Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Ajaxify posted:

So it looks like a POD will cost me $2800 to use. Is this the best I can expect? I feel like I could ship everything I own via UPS or Fedex for less than that and just buy a replacement of anything that breaks.

UPACK charged us, I think, $1500 to move two pods from Atlanta to Boston. I guess you are going from MI to CA? That is considerably further, but the rate still seems high to me. I would check UPACK - in addition, you might want to drop by a post office and pick up their 'Change of Address' packet. The last time I checked, it came with a bunch of coupons that included one for UPACK. So that might help.

How much stuff are you actually moving? You can ship an 18" cube weighing 30lbs using USPS for $35.

Something else to think about is that if you are flying, you can check luggage for $20-$40, and those can be pretty big bags. Some airlines let you check a lot of bags (Delta will take 10 if they have space for it!) and so you could actually bring a shitload of stuff with you that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Speaking of washing machines... can anyone recommend a good stacked (or apparently 'unitized' according to Home Depot) washing machine/dryer combo that's very quiet? My hookups are in my kitchen which opens into my living room so it's loud as hell and super obnoxious when I'm trying to watch TV or listen to music or whatever.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Consumer Reports probably has a good list of washers. I think most of the recent models are very quiet. My friend has front loaders and I can't hear them 6 feet away until it plays its like victory/finished tune. And his are a few years old.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

Ajaxify posted:

So it looks like a POD will cost me $2800 to use. Is this the best I can expect? I feel like I could ship everything I own via UPS or Fedex for less than that and just buy a replacement of anything that breaks.

Maybe this is a bad idea or won't work for you, but since you want to give the car to your brother, why don't you make a road trip out of it? You could pack up the car, drive to your new place together, and when you get there he can drive the car back home. He helps you out in exchange for getting a free car :)

$2800 sounds like a LOT of money. You could definitely rent a little pull-behind trailer and drive there for cheaper. Let's say you're driving (and obviously I have no idea) 5,000 miles round trip. If your car got 20mpg and gas was $4 a gallon, you'd spend around $1000 on gas. Throw in maybe $500 for staying in hotels during the trip, buying food etc. and it would still put you WELL under the $2800 it would cost for a POD.

That's just my idea but I really like road trips so it sounds like fun to me.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Ashcans posted:

UPACK charged us, I think, $1500 to move two pods from Atlanta to Boston. I guess you are going from MI to CA? That is considerably further, but the rate still seems high to me. I would check UPACK - in addition, you might want to drop by a post office and pick up their 'Change of Address' packet. The last time I checked, it came with a bunch of coupons that included one for UPACK. So that might help.

How much stuff are you actually moving? You can ship an 18" cube weighing 30lbs using USPS for $35.

Something else to think about is that if you are flying, you can check luggage for $20-$40, and those can be pretty big bags. Some airlines let you check a lot of bags (Delta will take 10 if they have space for it!) and so you could actually bring a shitload of stuff with you that way.
I would guess the reason it's so expensive is that he's moving from Detroit (someplace lots and lots of people are moving away from) to San Francisco (someplace lots of people are moving to). If it were reversed, it would probably be much cheaper.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Is it usually okay to have packages shipped to your superintendent if you can't be there during the day to sign for them?

john mayer
Jan 18, 2011

Rated PG-34 posted:

Is it usually okay to have packages shipped to your superintendent if you can't be there during the day to sign for them?

I would ask your super. He probably has stuff to do too.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Marmalade Marinade posted:

Anyone have a good idea of where I could go to find art to put on my wall? Or just... neat stuff in general to put on my wall? I'm not really a visual person and am totally fine with blank walls, but people are usually weirded out by that. I don't really like the idea of going to Ikea for art, since it's so generic and bland. Apartment Therapy seems more like a general interior decoration site. I looked at Ebay, but it's just a bunch of dumb bullshit.

I'd like to try and stay away from posters, they wind up annoying me after a while.

What's your budget? I can post some recommendations (I might have before actually if you want to search through my posts in this thread), but it really depends how much you can spend.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

You can always try thrift stores, it's not unusual for them to have any number of paintings or prints for sale cheap. The downside is that these are almost always paintings of Jesus, bowls of fruit and flowers, or Kincaids. But they're cheap! And sometimes you might luck into something neat.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Ashcans posted:

You can always try thrift stores, it's not unusual for them to have any number of paintings or prints for sale cheap. The downside is that these are almost always paintings of Jesus, bowls of fruit and flowers, or Kincaids. But they're cheap! And sometimes you might luck into something neat.

