Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

suztan posted:

The reason I ask about the Shinkansen Experience is because I'm the type of person who gets really excited about fast trains. Wikipedia says that the Chuo Shinkansen is supposed to have public test rides but Google gave me nothing, so I was considering a brief Shinkansen trip to fill that desire. But if it doesn't get up to speed going to Odawara, I'd rather save my money.
I did the Tokyo-Odawara kodama trip back in March just so I could use the Shinkansen. It does actually get up to a decent speed between Odawara and Yokohama, however this is only for something like 5-10 minutes. This, along with no stops between Yokohama and Odawara means this is absolutely by far the fastest way to get there; 35 minutes from Tokyo Station to Odawara (3800 yen) vs. 68 minutes on an express train (3000 yen). The comedy option Tokaido Line local train takes over 100 minutes but is at least cheap. That being said it really is just a fast train ride, it's surprising how quiet and comfortable everything is for a first timer.

However you should go to Odawara if you've got the time and budget, the castle there is awesome.

Also the Chuo Shinkansen is a long way from doing anything with the public. First shakedown tests were a couple of months ago (Does it fit on the track? Yes! Can it move a bit? Yes!), and the first speed runs will be going on this September.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Stumbling Block posted:

Well the biggest Book-off store in Japan is located there. It's ok. It didn't seem that big to me at all, must be because the store is made up of multiple levels, 7 I think, and extremely narrow walk space to pack more shelves in.
Tend to get packed with people just hanging around reading books off the shelves though.

I just went there the other day, hoping I could find Slam Dunk 7-10 (complete edition). As you'd expect, they have a large selection of "otaku" manga, but the Book Off near Ueno Hirokoji and the other out by Inaba or wherever actually have a better selection of the complete editions of various manga. I think the one by Ueno Hirokoji just has a better selection in general as opposed to a ton of duplicates of the same stuff.

Rabite
Apr 13, 2002

Dynamiet Rab
What is it with the people reading directly in front of the shelves.
Thanks for clogging the lane, Taro.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
Would getting a King whetstone (Japanese company I think) be cheaper in Japan or should I just get one from the US?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

DontAskKant posted:

Would getting a King whetstone (Japanese company I think) be cheaper in Japan or should I just get one from the US?

My gut instinct says "everything except for Paperwhites and food is cheaper in the US."

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

tarepanda posted:

My gut instinct says "everything except for Paperwhites and food is cheaper in the US."

The way I read that says food is cheaper in Japan. Is it possible for someone to do a search for me? I'm looking for a King 1000/6000 combination waterstone. If it's under $39 I'll wait till I get to Nagoya.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

DontAskKant posted:

The way I read that says food is cheaper in Japan. Is it possible for someone to do a search for me? I'm looking for a King 1000/6000 combination waterstone. If it's under $39 I'll wait till I get to Nagoya.

Food is cheaper, usually you pay $15 here for some terrible quality Japanese food.

There are a bunch of different versions of 1000/6000 stones on amazon, but its around $39. Really almost anything can be had online these days except maybe clothes, I save room in my bags for food honestly.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Uncle Jam posted:

Food is cheaper, usually you pay $15 here for some terrible quality Japanese food.

There are a bunch of different versions of 1000/6000 stones on amazon, but its around $39. Really almost anything can be had online these days except maybe clothes, I save room in my bags for food honestly.

Ah, prepared Japanese food. I'd be buying online shipping in America and hoping my friend has room to bring it back to me in Korea. It's $90 in Korea.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Has anyone rented a mobile WiFi from this company before?

http://www.globaladvancedcomm.com/pocketwifi.html

Looks like a great deal with great speeds. 7900 YEN for 10 days for the 75 Mbps model. Any opinions?

WHATEVS SISTER
Feb 20, 2003

Now here comes the fun part...

