Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
if i just wanted to taste the meat id have it tartare

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oppenheimer
Dec 26, 2011

by Smythe
hmm your right steak is best served uncooked and with a gross mayo-based cossack slime with it

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
hmmm let me taste this sweet meat

but first mix it with mayo and tomatos

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Al! posted:

kickstarter 1 cubic centimeter of live organic dirt to be steeped and made into a tea. may contain one or more of the following insects, insect larvae, fertilizer, insecticide, round-up and pebbles. for an extra $100 it comes in its own bespoke paper envelope.

guess where anthrax comes from?

enjoy your PRISM time

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

syscall girl posted:

guess where anthrax comes from?

enjoy your PRISM time

has someone made a wack-rear end government PRISM joke yet

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Sweevo posted:

sub-grover standards

mmmmmmods

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Orbi posted:

has someone made a wack-rear end government PRISM joke yet

conglaturation, you're winner

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

coffeetable posted:

there're a bajillion websites that sell live insects (cockroaches etc) to feed to pet lizards. dunno bout termites specifically though

speaking of cockroaches

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Rp4V3Sj5jE

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/backyardbrains/the-roboroach-control-a-living-insect-from-your-sm

holy poo poo

BooLoo
Oct 18, 2010

SLAM TIME

Oppenheimer posted:

hmm your right steak is best served uncooked and with a gross mayo-based cossack slime with it

you've never had good tartar

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

Trig Discipline posted:

yeah i guess you could get some brown on it first? i've never actually used one

:psyduck: jfc, why don't people understand that you pretty much always sear meat after cooking it sous-vide?

and no, you shouldn't brown it first; it makes no difference.

kenji from seriouseats posted:

Searing

Unfortunately, sous-vide cooking is deficient in one key category: it doesn't brown your meat. The browning reactions that take place to give your meat those wonderful crusty, roasted aromas only take place to a significant degree at temperatures well above 300°F, a good 170°F hotter than normal sous-vide cooking temperatures, which means that you still need to pull out the sauté pan to finish.

The key is to sear the meat as quickly as possible, to prevent any possible overcooking. Have your skillet ready and ripping hot before the meat comes out of the water bath, dry the steak thoroughly before adding it to the pan (wet meat will cool the pan down faster than dry meat), and leave it in the pan only long enough to color.

The question on my mind: some chefs pre-sear their meat before adding it to the bag, claiming that the browned flavors penetrate into the meat as it cooks in the water bath. Is this true?

Steaks just out of the bag—untreated on the left, pre-seared on the right. [Photographs: J. Kenji Lopez-Alt]

To find out, I cooked two identical steaks at 130°F, one with a pre-sear for one minute per-side in a 550°F skillet, and one without. Some of the color on the pre-seared version fades during its time in the bag. One can only hope that this is due to the fact that it has been somehow transported into the meat, reinforcing its flavor.

Same steaks, post-searing. [Photographs: J. Kenji Lopez-Alt]

These are the same two steaks after being seared for a minute per side in 550°F skillet, in hot canola oil. Visually, there's not too much distinction. And flavor-wise? In a blind tasting, tasters were split across the board on which one they preferred, and when asked to correctly identify which steak was which, they fared no better than chance.

Conclusion: Don't bother with the pre-sear—you develop plenty of flavor with just the single, post-water bath sear.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Proteus4994 posted:

this is literally the best summation of groverhaus in 3 words

e: second-best, technically "piece of poo poo" would be the best summation

my favourite was "ultrabox"

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

jesus FUCIKING CHRIST. I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU STUPID loving ROT BRAINED MOTHER FUCKERS DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW TO loving SEAR MEAT AFTER IT'S BEEN SOUS VIDE

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

HERE'S A loving COPY PASTA (PASTA, oval office. BET YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT THAT IS EITHER) FROM SERIOUS EATS DOT COM. PUT IT ON YOUR loving RSS FEED IF YOU WISH TO EDUCATE YOURSELF. GOD YOU MAKE ME SICK

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

Amethyst posted:

HERE'S A loving COPY PASTA (PASTA, oval office. BET YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT THAT IS EITHER) FROM SERIOUS EATS DOT COM. PUT IT ON YOUR loving RSS FEED IF YOU WISH TO EDUCATE YOURSELF. GOD YOU MAKE ME SICK

I AM ANGRY ABOUT YOUR LACK OF COOKING KNOWLEDGE YOU FUUUUUCKING PHILISTINE!

