Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

thunderspanks posted:

So the company that I work for has a Sachtler ENG 2 CF tripod who's legs have got all gummed up after spending 3 weeks in Trinidad- so they no longer fall properly under their own weight. I have the honor of being tasked with fixing it despite having no experience doing that sort of thing. There's surprisingly little information I've been able to find on what the best approach it and I sure as hell don't want to blindly start taking it apart- does anyone happen to have experience cleaning/maintaining this sort of thing?

Did you try calling Sachtler and asking? I don't mean that in a rude way, I'm just saying that's what I would do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walnut Crunch
Feb 26, 2003

I take all our Miller stuff to the local reps. They strip it down, get all the salt and sand out of them and send them back for not much at all.

chimheil
Jun 22, 2005

If its anything like the 4588 Speed Lock 75 Carbon Fiber Tripod, http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/766931-REG/Sachtler_0355_System_Cine_DSLR_SL.html, There is a hex bolt behind the locking bars that can be unscrewed. a pin and the bar can be removed. There is a box looking thing near the end of the 2nd level legs near the feet. The 4588 has a box with 4 screws. With that removed the tension bar can be taken off.

Yours looks like it has 6 locking knobs, 2 on each leg. If thats the case there should be screws behind each. Remove them and the bolt. After that you should just be able to pull the CF sections apart. If you are unsure, obviously take it to a rental house and have them take a look.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
Ya'll are probably getting sick of me posting about Seduced and Abandoned but the actual trailer has finally been released so a theatrical release is not far off. It should give you a nice idea of what the movie is about and how it looks. Hope you like it :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfzrA5seD3c

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
I worked with Diane Kruger on a promo for The Bridge. She is a sweetheart!

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Steadiman posted:

Ya'll are probably getting sick of me posting about Seduced and Abandoned but the actual trailer has finally been released so a theatrical release is not far off. It should give you a nice idea of what the movie is about and how it looks. Hope you like it :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfzrA5seD3c

Looks great, and I'm assuming at least one theater in Seattle will be playing it so I'll check it out. :)

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
First day at Steiner was a trip. Within 10 minutes of getting there I was asked to drop some gear off at the stage where they are shooting Ninja Turtles and then later in the day put together an electric package for The Following and checked in some gear returned from Boardwalk Empire

As somebody who previously only ever worked on indie/student location shoots, its pretty mind blowing to be walking around gigantic sets and delivering gear to shows I watch.

Then walking out of the lot I got to see a gang of Foot Soldiers getting ready to shoot a scene.

I'm sure in a few months Ill be jaded like everyone else in this industry, but right now I'm giddy.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

AccountSupervisor posted:

First day at Steiner was a trip. Within 10 minutes of getting there I was asked to drop some gear off at the stage where they are shooting Ninja Turtles and then later in the day put together an electric package for The Following and checked in some gear returned from Boardwalk Empire

As somebody who previously only ever worked on indie/student location shoots, its pretty mind blowing to be walking around gigantic sets and delivering gear to shows I watch.

Then walking out of the lot I got to see a gang of Foot Soldiers getting ready to shoot a scene.

I'm sure in a few months Ill be jaded like everyone else in this industry, but right now I'm giddy.
Do yourself a favor, don't become jaded. I hate working with jaded people, they take the wonder out of this industry. Stay giddy, don't be afraid to be excited and don't put up a front of bored cynicism. It's not cool and does not make you look experienced (which is what I believe a lot of those people think). Even after nearly 20 years I still get giddy on set and excited by the opportunities I find there.

The worst people to work with are those that have become, or pretend to be, jaded, cynical, and bored with the job. They just go through the motions while looking at the clock and lose all passion. This is an industry that requires passion, it's just too drat hard to do this without. I always want to surround myself with people who love what they do, they are the people that go above and beyond, have opinions, think outside the proverbial box, etc. This job is unique, you get to witness insane things, go to amazing places, and meet wonderful people and if that stops inspiring you then you need to get out and become an accountant or something. Stay excited!!

