Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

MithosKuu posted:

It was our first let's play, which isn't really an excuse, but we've mostly been aiming for "a bunch of friends hanging out on a couch having fun" sort of style, but looking back I really should have been more informative.

We recorded the Gamecube version on a Wii using component cables, at the time that was the best we could do outside of emulation, nowadays I could capture the re-release on the Wii U at 1080p but there are quite a few version differences.

All our audio and video is recorded separately so we could go in and do post commentary, but thats not something we've done before and I'm not sure how comfortable we would be recording it. Honestly looking back I'm not too proud of this run through but we reference it in a lot of our later stuff so I'm hesitant to just toss it out. I think I might just release it on youtube and save our newer, better stuff for here...

First thing I wanna mention is that cross-LP jokes probably aren't the best thing to have since it would require the viewer to have watched your other LPs, for maximum effect and you can't guarantee that people will wanna sift through an entire LP for a few offhand references. Second, you can still get the "buds hanging out" vibe from doing things in post, it'll just be more chatting over a movie as opposed to one person playing a video game while the other(s) sit and watch. Third, and this is just for clarification I guess and isn't really advice, but doesn't the Wii U upscale 480p games so they'd fit the frame of a 1080p screen by stretching the image as opposed to rendering stuff at the higher resolution? 480p's pretty much the best you'll get out of gamecube and wii stuff without stretching the image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schir
Jan 23, 2012

goldwright posted:

I think I did this mostly right, but I probably missed something completely obvious. So better safe than sorry.

Is it just me, or did you forget to turn off resampling when you were resizing your images? They look slightly off and less clear than they should.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Schir posted:

Is it just me, or did you forget to turn off resampling when you were resizing your images? They look slightly off and less clear than they should.

Is your browser zoomed in or something? They're 1:1 pixel perfect for me at 2x scale.

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Infinite ammo vs. CYBER PUNCH!!

goldwright posted:

I think I did this mostly right, but I probably missed something completely obvious. So better safe than sorry.

In the proposed thread title, "Kame wa Naru" should be "Kane wa Naru," unless you've got ringing turtles around. As for the test update, it's a little short to judge, but I'd put in more animated gifs and music links.

Also, this game is pretty awesome and more people should play/know about it, so I'm totally looking forward to this LP!

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
Right, so I received the opinion that a) VLP wasn't really the way to go for Chocobo Tales and b) I am a terrible commentator.

So have another test post, this time as a Hybrid: http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=15030

Is that a good size for the images, or should I get them bigger?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

goldwright posted:

For the Frog the Bell Tolls

Are you sure this isn't better suited as video?

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Has anyone else observed some glitches with recent uploads to Youtube? From what I could gather, there seem to be a few seconds of glitchy pixels after transition effects. It looks like mostly WMV files made with Vegas are affected, but other people report to have it regardles of chosen format.

unfair
Oct 6, 2012

Tin Tim posted:

Has anyone else observed some glitches with recent uploads to Youtube? From what I could gather, there seem to be a few seconds of glitchy pixels after transition effects. It looks like mostly WMV files made with Vegas are affected, but other people report to have it regardles of chosen format.

I've only heard of it happening on WMV files, try rendering MP4 instead and you should be fine - that's what YouTube prefers anyway.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
HEY BALDURK!!!

All of the videos from Travis343's EarthBound LP seem to have disappeared off the face of the internet, including the LP Archive. Is there any hope of getting them back?

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare
How do threads that feature two games usually fair? I'm talking about two games from the same series. The second game a direct sequel in fact. I fancy doing them as one thread as they're both short-ish games and both will boil down to the same type of discussion so it seems like it might be good to just keep it all within the same thread. I, however, have no issue with just doing two threads.

With that in mind, how are threads like that usually archived? I'm sure there are examples but I'm not sure how to look them up :v: would it just be archived under the first game or two entries to the archive linking to the same stuff, or split? Not sure how baldurk handles that kind of thing.

neon flame
Feb 21, 2013

Apparently Dan is a sex symbol in France.

My first thought was searching for 'series' on the lparchive http://lparchive.org/title/series.

That returned a few results, so I'd say it'll be ok to make a thread for multiple games. Just try and make it clear in the thread title.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
Yes searching for 'Series' when looking for series' would be the obvious choice :doh: I'm silly. Thanks though! I'm a little more happy with doing a single thread, then.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Sundowner posted:

How do threads that feature two games usually fair?

With that in mind, how are threads like that usually archived? I'm sure there are examples but I'm not sure how to look them up :v: would it just be archived under the first game or two entries to the archive linking to the same stuff, or split? Not sure how baldurk handles that kind of thing.

People do multiple game threads all the time, with games that are similar it's almost certainly preferable to keeping two threads afloat and splitting the discussion. So yeah, go ahead.

The latter question is a good one though.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Some games where all done as part of the same thread but where archived as separate LPs for one reason or another. There's nothing wrong with LPing multiple games in one thread that you plan to have archived.

