Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
One I'll always remember for some reason is from Con Air. The trailer had a scene where Nic Cage walks across the back of a bad guy stretched between two speeding trucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Toebone posted:

One I'll always remember for some reason is from Con Air. The trailer had a scene where Nic Cage walks across the back of a bad guy stretched between two speeding trucks.

When you realize stuff like was shot and then cut from the final film, it really makes you wonder just what the hell is missing and how it would have changed everything. Some cuts are minor but some cuts are very drastic, erasing whole subplots from a film.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

What exactly constitutes a Revisionist Western? Wherever I see the term used, it's in relation to movies I've seen and quite liked, like Unforgiven or High Noon, but the term itself doesn't mean anything to me. I guess I haven't seen enough non-revisionist Westerns to understand the classification.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

What exactly constitutes a Revisionist Western? Wherever I see the term used, it's in relation to movies I've seen and quite liked, like Unforgiven or High Noon, but the term itself doesn't mean anything to me. I guess I haven't seen enough non-revisionist Westerns to understand the classification.

It's basically a western that's not literally "guy rides up on a horse, shoots a bunch of Indians, rescues the girl and rides off into the sunset". The more realistic or cynical types of westerns.

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

computer parts posted:

It's basically a western that's not literally "guy rides up on a horse, shoots a bunch of Indians, rescues the girl and rides off into the sunset". The more realistic or cynical types of westerns.

Yeah, close enough. It's a fuzzy term because there was already a lot of subversive elements going on even in the Classical period (Johnny Guitar flouts some conventions but it isn't generally considered a revisionist Western, although one could argue that Broken Arrow from the 50's IS revisionist), so it's important to remember that it's both a genre and kind of a specific movement as well, so it's tied to a time period. The Revisionist Western does tend to be more cynical and particularly emphasizes that that era sucked and has a larger focus on minority groups than more classical westerns tended to, and you start seeing this pop up in the mid 60's and continuing since then, but it's been getting more and more ill-defined as it goes.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

CzarChasm posted:

The missing footage from a trailer that I remember most clearly would be from Twister. IIRC, it's a POV shot from inside a truck, and as it's driving down the road, a big farm tractor is picked up and tossed into the truck by the storm.

I remember it because it was pointed out in the MTV Movie Awards show from that year.

This was pretty infamous because it was a money shot that made everyone go "whoa" in the theater but wasn't in the movie itself. In fact it caused some controversy (as far as silly things such as this can be 'controversial') when the press found out the shot was never meant for the film at all but was in fact made specifically for the trailer. I remember reading a short TV Guide piece about it at the time.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

`Revisionism' in general refers to any work that nominally participates in a genre or movement which is popular enough to have an institutionalised aesthetic (in terms of presentation or in content), but which rejects or re-interprets that aesthetic enough to have its own recognisable sensibilities.

In Westerns this is, as others have commented, generally a reaction to the studio-era Western, exemplified by the mid-career John Ford. It's easy to think of a lot of the obvious elements---moral simplicity, patriotic nationalism, belief in the inherent strength and righteousness of communities, and so on---but there are also all the archetypes (team-player maverick, eastern intellectual, drunken doctor, whore with a heart of gold, and so on), the hallmarks of setting (canonically the Monument Valley, but more generally a wilderness that is tough, but also full of opportunity), and the framing of action (e.g. violence being a thing which is generally to be deplored but can be employed by hard-handed righteous men to expunge villainy from the community with almost surgical cleanliness).

When you look at, for example, the Sergio Leone Westerns, you can see the systematic subversion of all of these conventions---the `heroes' are largely amoral; the violence is random, brutal, and messy; the landscape is a blasted hellscape; and so forth.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

SubG posted:

`Revisionism' in general refers to any work that nominally participates in a genre or movement which is popular enough to have an institutionalised aesthetic (in terms of presentation or in content), but which rejects or re-interprets that aesthetic enough to have its own recognisable sensibilities.

