Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

The Jorts of Zeus posted:

I have a ton of DS games I don't play anymore. I can't STAND the non-capacitive screen now that I've used them on phones. This is a great way to re-experience all the greatness that I'm too stubborn to play through on my old red and black system.

Elite Beat Agents and the two Ouendan games are pretty drat amazing on a phone screen. I'm surprised there are not more games that play like them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

mrkillboy posted:

Elite Beat Agents and the two Ouendan games are pretty drat amazing on a phone screen. I'm surprised there are not more games that play like them.

There's always Osu but it's songs are hit or miss for quality.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Wow the DS emulator is absolutely excellent.Though is it just me or does the touch screen seem slightly less responsive than it should be?

Regardless this thing runs at full speed and plays amazing on my note 2. Built in stylus, anyone?

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

KingSlime posted:

Wow the DS emulator is absolutely excellent.Though is it just me or does the touch screen seem slightly less responsive than it should be?

Regardless this thing runs at full speed and plays amazing on my note 2. Built in stylus, anyone?

The DS and 3DS use a resistive touch screen which is more responsive than the capacitive ones every other device uses, but I'm pretty sure you can't multi-touch with resistive and you have to physically press into the screen a bit which is why nothing else really uses resistive.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Klades posted:

The DS and 3DS use a resistive touch screen which is more responsive than the capacitive ones every other device uses, but I'm pretty sure you can't multi-touch with resistive and you have to physically press into the screen a bit which is why nothing else really uses resistive.

It also seems to lack some of the fine control that resistive has. Maybe that's just me.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Kharmakazy posted:

It also seems to lack some of the fine control that resistive has. Maybe that's just me.

I think that's exactly what they meant. Resistive touch is pixel accurate, so while capacitive touch screens are better suited for phones for various reasons they won't register input as well as a DS.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

a shameful boehner posted:

Are there any standouts for the DS that people would absolutely recommend?

Animal Crossing.

On your phone.

It's like your life is literally gone forever.

Yermaw Zahoor
Feb 24, 2009
I'm a bit late to the party with Battle Cats so I've done a bit of catching up on the dedicated ios thread(identical I guess)

Glad I did as I was intending on recommending it to my Daughter when I see her tomorrow as I thought she'd like the quirkiness, also cats.
I noticed that the hippo is bi-sexual, and even though my kid is 11, it'd be fine, no big deal.
Haha, holy gently caress, I've just seen some of the upgraded cats, and even by my liberal ideals, it's abit much (for a kid at least)

I don't know the actual name of "bound, gagged and crawling on the floor-cat" but it'd be well down the list of things my kid's mum would want to ask me.

Game rocks though.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Jesus, this DS emulator really is great. I got rid of my DS fairly early on so I missed a lot. Playing through Fire Emblem now, oh god my life

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Yermaw Zahoor posted:

I'm a bit late to the party with Battle Cats so I've done a bit of catching up on the dedicated ios thread(identical I guess)

Glad I did as I was intending on recommending it to my Daughter when I see her tomorrow as I thought she'd like the quirkiness, also cats.
I noticed that the hippo is bi-sexual, and even though my kid is 11, it'd be fine, no big deal.
Haha, holy gently caress, I've just seen some of the upgraded cats, and even by my liberal ideals, it's abit much (for a kid at least)

I don't know the actual name of "bound, gagged and crawling on the floor-cat" but it'd be well down the list of things my kid's mum would want to ask me.

Game rocks though.

Between bondage cat, beautiful legs cat and panties cat. I'm gonna Battle Cats a :stare:/10 as a kid's game.

Yermaw Zahoor
Feb 24, 2009

Jeff Goldblum posted:

Between bondage cat, beautiful legs cat and panties cat. I'm gonna Battle Cats a :stare:/10 as a kid's game.

Yeah, I had no loving idea.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Can anyone testify to how well the ds emulator works on a nexus 7? I don't even want to try it on a non tablet size screen like my gs3 but it would be awesome to have a working ds again via tablet.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Can anyone testify to how well the ds emulator works on a nexus 7? I don't even want to try it on a non tablet size screen like my gs3 but it would be awesome to have a working ds again via tablet.