How it ends up getting archived will depend on how you put it to Baldurk.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Sundowner posted:

It varies. Quovak's LP's of the first two Golden Sun games were lumped together, while slowbeef and Diabetus's run of the Metroid Prime series (and Fusion) was split up despite being in one thread.

Doesn't look like there's really any set-in-stone criteria, so I guess however you'd prefer it.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Seconding this. Despite the combat, there are other things that would be affected by a decision to go for screenshots.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
I was actually thinking about this as well for the LP of Aliens:CM I'm about to finish in the bad games thread as I do think it's a pretty good LP. The threads table of contents already points to all the relevant thread posts he'd need so I could just give baldurk an OP to go with those videos, even though it would refer back to the thread.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

GeneralYeti posted:

Is that a good size for the images, or should I get them bigger?

Try 512x384 for one screen, and 512x768 for two (or maybe 256x384 if you think that's too big or something, but other than the title screen it won't come up that much). As is, they're a bit too small, needlessly blurry and have noticable colour issues which is a really big issue for a game as bright and colourful as Chocobo Tales is. Like, the difference between these two images is pretty significant.

e; Also, you seem to have 1 pixel of the top screen running along the top of every screenshot for some reason. Just looks like an error in cropping, but I find that it's really easy to notice.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Aug 7, 2013

ApocalypseToast
Mar 12, 2013
I felt like trying my hand at a S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl VLP.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

There is basically nothing wrong with this, but I find your commentary to be a bit boring. It's kinda reactionary and you sound like you're half asleep, which doesn't really engage me. Also, you can talk a bit between the tutorial parts. Maybe it's just because I saw it a million times, but I find it boring to just go through it without having it spiced up by a sentence or two.

And since I know STALKER like the inside of my pockets, I have a nitpick.

- The battle for the parking lot is easier when you approach from the right. Like, stick to the bushes/cover there and you won't get spotted. Then you can ambush the Bandits by the campfire and be fancy from there on out. Also, next to the wounded Stalker in the beginning, is a silenced pistol which can make this fight much easier. Well, at least if you're good at headshots.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Okay, here's a (hopefully) better version of my Chocobo Tales test post. All better now?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Would it be possible to play it in wide screen?

Besides that, you should probably mostly skip the five minutes of uninterrupted tutorial in the beginning (except for substantial bits).

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
Is it bad form to open up a thread to user contributions? I'm going to do an LP of Decisive Campaigns: Warsaw to Paris and some one shot war games, but I'd like to give people the option of contributing if they wish.

Robust Laser
Oct 13, 2012

Dance, Spaceman, Dance!

Jakse posted:

Is it bad form to open up a thread to user contributions? I'm going to do an LP of Decisive Campaigns: Warsaw to Paris and some one shot war games, but I'd like to give people the option of contributing if they wish.

Nah, man. There's plenty of threads out there that are open to users contributing with their own material if it fits the topic.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Jakse posted:

Why would it be?

Just, uh... try to set some ground rules so that no one feels like taking over the thread.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

GeneralYeti posted:

All better now?

A lot, yeah. The only other thing is maybe resize the .gif to be the same size as the others, but I wouldn't worry about that too much if that'd push it over 2mb.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Dragonatrix posted:

A lot, yeah. The only other thing is maybe resize the .gif to be the same size as the others, but I wouldn't worry about that too much if that'd push it over 2mb.

Yeah, resizing the .gif makes it either look terrible or over 2mb. Is it that jarring that it breaks the update?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Not particularly, no. It just stood out a bit at first, but it's not that big a deal really. Sometimes it's a necessity for reader convenience, I think.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

Pictured: Vampiric Telemarketers

Most players probably gave up on Bloodnet because of its terrible UI and combat, and combined with story progression so non-linear that, if you don't know where to go at what time, before or after you've triggered something else, you'll most likely wander around aimlessly as time runs out.

It's worth noting that Bloodnet is very unforgiving. The protagonist is a vampire, and has to drink blood every now and then or else he shits the bed. Time passes as you travel between areas, and that means the Bloodlust meter goes up. Fill that meter up 100% and it can be game over if there aren't any humans around to suck on. If you bite anyone, your humanity meter decreases. If that goes too low -- it also decreases with time -- and then it's game over. You can also bite plot-necessary NPCs and then you're hosed. Bite a party member and they'll leave you for good along with the rest of your party. If a party member dies, they're dead for good, and if they were plot-critical, you're hosed and hosed again. There's also something called cyberspace, and if you're decked in for too long, game over.

So why am I LPing this game? Despite it's flaws, I loved playing it. The dialogue is great, the characters are incredibly memorable and unique, and the horror mixed with cyberpunk setting is fantastic. I know where to go at what times, what needs to be done in what order, and how to navigate the bad UI, so this SSLP will shine a light on the good parts.