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."
i superglued a sunglasses case to an ipad smartcover. give me $10,000.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

people will back anything as long as you say "ipad" enough times

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

kickstarter for maxiPads

BooLoo
Oct 18, 2010

SLAM TIME
it was unsuccessful

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/761457577/of-mice-and-menstruation-a-period-piece?ref=live

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Amethyst posted:

jesus FUCIKING CHRIST. I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU STUPID loving ROT BRAINED MOTHER FUCKERS DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW TO loving SEAR MEAT AFTER IT'S BEEN SOUS VIDE

dont eat meat problem solved

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Call Now posted:

dont eat meat problem solved

kill youreself if you dont eat meat

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

creatine posted:

eat meat and kill yourself

a carnivores death is an honorable death

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR
molecular gastronomy is pretty cool and heston blumenthal is all about people trying it for themselves instead of it being some wanky pretentious bullshit

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR
it probably still is though sorry heston

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

penus de milo posted:

molecular gastronomy is pretty cool and heston blumenthal is all about people trying it for themselves instead of it being some wanky pretentious bullshit

he should try calling it 'chemistry' instead then

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
""smart""

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."

penus de milo posted:

heston's idea of what home chefs are capable of is pretty nuts, though. like, sous vide actually requires less work and cleanup than the alternative, whereas his stuff involves making a 7 different layers for a black forest gateau and coating it with chocolate using an electric paint gun.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
sous vide is for people that either:
a) suck rear end at life and can't grill if their life depended on it
or
b) restaurants so they can have meat on standby for fast service

if you are not working in a restaurant and are using sous vide you are a colossal douche and should go kill you're self

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

flyboi posted:

sous vide is for people that either:
a) suck rear end at life and can't grill if their life depended on it
or
b) restaurants so they can have meat on standby for fast service

if you are not working in a restaurant and are using sous vide you are a colossal douche and should go kill you're self

youve never actually tasted it have you

it loving infuses some mother fuckin meat with some badass flavor

then again youre probably one of the MEAT NEEDS NO SEASONINGS people in which case please stop eating

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
it does nothing to change how meat is cooked or the process chemically so that is all in your head

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

flyboi posted:

it does nothing to change how meat is cooked or the process chemically so that is all in your head

its all in my head that its uniformly cooked? neat

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

the concern i have about sous vide is where do you put the mesquite chips

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Nomnom Cookie posted:

the concern i have about sous vide is where do you put the mesquite chips

you eat them during the 5 hour cooking time rofl!!

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Dead Inside Darwin posted:

you eat them during the 5 hour cooking time rofl!!

nah man, wood chips. do you even grill

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Nomnom Cookie posted:

nah man, wood chips. do you even grill

is that the thing that involves boiling meat without a bag

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Dead Inside Darwin posted:

is that the thing that involves boiling meat without a bag

:milk:

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

:doh:

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."
i can vacuum seal chicken breasts or steaks or salmon fillets and some veggies over the weekend, pop a few bags in a sous-vide bath in the morning before going to work, come home, open them up, sear the meat for a minute per side and serve. how is this stupid? its loving easier than prepping all the slow cooker ingredients before work, or spending 30 mins firing up a bbq after work on a rainy day, or making a lasagne or whatever, and it produces really consistent, juicy, evenly cooked meat every time.

suits my needs

its not like i'm whipping up a bone marrow foam to go with my sonically cavitated french fries or something.

it's new technology! :wink:

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

WorkingPeer posted:

i can vacuum seal chicken breasts or steaks or salmon fillets and some veggies over the weekend, pop a few bags in a sous-vide bath in the morning before going to work, come home, open them up, sear the meat for a minute per side and serve. how is this stupid? its loving easier than prepping all the slow cooker ingredients before work, or spending 30 mins firing up a bbq after work on a rainy day, or making a lasagne or whatever, and it produces really consistent, juicy, evenly cooked meat every time.

suits my needs

its not like i'm whipping up a bone marrow foam to go with my sonically cavitated french fries or something.

it's new technology! :wink:

no youre mistaken, its just the taste of hipster human being dick you crave

anyone who doesnt grill everything is a gay baby moron

Nelson MandEULA
Feb 27, 2011

"...the biggest shitbag
I have ever met."
someone's gonna give me redtext about my sousvide rantings in a funny computar forum, aren't they...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

i like my women like i like my steak, heated to an internal temperature of 165 degrees fahrenheit

• Locked thread