Slim Pickens posted:

Looks great, and I'm assuming at least one theater in Seattle will be playing it so I'll check it out. :)
I hope so, I know it's going into limited theatrical release (it's not really a AAA title) but I think every major city will have at least one theater that shows it :)

EnsGDT posted:

I worked with Diane Kruger on a promo for The Bridge. She is a sweetheart!
She was absolutely lovely, and really funny. In fact, all of the people we worked with were just wonderful. I've never been on a set with less egos than this one. In fact I probably laughed hardest at Ryan Gosling, of all people. That guy is incredibly charming, hilarious and quick witted!

Steadiman fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Aug 2, 2013

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
The 2.5k EF and MFT mount Blackmagic Design Cinema Cameras just got a price drop to $2,000. Still lacking in a few serious ways, but their great price point just got better.

chimheil
Jun 22, 2005

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

The 2.5k EF and MFT mount Blackmagic Design Cinema Cameras just got a price drop to $2,000. Still lacking in a few serious ways, but their great price point just got better.

I saw that. Does that still include a full copy of resolve as well?

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

chimheil posted:

I saw that. Does that still include a full copy of resolve as well?

Yes.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Those are great prices and I wonder if it's in any way related to the addition of raw recording on Magic Lantern-capable Canon bodies. I mean the total cost on a BMC was still lower due to the low cost of SSD's vs. the ridiculous costs of CF cards, but now they're seriously competing on price.

SquareDog
Feb 8, 2004

silent but deadly
The magic lantern RAW is too cumbersome to be useful. I doubt that's why.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
I have no willpower. Guess it's time to keep an eye out for SSDs on sale.

BeavisNuke
Jun 29, 2003

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

I have no willpower. Guess it's time to keep an eye out for SSDs on sale.

Do yourself a favor and stick to the sandisk 240 or 480 ssds. Here's a wedding I shot on the bmcc in prores last week. Graded with filmconvert.

https://vimeo.com/m/70792793

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Yeah you don't want to go cheap on those, and the Sandisks are pretty reasonably priced + never gently caress up.

dashKADE
Apr 8, 2013

O C C O Q U A N
I didn't want to drop into this thread asking "what camera should I buy on a $2000 budget" but that Blackmagic camera looks awfully appealing. I'm pretty much just starting out on my first job and this lines up with my budget. Unfortunately I don't have a ton of camera or lens knowledge yet due to limited resources. Should I go for the Blackmagic or is there better options for the price? If the Blackmagic is worthwhile, which should I get, EF or MFT? While on that topic, what would be an appropriate decent lens that doesn't cost a lot?

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

...Still lacking in a few serious ways...

Where is the camera lacking? Again, I'm new to actually looking for cameras that aren't some $200-300 thing you can buy at Wal-mart, so I have no idea.

BeavisNuke
Jun 29, 2003

dashKADE posted:

I didn't want to drop into this thread asking "what camera should I buy on a $2000 budget" but that Blackmagic camera looks awfully appealing. I'm pretty much just starting out on my first job and this lines up with my budget. Unfortunately I don't have a ton of camera or lens knowledge yet due to limited resources. Should I go for the Blackmagic or is there better options for the price? If the Blackmagic is worthwhile, which should I get, EF or MFT? While on that topic, what would be an appropriate decent lens that doesn't cost a lot?

Where is the camera lacking? Again, I'm new to actually looking for cameras that aren't some $200-300 thing you can buy at Wal-mart, so I have no idea.

If you're new to the game the BMCC is an unforgiving camera, and the $2000 price does not scratch the surface of what it takes to really get it up and running and usable. I would budget at least 4000-5000 if you want it. Probably the BMCC Pocket would be better for you, with this lens and some decent sound gear: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/865111-REG/Panasonic_H_HS12035_Lumix_G_X_Vario.html

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
Can any of you tell me how the Kino BarFly 400 stacks up to the Diva-Lite 401? We're looking to add to our lighting kit and the BarFly's intrigued me, but there is no where local where I can take a look at one. It'll mainly be for mobile talking head interview type shoots, lots of small offices and conference rooms.

dashKADE
Apr 8, 2013

O C C O Q U A N

BeavisNuke posted:

If you're new to the game the BMCC is an unforgiving camera, and the $2000 price does not scratch the surface of what it takes to really get it up and running and usable. I would budget at least 4000-5000 if you want it. Probably the BMCC Pocket would be better for you, with this lens and some decent sound gear: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/865111-REG/Panasonic_H_HS12035_Lumix_G_X_Vario.html

This is why I ask questions, so I avoid making very costly mistakes. Thank you very much, I didn't even bother looking into the Pocket. I'm sure my employer will be unimpressed but happy to be saving money. Although I had no clue a lens could cost so much. I had no doubt that Ultra Deluxe Diamond Encrusted Hollywood lenses would cost obscene amounts but I figured I was looking at maybe a few hundred for an appropriate lens. Thanks to the Pocket I'd be spending less as a whole though, and I'm certain I'd be more than happy with the lens. Once again, thank you very much.

If anyone else has some opinions on Blackmagic cameras, please do share. Lens recommendations too.

Oh, and one more thing! How would the Pocket do in low-light conditions? I don't have any reason to believe the project I am purchasing a new camera for will need good low-light performance but since I get to keep the camera as part of my payment, I might use it under those conditions later. I've had to shoot two student films with a refurbished $200 camcorder in the dead of night with only a few shop lamps that were set up 30 feet away at the director's insistence.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

dashKADE posted:

If anyone else has some opinions on Blackmagic cameras, please do share. Lens recommendations too.

Oh, and one more thing! How would the Pocket do in low-light conditions? I don't have any reason to believe the project I am purchasing a new camera for will need good low-light performance but since I get to keep the camera as part of my payment, I might use it under those conditions later. I've had to shoot two student films with a refurbished $200 camcorder in the dead of night with only a few shop lamps that were set up 30 feet away at the director's insistence.

What will your camera be used for? Sporting/concerts, interviews, narrative work, run+gun documentaries? These are all different scenarios and Blackmagic cameras would be great for some and horrible for others.

The reason the narrative folks like me are jizzing over the Blackmagic cameras is because they record in formats that let us manipulate the colors very well. So if I shoot a scene and I want to brighten it or darken it or make it more blue, I can do that to a better extent that previously attainable in this budget range. But if you were using the camera to take videos of houses for insurance purposes or something, this wouldn't be the best camera to use.

No one can recommend a camera until we know what it will be used for.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I recommend the GH3 and 12-35 2.8 BevisNuke recommended as I'm selling a set in the buy/sell thread. It's clearly the best camera for your purposes.

From the test footage I've seen it looks like the pocket cinema camera does pretty OK in low light. It also has an active mount so you could use that Vario X lens's image stabilization. Really, it'd help to know what it's gonna be for.

dashKADE
Apr 8, 2013

O C C O Q U A N
Short Answer: Interviews and following the interviewees around.

Long Answer: Interviewing recovering drug addicts, their families, doctors, etc. Lighting would be anything from however people have their rooms set up (and whether they want a bunch of lights crammed in) to a nice bright doctor's office. Other than sitting in a chair and talking, there would of course be footage of them going about their business, I would presume primarily in the day, unless the producer wants to try filming them at night.

However, following this project, I will be going back to making short narrative films until the next job comes by, and that could be another documentary style project or a narrative.

powderific posted:

I recommend the GH3 and 12-35 2.8 BevisNuke recommended as I'm selling a set in the buy/sell thread. It's clearly the best camera for your purposes.

Looks nice to me, I'll do a bit of research and bring up the options to my producer. Right now no work has begun and I won't get funds until he finalizes a bunch of things. Based on what he's previously said, it would be about two or three weeks until I get the money and filming will actually begin.

SquareDog
Feb 8, 2004

silent but deadly

dashKADE posted:

Although I had no clue a lens could cost so much. I had no doubt that Ultra Deluxe Diamond Encrusted Hollywood lenses would cost obscene amounts but I figured I was looking at maybe a few hundred for an appropriate lens.

This lens,

Costs over $22,000

And you need five or six of them in various focal lengths to make a usable set.

and this,

Costs over $70,000

But it zooms from 24mm - 290mm and maintains an f/2.8 the whole way through (and weighs 25 lbs.).