And even if they're awful prints, it can be a good way to get decent frames for cheap - which can be super expensive otherwise.

Zorklar
Jul 19, 2007
Am gonna be moving into a 3 story townhouse overlooking a big bay of water here pretty soon. Just happened to find it on Craigslist and signed up for it immediately after viewing

Marmalade Marinade
Feb 20, 2013
Inside tank of fuel is not fuel but love,
Above us, there is nothing above
But the stars above.

Xandu posted:

What's your budget? I can post some recommendations (I might have before actually if you want to search through my posts in this thread), but it really depends how much you can spend.

Well, all at once I don't want to go over $100-150 (and if that's one piece it'd have to really impress me), but I'd be open to spending say $300-400 over a longer period of time.

I took the Etsy suggestion and I've found some things that I like:

A David Lynch woodblock print
Something eclectic
Dune, gently caress yeah
This is funny and just about right, but a bit pricey for what it is

I think my favorite is the David Lynch one, but I'm concerned that if I bring a girl back to my place, she's gonna feel creeped out by having the giant visage of David Lynch peering at her.

I also like what the artist of my #2 link has in general. He has sets of 4 that are pretty neat, I figure I could probably drop money on a full set and just do that for now. I'm just worried that they might be too garish.

Marmalade Marinade fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Aug 8, 2013

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Get some Hal Lasko prints.

e: Or, if you can bump your price up a little bit grab some awesome goon made pop art. Seems like his stuff might be up your alley. I want to grab that zapper, but have no idea where I'd hang it. :smith:

kedo fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Aug 8, 2013

pandariot
Feb 19, 2012

I think my favorite is the David Lynch one, but I'm concerned that if I bring a girl back to my place, she's gonna feel creeped out by having the giant visage of David Lynch peering at her.

I also like what the artist of my #2 link has in general. He has sets of 4 that are pretty neat, I figure I could probably drop money on a full set and just do that for now. I'm just worried that they might be too garish.

These are all really great options actually. I'm a girl and I would not be weirded out by David Lynch staring at me, unless it was placed over the bed or by the toilet or something.

The most important thing - the quality of presentation/display.

#1: nice frames - Ikea has some great options for cheap.

#2: hang at the correct height (60" center) - this is a pretty good explanation: http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2011-02-08/features/sc-fam-0208-lifeskill-hang-painting-20110208_1_painting-frame-art-at-eye-level

#3: proportion/color with other objects in your home - this is what I mean: http://ilovereveiller.com/2013/07/05/how-to-hang-art-part-two/

Marmalade Marinade
Feb 20, 2013
Inside tank of fuel is not fuel but love,
Above us, there is nothing above
But the stars above.

kedo posted:

Get some Hal Lasko prints.

e: Or, if you can bump your price up a little bit grab some awesome goon made pop art. Seems like his stuff might be up your alley. I want to grab that zapper, but have no idea where I'd hang it. :smith:

That is pretty sweet. But yeah, over my budget. Maybe once I have a better place something like that would be in.

pandariot posted:

These are all really great options actually. I'm a girl and I would not be weirded out by David Lynch staring at me, unless it was placed over the bed or by the toilet or something.

The most important thing - the quality of presentation/display.

#1: nice frames - Ikea has some great options for cheap.

#2: hang at the correct height (60" center) - this is a pretty good explanation: http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2011-02-08/features/sc-fam-0208-lifeskill-hang-painting-20110208_1_painting-frame-art-at-eye-level

#3: proportion/color with other objects in your home - this is what I mean: http://ilovereveiller.com/2013/07/05/how-to-hang-art-part-two/

Thanks, good to know I don't have terrible taste!

The whole "over the bed" thing is actually a bit of a limiting factor. I live in a tiny studio, and all of my art spots are essentially "over the bed" since that's the only place where I have walls without things like doors or windows in them. Maybe should avoid large faces until I find a larger place.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

razz posted:

Maybe this is a bad idea or won't work for you, but since you want to give the car to your brother, why don't you make a road trip out of it? You could pack up the car, drive to your new place together, and when you get there he can drive the car back home. He helps you out in exchange for getting a free car :)

$2800 sounds like a LOT of money. You could definitely rent a little pull-behind trailer and drive there for cheaper. Let's say you're driving (and obviously I have no idea) 5,000 miles round trip. If your car got 20mpg and gas was $4 a gallon, you'd spend around $1000 on gas. Throw in maybe $500 for staying in hotels during the trip, buying food etc. and it would still put you WELL under the $2800 it would cost for a POD.

