Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Spaceman Bill posted:

Hey, he had his own book and is still being featured in a third of DC's latest event!

(also i didnt know that can you please elaborate/link)

Can't find a link right now, but I remember reading it in an interview somewhere. The idea was that Martian Manhunter was going to be one of the Seven Soldiers, but he couldn't use him. Seven Soldiers took place at the same time as Infinite Crisis and during that time, Manhunter's role was, "Hey, you! You, the guy that I can see but the reader can't! You're the villain behind everything! You're-- AH!" then got knocked out and was kidnapped for the rest of the story. Morrison just reimagined Frankenstein to take the role instead, which is why he's randomly chilling on Mars in the second issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Dan Didio posted:

No, Zatanna's a full-on, no bullshit reality warping magic type. She says stuff backwards and then they happen.

From what I've read, her power level varies with the writer, and that differences in portrayals are explained away as her insecurities subconsciously holding her back, but the common minimum is mind control, elemental manipulation, healing, and telekinesis.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Gavok posted:

This is all you need to know.

Morrison originally wanted to use Martian Manhunter for this role, but since he wasn't allowed to use him he figured, to hell with it, let's use Frankenstein.
I never knew I'd want something as silly as Frankenstein in this game. Now I do. Especially if he got that...that...whatever the gently caress that thing Frankenstein is using as a horse stand-in.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

AradoBalanga posted:

I never knew I'd want something as silly as Frankenstein in this game. Now I do. Especially if he got that...that...whatever the gently caress that thing Frankenstein is using as a horse stand-in.

A Praying Mantis/Horse/Ant/Dragon thing would make for the best Super in this game, hands down.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

AradoBalanga posted:

That's a Martian horse. Duh.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
So...he's Hellboy?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Gavok posted:

For a while, Zatanna would usually team up with fellow magic user John Constantine, who she had an on-again-off-again relationship. She also had something going with Doctor Thirteen, a detective known for being the last skeptic in the DC Universe. What I mean is that he believes that everything from magic to Superman sightings is smoke and mirrors and ravings of lunatics. His daughter Traci doesn't have the nerve to tell him that she too has magical powers.

Reading this made me realize that I want to see Doctor Thirteen as a character. Ideally, in my mind, he would play exactly like Phoenix Wright in UMvC3, and all his specials/super would consist of citing pages of physics textbooks on why his opponent can't possibly exist. The super would end in the opposing character disappearing in a puff of logic, Hitchhiker's Guide-style

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Aug 9, 2013

SuddenBlackout
Apr 3, 2004

I sho' is hungry
Normally I get rage messages for my Cyborg play but instead today I inspired someone to pick up the character. I feel as if I'm doing gods work now.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Uuuugh, I lost twice online against the same Doomsday player by a tiny margin, both times because of that stupid bug where the meter burn to Bane's Raging Charge doesn't connect if the other guy was running or charging towards you when you landed it. God drat it, NRS...

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
Compatibility costume for Zatanna was just announced, it's our good pal Hank.

Premeditated Toast
Apr 24, 2008

Same as it ever was.

KungFu Grip posted:

So...he's Hellboy?

Sorta/kinda? Frankenstein likes to ride on top of large weird things while swinging a sword and quoting William Butler Yeats though. I read the first arc of his Frankenstein: Agent of Shade series and it did sorta feel like a B.P.R.D. ripoff.

Oh hey, looks like we'll get a new skin with the Compatibility pack after all..
edit: Beaten!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Another Superman skin?

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Another Superman skin?

Well... he is the most played character so....

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

It sucks that it's another Superman skin but that being said it is a really good looking Cyborg Superman skin.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Ryaomon posted:

This guy would've had no issues finding/killing Sarah Connor.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Oh, COME on! :mad:

I feel sorry for any Black Adam/Sinestro/Killer Frost players out there.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

That looks loving cool.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Ryaomon posted:

I notice a severe lack of 90s mullet in that alt. I am very disappointed, NetherRealm Studios. :colbert:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I want to see that skin with the suit and glasses opening . Would be almost on par with Scorpion in terms of hilarity.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

TwoPair posted:

I want to see that skin with the suit and glasses opening . Would be almost on par with Scorpion in terms of hilarity.
Given how the John Stewart skin has the exact same intro (and intro dialogue, to boot) as Hal's normal intro, I'd expect Cyborg Supes to have no change to his intro to account for the new skin.

