Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
Is there a release date for the US patch? I can't play with anyone with the US version with the JP patched version and I'm not grinding with randoms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Radish posted:

Is there a good guide for what I should be doing as the Elf? It sounds like people say I shouldn't be kicking stuff but I run out of arrows and there isn't much else to do while I gather them back.

You should be kicking. Shoot your arrows and then advance for melee to get some arrows back. I've found the safest method of entry is to jump in and then down kick. From there you can do all sorts of things; slide then dodge out, slide then up-kick, dodge-kick out, etc. The Elf can quickly span huge amounts of the screen kicking people along the way so don't be shy, kick some faces. Learning how to move efficiently has really helped my Elf game. Holdout dagger and backstab are also great for when you run out of arrows.

Bro Nerd Alpha
Aug 27, 2012

going on pussy patrol
I am finding myself continually scrolling the pointer hand over the background to uncover those hidden "shiny" spots. I by no means mind getting more stuff, but It is already becoming tedious. Should I be worrying about it this early into the game ? Just started the underground labyrinth quest.

Or is there a way to make them more obvious without taking a few steps then running the pointer all over ?

EDIT: Well drat, finished the quest and answered my question.

Bro Nerd Alpha fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Aug 8, 2013

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Bro Nerd Alpha posted:

I am finding myself continually scrolling the pointer hand over the background to uncover those hidden "shiny" spots. I by no means mind getting more stuff, but It is already becoming tedious. Should I be worrying about it this early into the game ? Just started the underground labyrinth quest.

Or is there a way to make them more obvious without taking a few steps then running the pointer all over ?
The only things I have ever found this way is trinkets worth a few hundred gold, and I have more gold than I know what to do with, is it ok just to ignore them?

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

The only things I have ever found this way is trinkets worth a few hundred gold, and I have more gold than I know what to do with, is it ok just to ignore them?

I'm pretty sure they add to your score, which means you'll earn more XP.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Quixzlizx posted:

I'm pretty sure they add to your score, which means you'll earn more XP.
I'm overleveled too, and the game is too easy.

edit: I went into a dungeon alone just to make it a bit more challenging (and easier to tell what was going on) and other NPC players just joined me anyway. Given that, what is even the point of resurrecting bones?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Aug 8, 2013

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

It's probably worth doing a bit but not to the extent that you're spending more time tapping on the background than actually playing the game. Just do it while you're eating or waiting for chests/doors to be opened or watching another player do a rune thing. Remember you get a time bonus too.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I don't think I've seen an answer for this, and it may be a dumb question, but can Vita players play online with PS3 owners and vice versa?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Thanks for the tips. A few of us bought this last night and played COOP and I was pretty much just flying over the screen with the elf kicking everything in between arrows but only player 1 got his tutorial so it's good to know what the play style is.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

edit: I went into a dungeon alone just to make it a bit more challenging (and easier to tell what was going on) and other NPC players just joined me anyway. Given that, what is even the point of resurrecting bones?

Go to the tavern and set your other party slots to "No join." I think it's the triangle button.

quote:

I don't think I've seen an answer for this, and it may be a dumb question, but can Vita players play online with PS3 owners and vice versa?

Nope, no cross-play, sadly.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Real shame. I hope it's something they could, and would consider, adding later.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I don't understand how you're over-levelled. I'm barely keeping up with my warrior. I wonder if playing with AI characters for the first half before the stables stunted me or something.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

teethgrinder posted:

Real shame. I hope it's something they could, and would consider, adding later.

I don't understand how you're over-levelled. I'm barely keeping up with my warrior. I wonder if playing with AI characters for the first half before the stables stunted me or something.
I dunno what to say, except that the current main quest is level 10 and I am level 13. Is the game balanced such that you SHOULDN'T do any side quests or anything, if you want to stay at the right level?

edit: and until last night I've always been playing with a full party.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

I dunno what to say, except that the current main quest is level 10 and I am level 13. Is the game balanced such that you SHOULDN'T do any side quests or anything, if you want to stay at the right level?

edit: and until last night I've always been playing with a full party.

I don't think being three levels over at the beginning of the game is really cause for alarm. Being level 10 wouldn't make the game massively more challenging at that point. It's not meant to be. You're still in what is basically the extended tutorial.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

tooooooo bad posted:

I don't think being three levels over at the beginning of the game is really cause for alarm. Being level 10 wouldn't make the game massively more challenging at that point. It's not meant to be. You're still in what is basically the extended tutorial.
Oh, so the difficulty takes a jump up later?