That's just my idea but I really like road trips so it sounds like fun to me.

Your 20mpg car won't get anything near 20mpg towing a trailer, will it?

Otm Shank
Mar 5, 2005
Mir raucht den Kopf!!!
Back to car chat:
My parents are letting me use their car, they live in WA and I live in CA. Do I need to change the registration to CA? They aren't actually giving me the car and won't give me the title. Do I still need to change the insurance to CA or just update the garaging address? WA has higher liability requirements.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Otm Shank posted:

Back to car chat:
My parents are letting me use their car, they live in WA and I live in CA. Do I need to change the registration to CA? They aren't actually giving me the car and won't give me the title. Do I still need to change the insurance to CA or just update the garaging address? WA has higher liability requirements.

I don't think you can change the registration without a title.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

I don't think you can change the registration without a title.

No you can, people do it all the time, there's just a bit more paperwork and you may need some forms from the title holder and titled state.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Well, all at once I don't want to go over $100-150 (and if that's one piece it'd have to really impress me), but I'd be open to spending say $300-400 over a longer period of time.

I took the Etsy suggestion and I've found some things that I like:

A David Lynch woodblock print
Something eclectic
Dune, gently caress yeah
This is funny and just about right, but a bit pricey for what it is

Yeah I think sticking with etsy or with just regular prints is your best bet. Put them in a nice frame and they'll look good.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I've come here to tell you all never to use Graebel. They moved our stuff cross country, really, really badly. They bent my motorcycle handlebar in a way that would have taken a literal ton of continuous pressure to happen. They dented almost every metal container (file cabinets, boxes, etc) we have. They packed the wine glasses at the bottom of one of the 4 foot tall boxes (most broke) and packed most kitchen containers full of things upside down. A lot of our books were just dumped in boxes without any wrapping at all, so covers are hosed up and corners are bent. They irreparably twisted the 2mm-thick steel leg mounting tabs on the office table. They packed things they weren't even supposed to pack--we saw them doing it, would tell them that had to stay behind, they'd leave it, and start doing the same thing again in 20 minutes, over and over. They packed the metal grating from the built in apartment microwave! They packed the used toilet brush without its casing and plunger (both of which we told them not to take, several times) loose in a box of our bathroom towels, shaving kits, and loving dental floss. 2/3rds of our picture frames were wrapped in like one layer of packing paper and pressure was put on the glass, so it bent back all the little tabs holding the paper/mat/glass together. We've only unpacked like half the boxes so far, I'm sure there's more to find. Probably about a thousand dollars of damage all together. :argh:

To be fair, the graebel guys that unpacked all our things today were astonished at how badly their packers had done the job, so there's that.

In contrast, for our previous cross country move, we used allied and there was like $8 in damages, a single broken ikea picture frame.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Sounds like your local Graebel franchise sucks pretty bad and not much else.

If I recall it's a three pronged process, with different companies handling the loading, transportation, and unloading.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Yeah, this was specifically the san jose office. However, I still don't know who the hell damaged my motorcycle, could have happened at any point except the initial loading/final unloading because I was there.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
I'd like some advice about a financial problem with my last flatmate.

He moved out on the 19th of July, I moved out on the 23rd. We only got our deposit back because I cleaned the flat, I ended up giving him a really angry phonecall on the morning I moved out asking him why he thought it was okay to leave me to do everything and got the response "I didn't think about it, I was being hassled by my dad over parking times to get stuff in the car". We each got our full deposit back, £900. Internet and home insurance bills were in his name, energy bills were in mine, and until our last month we didn't need to pay council tax because we were students. We got billed £95 for the last council tax month, and £114 for last energy. I paid them both because I had the paperwork for the council tax and the energy bills were in my name, and had to pay for the phone call to Npower to close our account.

I last talked to my flatmate over FB chat on the 30st, it was a friendly chat about what we were each doing, I showed him screenshots proving I'd paid bills and he said he'd get the cash ASAP to me, minus a last home insurance payment of £25. He still hasn't paid me, hasn't responded to my last FB message, hasn't responded to a text or a phone message I left him.