In Westerns this is, as others have commented, generally a reaction to the studio-era Western, exemplified by the mid-career John Ford. It's easy to think of a lot of the obvious elements---moral simplicity, patriotic nationalism, belief in the inherent strength and righteousness of communities, and so on---but there are also all the archetypes (team-player maverick, eastern intellectual, drunken doctor, whore with a heart of gold, and so on), the hallmarks of setting (canonically the Monument Valley, but more generally a wilderness that is tough, but also full of opportunity), and the framing of action (e.g. violence being a thing which is generally to be deplored but can be employed by hard-handed righteous men to expunge villainy from the community with almost surgical cleanliness).

When you look at, for example, the Sergio Leone Westerns, you can see the systematic subversion of all of these conventions---the `heroes' are largely amoral; the violence is random, brutal, and messy; the landscape is a blasted hellscape; and so forth.

Ford also made an amazing one - The Searchers.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

SubG posted:

This is pretty funny because Deadwood has almost all of those archetypes.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?

Blast of Confetti posted:

Why do trailers sometimes have a line/scene not in the release of the movie? Indiana Jones Crystal Skull's "Part time" one liner was entirely different in the trailer and I just saw a review for Ted that talks about how a certain line was in the trailer but not the movie.

Are the people that make the ads different from the people making the version that plays in theaters or something like that?

I read somewhere that someone sued Paramount over Jack Reacher because there is a scene in the trailer that's not in the movie.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
Why has The Lone Ranger bombed?

It took a critical pasting, but so did Transformers and Pirates of the Caribbean. The trailers and marketing all scream "blockbuster hit!!" to me; it's not like it looks like they hosed it up from an expensive, polished, mass-market summer blockbuster perspective. It doesn't look weird or difficult or niche. What went wrong?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Slasherfan posted:

I read somewhere that someone sued Paramount over Jack Reacher because there is a scene in the trailer that's not in the movie.

Instead they should have sued because Jack Reacher was SO BORING. I was amused that the villain was a FOREIGNER who's big scheme was he would take TAXPAYER MONEY to build PUBLIC WORKS that we didn't need. GET SHOT IN THE FACE, FOREIGN COMMIE LEECH! :911:

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

Yeah, although it really highlights how revisionism a matter of degree. The Searchers (1956) doesn't look or feel like, for example, one of Leone's Westerns. It's really the fact that it's Ford and Wayne revisiting all this old familiar material and merely not finding the same essential simplicity that is so striking. It's not really a film that you'd look at and necessarily think `revisionist Western' if you weren't already familiar with the kind of material John Ford and John Wayne were known for. Were venerated for.

I really wouldn't call The Searchers one of my favourite John Ford films (although it's one of his most beautiful---and the blu ray looks fantastic and is dirt cheap if anyone out there hasn't seen it), but it's certainly one of the most essential texts in Hollywood cinema.

Ho Chi Mint posted:

This is pretty funny because Deadwood has almost all of those archetypes.
I assume this is absolutely intentional, which isn't uncommon in a certain kind of revisionism. It is certainly true that High Noon (1952) deliberately invokes a lot of the regalia of the studio era Western merely to reframe the elements. Leone does a lot of the same things in Once Upon a Time in the West (1968), although the fact that his bravura style has become part of the mainstream mode of representation tends to obscure a lot of it from modern eyes. And you can almost see the checklist Whedon is using in Firefly.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

This has already been answered, but I saw a ton of new posts in the Red Dead Redemption thread and noticed that you're playing the game. Pay close attention to the third act of the game when you get there. It's a tribute to the revisionist western genre.

Popcorn posted:

It took a critical pasting, but so did Transformers and Pirates of the Caribbean. The trailers and marketing all scream "blockbuster hit!!" to me; it's not like it looks like they hosed it up from an expensive, polished, mass-market summer blockbuster perspective. It doesn't look weird or difficult or niche. What went wrong?

