Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE
Guanghua

http://www.newegg.com.tw/ :ohdear: It's gonna launch right about as I'm leaving Taiwan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oz_Bonus
Sep 9, 2002

At a deadly pace it came from... outer space!
What's the name of that micro-brew bar in Tucheng?

USDA Choice posted:

Guanghua

http://www.newegg.com.tw/ :ohdear: It's gonna launch right about as I'm leaving Taiwan.

Don't wait for this to ever open. The box in the middle used to say that it was opening in June, but that got rewritten when it never happened. Hell, the copyright date hasn't even been updated since last year. It's dead in the water.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Guanghua Market/光華商場 is what you want.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Oz_Bonus posted:

Some Chinglish nonsense like "Manual Wheat Beer". I should probably learn the Chinese names one of these days.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Oz_Bonus posted:

Don't wait for this to ever open. The box in the middle used to say that it was opening in June, but that got rewritten when it never happened. Hell, the copyright date hasn't even been updated since last year. It's dead in the water.
I think it'll still open, but I don't think it will bring crazy low prices; I poked around on the Chinese one, and their prices are higher than market prices here.

Also, the selection is appalling; they have a whopping 7 boards pop up when searching for Z87. :stonk:

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

USDA Choice posted:

Guanghua

Don't be excited it'll be a copy of the Chinese version of Newegg and not the North American one. IE toasters, microwaves, humidifiers... and computer parts roughly the same price or more expensive as any computer market you can go to.

That said if you need a toaster, microwave or humidifier Chinese newegg is pretty good.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
For computer poo poo price scouring:
  • Autobuy is one of the main chain shops(they're 3F in Guanghua, big red sign with a scooter) that tends to have some of the best prices(you'll want to cross check though).
  • PChome24 is good for checking prices and a better selection; it usually has the most expensive prices which is bad but useful to know, but they also have next day shipping and a 7 day actual return policy, which is rare.
  • Ruten is for everything else you can't find otherwise, also better prices than pchome24. It's buying from individuals rather than a single store though.
There's also senfu.com.tw(another chain shop with a confusing site, lousy prices online) and tw.auctions.yahoo.com(kind of a shitfest, better to just go to a store). If any of you know a better place, let me know as I'm about to pull the trigger on a new rig.

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Hey guys, I learned Chinese so that I can write shame in another language

Magna Kaser posted:

That said if you need a ... humidifier ...

I'm pretty sure Taiwan is its own humidifier :suicide:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I guess a humidifier in the winter might be useful.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

hitension posted:

I'm pretty sure Taiwan is its own humidifier :suicide:

You need one to counteract the AC you have running 24/7, of course.

But yeah newegg kinda sucks over here. My old roommate bought one of those terrible Keurig coffee things off of it though and when it was all hosed up out of the box they immediately sent a new one, so at least their good service and speedy shipping has carried over.

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE
Well I'm quite disappointed to learn about their inventory. I don't think it's a vapor site though, and I'll eat my Internet crow if they're not up by the new year.

Anyhow, for anyone planning to come to poker, be sure to eat before you come. Probably won't be food available tonight.

USDA Choice fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Aug 7, 2013

mrgoodtrips
Jun 15, 2013
Can anyone in Taipei enlighten me on the ESL circuit? Over at Dave's there's talk that the market is drying up, Taiwan is a shell of its former self, blah-blah etc. I'm curious because I'm looking to set up shop somewhere in early 2014. The (tentative)plan was to teach in Taipei for a year then head to the mainland (Chengdu) for a year.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

USDA Choice posted:

I liked how url asked the dealer to queue up another stack of $100 since he knew he was going to lose all the money he was about to push all-in.

Mostly I like it because that money went to me.

That post should have had a [[[TRIGGER WARNING]]] or something attached.

For big computer places I'd say don't overlook the older guanghua type place next to TMS/Mitsukoshi called NOVA.
I'd wager that there is no better place on earth to supply your VCD habit.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

url posted:

That post should have had a [[[TRIGGER WARNING]]] or something attached.