Busy Bee posted:

Has anyone rented a mobile WiFi from this company before?

http://www.globaladvancedcomm.com/pocketwifi.html

Looks like a great deal with great speeds. 7900 YEN for 10 days for the 75 Mbps model. Any opinions?
Just got back from a trip having rented the quicker model from them. Used it all over the major Tokyo Metro area and also took it up to Niigata for the Fuji Rock Festival. It worked quite reliably for the whole trip, minus a few quick restarts when it acted wonky. No regrets here, but in our case the advertised speeds were more or less bullshit. In the city, we occasionally hit ~10-15mbps up/down but usually it hovered around 5-7. It was fine for getting directions/occasionally grabbing a youtube or whatever though. It definitely was a reliable and nice thing to have, but we never saw crazy rear end fast speeds. Still glad I rented the more expensive model for the extra battery life since we were out of the hotel and away from outlets for pretty long periods of time.

Picking it up and returning it is just about the easiest thing in the world with airport pickup, as long as you don't accidentally check your bag with the return envelope like I did :shobon: I ended up paying 350 yen (gently caress da USPS/UPS/FedEx) for a new envelope/shipping at the airport post office and I didn't get any angry e-mails after so that ended up okay as well I guess

Andro
Jun 30, 2010
Hey Japan goons, I need your help!

A group of us are heading to Japan for two weeks. We're going to Summer Sonic and then travelling around a bit. I was hoping someone could check out our itinerary and maybe offer some advice.

Tokyo 8/9-9/12: Studio Ghibli, Mt. Fuji, Robot Bar, Parasite Museum, and the Giant Gundamn.

Hiroshima 8/12-8/17: Atomic sites and maybe a trip to Miyashima.

Kyoto: 8/20~: still open and unplanned.

We've all been to Japan before so our itinerary is kind of odd. We're actually looking quirkier attractions in these cities because we've seen most of the main tourist sites. If there are any strange bars (fetish, Nazi cosplay, etc.) that would be acceptable for non-Japanese speaking foreigners to visit, we'd really like to know. Also, any kind of strange museums or off the beaten track stuff you can think of would be really helpful. Sorry if this is a strange question, but finding things like this with no Japanese ability is really difficult.

I'm not sure if there are any boxing fans here, but our group has a few of them and we really want to see the fight on August 12th at Korakuen Hall in Tokyo. We've already e-mailed a company that supposedly deals with foreigners, but they never replied. If we need to book tickets early, how would we go about doing it? Here's a link to the fight: http://boxrec.com/date_search.php?yyyy=2013&mm=08&dd=12

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Andro posted:

Tokyo 8/9-9/12: Studio Ghibli, Mt. Fuji, Robot Bar, Parasite Museum, and the Giant Gundamn.

What's the Robot bar and Parasite museum?

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Mister Roboto posted:

What's the Robot bar

Perhaps he's talking about this place: http://www.shinjuku-robot.com/pc/

Andro
Jun 30, 2010

Mister Roboto posted:

What's the Robot bar and Parasite museum?

Found both of those on Atlas Obscura:
http://www.atlasobscura.com/places/kabukicho-robot-restaurant

http://www.atlasobscura.com/places/meguro-parasitological-museum

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Andro posted:

If there are any strange bars (fetish, Nazi cosplay, etc.) that would be acceptable for non-Japanese speaking foreigners to visit, we'd really like to know. Also, any kind of strange museums or off the beaten track stuff you can think of would be really helpful. Sorry if this is a strange question, but finding things like this with no Japanese ability is really difficult.

There is a penis museum in Gunma. It's way off the beaten track.

Part of the admissions fee is an old woman fondling your junk and pronouncing judgment.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

tarepanda posted:

Part of the admissions fee is an old woman fondling your junk and pronouncing judgment.

I completely believe this, so please tell me if you're joking.

Andro
Jun 30, 2010

tarepanda posted:

There is a penis museum in Gunma. It's way off the beaten track.

Thanks so much, we'll definitely be going. I think I'm going to accidentally forget to tell my friends about the copping a feel part.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Bloodnose posted:

I completely believe this, so please tell me if you're joking.

http://www.gunmajet.net/travel/gunmas-penis-museum-jessie-zanutig/

quote:

One-by-one she made her way around the group copping a feel of the guys in the vicinity, explaining to each one their reproductive ailment. “Big body, small penis!” she said to one poor, now emotionally damaged, young Japanese man. She made her way to our party and despite all hesitation and attempts to guard ourselves, she grabbed us three in our private areas and explained that we are, “too dry”, “too loose”, and “with bad technique”.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Andro posted:

Hiroshima 8/12-8/17: Atomic sites and maybe a trip to Miyashima.

