Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BobbyDrake
Mar 13, 2005

I threw $35 your way cause I like coffee mugs and books are neat. Didn't actually read the kickstarter, just the tiers, so I literally just found out how much stuff you're giving away. So, um, wow. That's awesome. And there's less than 5k to go till the next stretch. Amazing.

Edit: CRYSTALS!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Brian's Kickstarter E-mail posted:

Okay. That's fine. I see how it's gonna be. Two can play at this game!

If you guys are gonna keep throwing money on the pile, then we're gonna keep announcing stretch goals.

$120,000 Coasting Through Life - If you do the impossible, then every tier that contains at least one physical item will get a Tesladyne Gear Coaster to protect your very important furniture from the ravages of condensation.

You have ~30 hours.

Fine then! I just doubled my pledge! Take that!

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Was in for $35, and now I'm down for $100 because I guess coasters are enough to break me. Don't know what that says about me, but it can't be good.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

This is an amazing Kickstarter, I am really looking forward to this, it's amazing, YOU'RE amazing. I'm gushing.

Any insights on the campaign from the other side? Is this what you guys were expecting or are you just totally floored by the outpouring of support for Robo (and Dr. Dino?)
Fairly early on I had a sense that we could break $100,000 but that it would be close. Everything from $110k+ has been a delightful surprise.

The other big surprise, for me, is the relative lack of success for the Dr. Dinosaur tiers. I suppose there's a limit to what most people will spend on total frivolous novelty. Lesson learned!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Hyperactive posted:

Fairly early on I had a sense that we could break $100,000 but that it would be close. Everything from $110k+ has been a delightful surprise.

The other big surprise, for me, is the relative lack of success for the Dr. Dinosaur tiers. I suppose there's a limit to what most people will spend on total frivolous novelty. Lesson learned!

And you guys just broke $120.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Hyperactive posted:

I have a biology class starting in a couple weeks, and I've been really tempted to buy one of the two tiers with a lab coat entirely to wear it to class, eventually. I'm pretty sure they won't fit me, though (I'm a typical fat goon) and it'd be fairly late into the semester to start something like that.

That said, I keep looking at that $600 "get all the things" level and mentally poking at my budget to see if it won't cough up extra money.

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

That said, I keep looking at that $600 "get all the things" level and mentally poking at my budget to see if it won't cough up extra money.

Look, I love atomic robo, spent some money on this very kickstarter, but seriously:

If you have consider your budget for a $600 expenditure, don't blow that on a kickstarter. i.e. Most people shouldn't spend $600 on a kickstarter.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Salvador Dalvik posted:

Look, I love atomic robo, spent some money on this very kickstarter, but seriously:

If you have consider your budget for a $600 expenditure, don't blow that on a kickstarter. i.e. Most people shouldn't spend $600 on a kickstarter.

Oh yeah, I know. That doesn't mean I don't wish a few grand would magically plop out of my budget when I strike it about the face and ears. I'm perfectly content with the things I'm getting, honestly.

It's less "I wish I had more money to spend on a kickstarter" and more "I wish I had more money to spend."

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Oh yeah, I know. That doesn't mean I don't wish a few grand would magically plop out of my budget when I strike it about the face and ears. I'm perfectly content with the things I'm getting, honestly.

It's less "I wish I had more money to spend on a kickstarter" and more "I wish I had more money to spend."

Yea, I came off a bit harsh, but the kickstarter trend is exploiting a really common weakness in people. The combination of generosity and tiered rewards can be pretty effective at compelling backers.

I never like reading about people spending money they can't afford on these things.

Spigs
Jun 5, 2008

Hyperactive posted:

If I wasn't trying to be an adult and buy a house I would have immediately jumped on the Dr. Dinosaur stuff. I'm loving this arc so far. I usually wait for the trades but couldn't wait on this one so I started grabbing the single issues as they come out and will inevitably double dip on the trade. You guys are consistently some of the best comics reading in my pile.

Sledra
Jan 24, 2005

How Thortunate!
Are there any plans to sell the posters outside of the kickstarter, I can't justify dropping an extra $65 just for the Space - It's out there! one but drat do I want it.

space pope
Apr 5, 2003

Just upped my pledge from $10 to $20 - I hope that means I'll get all the stretch rewards that apply to a physical reward!