For big computer places I'd say don't overlook the older guanghua type place next to TMS/Mitsukoshi called NOVA.
I'd wager that there is no better place on earth to supply your VCD habit.
Actually, the mall to the left of Taipei Main Station's Shinkong Mitsukoshi (some play on words to make it sound like Akihabara, like Little Akiba or something) has some interesting shops in the basement now that are more like proper stores, but have their mobo boxes and poo poo out in the open so you can check them out and stuff instead of bugging a hawker behind a counter. I never got to look around much there before, so I don't know how prices compare to other places(probably better at Guanghua).

Nova's okay; they have a lot of the same chain shops as Guanghua.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

mrgoodtrips posted:

Can anyone in Taipei enlighten me on the ESL circuit? Over at Dave's there's talk that the market is drying up, Taiwan is a shell of its former self, blah-blah etc. I'm curious because I'm looking to set up shop somewhere in early 2014. The (tentative)plan was to teach in Taipei for a year then head to the mainland (Chengdu) for a year.

I'm not in Taipei, but Taiwan is pretty universal in regards to ESL. To answer your questions:

No the market has not totally dried up. What many of those people are likely referencing is what happened about ~5 years ago when the economy went South. Before roughly 5 years ago there were less foreigners here, and many more English schools. It was almost a sort Wild West situation then as you could easily get jobs (legal or not), pretty much anywhere you wanted anytime you wanted.

Then the government started cracking down on people working illegally, and the economy tanked. I remember when I first moved here there were closed down English schools all over Taichung, and it was clear the smaller schools generally couldn't compete anymore. Now you also have more foreigners coming to Taiwan because they can't find decent jobs after college. So there is more competition for less work.

Basically what you can take from this is that schools here are no longer desperate. There is plenty of full-time work to be had here, but schools generally take a hard-line "this is how our school works" approach, and if you don't agree with that they will hire the next person in line who will.

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

This is a looong shot but does anyone here have any ideas about the market on the other end of the spectrum, for experienced professionals?
My partner wants to join me in Taiwan but we're not sure what kind of job he could get:

BS in Chemistry/Math, MS in Chemistry, MBA w/marketing focus from top 30 USA schools,
~10 years work experience, ~3 of which in management
Basic/survival Mandarin

We found plenty in Shanghai but I'm probably going to be in Taiwan for a while. Desired work function would be something like Regional Marketing Manager or Director of R&D.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

hitension posted:

This is a looong shot but does anyone here have any ideas about the market on the other end of the spectrum, for experienced professionals?
My partner wants to join me in Taiwan but we're not sure what kind of job he could get:

BS in Chemistry/Math, MS in Chemistry, MBA w/marketing focus from top 30 USA schools,
~10 years work experience, ~3 of which in management
Basic/survival Mandarin

We found plenty in Shanghai but I'm probably going to be in Taiwan for a while. Desired work function would be something like Regional Marketing Manager or Director of R&D.

LinkedIn is your best bet for real people jobs non-ESL jobs. I have myself located in Chengdu, but I have had the odd thing or two pop up in Taipei. I'm doing marketing as well.

Ailumao fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Aug 8, 2013

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

please let me show you screenshots of all The Ladies swooning over me

Magna Kaser posted:

LinkedIn is your best bet for real people jobs non-ESL jobs. I have myself located in Chengdu, but I have had the odd thing or two pop up in Taipei. I'm doing marketing as well.