Westerns generally don't produce blockbuster grosses, at least in recent years. I think the problem is everything you pointed out. It looked too polished and too much like a blockbuster. The whole thing just looked like a thinly veiled attempt to create a franchise, and I think it rubbed people the wrong way. The trailers and commercials didn't really hint what the movie was about. It just relied too heavily on Johnny Depp being weird, and that's not producing the results that it was a few years ago.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

CopywrightMMXI posted:

and I think it rubbed people the wrong way.

This is probably a really big factor, I know a bunch of people who saw it and they all hated it and thought it was weird and boring. If I had to guess, a major factor in Lone Ranger's failure was negative word-of-mouth. It just kinda turned people off.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Thanks for the replies, everyone. Very helpful.

CopywrightMMXI posted:

This has already been answered, but I saw a ton of new posts in the Red Dead Redemption thread and noticed that you're playing the game. Pay close attention to the third act of the game when you get there. It's a tribute to the revisionist western genre.

I've actually played it before and am going through it another time. It's one of the things that helped me get into westerns in the first place. :) Do you mean hunting down Dutch or the stuff on the ranch, or both?

Alfred P. Pseudonym fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Aug 9, 2013

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Popcorn posted:

This summer has been jammed to the hilt.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Thanks for the replies, everyone. Very helpful.

I've actually played it before and am going through it another time. It's one of the things that helped me get into westerns in the first place. :) Do you mean hunting down Dutch or the stuff on the ranch, or both?

Pretty much everything about the third act is, including the stuff you mentioned. The blurred lines of morality are present throughout the game, but really come to a head throughout the third act.

Also, keep in mind at this point in the game we meet our first Native character. The coked up professor keeps on treating him like a savage, but the Native character (I can't remember his name) is obviously much more intelligent and insightful. The humanization of natives is a huge part of revisionist westerns.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

quote:

Westerns generally don't produce blockbuster grosses, at least in recent years.

But remember how that was the case with pirate movies before Pirates of the Caribbean, too?

They're not blockbusters, but I would have thought the commercial success of True Grit and Django indicated a market that might be receptive to the western. I guess Wild Wild West did badly but that was years ago.

I'm really interested in how the same market that laps up Transformers and the latter PoTC movies snubbed this. The idea that they responded to a perceived cynicism fascinates me. I'd also like to know what it is about Lone Ranger that might have created negative word of mouth that Transformers (a franchise I never hear anyone speak positively about, even among non-nerds) didn't.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

Popcorn posted:

But remember how that was the case with pirate movies before Pirates of the Caribbean, too?

They're not blockbusters, but I would have thought the commercial success of True Grit and Django indicated a market that might be receptive to the western. I guess Wild Wild West did badly but that was years ago.

I'm really interested in how the same market that laps up Transformers and the latter PoTC movies snubbed this. The idea that they responded to a perceived cynicism fascinates me. I'd also like to know what it is about Lone Ranger that might have created negative word of mouth that Transformers (a franchise I never hear anyone speak positively about, even among non-nerds) didn't.

While True Grit and Django were certainly successful, they weren't the type of movies that brought in hundreds of millions of dollars.

The Lone Ranger may just be the first signs of blockbuster fatigue that Spielberg and Lucas have predicted.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

CopywrightMMXI posted:

While True Grit and Django were certainly successful, they weren't the type of movies that brought in hundreds of millions of dollars.

Django made $323 million at the box office. True Grit made $213 million.

I know what you mean though. Transformers 3 made a billion alone.

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Aug 9, 2013

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

CopywrightMMXI posted:

The Lone Ranger may just be the first signs of blockbuster fatigue that Spielberg and Lucas have predicted.

