your LP120 come with the old DJ cart or the 95E?

I'm planning to put a 95E on my current table (the ultimate plan is to move it to the bedroom and put a Debut Carbon- which comes with a 2M Red stock- in its place) but I might just hold out and save up for another 2M if it's that much better.

I share an apartment and can't listen to my records on the big stereo as often as I'd like so both tables are probably gonna get the same amount of use after all is said and done.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Hey.

Love music, love each other~

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

WASDF posted:

Hey.

Is that a GG ALLIN quote?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

WASDF posted:

Hey.

But they said I have bad taste, I'M TELLING ON THEM!

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Ooooh- if I didn't have a final tomorrow to study for, I would bring just so much flame....

You all have no idea.

I would teach this thread the meaning of "man, vinyl is dramatic."

Hey, don't start the fire!

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

david puddy posted:

They probably did that to avoid inner groove distortion, since there may not be a huge benefit to spreading it out.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Hey, do you guys want to see my audiophile pressing of Piano Man? I am not joking. I have an audiophile pressing of Piano Man. It's what I use to try and convince dates to come back to my place. Strangely, they all get lost on the way and say "Oh, I got lost and went home" and never pick up their phones again. It's a strange phenomena.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Does anyone know a good way to determine whether or not a reissue LP was remastered digitally?

AtomicRust
Aug 6, 2013

Morning, Lister! How's life in hippie heaven, you pregnant baboon-bellied space beatnik?
A lot of the ones I've seen have a "Digitally Remastered" sticker on the cover, but I think the safest bet would be to check out the info on the reissue on Discogs.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

AtomicRust posted:

A lot of the ones I've seen have a "Digitally Remastered" sticker on the cover, but I think the safest bet would be to check out the info on the reissue on Discogs.

I did and it didn't say anything about that. For reference it's a European reissue of Bob Dylan's Blood on the Tracks from 2007.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I am with you on this... but WHICH Springsteen?

Personally, I can't stand anything made after The River.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Vintersorg posted:

You don't like Nebraska? Are you CRAZY?

I have every Springsteen album on vinyl in the range of Greetings from Asbury Park through Tunnel of Love.

I bought them from and old guy at garage sale for a buck a piece.

nefarias bredd
May 4, 2013
I'm in the UK (Glasgow) and I'm looking for a portable turntable. Most of the ones I've seen have been "retro" type things that I've heard not-so-good things about. I've seen the Numark ones mentioned at the start of the thread online but they don't seem super-common and I wouldn't mind getting a look at one in a shop or something. I literally don't have a clue about this sort of thing and Google has just confused me more because everyone seems to be measuring against different standards of what's acceptable sound quality! Anyone got any advice? I'd rather buy new because of warranties and so on, but I'd take a decent used deal - all I'm really bothered about is that it'll work and not chew up my records (all three of them!)

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

nefarias bredd posted:

I'm in the UK (Glasgow) and I'm looking for a portable turntable. Most of the ones I've seen have been "retro" type things that I've heard not-so-good things about. I've seen the Numark ones mentioned at the start of the thread online but they don't seem super-common and I wouldn't mind getting a look at one in a shop or something. I literally don't have a clue about this sort of thing and Google has just confused me more because everyone seems to be measuring against different standards of what's acceptable sound quality! Anyone got any advice? I'd rather buy new because of warranties and so on, but I'd take a decent used deal - all I'm really bothered about is that it'll work and not chew up my records (all three of them!)

While I can't comment on the sound quality, I did just have a quick check online and Rubadub do have a Numark portable online, though out of stock. Truthfully I've never checked when I'm in there myself, but you could always pop in or phone and see if they have one in store or they could probably order one in for you. Sound guys who know their stuff too. Just round from St Enochs on Howard St.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

nefarias bredd posted:

Get an Audio Technica Sound Burger.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

sound burger

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
The PT-01s are amazing for auditioning records in the shop. For regular home use, not so much.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I could never be that guy who brings his own record player to a store to test the records. That seems pretty dumb.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
I wouldn't take it into the high street shop, but for those hole in the wall basements that are literally wall to wall piles of records its alright. Plus the good shops usually have their own turntables anyway.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Ron Burgundy posted:

I wouldn't take it into the high street shop, but for those hole in the wall basements that are literally wall to wall piles of records its alright. Plus the good shops usually have their own turntables anyway.

Yeah, that is mostly my reasoning. Maybe take one to a record fair.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Blast Fantasto posted:

I have every Springsteen album on vinyl in the range of Greetings from Asbury Park through Tunnel of Love.

Tunnel of Love is a really good album. I mean, "Brilliant Disguise" is such a brilliant pop song. It's catchy, and yet, it has something underneath. My only complaint about the album is that it suffers from the treble heavy sound that a lot of early digital recordings had.

izationalizer
Jul 2, 2012

I don't know what the hell's in there, but it's weird and pissed off, whatever it is.
I know a guy who literally carries one of these around when record hunting:

He's like King Midas, except whatever he touches turns into Goldmine VG-.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

Born To Run, Darkness On The Edge Of Town and Nebraska.

Not to say that's his only good material, but those are the three biggies.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

izationalizer posted:

He's like King Midas, except whatever he touches turns into Goldmine VG-.

:golfclap:

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008
I posted this in the "Old Electronics" thread in GBS but I think I might get some more advice here, so I am reposting, hope you don't mind:

I was out walking earlier and found this junked-out piece of poo poo record player set. I picked it up and brought it home, but I don't know what it is. It looks kind of like this except it's missing that middle cylinder, and a needle, and it's that brown color all over. The table part spins when turned on, and the arm moves. Also does anybody know what the model of record player would be called? It doesn't have any model number on it as far as I can tell.

Will it survive being roach sprayed? I'm going to roach spray it and the two speakers it came with and then throw it in a bag but right now it's just in the garage. Will roach spray kill any eggs?

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
Can you like... post a picture?

There's probably thousands of tables that would fit that description

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008
Sorry, I posted a picture in the other thread but it didn't get linked. It looks like this, but more beat up: