Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Holy crap. I did it. I beat the ducks! The very first attack drove them from their land entirely. I have something insane like 200 wild lands and 150 pasture now. I'm gonna get the gently caress raided out of me, but I didn't even realize this was possible so it's worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

The Sharmat posted:

Holy crap. I did it. I beat the ducks! The very first attack drove them from their land entirely. I have something insane like 200 wild lands and 150 pasture now. I'm gonna get the gently caress raided out of me, but I didn't even realize this was possible so it's worth it.

This can't possibly come back to bite you in the rear end!

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Ironhoof is a myth perpetuated by Issarite bankers to better control the barley industry.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

The Sharmat posted:

Tell me how that goes in a few years. :allears:

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I've had incredibly good luck this game. I was even afraid I'd left it on easy for awhile. I'm sure nothing will happen.

Also is it just me or do Elmali clans capture horses in raids a lot more often than clans with Orlanth as their primary god?

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

The Sharmat posted:

Dude, don't gently caress with the ducks.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I hosed with the ducks and twenty years later they haven't hosed me back.

Might be because I chose to help them with Delecti. Marsh Duck shows up as neutral to me now.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

The Sharmat posted:

I hosed with the ducks and twenty years later they haven't hosed me back.

Might be because I chose to help them with Delecti. Marsh Duck shows up as neutral to me now.

Actually, how you did it was the best way to gently caress with the ducks. Running them off in a single massive raid is much better than a sustained conflict where you steal their poo poo. The relation-o-meter only scores one raid that way.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Goddammit Kallyr, you're supposed to be a badass. Stop letting the Dark Woman gently caress you up in Orlanth and Aroka. This is the third time in a row.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Whenever I send a Vingan to do Orlanth and Aroka, they gently caress it up. Maybe it's because Orlanth is supposed to seduce the Dark Lady or something?

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Flame112 posted:

Whenever I send a Vingan to do Orlanth and Aroka, they gently caress it up. Maybe it's because Orlanth is supposed to seduce the Dark Lady or something?

Are you trying to say that Vingans have worse Seduction mojo than Orlanth? Seems like an open challenge :colbert:

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Flame112 posted:

Vingans are supposed to reverse things. Male questors seduce the Dark Lady and beat up the others. Vingans do the opposite, not being equipped to seduce the Dark Lady.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

veekie posted:

Vingans are supposed to reverse things. Male questors seduce the Dark Lady and beat up the others. Vingans do the opposite, not being equipped to seduce the Dark Lady.

What do you mean? I'm certain the soles of a woman's feet are just as sexy and virile as a man's. This being Glorantha, "soles" are probably not even a metaphor for anything... else. :colbert:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Who was the kid that Orlanth "left in" the Dark Lady, out of interest?

Project1
Dec 30, 2003

it's time
Heroquests can change reality to a huge extent, can't they? Much more than you see in the game, if I remember correctly. It's a little surprising that they're done so often if that's the case, but I guess a lot of Orlanthi are of the "act now, think later" variety.

It'd be a headache to work all that out if you were running a tabletop game, though, wouldn't it?

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Penguingo posted:

Who was the kid that Orlanth "left in" the Dark Lady, out of interest?

I forgot the name, but I believe it is something about the sound thunder makes?

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
I was curious and looked up Babeester Gor...

quote:

She lives in her Axe Hall on the Screaming Isle in the Sea of Blood, that collected the Valley of Corpses in the Earth Realm.

:allears:

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
She's also the Mother of Liqour! :eng101:

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Is there ay benefit to knowing the secrets of myths not involved in hero questing? Every once in awhile a clan gives you something like the Sword Story and so forth instead of a hero quest myth.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

nutranurse posted:

She's also the Mother of Liqour! :eng101:

Who was the father?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Disorder, The Trickster.

BryanChavez
Sep 13, 2007

Custom: Heroic
Having A Life: Fair

Project1 posted:

Heroquests can change reality to a huge extent, can't they? Much more than you see in the game, if I remember correctly. It's a little surprising that they're done so often if that's the case, but I guess a lot of Orlanthi are of the "act now, think later" variety.

It'd be a headache to work all that out if you were running a tabletop game, though, wouldn't it?

No, they can't. Well, yes they can, but not if you're just some backwards-rear end hill-clan who wants your chieftain to gain magical strength. Heroquests all happen in a time before Time. Whatever you do in a heroquest can't affect the time after Time began, but if you're powerful enough and determined enough, you can redefine the things that happened in the God Time. This requires secret knowledge, great magical power, and extensive effort - a single quest done by one or two tribes isn't going to make it so that Orlanth killed Daga in their first encounter with each other. It might cause that to be the story for one tribe, but that doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things. There are already eighty different stories about what happened between Orlanth and Aroka. An eighty-first story isn't going to alter reality any more than the other eighty did beforehand.

veekie posted:

Who was the father?

