Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well

Vodos posted:

What the hell, playing Portugal, I accepted England's CtA against France thinking they would ignore me. I even went to war with Morocco at the same time to fulfill my mission. Not only did they send their freaking superking's stack to Portugal, they completely ignored England. England's navy was chasing the southern French navy that kept dropping more troops in Portugal but never actually engaged them for some reason.
Just as I was done with Morocco and slowly beating down the French stack, England peaced out and somehow gave my 2 provinces in Northern Africa back to Morocco, who isn't allied to France or in the war with France, they weren't occupied or anything. I wasn't even notified of the peace deal! Wtf is that?

This just happened to me and I had no idea wtf even happened until I read your post.

I had Casablanca, Tangiers and Ceuta cored and converted to Catholicism. Was no longer at war with Morocco and had an army of 15,000 sitting in Casablanca. Then on Jan 17th all three provinces suddenly flipped over to Morocco with no message or other notification that it had even happened.

I'd completely forgotten that I was part of that useless war between England and France that I did nothing in (France never sent any troops against Portugal in my game). Man.

NuclearWinterUK fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Aug 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

BillBear posted:

As soon as the demo ended I instantly wanted more. :smith:

What year does the demo end in?

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

SickZip posted:

What year does the demo end in?

1520. I'm refusing to play it so my first experience will remain wonderful. :allears:

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

The Belgian posted:

My map in the demo seems to have shadow continents in the ocean?

http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheBelgian/screenshot/921270022785649025

That sounded cooler than it was.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Ofaloaf posted:

It's really worth reading, for anyone at all interested.
By the way, congratulations Johan! I've been playing Paradox titles for a while (not as long as you've existed - since the original EU) and I'm impressed by how you have successfully brought the mainstream to hardcore strategy games, rather than the other way around.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
God dammit Paradox, why do your games default to a some frequency and resolution? And then not let you either tab out or ctrl alt delete out? Trying to run the EU4 demo and the signal's out of range on my monitor because it defaults to not-60Hz or above 1280x1024 instead of just choosing the settings based on whatever Windows uses, and I have to hard restart the whole machine because I can't do anything else. This happened when I first installed CK2, too :(

Thank god it creates settings.txt despite being a demo. Yeah, for some reason it defaults to 170Hz :argh:

Allyn fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Aug 8, 2013

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
If I don't pre-order EUIV, will I have to pay for the ck2 save converter?

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

Torabi posted:

If I don't pre-order EUIV, will I have to pay for the ck2 save converter?

yes.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

Aww, how much will it cost? I doubt I'll survive long enough in CK2 to continue anyway. :v:

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

I may just be dense here but I don't understand how those modifiers amount to that amount of taxes?

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Base tax: 1
Reduced to 0.45 effective tax by your 45% Tax Income Efficiency
How those 45% come about is the indented stuff in the tooltip (those numbers add up to 45%)

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006
All the efficiency modifiers are additive, works out fine: 25-90+75+20+5+10=45. Total efficiency is 45%, multiplied by the base tax of 1.00.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Vodos posted:

I may just be dense here but I don't understand how those modifiers amount to that amount of taxes?

All those modifiers add up to 45% tax efficiency, so with a 1.00 base tax you get .45 per tax interval. Pretty straight forward I think.

e: f;b

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

Oh wow I'm dumb, I assumed you'd start with 100% and then the modifiers are applied.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Vodos posted:

Oh wow I'm dumb, I assumed you'd start with 100% and then the modifiers are applied.

NO paradox is dump, percentage modifiers are not really supposed to be additive but they're doing it anyway.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich
So is there going to be a separate EUIV thread? I think it's time.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

BabyFur Denny posted:

NO paradox is dump, percentage modifiers are not really supposed to be additive but they're doing it anyway.

They're at least consistent about it now, it used to be kinda mixed. And at least when they're additive, you always have a general idea of what it's going to do.

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

Torabi posted:

Aww, how much will it cost? I doubt I'll survive long enough in CK2 to continue anyway. :v:

:10bux:

You can convert any save from CK2, don't have to reach the end date. In their video displaying the converter, they did the norse starting year.

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012

BabyFur Denny posted:

Er, why not, exactly?
It's their totally arbitrary system to make up as they see fit.
Right? :confused:

Littlefinger fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Aug 8, 2013

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Well, finished my first game as the Ottomans, looks good so far. Would prefer a different kind of map though, the current one is like a high-resolution version of Vanilla EU3. Think I'll spend the the next 5 days tinkering with the map before the actual release.

ThePutty posted:

It ain't the bumps, it's the way they light up and look really doughy more than anything else. The bumps in CK2 looked great, dunno why they changed it.
The bumps are part of it, even if it's also worse than CK2.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
The political map mode really does look bad in comparison to the one in CK2. Is this just another attempt from Paradox to make people use the terrain map mode? :argh:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Venice seems really fun in the long term but I wish there was an easier way to determine exactly how much income you will get for collecting in a trade node vs. pushing the trade towards a node you're already trading in.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

I adore the CK2 political map mode. Don't quite get the step backwards.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Littlefinger posted:

Er, why not, exactly?
It's their totally arbitrary system to make up as they see fit.
Right? :confused:

yeah but you can make up dump arbitrary systems and you can make up good arbitrary systems.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

BabyFur Denny posted:

yeah but you can make up dump arbitrary systems and you can make up good arbitrary systems.

