Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Dr. Tough posted:

I'm a little surprised basketball isn't more popular than football in some of those midwestern states.

You might be right about Indiana, but most of that area is Big 10/Big 12 country, where football always comes first no matter how bad the team is. Basketball comes out on top only if your state's flagship school has a very strong basketball program and a very weak football program (KY, NC, CT, KS, AZ). California is probably a combination of UCLA and Lakers fandom.

khwarezm posted:

I'm more surprised about Latvia and Lithuania myself.

Basketball is huge in Latvia and Lithuania, as well as the Balkans. There is a good 30 for 30 documentary called "Once Brothers" that detailed the tragic relationship between Vlade Divac and Drazen Petrovic, who played together for the Yugoslav national basketball team until the civil war pitted them against each other.

Speaking of loaded sports maps:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
That world sports map is bad because they don't give percentages of popularity for sports or how the hell they even came to those conclusions.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

Rhesus Pieces posted:

You might be right about Indiana,

Indiana has Notre Dame in it, so I think that one would pretty much explain itself.

Ogantai
Apr 21, 2003

Full of bologna

Australian Football is missing. :colbert: Also, NSW and QLD should be rugby, not cricket.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

Interesting that Iran moved away from Facebook.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

Ogantai posted:

Australian Football is missing. :colbert: Also, NSW and QLD should be rugby, not cricket.

Chances are whoever did this isn't Australian and didn't know about the regional divisions between sports the way they did in the US, hence just labelling the whole country as Cricket.

In reality, the two states in the northeast would be rugby, while the rest of the country would be The Sport Too Cool For The Rest Of The World To Understand.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

tractor fanatic posted:

Interesting that Iran moved away from Facebook.

Facebook is/was blocked in Iran.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

"I can't wait until cancer inevitably chokes the life out of Curt Schilling."

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Speaking of loaded sports maps:

why_new_englanders_hate_CT.jpg

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

Guavanaut posted:

If by that you mean "they allowed black people to take part in polls" then yes, otherwise no. Rugby has always had more of an association with white South Africans, who are only about 10% of the population.

Well, in fairness the map didn't actually have a title. I thought it was about revenue, not based on a survey.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

platedlizard posted:

Personally I'm curious about why table tennis is apparently so popular in China.

I wish I knew the methodology behind the map... or what the map was even showing? Is it event attendance? Number of teams? In terms of nebulous 'popularity', I would think basketball is way bigger than table tennis in China.

Qotile Swirl
Aug 15, 2011

Alone In the Dark, A ground breaking horror game.

Protocol 5 posted:

why_new_englanders_hate_CT.jpg

(The maps is from Discover New England, the semi-official tourism bureau for the region. In 2010, Connecticut dramatically slashed its tourism budget and refused to pay their Discover New England dues. Discover New England responded thus.)

(Don't ask me what their beef with New Brunswick was.)

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
Re: that sports map: California also has many Asians, who love basketball and merely follow American football as much as everyone else does. LA also has no football team, remember

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Hahaha I wonder if some like European somewhere was planning a trip to Boston and found that and went "wow, Mother Nature certainly created some very straight lines in that region."

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I love Boston as the capital city of glorious New England. It's like a map from an alternate secession happened after the Hartford Convention world. Wherein CT pissed everybody off somehow.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

platedlizard posted:

Personally I'm curious about why table tennis is apparently so popular in China.

Incredibly cheap equipment/facilities. I think basketball is more popular by far in modern China though.

Purno
Aug 6, 2008

Another sports map. This map shows for each country the sport in which its Mens National Team has the highest ranking. It's probably outdated already (made in early June) and not at all accurate concerning popularity but it's still kind of interesting.

Skeleton Jelly
Jul 1, 2011

Kids in the street drinking wine, on the sidewalk.
Saving the plans that we made, 'till its night time.
Give me your glass, its your last, you're too wasted.
Or get me one too, 'cause I'm due any tasting.
Well, Kazakhstan, Saudi Arabia and Libya really are all famous for their world-class water polo.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

LP97S posted:

That world sports map is bad because they don't give percentages of popularity for sports or how the hell they even came to those conclusions.

It's just a public perception thing and not really based on any sort of metric (how the hell would you come up with "percentages of popularity for sports"?), but I don't see much to disagree with there.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ras Het posted:

It's just a public perception thing and not really based on any sort of metric (how the hell would you come up with "percentages of popularity for sports"?), but I don't see much to disagree with there.

You could count* people who are members of associations for various sports I guess.

*) Ask these associations how many members they have, actually.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Jerry Cotton posted:

You could count* people who are members of associations for various sports I guess.

That would e.g. make football the most popular sport in Finland, while it's self-evident that hockey is much more of a big deal.