No, it's because it's a (relatively) untested property which was poorly made. To go back to Transformers, while it wasn't a great movie it was an entertaining and well paced movie. The feeling I've gotten from Disney since Pirates 3 is that they can't really get the good first entry to warrant more sequels like the original Pirates of the Caribbean.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
Yeah, I think the problem with the Lone Ranger is that they vastly, vastly underestimated their audience. The trailers just made it seem like a lousy attempt to recreate the Pirates franchise's aesthetic (despite those movies having already burned people out on Johnny Depp being whacky, I know I nearly walked out when there were three or four Jack Sparrows running around on screen in the third one). It had a weird mixture of pandering to its audience while sneering at them which I think the audience picked up on.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

bobkatt013 posted:

I liked Searchers up til the ending. It should've had the kid shoot Wayne.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Popcorn posted:

I think part of it is that nobody gives a poo poo about the franchise of the Lone Ranger or about Armie Hammer as a lead. Transformers had a huge childhood BUT BADASS AND MODERN nostalgia thing as well as Shia LaBeouf being at least recognizable. Pirates had Orlando Bloom hot off the LotR movies and Keira Knightley being a bit of a name.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

effectual posted:

I liked Searchers up til the ending. It should've had the kid shoot Wayne.
Man, the best thing about The Searchers is the ending. It's one of the half dozen or so films with absolutely loving perfect endings. There's no way you could improve the thing, it's like some kind of optical illusion where you keep looking at it and it keeps on getting better and better, by which I mean unsettling and off-putting. The blackness of the house. The family receding into darkness toward the audience. The only light being the blasted wasteland into which Ethan wanders listlessly. The way he favours his arm. And that's not even taking into account all of the narrative poo poo. It's just a loving astonishing bit of filmmaking. It is so loving good.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

I think part of it is that nobody gives a poo poo about the franchise of the Lone Ranger or about Armie Hammer as a lead. Transformers had a huge childhood BUT BADASS AND MODERN nostalgia thing as well as Shia LaBeouf being at least recognizable. Pirates had Orlando Bloom hot off the LotR movies and Keira Knightley being a bit of a name.

Transformers also had Michael Bay, an enormously successful director with his finger on the pulse of the public consciousness.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I thought Pale Rider should go in the western subversion category.

Also to a (much) lesser degree, Posse and the Sharon Stone version of the Quick and the Dead.

And Gene Hackman related, every list of acceptable westerns must include the aforementioned Unforgiven.

Alas that I can not say the same for Tombstone because as awesome as it was, it is also bog-standard old school hero rides a white horse &c. Protagonists are (reasonably) good and the antagonists are rapier than Clint in Pale Rider. Every actor's performance in that was pitch perfect though, and the dialogue was brilliant. I say this as someone who generally dislikes westerns.

Dead Man was probably also a revisionist western but I'm not an expert.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

SubG posted:

Man, the best thing about The Searchers is the ending. It's one of the half dozen or so films with absolutely loving perfect endings. There's no way you could improve the thing, it's like some kind of optical illusion where you keep looking at it and it keeps on getting better and better, by which I mean unsettling and off-putting. The blackness of the house. The family receding into darkness toward the audience. The only light being the blasted wasteland into which Ethan wanders listlessly. The way he favours his arm. And that's not even taking into account all of the narrative poo poo. It's just a loving astonishing bit of filmmaking. It is so loving good.

I was referring to the scene right before that, when Wayne is runnin after the girl and you think he might shoot her like he swore to earlier, and the boy will have to shoot Wayne to save the girl, but then Wayne doesn't shoot her because (?) forced hollywood happy ending.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

effectual posted:

I was referring to the scene right before that, when Wayne is runnin after the girl and you think he might shoot her like he swore to earlier, and the boy will have to shoot Wayne to save the girl, but then Wayne doesn't shoot her because (?) forced hollywood happy ending.

A woman gets to try to re-integrate into a culture she hasn't known since she was 6, while the culture she has now and the people she was raised by have been annihilated. Meanwhile Wayne realizes he has no part in the community he has delivered her to, since the rest of his family is dead and he's spent the better part of the last decade wandering around trying to find her.

Pretty happy ending.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

effectual posted:

An ending where Ethan wound up dead would've been happier than the ending Ford gave us, because that would have at least given implied closure and tacitly endorsed the system of authentic frontier horseshit to which he was so committed and which, it strongly is implied, is madness. Instead Debbie's shuffled off into the unknown darkness which we all, in the modern not mythological America, inhabit while Ethan is left to dry up and blow away.