I see someone does not ascribe to the Bill Hicks view of marketing as one of the most disgusting of the heads of the free market hydra, the most disgusting probably being the banking and finance head. I would rather have a thousand lazy, unmotivated ESL teachers running around than just a single marketing goon trying to shove unnecessary, superfluous products their company makes in my face and the face of everyone else solely in order to drive up the profits and satisfy that hallowed bottom line. And appealing to the subconscious monkey impulses of me and every other human being (read: consumers) to make said profit. I love "The Century of the Self" documentary for its careful articulation of the effects marketing has had on not only people as consumers but also as citizens in supposedly democratic societies. In short, gently caress the focus group. (Please watch the documentary if you have time, and please don't let me derail this thread again!)

mrgoodtrips posted:

I just want to echo what HappyHelmet said. There are certainly jobs out there if you look, but the ESL scene here is not what it once was. I heard the median salary hasn't changed in over a decade. Of course, ESL teachers still make loads more than the average Taiwanese worker, so there is that. I think the people at Dave's are probably lamenting the fact that ESL teaching is more competitive here and slowly turning into actual work. I imagine they are all looking for the easiest, highest-paying gigs with the least amount of responsibility so they can vacation a bunch, party a bunch, and just live easily on nothing other than having the fortunate accident of being able to speak a language. Also, Taiwanese people are slowly entering the ESL market. They are studying for their TEFLs and whatnot abroad, and then returning to Taiwan and preparing other Taiwanese to go abroad and get their TEFLs. In fact, I think the majority of test prep teachers on the island are Taiwanese and not foreign. Foreigners are more commonly found in basic cram schools, kindergartens, private bilingual schools, and the occasional public school or university. You can get a job working at HESS, Joy, or any other big branch fairly easily. The school might not be in an ideal spot in Taipei, but it's Taipei and the MRT is quite extensive and getting more extensive every year. If you want to teach adults and not kids, I'd recommend checking out David's English Center in Taipei. I worked at the Hsinchu branch and they were fair enough.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Pandemonium posted:

I see someone does not ascribe to the Bill Hicks view of marketing as one of the most disgusting of the heads of the free market hydra, the most disgusting probably being the banking and finance head. I would rather have a thousand lazy, unmotivated ESL teachers running around than just a single marketing goon trying to shove unnecessary, superfluous products their company makes in my face and the face of everyone else solely in order to drive up the profits and satisfy that hallowed bottom line. And appealing to the subconscious monkey impulses of me and every other human being (read: consumers) to make said profit. I love "The Century of the Self" documentary for its careful articulation of the effects marketing has had on not only people as consumers but also as citizens in supposedly democratic societies. In short, gently caress the focus group. (Please watch the documentary if you have time, and please don't let me derail this thread again!)
Holy poo poo son, go rub one out or something, y'all got hella pressure in there.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
He's back :allears:

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

He sure marketed that documentary well.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

I thought Bill Hicks would be a big hit. My bad. Still, not a huge fan of people denigrating others and their career or life choices (you know you did that in a very off-handed way, Mr./Ms. Magna), especially when said person is a proverbial leech on the global economy. I am surprised none of the ESL teachers have a problem with being talked down to like that. This thread is mostly ESL teachers, right?

Also, why wouldn't you include Bill Hicks along with the documentary, Magna? I plugged the hell out of both of them. And I plugged Bill Hicks first no less!

Also, I am not trying to sell anything, and no one is paying me. I don't see promoting some quality informational material as synonymous with promoting cheaply-made bicycles or water filters or whatever it is you do in Chengdu. Even if the value or legitimacy of the information is questionable. There is no profiteering taking place.

In all seriousness, I would be interested in hearing what your job entails, Magna. I know a few guys who work for international companies in Taiwan, and their jobs are even bigger jokes than teaching ESL. I have to imagine they would most certainly fit under whatever rubric you have for "real people jobs", though. All they do is answer e-mails and visit manufacturers, with wining and dining always accompanying said visits. One guy gets a salary paid for by his country's government and has, in the last six months, spent about a month and a half in said country vacationing or attending "team building workshops," two weeks cycling around the island, a random Friday off to do more cycling, and is planning a week-long trip to Vietnam in the later summer or early fall. I think his salary is close to $80,000 or $90,000. His job is literally what I described above. He answers e-mails and visits factories. That's it. Oh, and he has no boss in Taiwan. Obviously he is not in marketing, but that is my experience with business-oriented non-ESL jobs. I would seriously be interested in hearing what a marketing job in Chengdu entails.