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

space pope posted:

Just upped my pledge from $10 to $20 - I hope that means I'll get all the stretch rewards that apply to a physical reward!
Yup!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Jesus too bad it end in four hours :( You could probably keep getting money for like another week.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

In for a mug, and holy hell, you guys are lavishing us with goodies for the stretch goals. Here's hoping you get $130k!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

That is the best final stretch goal I've ever seen. :allears:

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Jedi425 posted:

In for a mug, and holy hell, you guys are lavishing us with goodies for the stretch goals. Here's hoping you get $130k!

More like 150k....

God drat... want it so hard.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

I did some very basic maths, and came up with some totals for the physical rewards being given out. If I did this wrong, feel free to correct me:

In total, there were 2220 people who signed up for physical items (2378 total -151 digital -7 from the $30 Scott sketch tier), which translates roughly to:

2220 - Print guides
Mini posters
Stretch Goal Stickers
SG Dr. Dino posters
SG Bumper Stickers
SG Certificates
SG Pens
SG Prints x3 (6660 is now the number of the DINO-BEAST!)
SG Rulers
SG Coasters
SG Lanyards

1951: Mini posters x3
Buttons x10

1492: mugs

3863: Shirts (1251 two packs, 1361 one packs)

801: Hardcovers
Signed cards
Space Poster

83 Scott Sketches

27: DR DINO Kits

30 Action Scientist Kits (Which now include Sticky Notes, due to Stretch Goal pens)

6: Original AR Pages
-------------------------

Once again, I am not very good at maths, so please correct me if I got these numbers wrong.

That aside: Horsefeathers! That is a lot of stuff I'm getting!

J.A.B.C. fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Aug 9, 2013

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
It appears that I somehow selected the wrong tier for my rewards! I wanted the $30 Physical reward tier (I wanted those posters hard). Is it going to be an issue to correct that? I just saw the email from Amazon/Kickstarter that my funding was successful and saw the reward tier.

I didn't even know that there was a digital only tier for $30.

I emailed through the kickstarter to query this as well. Hopefully it's no big deal and can be remedied. :argh:

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

Just checked back into the thread after forgetting about it for months and now I'm super bummed that I missed this Kickstarter campaign. Hopefully a new Robo TPB will come out soon to cheer me up.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Does anyone know how kickstarter works for shipping things? I have no idea what address if any is tied to my account and don't see a place to change it. I don't want to not get my coffee cup.

Sair
May 11, 2007

As long as your email is good, you should be fine. They'll send out a questionnaire thing when it gets closer to shipping, most likely.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Sair posted:

As long as your email is good, you should be fine. They'll send out a questionnaire thing when it gets closer to shipping, most likely.
Bingo.

We're still mired in pre-campaign responsibilities like finishing Volume 8 and then writing the Field Guide, so there hasn't been any news or surveys to send to backers.

This pre-campaign stuff was factored into our delivery dates, including the news released toward of the end of the campaign updating the delivery date to November to account for all the extra work we need to do for the stretch goals.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Len posted:

Does anyone know how kickstarter works for shipping things? I have no idea what address if any is tied to my account and don't see a place to change it. I don't want to not get my coffee cup.

Crystals... It all works on Crystals...

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Hyperactive posted:

Bingo.

We're still mired in pre-campaign responsibilities like finishing Volume 8 and then writing the Field Guide, so there hasn't been any news or surveys to send to backers.

This pre-campaign stuff was factored into our delivery dates, including the news released toward of the end of the campaign updating the delivery date to November to account for all the extra work we need to do for the stretch goals.

Did you have any reply to my issue? I haven't heard anything back from the kickstarter email or anything. To refresh (From this page) I apparently selected the wrong tier for rewards, as a digital only version which I didn't even realize existed. :(

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

KGBAgent185 posted:

Did you have any reply to my issue? I haven't heard anything back from the kickstarter email or anything. To refresh (From this page) I apparently selected the wrong tier for rewards, as a digital only version which I didn't even realize existed. :(
LEARN TO READ.

But yeah we should be able to accommodate you as we get closer to fulfillment.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Reading back through the comics again, waiting for Part 3 to come out, and seeing how some of the stuff that ties back together is really incredible. To wit:

- Robo's interview in Vol. 1, Part 2 states that he mapped hollow earth as sort of a throw-away line. In Vol. 8, Robo discovers hollow earth (and its current genius dinosaur king!)