I can't answer about the N7, but it works really well on my S3. Games that use the touchscreen a lot may not work the best, but it's getting the job done just fine on the phone. You can disable the touchscreen any time in game, so when I'm playing Fire Emblem the touchscreen is mostly unnecessary and can disable it to prevent any accidental touches.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Mother. loving. Ghost Trick.

Danlee
Dec 7, 2009

Geirskogul posted:

Mother. loving. Ghost Trick.

First game I thought of when I heard the emulator got released. And also Korg DS-10.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
DS emu talk aside, I just want to recommend Momonga Pinball Adventures. As the title suggests its a pinball adventure game where you guide a squirrel through 3D levels by batting it around with pinball flippers. It pretty fun.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
I downloaded a game called Kingdoms at War. It's description sounded awesome and interesting but it was so boring. I thought I'd be able to actually fight battles where I'd use strategy and be able to see the armies, but nope, you just click on a choice and then you get a message that says "You won, your award is whatever". It was free, so no money wasted at least.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Has anyone played Boom Boom Hamster Golf yet?

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

I haven't really had a ton of time to play with it, but on my N7 it seems to be running just fine.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Kaninrail posted:

I haven't really had a ton of time to play with it, but on my N7 it seems to be running just fine.

Same with mine - I've dumped several hours into Castlevania now and it looks great.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Anyone run the NDS emulator on the One X LTE version? It has a a Krait CPU but only Adreno 220 GPU.

leonje
Apr 10, 2005

I roll with my kitties and I'm hard as fuck.

I can get through the tutorial but when it tries to load an actual course, it dumps me back to my homescreen every time.

E: on a gnex for reference.

TJO
Aug 14, 2006

I had a funny feeling in my gut.

a shameful boehner posted:

Are there any standouts for the DS that people would absolutely recommend? Obviously on a phone the best options would be strategy/RPG games without a lot of twitch required.

Devil Survivor 1 and 2 are probably the best SRPGs I've ever played, really huge multiple-ending beasts with a lot of depth. I'm actually preferring DS2 on my phone, it plays perfectly, the 'small upper screen' layout looks great and there's always save-states in case some total loving bullshit happens later in the game.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Is there any way to import saves from your computer to this DS emulator? It's be great to continue the games I had going on before.

Also, the Layton games. Oh man.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

It owns.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Kaninrail posted:

Flavivirus posted:

Same with mine - I've dumped several hours into Castlevania now and it looks great.

Great, now i'll (probably) complete some of the games I stopped midway!

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Tried Drastic on my TF700 and it works beautifully. Having the ability to change the screen layout is really nice. Though for videos or pictures that move from one screen to another, there seems to be a kind of disconnect (I am using portrait mode to fit one screen on top of the other). I think it might be because the top screen in the DS is smaller than the bottom screen, so they code the frames to be bigger in the top screen than the bottom screen.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

SlayVus posted:

Tried Drastic on my TF700 and it works beautifully. Having the ability to change the screen layout is really nice. Though for videos or pictures that move from one screen to another, there seems to be a kind of disconnect (I am using portrait mode to fit one screen on top of the other). I think it might be because the top screen in the DS is smaller than the bottom screen, so they code the frames to be bigger in the top screen than the bottom screen.

I think it's because there is a 90 pixel gap between the two screens on the real system. The demo video for Drastic I saw showed that you could set it that way and it looked pretty good.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I'm looking for some pocket league friends because I needed to flash my phone 60504838

Excalibur_Z
Oct 2, 2004
PAC-MAN +Tournaments is featured again on Google Play in the Play Picks section. In celebration, there's a new tournament which replaces all the Ghosts with colored Android mascots and all the edibles with treats representing each Android OS version. The new between-stage intermission cutscenes and Super PAC-MAN-style bonus stages are pretty sweet too. It's also a good opportunity to get reacquainted if you haven't followed the updates since launch (no login required to play tournaments, improved control customization, past tournament maze packs available for purchase).