The issue is, I have INCREDIBLE defense and movement abilities. I can run crazy fast, I can double jump and cover huge horizontal distances with jumps, I can dodge, I can air dodge, I can now dodge/airdodge TWICE, I have a parry which causes temporary invincibility, and so on and so forth. Bayonetta and Dante and Ryu Hayabusa would be jealous of my amazon's abilities. There's no reason to use any of that right now. One thing that really bugs me in games is a billion features like that but difficulty that doesn't support it.

edit: also only last night did I find out that I even had extra lives.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Aug 8, 2013

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Quixzlizx posted:

Nope, no cross-play, sadly.

There is cross-save, though, if you end up getting both versions or get to play both versions.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

The issue is, I have INCREDIBLE defense and movement abilities. I can run crazy fast, I can double jump and cover huge horizontal distances with jumps, I can dodge, I can air dodge, I can now dodge/airdodge TWICE, I have a parry which causes temporary invincibility, and so on and so forth. Bayonetta and Dante and Ryu Hayabusa would be jealous of my amazon's abilities. There's no reason to use any of that right now. One thing that really bugs me in games is a billion features like that but difficulty that doesn't support it.

edit: also only last night did I find out that I even had extra lives.

Everything up until I unlocked the stables was easy for me too but I started playing with other people last night and a fight with one of the B route bosses the demon guy who looks just like the Dark Warrior from Shadows over Mystara was pretty long and difficult and everyone in the group ended up dying a couple of times.

e: the levels of all the enemies in the stages jump up when you reach that point too.

see you tomorrow fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Aug 8, 2013

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

Any tips for the Red Dragon? I can get him to under half health but he just does so much damage and my NPC allies blow. Is it better to stay in the first room or move down the corridor?

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

Thievery posted:

Any tips for the Red Dragon? I can get him to under half health but he just does so much damage and my NPC allies blow. Is it better to stay in the first room or move down the corridor?

It's easier to move down the corridor, but you do have limited time there. If you can get him to about half in the main room you can probably finish him in the corridor. Otherwise I'd suggest either getting a real party, or just toughing it out and burning some continues if need be.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

RoyalScion posted:

It's easier to move down the corridor, but you do have limited time there. If you can get him to about half in the main room you can probably finish him in the corridor. Otherwise I'd suggest either getting a real party, or just toughing it out and burning some continues if need be.

Just tried again and did gently caress all to him in the room but around 75% in the corridor. I'll just try and take down a bit more off him at the start then, thanks.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Elf is fun. I took Deadly Boots because I've found myself doing a lot of kicking once I'm out of arrows. Gonna try and find some big DEF boots to equip for that bonus to attack.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yes. The point I'm at is still way easier than I'd prefer, but you'll at least die sometimes.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

tooooooo bad posted:

Everything up until I unlocked the stables was easy for me too

Agreed. Personally, if I were telling people about the game I would just say anything before you get to The Stable/Multiplayer is 'the Tutorial'.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Saint Freak posted:

Agreed. Personally, if I were telling people about the game I would just say anything before you get to The Stable/Multiplayer is 'the Tutorial'.

I dunno im getting tired of "the real game is the post game!" attitude of game makers...

blat blat blat
Apr 20, 2013
I honestly didn't have the hang of quite everything up until probably like an hour or so before unlocking the multiplayer. A lot of that is cause figuring out some more intricate parts of the system is left entirely up to the player. I still really have no idea how the stats work (is this explained somewhere?).

Though it's super dumb that I'd have to put 4-6 more hours into another character if I wanted to use it online. Would be nice if you could just make any new character start right at level 15 or so (basically right at the point where you start the search for the tablets) after beating the game with one character.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Exmond posted:

I dunno im getting tired of "the real game is the post game!" attitude of game makers...

It's not the post-game, it's the mid-game.

It's loving brilliant because goons pubbies can't join at level 1 and poo poo up your game as they learn buttons. TRIAL BY FIRE :black101:

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

blat blat blat posted:

I honestly didn't have the hang of quite everything up until probably like an hour or so before unlocking the multiplayer. A lot of that is cause figuring out some more intricate parts of the system is left entirely up to the player. I still really have no idea how the stats work (is this explained somewhere?).

Though it's super dumb that I'd have to put 4-6 more hours into another character if I wanted to use it online. Would be nice if you could just make any new character start right at level 15 or so (basically right at the point where you start the search for the tablets) after beating the game with one character.

I don't think I agree. Each character has their own ins and outs that take some time to learn the flow of, and being able to start a new one without getting a feel for how they play over time would make it really hard to effectively choose skills. Realistically, you can get to 15 or so in a very short period of time by bringing high level NPCs you've recovered from bones from a higher level character you already have. That's their mechanism to let you level faster on someone new. Still ensures you've got to go through the lower level stuff to play a bit, and you get appropriate gear, since you might not keep your things from lower level.

OrganizedInsanity
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Exmond posted:

It's a mix though. Considering my first instinct was to play online directly after the tutorial as sorcerer and I rarely give two shits about online co-op, its a great idea to make everyone competently get down the basics before throwing them together.