I checked today with a mutual friend, yes he's alive and in the country. I don't know what to do as he's not responding to me even to say something like "I can't pay you til payday" or whatever (which is bullshit as the mutual friend told me they went out for dinner, plus he's just made a £150 studio fee for a studio I work at, plus he lives at home with his parents and works at weekends).

I can't kick up a big fuss as we're both graduates of a small community and it would make me look like a bad guy. When I told the mutual friend that I was looking for him cos he owed me, her response was "don't get me involved", which is fair enough, but I really don't know what to do. His share is a fairly large amount to me as I only work part time, and more than that it's loving disrespectful, especially as he owes me for cleaning the entire flat by myself.

TLDR: flatmate owes me half of last bill payments, is not responding to attempts at contact.

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
Got his mum's number? A very kind and sweet phone call saying that you were worried about him and that he hadn't called you back about sorting out your last bills made you worried he might be in some kind of money trouble is how I got my last lovely roommate to pay her drat bills.

Nothing like a mother's guilt.

Alternately, send an email and say "Hey man, we're part of a small community, we can't go being weird about money - I don't mind if you wait til payday, but you owe me $xx ok? I need it by xx date." If still no response, a mean email about taking him to whatever the brit equivalent of small claims might be necessary.

john mayer
Jan 18, 2011

Trilineatus posted:

Got his mum's number? A very kind and sweet phone call saying that you were worried about him and that he hadn't called you back about sorting out your last bills made you worried he might be in some kind of money trouble is how I got my last lovely roommate to pay her drat bills.

Nothing like a mother's guilt.

Alternately, send an email and say "Hey man, we're part of a small community, we can't go being weird about money - I don't mind if you wait til payday, but you owe me $xx ok? I need it by xx date." If still no response, a mean email about taking him to whatever the brit equivalent of small claims might be necessary.

This is true. I sent a certified letter to a deadbeat ex roomie's mom's house once after sending multiple to her house and I got a check in the mail in like two days after her mom found out. Drawn on mom's account no less.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
Unfortunately I don't know his mommy's number, but the mutual friend I talked to said she'd text him and say I wanted to get hold of him, plus another friend who interns at the same studio is hoping to grab him and say the same.

I literally don't care if he says "hey I can only pay you half right now" or "I can't pay anything til the end of the month", it's just the blanking I find really annoying/disrespectful. I think I'm going to have to just send him an email saying "hey I don't want bad blood between us, I just want to know what's going on". It's lovely cos we're all in the same broke boat, but we both have jobs so gimme the drat money argh

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I have a sublease on an apartment, moved in at the beginning of July.
At the time I moved in, I was told, nobody had actively lived there for a while, which seems likely considering its state when I went to see it before signing.

Either way, when I moved in there was a mold problem in the bathroom, in/below the linoleum flooring. I was promised this would be fixed very soon. (I know, I shouldn't have signed for something with a mold problem in the first place. I was basically desperate to get out from my previous lease.)
However nothing happened before I moved in. Nothing happened during the week in July I was away on vacation. Nothing happened the rest of July. Only on August 6th did workers arrive to begin fixing the bathroom.
Apparently the only solution was to tear down the entire bathroom and run a dehumidifier there for a while. Initially I was told it would be one week, but it's now on the second week. They are supposed to begin building a new bathroom on the 20th, i.e. two weeks after tearing it down.

Obviously the result is that I haven't had a bathroom for almost two weeks. At first I didn't even have a toilet, but they did make a temporary installation letting me take a leak amidst bare concrete flooring, bare drywall, dust, a hot humid atmosphere, and the noise of that dehumidifier.
What's worse is that the water pipes to the kitchen run through the bathroom. They tore down those too, so I haven't had any kind of running water at all. (Except for the toilet.) I've been washing myself in bottled water, obviously using as little as possible.
This has also prevented me from cooking, meaning I've had to spend more on food.
There is a communal laundry room in the building, so I have been able to wash clothes.