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Wow. DraStic is amazing. It actually runs on my rooted G1 Kindle Fire running a custom 4.2.2 ROM. I can now play Pokémon Ranger, Pokémon Trozei, or even Phantom Hourglass... wait... there are points where that requires a mic, aren't there? Dang. Oh well. I can still play Animal Crossing.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Anyone here ever play Populus Romanus?

It's a fun little turn based strategy game, that mostly involves you as the Romans wrecking everyone else with your superior units. It's easily the most enthralling thing I've ever played on my phone; I keep trying to find something similar since I've beat it 10 times over now, but no luck yet.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I recently got a Nexus 7 tablet. I was a little surprised that I didn't see many games I would think of as "AAA" in the play store. Are there any big titles that can really show off the power of the tablet? Real Racing 3 is one that I like to show people, but it isn't a game I actually want to play. Is there a better place to browse games than the play store app?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Not gonna lie, hearing there's now a working DS emulator makes the wait for my paycheck feel like a month.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

SlayVus posted:

I wasn't expecting much from my TF201, but it actually runs Castlevania and Pokemon at full speed! It's amazing considering nds4droid was a total slideshow for me. It is expensive, but it's also just a really well designed app, with a ton of graphic and emulation options.

I have three DSes and a bunch of games I bought but never ended up playing because I never took it out of the house, so this is perfect.

taqueso posted:

I recently got a Nexus 7 tablet. I was a little surprised that I didn't see many games I would think of as "AAA" in the play store. Are there any big titles that can really show off the power of the tablet? Real Racing 3 is one that I like to show people, but it isn't a game I actually want to play. Is there a better place to browse games than the play store app?

The humble store has a bunch of PC->Phone games. I only have some of them, but Osmos, World of Goo and The Room look great on a tablet.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.

Kheldarn posted:

Wow. DraStic is amazing. It actually runs on my rooted G1 Kindle Fire running a custom 4.2.2 ROM. I can now play Pokémon Ranger, Pokémon Trozei, or even Phantom Hourglass... wait... there are points where that requires a mic, aren't there? Dang. Oh well. I can still play Animal Crossing.

DraStic emulates the microphone too. It can be a little finicky though, if the mic acts up you'll have to restart the emulator.

edit: oops, I just saw your device. Argh, sorry to rub it in!

PREYING MANTITS fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Aug 10, 2013

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V
So far on drastic I've played Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia and Animal Crossing.

They both ran great, as near as I can tell. I even grabbed a MOGA pro, because why not. I finally have a reason to have a decent android controller.

And... Order of Ecclesia is alright. I understand why Castlevania fans love it. I honestly like Rogue Legacy better. It feels a little clumsy, even with a real controller. The levels ramp in difficulty by merely saying "here... it's a bunch of monsters or whatever." The whole thing feels much lazier than I expected from a game that is considered one of the best in the franchise and that franchise includes Symphony of the Night. This is probably an okay game, but it is not SotN. It isn't even Castlevania 3.

Then there's animal crossing. This "Nook" guy is a real dickhole, and I wish this was Fallout so I could shoot him with an SMG. I will probably not play this much, but it did remind me that I need to find whatever Harvest Moon is available for the DS and play it, so there's that.

edit: The touch screen works great on my Note II. Anything that's clicky works, and I haven't bothered pulling out the stylus. It is accurate enough that my finger is fine.

Mr. Belding fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Aug 10, 2013

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

PREYING MANTITS posted:

DraStic emulates the microphone too. It can be a little finicky though, if the mic acts up you'll have to restart the emulator.

Ha, I was just wondering if the mic was emulated.

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.

Mr. Belding posted:

The touch screen works great on my Note II. Anything that's clicky works, and I haven't bothered pulling out the stylus. It is accurate enough that my finger is fine.

Drastic seems really well optimized, it runs like a dream on my 1st gen Note. Touch sensitivity is really good too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Oh my god, I finally got around to actually playing games on Drastic and it has Google Drive support for saved games :aaaaa: I kind of just assumed that I'd have to do the same thing I do with other emulators that I want to play on my phone and tablet and use Dropbox, but now I can just do it through the emulator. This thing loving owns.

• Locked thread