By the time you get to the online mode, you're either pretty good playing solo, decent enough in a group, or at the very least realized how to get out of everyone's way if you suck

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

Two little things people might not know - you can throw Daggers by holding forward and hitting triangle (which if you hit them in the back, counts as Backstabbing for the Elf) and you can roll barrels by sliding into them rather than just meleeing them.

I knew about the dagger thing for ages but I only just found out about the barrels while replaying the subterranean fortress.

Trampy Vampy
Mar 21, 2008

It don't mean a thing,
If it ain't got that swing.

blat blat blat posted:

I still really have no idea how the stats work (is this explained somewhere?).

IIRC, if you point at the stat on your stats screen (the same way you find those sparkly hidden items in dungeons), it'll give you a brief explanation.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Thievery posted:

Two little things people might not know - you can throw Daggers by holding forward and hitting triangle (which if you hit them in the back, counts as Backstabbing for the Elf) and you can roll barrels by sliding into them rather than just meleeing them.

I knew about the dagger thing for ages but I only just found out about the barrels while replaying the subterranean fortress.
Neat tip! Hopefully someone will save it so it doesn't get lost to future pages.

blat blat blat
Apr 20, 2013

Noblesse Oblige posted:

IIRC, if you point at the stat on your stats screen (the same way you find those sparkly hidden items in dungeons), it'll give you a brief explanation.

Ahhh cool. Well it's mostly stuff I would have guessed, tho I figured Luck affected drop rates too. I guess the thing I mean moreso is how everything scales, which is something you can't really pick up unless you try different stat bonus items in a dungeon. It doesn't have a system like Diablo where they really clearly and immediately show you how increasing a stat affects your damage or defense, so it's mostly trial and error, which takes time (making that intro period a lot more useful).

I wind up sticking with items that give direct percentage increases to damage and defense, but maybe 8 INT is better for spells than +6% damage, I have no drat idea.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Also for Samurai Sanders, I think:

You can 'part ways' with resurrected lowbie trash at the Tavern.

Not sure if you came across that or not. :)

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

This game so pretty ;____ ;

Thievery posted:

Just tried again and did gently caress all to him in the room but around 75% in the corridor. I'll just try and take down a bit more off him at the start then, thanks.

I did by locking my party & going alone. The ballista take out huge chunks of hp when its scaled for 1 person.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
This game is gorgeous! Even low level shields look amazing:

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Going in with a party of 2 or even solo makes quite a few bosses a hell of a lot easier. Trying to take down the water cave's B boss with a full party of AIs was pretty much impossible but fighting it with a single amazon AI that was actually helping out made its HP deplete like crazy.

Lock all your slots at the inn and maybe choose a powerful partner to help out and go nuts.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

Yeah I locked all my slots just a minute ago while running around doing sidequests and I kick the poo poo into things way easier.

Elf tips!

I don't know about you guys, but I run by holding square + forward. When you release square, you do a kick. If you use Circle instead of square, you can run, but then do a leap-turn-bow shot. I'm sure most of you know this though. Thing is, when you get clone shot, it fires 2, then 3, then 4 arrows. They go pretty far too, so you can use it as a way to slaughter things really fast. It makes mincemeat out of groups, too.

That's it that's my elf tip.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Splitting on this with a bro today, both going in pretty much blind. It looks too good to pass up for $25. I can't decide what to play though. I was thinking Elf but not if there's billions of them online, and the thread says Wizard sucks for solo play. Am I going to be bored as hell if I take a Fighter, and if so should I go Dwarf instead? I'd do Amazon but ugh the design.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Million Ghosts posted:

Splitting on this with a bro today, both going in pretty much blind. It looks too good to pass up for $25. I can't decide what to play though. I was thinking Elf but not if there's billions of them online, and the thread says Wizard sucks for solo play. Am I going to be bored as hell if I take a Fighter, and if so should I go Dwarf instead? I'd do Amazon but ugh the design.

I picked Fighter when I went in blind and:

But, honestly, still a lot of fun jumping around and slicing poo poo up :unsmith:

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

nftyw posted:

Going in with a party of 2 or even solo makes quite a few bosses a hell of a lot easier. Trying to take down the water cave's B boss with a full party of AIs was pretty much impossible but fighting it with a single amazon AI that was actually helping out made its HP deplete like crazy.

Lock all your slots at the inn and maybe choose a powerful partner to help out and go nuts.

My rule of thumb is: never take any sorc/wizard/elf NPCs, they're terrible and waste all their good spells/arrows on common mobs. What you really want are allies that can take damage and deal good damage while just spamming attacks, which is the rest of classes, since the AI is pretty terrible at anything besides facetanking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Million Ghosts posted:

Stop being such a ninny, if you wanna go and smash and do nothing but smash then use the goddamn amazon.

• Locked thread