Presumably all of the bodies she hacked to pieces, using their blood to brew her beer. When she rose up from her mother's dead body, she hunted all of those who were responsible. This included the Talokans, which she committed genocide upon - every single man, woman, child, and god were put to her axe, and she used the blood that flowed to brew her blood beer. Babeester Gor's contribution to liquor is drinking that fortified blood beer and flying into homicidal, berserk rages that can't be quelled until she drinks enough that she falls unconscious. Sometimes the Trickster makes sure that she does, to prevent some great massacre for some Trickster reason.

For a kinder, less psychotic origin of liquor, look to Minlister, the God of Brewing. He's just a jolly guy that makes booze for the Storm Tribe. Very little murder going on. Not really connected to Babeester Gor.

Project1
Dec 30, 2003

it's time

BryanChavez posted:

No, they can't. Well, yes they can, but not if you're just some backwards-rear end hill-clan who wants your chieftain to gain magical strength. Heroquests all happen in a time before Time. Whatever you do in a heroquest can't affect the time after Time began, but if you're powerful enough and determined enough, you can redefine the things that happened in the God Time. This requires secret knowledge, great magical power, and extensive effort - a single quest done by one or two tribes isn't going to make it so that Orlanth killed Daga in their first encounter with each other. It might cause that to be the story for one tribe, but that doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things. There are already eighty different stories about what happened between Orlanth and Aroka. An eighty-first story isn't going to alter reality any more than the other eighty did beforehand.

Ah, that makes more sense. And I quite like the idea that what happened to the gods has changed, but only for one clan.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
So what's the deal with that one clan that worships Argan Argar? Because looking him up, he's a Troll God.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
He's the Troll's "Talking God" equivalent if I'm not mistaken. Worshipped by trolls that deal with surface dwellers and vice versa.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
So they're some kinda weird troll-loving clan? If there's a Dragon Pass 2 at some point, I want to be that clan.

In fact, I want more clan creation options in general, and a bit more feedback in game than just magic bonuses or penalties for your actions. Why can't I be that clan with a holy site to Flamal that has to deal with elves wanting to come worship? Why is it that the only Elmal clan in Dragon Pass that suffers problems from being Elmali is the NPC one?

I also want more to do once you become a tribe. I once had a tribe with guys that were known for their hatred of beastmen in it, and to get them in I had to put it in the King's vows that we'd make war on the Beastmen every so often. Imagine my surprise when the game actually remembered that, and I got it is a tribal warfare event. More stuff like that would be nice.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Well, not THAT crazy, Argan Argar is kinda friendly to humans.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Argan Argar is a talking god, and there's nothing that says Uz and Man can't interact peacefully with each other. He helps facilitate that.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

The Only Old One, former ruler of Heortland that the Pharaoh deposed, was Argan Agar's son. Yeah, the Orlanthi of Dragon Pass preferred a troll demigod-king to a man on the throne, because he was strange.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Glimpse posted:

The Only Old One, former ruler of Heortland that the Pharaoh deposed, was Argan Agar's son. Yeah, the Orlanthi of Dragon Pass preferred a troll demigod-king to a man on the throne, because he was strange.
Also the OOO was always perfectly fair to the Orlanthi, keeping his word, facilitating trade, and in general being a good ruler for 1300 years. Pharaoh killed him, took over, and started shuffling things around (including, I'm guessing, much higher taxes - hey, this City Of Wonders isn't going build itself). Every couple of decades, the Pharaoh would reincarnate in a new, younger body, and he'd hold a tournament (the Masters Of Luck And Death) and he would have all of his subjects send their best and brightest young people there, to fight to the death until one remained, which he would then possess and become the new Pharaoh Belintar. A recipe for lots of grumbling, failed rebellions, and clans deciding "gently caress this, we're out of here" once they hear rumors that the blasted deathland to the North, abandoned since the Great Dragonkill (where, despite its name, the dragons killed and ate everyone) was now livable and empty.

...have I mentioned, recently, just how completely awesome Glorantha is?

Argan Argar is Issaries' pal - he has the same rune and is the god of Trollish trade and diplomacy and most things to do with the surface. He's the troll god most friendly to humans, and like Issaries, loves nothing more than facilitating advantageous exchange and peaceful relations. Pharaoh is a complete jerk, in contrast.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

The Uz actually aren't nearly as bad as they seem and are mostly focused on eugenics-ing themselves back to their glory days or fighting Chaos. By in large they'll be chill if you don't piss them off. Think of them as Ducks that eat people.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
And it's not that they're meanies that want to eat you just because they're jerks, it's just that you taste good. As does your house. And maybe your crafts. But if you'll take some lead bolgs for those delicious toys then please please let me have them, they look so tasty.

Project1
Dec 30, 2003

it's time
Regarding cottars, I get the impression that they're similar to serfs. They're members of the clan, so have basic rights, and don't have to worry about being sacrificed like thralls. But other than that, their lives are pretty awful and don't really get a say in anything. Is that about right?

When being troubled by bandits/undead/chaos, is there anywhere in particular to send explorers, or do they just find it?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Project1 posted:

Regarding cottars, I get the impression that they're similar to serfs. They're members of the clan, so have basic rights, and don't have to worry about being sacrificed like thralls. But other than that, their lives are pretty awful and don't really get a say in anything. Is that about right?

When being troubled by bandits/undead/chaos, is there anywhere in particular to send explorers, or do they just find it?

Cottars get a say in things, they're just not as important as carls, so their voices tend to get drowned out unless it's something really serious. Equating them to serfs is pretty reasonable, though, the majority of their work involves the hard jobs that the carls don't really want to do.

If you have a bandit problem, just explore your tula. You'll run against them sooner or later.

If you have an undead problem, explore the Upland Marsh. If your explorers return, they'll have butchered some dead-heads and it'll have an effect back home.

If you have a Chaos problem, explore Snakepipe Hollow. If your explorers return from there, they'll have spanked some Chaos beasts and that will also have an effect back home.

Regarding heroquesting, it's correct to say that some clan in bumfuckistan the way you are in KoDP isn't gonna change time and space, but you could very well have hero-cults established if you had a particularly powerful clan leader who did something incredible during heroquesting. Mystic Mongol's LP where he had an Orlanthi chieftain slay Daga in Orlanth and Aroka is a good example. No, he's not going to change the myth, but he probably would have founded a hero cult that preaches the alternate myth. Probably the biggest thing that KoDP exaggerates is the ease of heroquesting. You really shouldn't be succeeding at many heroquests AT ALL until after you've formed a tribe. The entire reason forming a tribe is so special is because it's an extremely big deal for a single clan to have enough favor to complete Making of the Storm Tribe alone.

The best way to think about heroquesting is like this: Picture a giant river, so immense you can't even see the other side of it. It's calm in some areas, rough in others. The shore is rocky in some areas, sandy in others. The bottom is muddy in some areas, and in others it's a big slab of granite. It's very unpredictable, and knowing it through and through, or making theories about how it 'should' work...it's all pretty much impossible. Your goal is to jump into the river, swim out to a specific point, dive under, and grab something from the bed of the river.

This effort can be made easier if you know a particular stretch of that river very well, you have awesome support on the shore, etc. But it's still a very dangerous and deadly thing, even in the best of circumstances.

Now, naturally, you might find a way to the bottom of the river that you think is better. Let's say you find some place where the currents aren't so strong, so you swim down there instead. You can talk about this as much as you want, but relatively few people are going to believe you if you're the only one succeeding at swimming that way (this is effectively a hero cult). But if more and more people swim your way, succeed, and talk about it as well, then your way starts to grow. If your way grows so much that it supplants the old way, then your way is the way it's always been.

But good luck convincing so many people your way is better when they've got a way they know works, and it gets them through one of the most potentially lethal ordeals of their lives.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Coolguye posted:

Cottars get a say in things, they're just not as important as carls, so their voices tend to get drowned out unless it's something really serious. Equating them to serfs is pretty reasonable, though, the majority of their work involves the hard jobs that the carls don't really want to do.

Not to mention a clan is essentially one big extended family. They might not be very important, but they are still your people.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I've tried hard difficulty and I have to say I don't like it at all. It seems like there's just no way to succeed. 3/4ths of everything you do just automatically fails. I was hoping to try it because the difficulty curve is wonky and though that might fix it. I get bored in the mid to late game when I'm sitting on 900 goods.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

There's really honestly no reason to play on hard unless you're a masochist, it's simply makes all checks much harder and increases the probability of bad events.

Though if you want to see some bad events you otherwise wouldn't, guess that is one reason.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Hard isn't that bad if you play conservatively, the game is still pretty lenient with regards to actually winning, and the AI clans are still just as easy to con of their treasures. Just need a little more safety margins and caution.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Heroquesting is a pain in the rear end though. If you thought Uralda's quest was bad on normal...

I actually like playing on hard though. I find it a bit too easy to just have everything go your way on normal (barring the odd heroquest just straight up murdering someone). Hard teaches you how to deal with things going poorly.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Aug 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Heroquesting is a pain in the rear end though. If you thought Uralda's quest was bad on normal...

I actually like playing on hard though. I find it a bit too easy to just have everything go your way on normal (barring the odd heroquest just straight up murdering someone). Hard teaches you how to deal with things going poorly.

Same trick, wait for a badass Odaylan, grind her up on Humakt and Chalana Arroy. You need Combat, Bargaining, Animals and probably Magic. Odaylans come with Animals and Combat.

• Locked thread