Meanwhile, I am trudging along ghost-writing books every two or three months for like $30 - $40,000 a pop and helping Taiwanese students game the American college-entrance process by translating their Chinese essays.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Pandemonium posted:

I thought Bill Hicks would be a big hit. My bad.
Most of us are adults.

quote:

In all seriousness, I would be interested in hearing what your job entails, Magna. I know a few guys who work for international companies in Taiwan, and their jobs are even bigger jokes than teaching ESL. I have to imagine they would most certainly fit under whatever rubric you have for "real people jobs", though. All they do is answer e-mails and visit manufacturers, with wining and dining always accompanying said visits. One guy gets a salary paid for by his country's government and has, in the last six months, spent about a month and a half in said country vacationing or attending "team building workshops," two weeks cycling around the island, a random Friday off to do more cycling, and is planning a week-long trip to Vietnam in the later summer or early fall. I think his salary is close to $80,000 or $90,000. His job is literally what I described above. He answers e-mails and visits factories. That's it. Oh, and he has no boss in Taiwan. Obviously he is not in marketing, but that is my experience with business-oriented non-ESL jobs. I would seriously be interested in hearing what a marketing job in Chengdu entails.
"Still, not a huge fan of people denigrating others and their career or life choices". *posts a million words passive-aggressively denigrating other people's careers*

quote:

Meanwhile, I am trudging along ghost-writing books every two or three months for like $30 - $40,000 a pop and helping Taiwanese students game the American college-entrance process by translating their Chinese essays.
No-one cares how much you make. More money does not equal better than.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

TetsuoTW posted:

"Still, not a huge fan of people denigrating others and their career or life choices". *posts a million words passive-aggressively denigrating other people's careers*

Good point, TetsuoTW. I did put my foot in my mouth there. I should have made a more qualified statement. Or else just not said that. Anyway, I remember getting in an argument in one of the earlier iterations of this thread back in 2008 or so when I was an ESL teacher. There was a guy who worked with logistics and shipping for a Taiwanese company and was openly mocking the whole ESL field. I guess I carry a grudge toward these real-people-job-holders who look down on what is ideally (but not always) an altruistic and beneficial field of teaching English and enabling citizens of non-English speaking countries to better themselves, their economy, and their society. To that end, I welcome the influx of Taiwanese English teachers. I hope Taiwan will at some point become a place like Singapore where English-language instruction is entirely localized. Unfortunately, the level of fluency I have seen in the "prestigious" private schools and national publishers leads me to believe this won't happen any time soon.

I know a lot of foreigners use ESL jobs in Asia and elsewhere to booze, party, and gently caress their way through life (or a few years of life at least), but I also know there are a lot of serious, dedicated people out there trying to educate.

Maybe I should say I despise the concepts of marketing and advertising because they reduce humans to dollar signs and do whatever they can to squeeze that money out of them. It is an amoral if not immoral practice. I know the reality is companies require people to do it, but I still think it is a lovely way to earn a living and would never consider doing it myself. So yeah, I guess I should take back that statement you quoted from me. I should say I don't like people denigrating educators, even fake ones.

TetsuoTW posted:

No-one cares how much you make. More money does not equal better than.