- Two of them from Vol. 3: Charles Fort mentioning the group Tesla used to work alongside, including Annie Oakley, Master Wong and W.S. Lovecraft, which would come back in later issues of Real Science Adventures to be their own serial. Also, Louis and Martin creating the Shadow from beyond time with their evil computer.

- The entirety of Vol. 4 being one long week, which then leads into Vol. 5 explaining Edison's disappearance (With a shout to Vol. 3), and all of that being a set-up to when Robo loses his Webley Mk. 6. I don't think I've ever had feels for a gun before. That Webley, though...

Every time I read this series, I find something new within pages I've read before. Which either reflects well on the writers, or poorly on myself. Or a mixture of both.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Hyperactive posted:

LEARN TO READ.

But yeah we should be able to accommodate you as we get closer to fulfillment.

:(

Yeah.. I know it's my bad. I was really quick on selecting everything and didn't even see it in the tier listing in the main post.

I really appreciate that you guys can fix it though. Thanks :shobon:

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

J.A.B.C. posted:

Reading back through the comics again, waiting for Part 3 to come out, and seeing how some of the stuff that ties back together is really incredible. To wit:

- Robo's interview in Vol. 1, Part 2 states that he mapped hollow earth as sort of a throw-away line. In Vol. 8, Robo discovers hollow earth (and its current genius dinosaur king!)
As well, back in Vol 1 Issue 1 Helsingard mentions bringing ruin to a subterranean civilization that pre-dates humanity. Hollow Earth, anyone?

The idea of an actual Hollow Earth is 100% absurd. It didn't quite make sense back when it was quite literally invented in the 19th century, but people found it interesting for a variety of reasons, chief among them that we simply didn't know what was going on beneath the surface, so pure fantasy filled in the blanks. But as soon as we started figuring out plate tectonics, boom, that was the end of it as a useful conceit for adventure fiction.

But I wanted to have the concept of Hollow Earth available for us to mine. It's just so weird and stupid, I can't help but love it. And since one of the pillars of Atomic Robo's setting is that everything is basically plausible, then we needed a version of Hollow Earth that could withstand a gentle breeze of logic. And the next issue of Vol 8 hints at what may very well be the most scientifically consistent theory proposed for Hollow Earth. There's not a lot of room in the adventure to get into the details, but the basic idea is there.

quote:

Every time I read this series, I find something new within pages I've read before. Which either reflects well on the writers, or poorly on myself. Or a mixture of both.
I wouldn't say it reflects poorly on the reader. By design you're not supposed to pick up on a lot of this stuff until you've read additional volumes, and more likely have read them more than once.

And I don't think it reflects one way or the other on the creators. We had the luxury to figure out a huge timeline before we ever started, and the luxury of choosing which adventures to tell, and the luxury to decide what order we'd tell those stories, and the luxury to invent new stuff that'd fit inside the established timeline, and the luxury to drop hints and seeds and callbacks to all those events as we go.

There's a throw away line in Vol 5 that plays an integral part in the current RSA series. And another that pays off in Vol 9 along with a line from Vol 1. And Vol 8 is just the fallout from Vol 6 with a minor aside in Hollow Earth via throw away lines regarding Science City which we'll get into at some point beyond Vol 11. And all that fallout won't get settled until Vol 10. And if you have two brain cells to work with, you can have all this stuff going on without people realizing it until the second or third read so it never gets in the way of the first time reader starting on any given volume.

None of this is particularly clever. It's just that a relentless linearity pushing forward an eternal "now" doesn't let you do that, so it may look like a more impressive trick than it is. All we've done is take advantage of the fact that we're working on a creator owned project. We don't have to worry about retcons or events or wild shifts in editorial direction.

Anyone operating outside those variables could do it, and it's little puzzling every time they don't.

Hyperactive fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Aug 31, 2013

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Hyperactive posted:

As well, back in Vol 1 Issue 1 Helsingard mentions bringing ruin to a subterranean civilization that pre-dates humanity. Hollow Earth, anyone?

The idea of an actual Hollow Earth is 100% absurd. It didn't quite make sense back when it was quite literally invented in the 19th century, but people found it interesting for a variety of reasons, chief among them that we simply didn't know what was going on beneath the surface, so pure fantasy filled in the blanks. But as soon as we started figuring out plate tectonics, boom, that was the end of it as a useful conceit for adventure fiction.