Punch Drunk Drewsky
Jul 22, 2008

No one can stop the movies.
This is going to be more of a movie literature question, but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on books to read about Andrei Tarkovsky? I've been going through a director's filmography one at a time for my website and I don't know as much about him, or Russian cinema in general, as I would like - though what I have seen is beautiful (Solaris, The Cranes Are Flying, and Battleship Potemkin for a few).

Any suggestions would be welcome, and thank you.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
There is a lot to look at for the failure of The Lone Ranger. Of course, Disney and the filmmakers wants to point fingers elsewhere (The critics had it out for us! its not our fault!)

It's an old property that people of today aren't ultra fond of, meaning people weren't going out of nostalgia. I thought my dad would have liked it for that reason and he went "Eh, I didn't really get into The Long Ranger. My dad is in his 50s. It's way old, and nostalgia was banked on when it wasn't there.

They also banked on Johnny Depp being weird to bring in the numbers, but people are getting tired of it. It is accepted when he's Jack Sparrow (and I think when he does Pirates 5 it will be accepted again) but people aren't as dumb as studios suppose, and they didn't go in for Johnny Depp doing a mystic version of Jack Sparrow. Then of course there is the race issue which was a big no no for a lot of people.

They spent too much money on a film that was almost certainly never going to make it back. It was a big gamble and it blew up in their face, but sure, Disney, the critics hate you.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

There is a lot to look at for the failure of The Lone Ranger. Of course, Disney and the filmmakers wants to point fingers elsewhere (The critics had it out for us! its not our fault!)

Hahaha. Yeah, summer blockbusters are really the types of things to be influenced by critical pans.

Richard Roeper said it was cliched and lackluster, well I guess I won't go see this big-budget action movie.

Suck it Disney.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

I think with The Lone Ranger, there was a fair amount of press calling it a flop before it ever came out and it's a bit of a self fulfilling prophecy but also what BigBudgetSequel said about it being an oldass IP that people aren't particularly attached to. It could also be blockbuster fatigue and maybe people got tired of Pirates of the Caribbean movies and didn't want to see another Gore Verbinski/Johnny Depp vehicle (although Rango was excellent) and that westerns aren't as popular as they once were. Maybe the Disney brand is turning toxic unless Pixar is involved. There's a whole lot of possible reasons.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

DIS is doing better than ever: http://www.google.com/finance?q=NYSE:DIS

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

It's an old property that people of today aren't ultra fond of, meaning people weren't going out of nostalgia. I thought my dad would have liked it for that reason and he went "Eh, I didn't really get into The Long Ranger. My dad is in his 50s. It's way old, and nostalgia was banked on when it wasn't there.

I think it's hard to pinpoint a direct and prime cause for a movies failure or success but yea the only person I know who wanted to see The Lone Ranger this year was my grandpa who's in his 80s and probably waiting for a Tom Mix revival.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
There have been a few popular westerns recently, but I don't think they're very compatible with the big blockbuster template. Cowboys vs. Aliens was a huge flop, too.

You just have to twist the genre to an extreme to justify the kind of spectacle those movies demand. Sci-fi and fantasy work better for obvious reasons.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Titanic had the "going to be a flop" buzz and that was the highest grossing movie of all time.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

morestuff posted:

There have been a few popular westerns recently, but I don't think they're very compatible with the big blockbuster template. Cowboys vs. Aliens was a huge flop, too.

You just have to twist the genre to an extreme to justify the kind of spectacle those movies demand. Sci-fi and fantasy work better for obvious reasons.
Unless that sci-fi is John Carter. Which brings us around to answering the original question. The reason Lone Ranger bombed is that Disney is a bunch of bumbling idiots.

edit - What we should be asking is: how did Wreck It Ralph turn out okay?

fenix down fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Aug 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Disney is a hydra. Some of its heads are more competent than others.