So for my actual question:
The rent I'm paying is 8500 SEK/month, which is almost half my income after taxes. That's very close to the cost of the original lease, I'm not being charged any large premium on top. (I recently saw another unit in this building advertised, with the same floor plan; it was newly renovated which mine isn't, and the rent for that was just above 9000 SEK.)
I'm on good terms with my lessor. Considering the circumstances, would it be reasonable of me to lower my rent payment for August and possibly September? By how much?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

So you are saying that you have not had water in your apartment for two weeks and you're only just starting to wonder about it? Holy poo poo. You post includes a reference to weirdo moon currency, but even in a shithole like the US if you don't have running water into your unit because your landlord is dicking about, it's not a habitable space. You could walk out of there with no penalties, or withhold rent until the problem is fixed. You should absolutely be contacting your management and saying that this poo poo is not remotely acceptable. Look for some sort of tenants rights/aid organization in your city or country, there is bound to be one that can tell you what your rights are here.

If you're on good terms with your lessor, call them up and tell them this is ridiculous, and ask to be moved to that sweet renovated unit at your current rate, because you have been sucking on mold and construction dust long enough. I am assuming that 'good terms' means that they are utterly amazed you have been tolerating this for weeks more than that they actually like you.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
Hope I don't catch too much hell for this but I want to move -back- to Memphis.

My story is that I was staying in a rooming house in Midtown Memphis until November of 2011 and I've been in the country out here with my diabetic grandma, making her take her pills ever since. I've gotten all my school loans paid off and got $5k saved up. My income is Social Security Disability to the tune of $909 a month.

I've lived in Memphis most of my life and I pretty much always return there. I'd like some advice on finding something that will work for a person with limited income such as myself that isn't another stinking rooming house full of lowlifes. It seems all the apartments, especially in Midtown Memphis, are just a little out of my reach.

I've never meshed well with the type that inhabits these parts. It's in Chester co just outside of Henderson and a bunch of my family are out here. They're well meaning but a bit simple.

I finally got the point about how genuinely unpleasant they are when I had to listen to one of them rant about how they thought President Obama was literally Hitler. I try not to stereotype but when they seem to want to live up to them I don't even know what to say. They just about die of upset when I tell them I am not religious, too.

I've had enough. I need to get away from here. I am the biggest goon I readily admit, but there is no one even to talk to and I am sick of it.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Take some of your $5k, rent a 2+BR apartment, once it's yours, advertise for a roommate. Find someone you like who is not some kind of lowlife.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Vanagoon posted:

Hope I don't catch too much hell for this but I want to move -back- to Memphis.

My story is that I was staying in a rooming house in Midtown Memphis until November of 2011 and I've been in the country out here with my diabetic grandma, making her take her pills ever since. I've gotten all my school loans paid off and got $5k saved up. My income is Social Security Disability to the tune of $909 a month.

I've lived in Memphis most of my life and I pretty much always return there. I'd like some advice on finding something that will work for a person with limited income such as myself that isn't another stinking rooming house full of lowlifes. It seems all the apartments, especially in Midtown Memphis, are just a little out of my reach.

I've never meshed well with the type that inhabits these parts. It's in Chester co just outside of Henderson and a bunch of my family are out here. They're well meaning but a bit simple.

I finally got the point about how genuinely unpleasant they are when I had to listen to one of them rant about how they thought President Obama was literally Hitler. I try not to stereotype but when they seem to want to live up to them I don't even know what to say. They just about die of upset when I tell them I am not religious, too.

I've had enough. I need to get away from here. I am the biggest goon I readily admit, but there is no one even to talk to and I am sick of it.

Midtown is freaking awesome right now. Try and find a place close to Overton Square and you would have zero problems finding a roommate

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Two questions:
1) Any recomendations to hold a rug down on the carpet? Mine likes to migrate slightly and it migrates into a piece of furniture which means it curls up and trips my OCD and I just want to hold that suckeer down.
2) Is anyone crazy enough to pay for a cleaning service for their rented apartment? My wife and I suck at cleaning and I think our lives would be a lot easier if I could just pay someone to do some stuff for us (vacuuming, clean the bathroom, etc etc). Any thoughts on that?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

Two questions:
1) Any recomendations to hold a rug down on the carpet? Mine likes to migrate slightly and it migrates into a piece of furniture which means it curls up and trips my OCD and I just want to hold that suckeer down.
2) Is anyone crazy enough to pay for a cleaning service for their rented apartment? My wife and I suck at cleaning and I think our lives would be a lot easier if I could just pay someone to do some stuff for us (vacuuming, clean the bathroom, etc etc). Any thoughts on that?