But I wanted to have the concept of Hollow Earth available for us to mine. It's just so weird and stupid, I can't help but love it. And since one of the pillars of Atomic Robo's setting is that everything is basically plausible, then we needed a version of Hollow Earth that could withstand a gentle breeze of logic. And the next issue of Vol 8 hints at what may very well be the most scientifically consistent theory proposed for Hollow Earth. There's not a lot of room in the adventure to get into the details, but the basic idea is there.

I wouldn't say it reflects poorly on the reader. By design you're not supposed to pick up on a lot of this stuff until you've read additional volumes, and more likely have read them more than once.

And I don't think it reflects one way or the other on the creators. We had the luxury to figure out a huge timeline before we ever started, and the luxury of choosing which adventures to tell, and the luxury to decide what order we'd tell those stories, and the luxury to invent new stuff that'd fit inside the established timeline, and the luxury to drop hints and seeds and callbacks to all those events as we go.

There's a throw away line in Vol 5 that plays an integral part in the current RSA series. And another that pays off in Vol 9 along with a line from Vol 1. And Vol 8 is just the fallout from Vol 6 with a minor aside in Hollow Earth via throw away lines regarding Science City which we'll get into at some point beyond Vol 11. And all that fallout won't get settled until Vol 10. And if you have two brain cells to work with, you can have all this stuff going on without people realizing it until the second or third read so it never gets in the way of the first time reader starting on any given volume.

None of this is particularly clever. It's just that a relentless linearity pushing forward an eternal "now" doesn't let you do that, so it may look like a more impressive trick than it is. All we've done is take advantage of the fact that we're working on a creator owned project. We don't have to worry about retcons or events or wild shifts in editorial direction.

Anyone operating outside those variables could do it, and it's little puzzling every time they don't.

I'm now imagining your writing process involves a lot of red string and thumbtacks.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Hyperactive posted:

I would love to see a "everything in order" omnibus, with all the stories in actual chronological order. That being said, though, I love the "reverse references" thing you do where stuff gets referenced in one volume, expanded in the next, and then pays off in a completely different story.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Len posted:

I'm now imagining your writing process involves a lot of red string and thumbtacks.
Nothing quite so dramatic. Just a simple timeline with a few working titles scattered throughout.

Evil Mastermind posted:

I would love to see a "everything in order" omnibus, with all the stories in actual chronological order. That being said, though, I love the "reverse references" thing you do where stuff gets referenced in one volume, expanded in the next, and then pays off in a completely different story.
I don't think we'd ever print something like that, but it'd be easy to work out on one's own. We even did the hard work for you here and here.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I just want OSHCs man!

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away
So I'm moving this week and apparently I had some kind of poster stashed away on a shelf, still in the cardboard tube. Took it down to the frame workshop to see a friend of mine and

:awesome:

Probably would have thrown that tube out months ago thinking it was empty if I wasn't such a hopeless, disgusting hoarder.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Just to make sure I don't have to scrounge through a spam folder, has the survey email come out yet?

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Len posted:

Just to make sure I don't have to scrounge through a spam folder, has the survey email come out yet?

Click.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Is it supposed to be a link to a reply box?

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Len posted:

Is it supposed to be a link to a reply box?

Wherein he explained already that due to the overwhelming success of the Kickstarter they've had to push everything, including survey emails, back a ways. Personally I wouldn't expect a survey until closer to mid-October, and I'd also probably expect a post in this thread when they get sent out.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Wherein he explained already that due to the overwhelming success of the Kickstarter they've had to push everything, including survey emails, back a ways. Personally I wouldn't expect a survey until closer to mid-October, and I'd also probably expect a post in this thread when they get sent out.

Clicking it in the Awful App opens up a browser with a blank reply box. Sorry to strike a nerve though.

Edit: I guess it wasn't letting it load enough because now it's jumping from the reply box to hallway down a page.

Len fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Sep 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Len posted:

Clicking it in the Awful App opens up a browser with a blank reply box. Sorry to strike a nerve though.

Edit: I guess it wasn't letting it load enough because now it's jumping from the reply box to hallway down a page.

Nah, didn't mean to come across as snappy if I did. I just thought you weren't getting why it redirected to a previous reply of his, and was trying to clarify.

• Locked thread