Making $30,000-40,000 every three-ish months is good money? That was not me bragging. No, that was the opposite. I make less money now than when I was a full-time ESL teacher. Not sure where you got that I was bragging. Did the whole "trudging along" bit not make that clear? My point was that I am basically writing books for Taiwanese publishers with little or no credit and little compensation. The business-world people I know are simply answering some e-mails and raking in the monies. Taiwanese businesspeople are the same, too. A private student I taught last year owns a fixed-gear bicycle company. Its function is to be nothing more than a glorified middle-man between the factories in Taiwan and China that make the bikes and the bike companies abroad that buy the bikes. His job: place orders at the factories for these non-Chinese-speaking companies, check the factories every now and again, and have his secretary respond to any questions or concerns the overseas customers may have. Oh, and he is responsible for wining and dining the foreigners that visit Taiwan. If any one of these overseas companies had a single person that could speak and read Chinese, his company would be rendered useless. This company, with four total employees, makes at least $1,000,000 NTD in profit a month, according to him. He probably gives $50,000 of that to the two secretaries and splits the rest with his partner. He is 30-something, has a nice BMW, two apartments, and is looking at buying a house. Oh, and obviously he does everything in his power to make sure the companies are unable to contact the factories directly. Some people may see this guy as a successful businessman who has found his niche and is possibly worth emulating. I see him as a leech that has latched on to an industry and is contributing nothing of value.

I don't love Bill Hicks, but I think he was an alright guy with some interesting things to say. Is he too angsty for you?

Edit: Oh, I meant $30-40,000 NTD per book, not USD. Sorry!

Pandemonium fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Aug 9, 2013

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Lots of manufacturing jobs or electronics needs plastics for housings and other water proof environments. Automotive is good too but I suspect most of those jobs are in eastern China. Even if you are based in Taiwan, I think lots of regional managers need to do a lot of travelling to the mainland.

Pandemonium posted:

I thought Bill Hicks would be a big hit. My bad. Still, not a huge fan of people denigrating others and their career or life choices (you know you did that in a very off-handed way, Mr./Ms. Magna), especially when said person is a proverbial leech on the global economy. I am surprised none of the ESL teachers have a problem with being talked down to like that. This thread is mostly ESL teachers, right?

Also, why wouldn't you include Bill Hicks along with the documentary, Magna? I plugged the hell out of both of them. And I plugged Bill Hicks first no less!

Also, I am not trying to sell anything, and no one is paying me. I don't see promoting some quality informational material as synonymous with promoting cheaply-made bicycles or water filters or whatever it is you do in Chengdu. Even if the value or legitimacy of the information is questionable. There is no profiteering taking place.

Magna just spends too much time in the gym and posts pictures in front of the bathroom mirror every six hours. He has a handsome chiseled jaw line and bulging thighs, all gay men in China proposition to him all the time and he translates that into request for quotes and return businesses.

Tight rear end gives you tight profit margins!
Actually, he just writes algorithms to parse all complaints and enquiries into automated responses and keeps every one happy.

He's so over paid that makes you mad right? He doesn't even work! But he doesn't get to wine and dine.

That's my job, partying with communist party members, going to European trade shows and eating Chinese food everyday overseas. Oh I also pack in a tonne of instant noodles and hangout with my coworkers who aren't into foreign culture.

well I also had to help out handling political melt down and worker uprisings against Japanese clients visiting the plants when a fishing boat landed near some stupid rocks

Actually all we ever do is surf on the forums and watch anime.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Whoa helldump 2013 here in the Taiwan thread.

For starters I'm not in Taiwan, though I did study there for a good long while back in twenty-aught-eight. I'm in another province of China :smuggo:

I posted to give a possible answer to hitension as I'm in a similar field, have similar-ish education (and way the gently caress less experience) as her person in question, and have seen marketing and management related jobs pop up on linkedin from time to time in Taipei and Gaoxiong. It was probably a bad post anyway cause she probably checked linkedin pretty much first.

I did ESL for years. Because I live in China, most of my friends are ESL teachers. I know ESL teachers who give like 5 (or more!) shits and really work to get everything they can out of every class while legitimately caring about their students' success.

It was meant to be tongue in cheek and a joke, "private English instruction in Asia vs real people job" is something I've heard since I was deep in ESL myself. Sorry for offending ya and anyone else I might have.