Skeleton Jelly
Jul 1, 2011

Ras Het posted:

That would e.g. make football the most popular sport in Finland, while it's self-evident that hockey is much more of a big deal.

Association football is such an immensely popular junior sport absolutely everywhere, and doesn't really have the restrictions and required equipment of some other otherwise popular sports that if we counted participation, the map would be even more green that it already is. Even in the US, it's ahead American football, though probably just because female participation in American football is so low. Base/softball and basketball would still be more popular though.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Jerry Cotton posted:

There might be some countries in which that is worthwhile, but in the U.S. whether there are more members of the NBA or the NFL is not going to tell you much. It would probably be golf or tennis by that standard.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

KernelSlanders posted:

There might be some countries in which that is worthwhile, but in the U.S. whether there are more members of the NBA or the NFL is not going to tell you much. It would probably be golf or tennis by that standard.

I would guess it'd actually be bowling if we measured it that way. PBA has a ton of members.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Purno posted:

Another sports map. This map shows for each country the sport in which its Mens National Team has the highest ranking. It's probably outdated already (made in early June) and not at all accurate concerning popularity but it's still kind of interesting.

I like how Mongolia has ice hockey despite being one of the worst countries that bothers to participate in international competitions.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IIHF_World_Ranking

Skeleton Jelly
Jul 1, 2011

rscott posted:

I would guess it'd actually be bowling if we measured it that way. PBA has a ton of members.

Oh yeah, true. I was only looking at team sports. :downs:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Skeleton Jelly posted:

Oh yeah, true. I was only looking at team sports. :downs:

Isn't bowling a team sport?

VVV Didn't know that. I guess everyone I know who bowls just happens to bowl in teams.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Aug 9, 2013

Skeleton Jelly
Jul 1, 2011

Jerry Cotton posted:

Isn't bowling a team sport?

It can be a team sport, but isn't necessarily.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Purno posted:

I can think of like at least four other sports that Norway is better at than hockey and I'm not even Norwegian.

edit: and seriously? North Korea?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

HookShot posted:

I can think of like at least four other sports that Norway is better at than hockey and I'm not even Norwegian.

This is (roughly) measuring that Norway is better at hockey relative to other countries than other sports, not that Norway is better at hockey than other sports absolutely.

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

HookShot posted:

edit: and seriously? North Korea?
North Korea is, based on my googling, only ranked by two world governing bodies in the listed sports - FIFA and the IIHF. They're ranked 110th of 207 by FIFA, and 45th of 48 by the IIHF. So yes, the North Korean men's ice hockey team has the highest international ranking of all of its international men's sports teams.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
^^ haha fair enough then!

Dusseldorf posted:

This is (roughly) measuring that Norway is better at hockey relative to other countries than other sports, not that Norway is better at hockey than other sports absolutely.
Yeah, but if you're going to do that then put cross country skiing or something. Norway is ranked 9th in the world in hockey. You only have to scroll down to the results on this page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIS_Nordic_World_Ski_Championships_2013 to see that cross country skiing is obviously a sport that they are WAY better at relative to other countries.

They bothered to put rugby league for Australia, a sport that like three countries play seriously, don't tell me they couldn't have added a cross country skiing category.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

The politics of map projections

A globe cannot be accurately mapped onto a plane without some kind of distortion. In order to create planar maps of the world, some form of projection is needed, where coordinates on the surface of a sphere are translated into coordinates on the two-dimensional plane. Solving this has been a problem since ancient times, even if ancient maps didn't have to worry about fitting the entire globe, only the portion they were familiar with. The first description of a map projection was by Strabo, who figured the easiest way of doing things was to have all the parallels and meridians as straight lines, perpendicular to each other. He doesn't say how these should be spaced relative to each other, but making each parallel equidistant from each other would result in the equirectangular projection:

Ptolemy was the first to really lay out how to project a map. He created two projections, both of which would be called "pseudoconic" in today's terminology. The first had straight meridians that converged at a point, and concentric circles for parallels (he actually had the parallels start shrinking south of the equator, which is the "pseudo" part and makes it not a true conical projection):

The second had curved meridians, and concentric circular parallels:

Fast forward about a millennium. A Flemish cartographer named Geraldus Mercator develops what becomes known as the Mercator projection:

It's a cylindrical projection, meaning that parallels and meridians are straight lines and perpendicular to each other. What makes it particularly useful in the Age of Exploration, and for navigators in general, is that any course of constant bearing is represented as a straight line. So if a point is directly to the right of another, that means in real life you can plot a course due east between them. Same for north, northwest, or any other direction.