What exactly speaks against stacking percentages? I mean, I guess you could express it in absolute numbers, but I don't think having a +0.05 bonus is really any easier to understand than +5% bonus.

e X fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Aug 8, 2013

Rudi Starnberg
Jul 8, 2012
It might not be 100% obvious in the begining but once you understand the trick to it (add up all the modifiers, apply total modifier as a % to the base) its as quick and easy a system as any. Certainly a big step up on the EU3 system with trade value vs production value.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

The map in general is pretty cluttered. It's nice that army/navy icons are so big and legible, but they're so big that they overlap everywhere and it can be hard to grok troop distribution at a glance.

RabidWeasel posted:

Venice seems really fun in the long term but I wish there was an easier way to determine exactly how much income you will get for collecting in a trade node vs. pushing the trade towards a node you're already trading in.
Yeah the trade system looks cooler and more organic than the old one, but I'm getting the feeling it might not be any more fun to actually play. It's still "open CoT list, click on the top ones, forget about it".

In general, I was surprised by how much this felt like EU3.5, compared to the CK1->CK2 total revolution. There's all sorts of old little quirks that I had expected to have been smoothed out in the upgrade, like having to take fleet out of port to embark troops, or needing to go into the ledger to find out how many troops a country has. I'd love it if patches addressed some of those things, much like CK2's patches did with some of the rough spots at release.

Question: as Venice I was trying to set up an anti-Ottoman coalition, but (a) I couldn't find a way to 'invite' people into it and (b) I discovered Austria had set up her own anti-France coalition (they also were the only one in it). According to the dev diary (a) should have been possible and (b) should have not. How do coalitions work, again?

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!
Question, how can you view the attitudes of countries like we saw in Wiz's dev diary? Maybe I'm just dumb but I can't seem to find them.

I haven't so much as unpaused as Portugal yet, but so far I'm loving what I see.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

NihilCredo posted:

The map in general is pretty cluttered. It's nice that army/navy icons are so big and legible, but they're so big that they overlap everywhere and it can be hard to grok troop distribution at a glance.
Yeah the trade system looks cooler and more organic than the old one, but I'm getting the feeling it might not be any more fun to actually play. It's still "open CoT list, click on the top ones, forget about it".

In general, I was surprised by how much this felt like EU3.5, compared to the CK1->CK2 total revolution. There's all sorts of old little quirks that I had expected to have been smoothed out in the upgrade, like having to take fleet out of port to embark troops, or needing to go into the ledger to find out how many troops a country has. I'd love it if patches addressed some of those things, much like CK2's patches did with some of the rough spots at release.

Question: as Venice I was trying to set up an anti-Ottoman coalition, but (a) I couldn't find a way to 'invite' people into it and (b) I discovered Austria had set up her own anti-France coalition (they also were the only one in it). According to the dev diary (a) should have been possible and (b) should have not. How do coalitions work, again?

You can embark troops while ships are in port with the embark button. They won't leave the province until the ship is out of port though.

Bishop Rodan posted:

Question, how can you view the attitudes of countries like we saw in Wiz's dev diary? Maybe I'm just dumb but I can't seem to find them.

I haven't so much as unpaused as Portugal yet, but so far I'm loving what I see.

Diplomacy screen or province view. Next to opinion.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!
How the gently caress did I not notice that. :downs:

Thanks, Wiz!

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

The Belgian posted:

My map in the demo seems to have shadow continents in the ocean?

http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheBelgian/screenshot/921270022785649025

I didn't have this but I did have every flag showing up as a black block. Verifying the integrity didn't fix it, but deleting the My Docs/Paradox/EU4 Demo/gfx folder did. Might be worth a try for you too?

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

For some reason our warscore seems to be broken or am I missing something?

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

NihilCredo posted:

One of the dev diaries a little while back mentioned a change to how coalitions work. Now, anybody can make a coalition against anybody else, and the only restriction is you can only be in one coalition at a time.

Vodos posted:

For some reason our warscore seems to be broken or am I missing something?

Portugal doesn't occupy any provinces, so gets no warscore. In EU3, only the war leader got warscore for battles, whoever fought in them, and that seems to have carried over to EU4.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
Managed to get big enough as Venice to crush Austria in a war. Didn't quite get enough provinces to form Italy (still needed Lombardia). Just ten more years dammit.

I also got some event that gave me 1000 ducats :O. That really helped. I can't see how to afford the 3 rating advisers at all.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I had no idea there was going to be a demo! Can't wait to get home from work.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Baronjutter posted:

I had no idea there was going to be a demo! Can't wait to get home from work.

I have to work late tonight. :negative:

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Man, the new diplo/mil/admin points system and revamped ideas are great. I always liked the sound of them in theory but they're so much better in practice. Sieges seem to be resolved much quicker, too, which is nice because I thought they were really tedious in EU3. The political map mode is kinda funny-looking but not so bad that I couldn't get used to it after a while (though I will echo the people asking why it needed to be changed from CK2). Overall it's a pretty big improvement over 3 and I love it. Can't wait for full release.

I played the Ottomans and they seemed like a serious contender, unlike the pushovers they tended to be in 3. By about the halfway point I was the world's #1 military power and had humiliated Hungary and forced them to release Croatia after they sent me an insult. I was making money hand over fist without even really messing with the economy aside from turning army maintenance down to half during peacetime thanks to owning Constantinople. I haven't played any other nations yet but I'm really happy with how the Ottomans turned out.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Kainser posted:

The political map mode really does look bad in comparison to the one in CK2. Is this just another attempt from Paradox to make people use the terrain map mode? :argh:

Doesn't seem like it's going to change, so I guess we better find a way to make it look nicer.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
I have a serious complaint about the demo so far. Not a single instance of Falalalan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
I had my best success with Venice by ignoring ships completely and building a huge army that my trade bonuses could support.

• Locked thread