1) Try a rug pad. You probably want one of the rubbery ones.

2) I did this. If you have the money to spend, it's totally worth it imo. It's sort of expensive, but I look at it like I'm more or less buying 2-3 hours of free time for myself. That is unless you're just a slob who doesn't give a poo poo about living in a clean space and/or your security deposit.

kedo fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Aug 19, 2013

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
Is this thread appropriate for asking interior design questions? Or if not, is there a better one floating around somewhere?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

FISHMANPET posted:

Two questions:

Far as cleaning goes, I'm a lazy son of a bitch, and I have spare cash, so hell yeah I've hired cleaners. Pretty much my whole family is the same way, we all work too drat much during the week to spend a couple hours on the weekend with Windex and a vacuum on our respective homes.

(Not like I won't clean up after myself of course, like at meals. Laziness only goes so far :v:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Ok, so I need a sanity check on this:

I moved into a new apartment at the beginning of April and it's been one thing after another since we moved in.

Yesterday, Monday, it came to a head again.  We had 2 separate things going on.

1) Extermination - This was initiated by the apartment complex for the entire building as a tenant upstairs that had been evicted had been apparently living in squalor and the infestation started to spread once their junk was tossed.  We hadn't seen anything in our apartment, but the common storage area off the lobby appeared pretty infested.  We were notified by flyer last week and had to pull everything from all the kitchen cabinets and bathroom vanities.

2) Electrician - Again, initiated by the apartment complex for the entire building.  Apparently, the plan was to replace all the breaker boxes in the individual apartments.  This was supposed to happen Friday/Monday.  Last Tuesday, we came home to find all the power had dropped out for a significant portion of the day, there was a mess in the kitchen (location of breakers), and the next morning we found that the breaker for the hot water heater was turned off (not tripped) and we all had cold showers.  Called Wednesday morning and after several calls and heated discussions it was revealed that the electricians had gone to the wrong building and swapped all our boxes already.  We received no notice of the Tuesday visit and no documentation was left.  On Wednesday we were advised of the Friday/Monday visit by flyer.

So, we came home yesterday.  And there were a number of issues.
Item 1:

This is the ceiling (air duct) above the washer/dryer and breaker box (in the kitchen).  The edges are all soft as if they had been wet.

Item 2:

Screw missing from wallplate (see below for GFCI issues).

Item 3:

Dryer exhaust receptacle has been kicked apart.

Item 4:

Wall plate removed and not replaced.

Item 5:
{No picture}

Hot water breaker turned off, again.

No documentation of the visit(s) was left, again.  We aren't sure if it was just the exterminators or if the electrician was also back.

In addition, the following images display other issues currently:

The lobby ceiling outside our door has had Silly String on it since the 4th of July weekend.

More silly string on the storage room door and notices still up about exterminators from July and a storage locker problem from June.

We've also had the following issues:

Kitchen Flood:
7/28 - Washing Machine backs up into kitchen sink and overflows causing water damage in kitchen, living room, dining room and a bedroom closet.  Over the next few days, maintenance comes in and out several times without warning and leaving no documentation.  Only through literally dozens of phone calls (eventually culminating with the property manager), we sort of get a half answer that it's probably done.  We now have an ugly seam torn in the carpet and uneven padding.  ~$100 in miscellaneous loss from water damage as well.

The GFCI ordeal:
When we moved in, the only GFCIs were in the bathrooms, none in the kitchen.  This is especially troubling in the kitchen as there is an outlet almost immediately above the sink (which happens to be the outlet dedicated exclusively to the washer/dryer).  I questioned this, and after getting a smart rear end answer about county code from the maintenance supervisor, they came out and added a couple GFCIs in the kitchen area.  One of these was the same outlet that is shown missing a screw above.  Unfortunately, the way the kitchen is wired, that's on the same line as the refrigerator.  This resulting in the fridge tripping the GFCI 3 times in 3 weeks before we got maintenance back out and their solution was to just pull the GFCI back out.  That was 6/24, so that outlet definitely got screwed in properly then, as I checked it out after it was replaced.  Again, ~$100 in loss from spoiled food.

Washer failure:
Washer broke and wouldn't cycle on 5/21.  Maintenance repaired.