Not that you'll need any of that. :)

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
http://business.panasonic.co.uk/professional-camera/camera-recorder/ag-hpx371

We just bought this. It's wonderful and I don't really have anything else to add other than the fact that holy poo poo is that one finicky focus range. If you sneeze on the ring the shot goes soft.

We've tried playing with the back focus as well as it's still out sometimes when it looks ok to the naked eye. Looking at the shot on a proper monitor really shows off how finicky it is.

Anybody else using one of these? We previously had HPX 191s so that's why we got this one, same recording media and workflow etc.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
We have the US version, the 370. It is finicky as hell with focus, the one bit of advice I have is it works better if you keep it open, if you've got too much light just up the ND filter. Anything past f/5.6 or so and it starts to get really soft.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

SquareDog posted:

Costs over $70,000

But it zooms from 24mm - 290mm and maintains an f/2.8 the whole way through (and weighs 25 lbs.).

Not that you'll need any of that. :)

Love the 12-1, more or less becoming the new standard for the stuff I do, that or the Alura 18-80 if we need wider/bit faster. Big improvement over the old Angenieux HR 25-250 that was the old standard, although thats a lot easier to handle.

Walnut Crunch
Feb 26, 2003

We're building a 360 rig for a projection installation we're doing and we're currently spec'ing cameras. We're trying to keep our budgets down and that's difficult as we need 7 cameras.

We've been experimenting a bit with our d800 and if we were to go full frame with a 24mm lens it would work out pretty well.

Doing the rig with d600's would be about $15000 grand which is a stretch. Gopros would have too much distortion. That leads us to something like the GH3, or pocket cinema, or...anyone have some good suggestions?

We're built around nikon and panasonic gear so that's why we're leaning to the nikon glass

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

Walnut Crunch posted:

Gopros would have too much distortion.

For what its worth you can shoot them in medium and narrow modes. Those might just be sensor crops though.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Walnut Crunch posted:

We're building a 360 rig for a projection installation we're doing and we're currently spec'ing cameras. We're trying to keep our budgets down and that's difficult as we need 7 cameras.

We've been experimenting a bit with our d800 and if we were to go full frame with a 24mm lens it would work out pretty well.

Doing the rig with d600's would be about $15000 grand which is a stretch. Gopros would have too much distortion. That leads us to something like the GH3, or pocket cinema, or...anyone have some good suggestions?

We're built around nikon and panasonic gear so that's why we're leaning to the nikon glass

What about D3200 or D5200? Maybe with a Tokina 11-16 or Rokinon 14mm. GH3 or G6 wouldn't be a bad choice either but wide lenses are less available. You could use the Olympus 12mm f2 but they're $750.

Walnut Crunch
Feb 26, 2003

Seems the 5500's and any nikon crop body lacks aperture control in video mode. That's kind of surprising.

What's amazing is with our 800 and just rotating it, the stitches work incredibly well. It's not the way we'd go, but I just find it surprising that for hacking around, we can get good results.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Is there a good resource for finding LA based steadicam ops? What's the typical day rate run?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Walnut Crunch posted:

Seems the 5500's and any nikon crop body lacks aperture control in video mode. That's kind of surprising.

What's amazing is with our 800 and just rotating it, the stitches work incredibly well. It's not the way we'd go, but I just find it surprising that for hacking around, we can get good results.

D600 doesn't have it either. It's stupid. You have to turn off live view, adjust aperture, and then go back into live view.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

dashKADE posted:

Short Answer: Interviews and following the interviewees around.

Long Answer: Interviewing recovering drug addicts, their families, doctors, etc. Lighting would be anything from however people have their rooms set up (and whether they want a bunch of lights crammed in) to a nice bright doctor's office. Other than sitting in a chair and talking, there would of course be footage of them going about their business, I would presume primarily in the day, unless the producer wants to try filming them at night.

However, following this project, I will be going back to making short narrative films until the next job comes by, and that could be another documentary style project or a narrative.