Of course, it's not perfect (by mathematics, no projection can be). The biggest problem it has is area. Note that Greenland is presented as larger than Africa or South America, when in fact it's smaller than Australia. Because of the way that the Mercator projection is set up, sizes at extreme north and south parallels are highly exaggerated. Alaska, Canada, northern Europe, northern Russia, and Antarctica get the worst of it.

In the late 1960s, a German filmmaker named Arno Peters announced that he had created a new, better projection that would end the domination of the Mercator projection:

Unlike the Mercator, the "Peters projection" is equal area, meaning what it sounds like: the relative size of areas on the map is the same as their relative size on the globe. Peters argued that the Mercator map wasn't just inaccurate, it was a politically biased projection. By exaggerating the size of northern latitudes, it placed undue prominence on Europe and the US, and diminished the size (and therefore perceived importance) of the developing world concentrated in the lower latitudes. The Peters projection claimed to fix that. The press identified it as (to quote Wikipedia) "the only 'area-correct' map...[with] 'absolute angle conformality,' 'no extreme distortions of form,' and 'totally distance-factual'." Peters publicly editorialized that cartographers contributed to the cause of European domination by continued propagation of the Mercator map.

Problem is, (political claims aside) none of that is true.

For starters, one has to only look at the map to see how much it distorts distance and angle (in fact, absolute conformal angles are impossible on a flat map, as are the combination of equal area and any of the other claims). It is equal area, but far from the first or only map to be so. Ironically, the least distorted latitudes include those of Europe - so much for a post-European domination map. Furthermore, cartographers had long complained about the popularity of Mercator maps, plenty of projections had been developed to overcome its flaws, and Mercator dominance was not absolute: compromise projections like the Robinson projection were often used in atlases and textbooks. Also, Peters hadn't invented it. It was originally devised in 1855 by James Gall, and had been known as the Gall projection (now often "Gall-Peters").

There is no one catch-all map projection. Something needs to be sacrificed - area, angle, bearing, distance. The question of what map projection is "best" basically comes down to which, for the purposes of the map you're making, are the most important features. The Mercator is great for navigation, bad if you want a relative idea of the size of geographic features; the Gall-Peters works well for the last, but stinks at everything else. Most common map projections used now are compromises, which don't satisfy any of those criteria but may come closer to many of them at once than a map that satisfies just one. For equal area, I like the Eckert:

And for a compromise projection, the Robinson:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Globes, just always use a globe!

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Great post, Lord Hydronium. Does this mean globes are generally accurate for areas and stuff? Are there ways a globe can be biased?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Lord Hydronium posted:

The politics of map projections

Obligatory supplementary material:

What your favorite map projection says about you.

And,

Why are we changing maps?

Personally I think we're overdue for scrapping Mercator. The emphasis on preserving bearings is kind of stupid, since it's almost never the shortest route to get somewhere. Shortest distance is instead given by geodesics, or if you're some sort of rube who hates math or thinks the Earth is a sphere, by Great Circle.

Vegetable posted:

Great post, Lord Hydronium. Does this mean globes are generally accurate for areas and stuff? Are there ways a globe can be biased?

Yes, they are, within the tolerances involved of course. You could bias a globe by making it inaccurate, or a weird shape, but all the projection issues come from transforming a round-ish 3D shape into a flat one. If you dispense with that, half the work is done for you.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Aug 9, 2013

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

quote:

In the late 1960s, a German filmmaker named Arno Peters announced that he had created a new, better projection that would end the domination of the Mercator projection:

Of course it had actually been invented by James Gall more than a hundred years earlier.

Edit: VVVV Yes, Peters' pretense has always rubbed me the wrong way. I didn't mean to direct that at Lord Hydronium.

Anyway, since we're picking favorites, how about a set of orthographic projections? The obvious problem being that you can't see the whole world at once, but locally it's often pretty good.

KernelSlanders fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Aug 9, 2013

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
You should finish reading the post before you want to be snappy like that man.

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.
There are no shortages of projections, a quick look on ArcGIS puts it at a couple hundred. There are system updates every few decades where the center of the world, for example, moves a few feet over and the whole system is redone.

One of my favorites is the state plane system:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_Plane_Coordinate_System

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cartesian_coordinate_system

They basically just make things work in the +,+ side of a graph.

Universal Transverse Mercator (UTM) is a good one for displaying broader areas. They highlight one zone at the expense of others.

The Public Land Survey System divided up most of the West. Previous to this, survey design was done by approximations like "100 feet west from this marker, then 108 feet 95 degrees north, 100 feet east at 80 degrees then back to the original marker." When the West was opened up, they wanted to get people out there and as easily as possible. They created this system to divide up the land.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_Land_Survey_System

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

GreenCard78 posted:

They basically just make things work in the +,+ side of a graph.

False Northings and Eastings are wonderful, wonderful things.