Kyoto: 8/20~: still open and unplanned.

If you have the rail pass I'd suggest you spend two days in Hiroshima and then come hang out in Fukuoka for a few days. You'll enjoy yourself much more and I'll show you around. I've never been to Hiroshima but almost everyone I have talked to that has been there is quite meh about it. Hiroshima is full of old, bitter people. If you can come on a Thursday and leave on Sunday I can promise you a great time.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Ned posted:

If you have the rail pass I'd suggest you spend two days in Hiroshima and then come hang out in Fukuoka for a few days. You'll enjoy yourself much more and I'll show you around. I've never been to Hiroshima but almost everyone I have talked to that has been there is quite meh about it. Hiroshima is full of old, bitter people. If you can come on a Thursday and leave on Sunday I can promise you a great time.

5 days in Hiroshima does seem like way too much out of 2 weeks. One full day in Hiroshima and one full day of Miyajima is plenty. I agree - continue on to Kyushu with your JR Pass, especially since they've opened new shinkansen tracks in Kyushu now.

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

Ned posted:

WTF Ned, I thought you moved to Tokyo?

I don't share Ned's feelings on Hiroshima, but 5 days is rather excessive. Miyajima is really nice, but you only really need part of a day to see it and go up the mountain, and a day to see the sites in Hiroshima proper.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

teddust posted:

WTF Ned, I thought you moved to Tokyo?

I don't share Ned's feelings on Hiroshima, but 5 days is rather excessive. Miyajima is really nice, but you only really need part of a day to see it and go up the mountain, and a day to see the sites in Hiroshima proper.

Yes, but something not good happened so I came back to Fukuoka for a bit. If I stay in Japan I'll most likely end up back in Tokyo but I'm looking at my options right now.

Like I said, I've never been to Hiroshima but my roommate went with a bunch of friends last weekend and they were so happy to be back in Fukuoka after their trip. I was walking home and I ran into two of the guys that went and one is full Japanese and the other is half Japanese and they didn't have many nice things to say. I've heard very nice things about Miyajima but that is an afternoon trip. Hiroshima proper will probably only depress you - especially at this time of the year.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Ned posted:

Yes, but something not good happened so I came back to Fukuoka for a bit. If I stay in Japan I'll most likely end up back in Tokyo but I'm looking at my options right now.

Like I said, I've never been to Hiroshima but my roommate went with a bunch of friends last weekend and they were so happy to be back in Fukuoka after their trip. I was walking home and I ran into two of the guys that went and one is full Japanese and the other is half Japanese and they didn't have many nice things to say. I've heard very nice things about Miyajima but that is an afternoon trip. Hiroshima proper will probably only depress you - especially at this time of the year.

I'm very interested in what you have to suggest about Fukuoka! What things can be done there? I'll be there for a while visiting some other friends there. Do you have any suggestions for hostels and places to stay for a night?

Andro
Jun 30, 2010

Ned posted:

Thanks for the advice about Hiroshima, I guess we'll cut that short and go elsewhere.

I ran Fukuoka by the group, but were all living in Korea and have been there already. Also, we're not getting the rail pass with Shinkaisen.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Andro posted:

Thanks for the advice about Hiroshima, I guess we'll cut that short and go elsewhere.

I ran Fukuoka by the group, but were all living in Korea and have been there already. Also, we're not getting the rail pass with Shinkaisen.

I'm pretty sure the JR Pass is all-or-nothing, meaning it comes with all shinkansen except Nozomi and Mizuho. If you're not getting a pass at all, Tokyo to Hiroshima to Kyoto and back is pretty loving expensive unless you're doing overnight trains or buses or something. Possibly even more than the JR Pass itself if you're doing ala cart shinkansen for those routes.

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009
The only problem I find with shinkansens is the lack of luggage storage place. You'd be fine if you just have a overnight or duffle bag as you can cram those around your seat area but for large luggage it'd be horrible. Now do that for 3 hours.