Actually I'm gonna go back to watching Dota 2 streams before work. Is Dota even a little popular in Taiwan? I'm pretty curious, because the whole Sinosphere seems hugely in to it outside of Taiwan. There are Chinese teams, Singaporean teams, Malaysian teams made up pretty much entirely of Chinese-Malaysians, HK teams... but I've never seen a Taiwanese player or team. I have seem Taiwanese LoL players and teams though, now that I think about it.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
E: well great, awful.app decided to continue with an edit rather than a reply, summary of previous comment was in regards to Pandemonium's "please don't let me derail this thread Bill Hicks Bill Hicks Bill Hicks Bill Hicks" and "I guess I have a grudge" no poo poo

Magna Kaser posted:

Actually I'm gonna go back to watching Dota 2 streams before work. Is Dota even a little popular in Taiwan? I'm pretty curious, because the whole Sinosphere seems hugely in to it outside of Taiwan. There are Chinese teams, Singaporean teams, Malaysian teams made up pretty much entirely of Chinese-Malaysians, HK teams... but I've never seen a Taiwanese player or team. I have seem Taiwanese LoL players and teams though, now that I think about it.
I'm betting there are some Taiwanese dotin' teams, but it will mainly become popular only if a Taiwanese team starts managing to do well. Last weekend I stopped by Guanghua and there was a bunch of stuff set up and a pretty decent crowd out oohing and ohhhhhhhing to some broadcasted streams of what I think was LoL based on the decorations. It could have been DoTA though, I didn't look very closely nor can I really tell.

duckfarts fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Aug 9, 2013

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Pandemonium, you need to chill out and not take things so seriously. Taiwan is a ridiculous and cool not-country where weird (to us foreigners) things can happen every day. No point in getting worked up over it. That's why I like it.

Also maybe read your posts one more time before posting and ask yourself "is this really condescending and/or backhand insulting?" because goddamn.

Anyway, poker the other night was a lot of fun! Even though I got my rear end thoroughly kicked.

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Pandemonium posted:

Mr./Ms. Magna

I am unbelievably happy that someone actually posted something like this (instead of just assuming "Mr") but then it had to be a troll account, whyyy :(

e. not arguing over the rest, not worth it, thanks for input

hitension fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Aug 9, 2013

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

caberham posted:

Tight rear end gives you tight profit margins!

This was a really weird and inappropriate post all around but I wanna single out this part and point out that tight profit margins are a bad thing.

Also for the English teacher v. real job chat, English teachers are usually fun people and some of them really care about their jobs and some of them take it easy and treat it as less than a real job. Both are cool options. What I'm always raging about in the Red China thread is that too many people in the mainland take horrible, lovely jobs that pay less than $12k USD a year with no benefits, no vacation pay and miserable conditions without negotiating at all.

I'm not sure if that's a problem in Blue China, but if it is, consider yourselves yelled at. If it's not, you can join me in a struggle session against the spineless cowards across the strait.

Also I have a real job and get paid vast amounts of money to do basically nothing. Suck it, Pandemonium.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Pandemonium posted:

Good point, TetsuoTW. I did put my foot in my mouth there. I should have made a more qualified statement. Or else just not said that. Anyway, I remember getting in an argument in one of the earlier iterations of this thread back in 2008 or so when I was an ESL teacher. There was a guy who worked with logistics and shipping for a Taiwanese company and was openly mocking the whole ESL field. I guess I carry a grudge toward these real-people-job-holders who look down on what is ideally (but not always) an altruistic and beneficial field of teaching English and enabling citizens of non-English speaking countries to better themselves, their economy, and their society. To that end, I welcome the influx of Taiwanese English teachers. I hope Taiwan will at some point become a place like Singapore where English-language instruction is entirely localized. Unfortunately, the level of fluency I have seen in the "prestigious" private schools and national publishers leads me to believe this won't happen any time soon.

I know a lot of foreigners use ESL jobs in Asia and elsewhere to booze, party, and gently caress their way through life (or a few years of life at least), but I also know there are a lot of serious, dedicated people out there trying to educate.