Looks nice to me, I'll do a bit of research and bring up the options to my producer. Right now no work has begun and I won't get funds until he finalizes a bunch of things. Based on what he's previously said, it would be about two or three weeks until I get the money and filming will actually begin.

For documentary, handheld interview etc. in the ~$1000 price range I recommend the Canon XA10. Killer stabilization, 2x XLR ins, remarkably noise-free even at high gain. I wouldn't shoot a ~film~ on it but those are always going to be pretty different cams. They just came out with the XA20 which shoots uncompressed video, I haven't used one personally but they're a little over 2k and might be a solid upgrade.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I dunno, if I knew I was going to be doing a lot of available light indoor stuff I think I'd want something more along the lines of a DSLR. I have an XF300 and it's a great camera, but it's very noticeably more noisy than my DSLR's in even low-ish light situations.

A smug sociopath
Feb 13, 2012

Unironically alpha.
Now that the Blackmagic Cinema camera had a price drop, I'm seriously starting to consider getting it. It seems pretty much perfect for me as I'd use it mostly on indie filmmaking. Someone here mentioned you'd essentially need more like 4000-5000 bucks to actually get it up and running, but I'm guessing that includes lenses etc. I'm thinking of replacing my 550D with an EF mount BMCC, since I have about 20 EF lenses with filters etc, covering focal lenghts from 10mm to 400mm and all the shoulder mounts, tripods, gliders etc. I need. What are the essentials I'd need to pick up along with the camera body in my case? I'd wager at least a couple of SSD:s and an external battery, anything else?

Ninja edit: Originally I was torn between getting BMCC or 5D3, but after using the latter I'm really not at all fond of the images it produces. The compression is awful.

BeavisNuke
Jun 29, 2003

A smug sociopath posted:

Now that the Blackmagic Cinema camera had a price drop, I'm seriously starting to consider getting it. It seems pretty much perfect for me as I'd use it mostly on indie filmmaking. Someone here mentioned you'd essentially need more like 4000-5000 bucks to actually get it up and running, but I'm guessing that includes lenses etc. I'm thinking of replacing my 550D with an EF mount BMCC, since I have about 20 EF lenses with filters etc, covering focal lenghts from 10mm to 400mm and all the shoulder mounts, tripods, gliders etc. I need. What are the essentials I'd need to pick up along with the camera body in my case? I'd wager at least a couple of SSD:s and an external battery, anything else?

Ninja edit: Originally I was torn between getting BMCC or 5D3, but after using the latter I'm really not at all fond of the images it produces. The compression is awful.

If you have tons of lenses you should be good there. I would recommend to start with 2 Sandisk 240gb SSDs and one or two of these batteries:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/887730-REG/switronix_powerbase_70_battery_pack.html

or

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/922934-REG/bescor_bcs_bmepic_bm_epic_battery_charger.html if you do live event type shooting

Keep in mind the BMCC is way heavier than your 550, so tripods and shoulder mounts you like now may not work that well with it.

A smug sociopath
Feb 13, 2012

Unironically alpha.
Thanks!
I actually bought all of my tripod/rig equipment with a bit of a weight overkill for my 550D so that when I'd upgrade they'd be still usable. Though of course I'll need to get more weights for my jib set up and such, I doubt I'll need to completely overhaul anything.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

A smug sociopath posted:

Hey T2i -> BMCC bro.

If you plan on shooting in RAW, I'd pick up 4x240GB Sandisk SSDs. I'm kinda paranoid about drive failure so I'm going this route instead of 2x480GB. Either way will give you about 2 hours of shooting capacity. That necessitates some kind of DIT setup if you're shooting all day, so a laptop and either a thunderbolt or USB3 SSD dock (and a few terrabytes of space either on the laptop or via external harddrive). A Macbook Air/Pro would have the added utility of letting you use Ultrascope if you wanted to.

Then you need to consider longer term data storage. I'm leaning towards building a 4 bay Raid 5 system with 9TB of space. I've priced it out on Amazon to a little under $700. External battery solution would be good, but I'm waiting for something a little more polished than what I've seen out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What do you do for backups with that big of array? Have a full second one? Or maybe just backups for individual projects?