Part 1

I've been talking with the tech support thread about my images and this is the result. I don't have a good idea for a thread title.

gatz fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Aug 9, 2013

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

gatz posted:

Pictured: Vampiric Telemarketers

Your image quality is great and I really wanted to see how the last thread panned out. Just one thing: I know you wanna incorporate Let's into Let's Play, but seriously choose your archetype for your readers. According to the last thread, there's like one build that actually works and the rest are literally impossible to beat the game with.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku

The White Dragon posted:

Your image quality is great and I really wanted to see how the last thread panned out. Just one thing: I know you wanna incorporate Let's into Let's Play, but seriously choose your archetype for your readers. According to the last thread, there's like one build that actually works and the rest are literally impossible to beat the game with.

You're probably right. I don't think that it's impossible, but there are two fights I can think of in particular that would require a lot of reloading if you don't know what skills to pick. I've updated the test post taking your advice into account.

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."

What's that little pixelated fleshy thing at lower right? Is that an indecent future skyscraper?

goldwright
Mar 25, 2013

How Ingratiating! posted:

In the proposed thread title, "Kame wa Naru" should be "Kane wa Naru," unless you've got ringing turtles around. As for the test update, it's a little short to judge, but I'd put in more animated gifs and music links.

Also, this game is pretty awesome and more people should play/know about it, so I'm totally looking forward to this LP!

:doh: Thanks, fixed that.

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Cheez posted:

Seconding this. Despite the combat, there are other things that would be affected by a decision to go for screenshots.

Honestly I'm not quite sure. I've actually been deciding between a vlp and a sslp for a while, before deciding with the latter. Mainly it was because of there is a lot of talking, and the combat is rather repetitive. On the other side there is the platforming, and all the action parts. If the general advice is that I should do a vlp I'm willing to try it out.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

The White Dragon posted:

Actually, the images are in the wrong aspect ratio. This is a 320x200 resolution game which is intended to be played on a 4:3 screen of the time when it was released. However, 320x200 is actually 16:10 aspect ratio, so this is corrected by the CRT itself having rectangular pixels (1:1.2 ratio) to stretch the image vertically into 4:3 ratio.

Here is your original image:

and here is what it looks like when stretched to 640x480 to correct the aspect ratio:

If you look at the people on the left and the statue on the upper right, I think it's pretty obvious that the second one is in the correct aspect ratio and that the first one is squashed vertically.

The best way to achieve this technically is to first do a nearest neighbour resize 320x200->640x400 (which you are already doing) and then to resize with resampling 640x400->640x480. This introduces a very minor amount of blur, but this can't be avoided if you want to preserve the correct aspect ratio.

gatz
Oct 19, 2012

Love 'em and leave 'em
Groom 'em and feed 'em
Cid Shinjuku
Thanks for the heads up about the images. I've updated the test post with new images, as well as handling character creation myself.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

ivantod posted:

This introduces a very minor amount of blur, but this can't be avoided if you want to preserve the correct aspect ratio.

:confused: All you have to do to avoid blur is not use resampling.

Edit:

I recommend pngs over gifs. They'll be noticeably smaller that way, without any loss in quality.

vilkacis fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Aug 9, 2013

ApocalypseToast
Mar 12, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

Would it be possible to play it in wide screen?

Besides that, you should probably mostly skip the five minutes of uninterrupted tutorial in the beginning (except for substantial bits).

Recording at any resolution higher than 1280 x 720 makes the FPS around 20-24 and it's unplayable nor would I want to post it without being at least 30.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

ApocalypseToast posted:

Recording at any resolution higher than 1280 x 720 makes the FPS around 20-24 and it's unplayable nor would I want to post it without being at least 30.

What settings are you running at? STALKER doesn't exactly take a supercomputer.

Make sure to grab https://sites.google.com/site/kingo64ssite/Home/optimised-game-shaders/stalker-shaders-max for massively improved performance, too.

edit: If you want an easier shader package to use for a performance increase, use http://stalker.filefront.com/file/Float_32_Mod;101327

Doctor Goat fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Aug 9, 2013

ApocalypseToast
Mar 12, 2013

Hog Butcher posted:

What settings are you running at? STALKER doesn't exactly take a supercomputer.

Make sure to grab https://sites.google.com/site/kingo64ssite/Home/optimised-game-shaders/stalker-shaders-max for massively improved performance, too.

edit: If you want an easier shader package to use for a performance increase, use http://stalker.filefront.com/file/Float_32_Mod;101327

Thanks for the tip but neither of those helped. Although it did make the game look nicer. The problem is specifically the resolution. I have all the settings set as low as possible but if the resolution is any higher, it's always 23ish FPS. I think my problem is my setup. I'm recording to an external drive through USB which isn't ideal but it was all I could afford at the time. I never had a problem until this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unfair
Oct 6, 2012

ApocalypseToast posted:

Thanks for the tip but neither of those helped. Although it did make the game look nicer. The problem is specifically the resolution. I have all the settings set as low as possible but if the resolution is any higher, it's always 23ish FPS. I think my problem is my setup. I'm recording to an external drive through USB which isn't ideal but it was all I could afford at the time. I never had a problem until this game.

You can use something like DxTory to test the data write rate on the drive, but I have a hard time believing that's causing the issue - because that's a tiny data rate for that resolution. You can try recording a small amount of the game to your internal drive and see if you notice a huge difference. If not the drive isn't the problem.

• Locked thread