Maybe I should say I despise the concepts of marketing and advertising because they reduce humans to dollar signs and do whatever they can to squeeze that money out of them. It is an amoral if not immoral practice. I know the reality is companies require people to do it, but I still think it is a lovely way to earn a living and would never consider doing it myself. So yeah, I guess I should take back that statement you quoted from me. I should say I don't like people denigrating educators, even fake ones.

Making $30,000-40,000 every three-ish months is good money? That was not me bragging. No, that was the opposite. I make less money now than when I was a full-time ESL teacher. Not sure where you got that I was bragging. Did the whole "trudging along" bit not make that clear? My point was that I am basically writing books for Taiwanese publishers with little or no credit and little compensation. The business-world people I know are simply answering some e-mails and raking in the monies. Taiwanese businesspeople are the same, too. A private student I taught last year owns a fixed-gear bicycle company. Its function is to be nothing more than a glorified middle-man between the factories in Taiwan and China that make the bikes and the bike companies abroad that buy the bikes. His job: place orders at the factories for these non-Chinese-speaking companies, check the factories every now and again, and have his secretary respond to any questions or concerns the overseas customers may have. Oh, and he is responsible for wining and dining the foreigners that visit Taiwan. If any one of these overseas companies had a single person that could speak and read Chinese, his company would be rendered useless. This company, with four total employees, makes at least $1,000,000 NTD in profit a month, according to him. He probably gives $50,000 of that to the two secretaries and splits the rest with his partner. He is 30-something, has a nice BMW, two apartments, and is looking at buying a house. Oh, and obviously he does everything in his power to make sure the companies are unable to contact the factories directly. Some people may see this guy as a successful businessman who has found his niche and is possibly worth emulating. I see him as a leech that has latched on to an industry and is contributing nothing of value.

I don't love Bill Hicks, but I think he was an alright guy with some interesting things to say. Is he too angsty for you?

Smoke weed every day.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Pandemonium posted:

Making $30,000-40,000 every three-ish months is good money?

I saw this again because TetsuoTW quoted it. I missed the 'every three months' part before. So I just pulled out the old Calculator and xe.com and determined that you earn almost US$5500 a year? No wonder you're so bitter. Please seek help or, dare I say, get a real job? You're obviously under a lot of financial stress.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Bloodnose posted:

I saw this again because TetsuoTW quoted it. I missed the 'every three months' part before. So I just pulled out the old Calculator and xe.com and determined that you earn almost US$5500 a year? No wonder you're so bitter. Please seek help or, dare I say, get a real job? You're obviously under a lot of financial stress.
Actually he's probably OK, going by the "gaming the college admissions system" thing. One of my jobs is the same thing, and while it's super lovely pay in the off season, it balances out OK.

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

I've got private students, an outstanding $1,000,000 NTD owed to me for a previous job, an ongoing project writing GEPT practice tests, and a few other options that may or may not be worth pursuing. I should be able to stop translating these un(der)qualified students' essays in the near future. Even if I can't afford to, though, I feel like I have to refuse to do any more of that sort of translating. It's such a lovely, morally debunk position to put yourself in simply for money. I am not doing anyone any favors. In fact, I am doing these Taiwanese students a disservice by misrepresenting their level of English fluency to places like UC Berkley, University of Georgia, and University of Michigan. The worst by far are the essays I translate for students applying to Master's or PhD programs. Of course, if the student I am helping is going into the hard sciences, where poor English is pretty much expected from him or her, then I don't feel nearly as lovely.

I see and hear about a lot of people staying in China / Taiwan for years, learning the language, then moving on to some position in the business world. My friends and private students all try to push me in that direction. One private student offered to set up an interview at Nike for me. He works in the shoe industry and Nike has a big office here in Taichung. I can't live with the idea of working for a multinational corporation. It's just exploitation, exploitation, exploitation. You guys do know a lot of the factories are moving to Indonesia, Vietnam, Cambodia, and the rest of SE Asia because the labor market there is even cheaper and more exploitable than China. Working for a company--in any position at all--feels...anti-empathetic, I guess. I can't get into that "gently caress them, I got mine" mentality that is required. My conscience won't let me pretend to be an investor and help Chinese dupe other Chinese like some foreigners do; it won't let me go on TV and make a mockery of myself (I'm looking at you, 夏克立); and it won't let me hop on to a corporation or company and ride that gravy train. It just doesn't compute for me when people happily volunteer to sell their "souls" for a paycheck.