I've still yet to use the luggage delivery service I tend to see around the place. Can't be cheap though I think.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
But the trains are never full, lots of free space! Don't the seats also swivel allowing you to stash extra space? Or is that only the keisei sky liner?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

caberham posted:

But the trains are never full, lots of free space! Don't the seats also swivel allowing you to stash extra space? Or is that only the keisei sky liner?

Depends on the line/day/time.

I ride the shinkansen from Takasaki to Tokyo some Sunday nights and it's always crammed to capacity, usually with all the reserved seats taken, the free seats taken, and people standing in the hall.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

gently caress two days, I lived in Hiroshima for a year and my advice for the tourist is don't spend more than a whole day there.
Seriously, do the peace park in the morning and Miyajima for lunch/afternoon, then have okonomiyaki maybe stop by DeoDeo (since there basically aren't any in Tokyo) and drink a bit at night and you're done. Hiroshima castle is boring.

To be really honest unless you're :qq:atomic bomb:qq: I suggest skipping the peace park/bomb museum altgoether, but those two continue to be a highlight of most (Americans') trips.

You'll definitely be bored off your rear end with 5 days, especially if you've been here before.

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Aug 9, 2013

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

Andro posted:

Trip plans

If you want to hit the Ghibli Museum and haven't yet, make sure to get tickets in advance (if you can—I've heard you need considerable lead time but I'm not positive that's true) since they only do reserve tickets ahead of time.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Gonna throw out my Usagi-shima rec for Hiroshima. I still haven't been yet, but keen to go.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Stumbling Block posted:

The only problem I find with shinkansens is the lack of luggage storage place. You'd be fine if you just have a overnight or duffle bag as you can cram those around your seat area but for large luggage it'd be horrible. Now do that for 3 hours.

I've still yet to use the luggage delivery service I tend to see around the place. Can't be cheap though I think.

You can usually shove a suitcase behind a seat at the back of the car. I did it a couple of weeks ago and everything went fine.

Mister Roboto posted:

I'm very interested in what you have to suggest about Fukuoka! What things can be done there? I'll be there for a while visiting some other friends there. Do you have any suggestions for hostels and places to stay for a night?

Basically food, booze, people. I like to go to Yatais and I know a bunch of cheap restaurants with good food. If you go out partying on Saturday night you'll meet a lot of friendly people. As far as actually touristy things Fukuoka doesn't have that many. There are some interesting buildings in town and dazaifu is fine for a day trip but if you like seeing things Fukuoka is a bit disappointing. However, if you like ramen Fukuoka is great.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
I am doing a train trip to Fukuoka and was planning on stopping in Hiroshima and staying there one night. Are people saying Hiroshima can done in a day?

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

I say yes. See 5 posts ago...

Also if anyone needs drink tickets for Stella (a club in Fukuoka) I still have two in my wallet, gratis.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

zmcnulty posted:

I say yes. See 5 posts ago...

Also if anyone needs drink tickets for Stella (a club in Fukuoka) I still have two in my wallet, gratis.

If you're offering, may I please use both of those? I'll be in the area in about 3 weeks.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Certainly but I'm in Tokyo

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

zmcnulty posted:

Certainly but I'm in Tokyo

May I have your email?

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Sure, my username@gmail

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

Am I going nuts, but I remember reading a post from someone saying they got a shinkansen umbrella from a JR shop somewhere, but for the life of me can't find it with search. Just trying to get the in-laws to get our son some shinkansen toys of some kind, and they don't know where to get them (yep, I have already said yodobashi anywhere, but probably best luck in shinjuku or akihab).

Or was that in the LAN thread. I may be going nuts :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Wibbleman posted:

Am I going nuts, but I remember reading a post from someone saying they got a shinkansen umbrella from a JR shop somewhere, but for the life of me can't find it with search. Just trying to get the in-laws to get our son some shinkansen toys of some kind, and they don't know where to get them (yep, I have already said yodobashi anywhere, but probably best luck in shinjuku or akihab).

Or was that in the LAN thread. I may be going nuts :)

I think they sell Shinkansen products at the department stores along with Pokemon and etc. Lots of elementary school kids use them. I don't think I've ever seen an umbrella, though. They also sell little model Shinkansen toys actually ON the Shinkansen, on that little cart that they push through the aisle

• Locked thread