Lack of A/C:
We went about a week without A/C ~5/11-5/16.  They had to come out 3 times because the first 2 times, they said they fixed it and didn't.  It's pretty easy to test, since cold air comes out of the vents within seconds when working and warm air when not.  This was the first time I recall having maintenance coming in and not leaving a note.

Issues at Move-In:
In addition to the GFCI stuff, the following issues cropped up at move-in:
1) Kitchen exhaust fan had loose screws or other debris inside causing maintenance to have to open it and remove them.
2) Lint filter in dryer was rusted out (they claim to have sanded it down, but we still have the old rear end nasty filter).
3) The outlets for the washer dryer were arranged in this fasion:

That's a grounded plug (3-prong) plugged into a non-grounded (2-prong) spacer with the grounding clip not attached to the screw.  It is situated almost directly above the kitchen sink.  When I raised concerns with this, they replaced the spacer with a 3-outlet tap.  There's still no protection for that if it gets wet.

Now, most of these are minor issues, but I feel it's really adding up.  I don't think that the constant level of issues (every week or two at this point) and the fact that maintenance shows up unannounced and virtually never leaves and documentation are acceptable.  I think I should be able to come home and not wonder if someone was in my apartment or what the hell they did.  I think that, if I'm promised a callback, and maintenance takes my e-mail, phone number, and text number, I should be able to be kept in the loop on my maintenance requests, especially when they are getting done wrong regularly.  And I think that, combined with my regular issues, the state of the lobby shows clearly that the complex clearly doesn't give a poo poo.

Am I overreacting here, or am I justified?  Should I start compiling all my maintenance tickets, e-mails, and pictures into a log to start looking to get out of this lease?

Please send help.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I'm looking to move into a new place, and I realize I was a giant loving dumbass for the past few years, and am hosed when filling out applications.

My current place I started by sub-letting a room from my roommate, and then after a couple months got added to the lease with him. Landlord knows me, no problem there, been here two years. It's the places before then that are the issue.

My place before that, where I lived for a year, I was also sub-letting. I just wrote a check to the one woman who was officially on the lease, and she paid the landlord every month. I have no idea what the landlord's name or address is. I knew his name when I lived there, but have forgotten it. I no longer have any contact info from the woman I sub-let from. I don't think the landlord ever really knew me, other than getting a letter from the woman saying "This previous guy left, this new guy is here."

The place I lived at before that, where I was only at for about 6 months, is the same deal. I was sub-letting, the landlord trusted the guy I was renting from and so I never met her or had her contact info, and again, I no longer have HIS contact info, either.

I've done white pages searches for them, but nowadays with so many people only have cell phones, nothing comes up.

So what's the best course of action? Just tell the landlord's that, hope they understand?

I suppose the sort of last-ditch effort thing I can do is physically go to the houses I lived at, and tell whoever's living there now that I used to live there, and can I please have the landlord's name and number?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DrBouvenstein posted:

I'm looking to move into a new place, and I realize I was a giant loving dumbass for the past few years, and am hosed when filling out applications.

My current place I started by sub-letting a room from my roommate, and then after a couple months got added to the lease with him. Landlord knows me, no problem there, been here two years. It's the places before then that are the issue.

My place before that, where I lived for a year, I was also sub-letting. I just wrote a check to the one woman who was officially on the lease, and she paid the landlord every month. I have no idea what the landlord's name or address is. I knew his name when I lived there, but have forgotten it. I no longer have any contact info from the woman I sub-let from. I don't think the landlord ever really knew me, other than getting a letter from the woman saying "This previous guy left, this new guy is here."

The place I lived at before that, where I was only at for about 6 months, is the same deal. I was sub-letting, the landlord trusted the guy I was renting from and so I never met her or had her contact info, and again, I no longer have HIS contact info, either.

I've done white pages searches for them, but nowadays with so many people only have cell phones, nothing comes up.

So what's the best course of action? Just tell the landlord's that, hope they understand?

I suppose the sort of last-ditch effort thing I can do is physically go to the houses I lived at, and tell whoever's living there now that I used to live there, and can I please have the landlord's name and number?

As long as they can check on your current landlord and pull your credit, it shouldn't really be a problem. They're just renting to you, not issuing you a security clearance. Credit and court checks are more useful than landlord references these days anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
No one can enter your home without permission or notice. So, even just that is bad. The rest.... Well, I don't envy you.