Basically, it'll be :effort: as all hell.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

AradoBalanga posted:

Given how the John Stewart skin has the exact same intro (and intro dialogue, to boot) as Hal's normal intro, I'd expect Cyborg Supes to have no change to his intro to account for the new skin.

Dude, Superman disguised as Clark Kent with terminator face and glasses is gonna be awesome.

Also, required viewing for terminator super man https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PlwDbSYicM

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008
That does look loving sweet and, but the only costume Superman still needs is the classic 1950s-2010 look and that's it, with a possible exception for Bizzaro if they have the right voice and mannerisms. Just give the whole drat cast who aren't Cyborg, Raven, and Harley their classic costumes already dammit.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

Also, required viewing for terminator super man https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PlwDbSYicM
I actually forgot how Cyborg Superman came about since it's been so long since "Death and Return of Superman".

I wish I still forgot all about his origin.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Ryaomon posted:

gently caress you, NRS.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

AradoBalanga posted:

Unlike Green Lantern, Superman already has a few different intros though. It's pretty likely that Cyborg Superman will have the intro where he flies out of the Fortress of Solitude rather than the Clark Kent one.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

Dude, Superman disguised as Clark Kent with terminator face and glasses is gonna be awesome.

Hopefully he'll rip off part of his face along with the suit.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

AndyElusive posted:

gently caress you, NRS.

My kingdom for a Cass Cain or Stephanie Brown Batgirl skin.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

They could make another outfit for ANYONE, even friggin Wonder Woman and I wouldn't mind so much. Just stop giving Superman outfits. :mad:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

hiddenriverninja posted:

You'll get an Adam West Batman skin before you'll see anything even close.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

AradoBalanga posted:

I notice a severe lack of 90s mullet in that alt. I am very disappointed, NetherRealm Studios. :colbert:

Cyborg Superman never had the mullet. Actual Superman did, after he came back from the dead.

That alt looks rad, but it manages to look less rad than Cyborg Superman does in comics. He looks like a straight up terminator, none of that "mechanical muscle mesh" stuff. Still quite good, though. Hope he gets a custom entrance, but probably not.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

hiddenriverninja posted:

or Stephanie Brown Batgirl skin.

Stephanie Brown is, sadly, especially unlikely. DC and/or Dan Didio have a weird vendetta against her, and have gone to some effort to scrub her from a few points where she was supposed to appear (like in the Smallville season eleven comic ).

It's a bummer, too, because she's one of my favorite comic book characters. :(

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I should be mad about Superman getting yet another costume, but oh my god that looks cool. I'll be using it forever.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

MrJacobs posted:

Just give the whole drat cast who aren't Cyborg, Raven, and Harley their classic costumes already dammit.

A thousand times this, especially after the end of the latest Injustice comic.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?

KungFu Grip posted:

So...he's Hellboy?

I'm trying to picture Hellboy shouting out something as :black101: as "Death to the circus of maggots! Death to their blasphemous ringmaster" and I just can't do it. He could definitely work his way into that exact same situation but he would probably just say "screw you pal" or something. Hellboy is kind of the straight man in his stories whereas Frankenstein is the strange corpse coming up out of the earth to quote Milton before killing everything.

Also Hellboy probably doesn't even know who Yves Tanguy is.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Ryaomon posted:

Efforts to normalize Superman closet size have fallen on deaf ears.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I'm disappointed it's yet another Superman skin, but it looks loving badass.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Just a reminder, there's a Zatanna stream tonight on Twitch at 6pm PST/9pm EST.

http://www.twitch.tv/netherrealm

I'm sure it will be the same deal as Martian Manhunter, they will go through all her strings and specials, some combos, and then goof off against the AI for a bit.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

hiddenriverninja posted:

Batwoman... :eng99:

Also, I'm assuming Cyborg Superman will have the "Kneel before me..." win pose?

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Batwoman... :eng99:

Or just blows up coast city. But that would be too goddamned amazing, and make Superman even more popular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Man, I'm still disappointed that only his Regime which is meh, or his Prison getup which is oddly chunky have that intro/outro. I love those animations and the little guard chatter (SUPERMAN?! Yeah you got this! :haw:) when you come in, but any time I play Supes I just can't pull myself away from Red Son.

• Locked thread