I would still like to know what you do in Chengdu, though, Magna (it is Mr. I think).

And DotA2 is non-existent here in Taiwan. It's all about League (League of Legends / LoL).

P.S. None of this is meant to be directed at individuals. It's the systems in place, the structures, whatever you want to call them, that I have a problem with. I got turned on to a pretty obscure social theory recently called "ponerology" that I have found explains well the situation with the financial and business sectors as they have evolved.

quote:

This is the idea that a power structure, over time, becomes twisted by the work of relatively few sociopaths, until the entire structure and everyone in it behaves and thinks like a sociopath as well. The idea that profit is the only thing that matters, that employees must be paid as little as possible, is a purely pathological judgement. Pathological in this context means a decision that is overtly made on 'rational' grounds only. Much like the Randian philosophy of objectivism. I bet plenty of people will complain about that definition, I'm no expert in pathological mindsets. But having a perfection definition of 'pathological' isn't necessary to recognise what's wrong. A pathological person will think any action is logical if they get an immediate benefit. The consequences for others are irrelevant, and so are the long-term costs. They are someone else's problem.The culture that currently surrounds the world of finance and business is exactly like this. The system itself has become pathological, as a result of years of sociopaths wielding great power. Now, even a decent humane person, once they get sucked into the corporate world, will find themselves making utterly pathological decisions and being congratulated for it by other decent humane people. These people are not sociopaths, but we have internalised the idea that you have to behave like a sociopath to achieve anything.
Recovering the system from this point is a long and difficult process, and right now there's nobody even willing to say there's a problem. Which is pathological in itself.

This is something a stranger on the internet wrote, but I think it goes a long way toward explaining where I am coming--whether you agree or disagree.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
It sounds like you have a conscience that is well-suited to NGO work, social justice stuff. Have you thought about something the Peace Corps or Americorps?

By the way, gently caress you for implying that all of us sheeple are complicit in exploitation. :yayclod:

Pandemonium
Dec 25, 2004

I am complicit too. We all are. I just try my best not to get dragged in too deep, you know? Like, I know there is some shady stuff going on with the mining of the raw materials necessary for electronics as well as their manufacturing, but I still have a smart phone and a computer. All I can do is try my best not to buy anything new until I absolutely have to. And not work for Apple. A commercial I saw on TV the other day drove the point home for me even more. It was a grandma running around talking to each person in her family, and they were all sporting brand-new phones. I say gently caress you to these companies and their advertising that pushes people into a culture of wanton consumption :colbert:.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Whatever, all life is going to end on earth by like 2031. Gotta get my new iPhone before that.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Pandemonium posted:

In fact, I am doing these Taiwanese students a disservice by misrepresenting their level of English fluency to places like UC Berkley, University of Georgia, and University of Michigan. The worst by far are the essays I translate for students applying to Master's or PhD programs.
If it helps, the schools know. They already expect and account for that. I've asked.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Pandemonium posted:

None of this is meant to be directed at individuals. It's the systems in place, the structures, whatever you want to call them, that I have a problem with.
I think there's a place for airing out your random frustrations and grievances called forumosa, you should check that place out.
bill hicks

During lunch, the question came up of where to get poutine in Taipei; Forkers is really good for it, but are there any other places that serve it at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

duckfarts posted:

During lunch, the question came up of where to get poutine in Taipei; Forkers is really good for it, but are there any other places that serve it at all?
Whalen's, down on Anhe more or less across the road (north a bit, IIRC) from Carnegie's. I've only eaten there once and thought it was pretty mediocre, but they do have poutine.