Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Dauntasa posted:

Well the actual strategy is to stab until you reach someone who everyone hates, and then stop stabbing and let him gently caress things up for a while.

Ah, the Varys strategy...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

The Mattybee posted:

I have stabbed so many loving Byzantine emperors and it never explodes. Occasionally Bavaria (West Francia/Burgundy/Lotharingia) breaks off for a bit but it always comes back.

Yeah until recently thats pretty much what happened in my game. France gained control of Italy, Aquitaine, Brittany,and a few counties in Germany and Spain, then they inherited the Byzantine Empire, which was doing pretty well for itself. The Empire was more or less stable for a good 100 years, Lombardy, Verona, and Pisa were granted independence but other than that it held firm and has even pretty much destroyed the Orthodox faith. It did come close to collapsing once, there was an independence rebellion sitting at 80% warscore, unfortunately the leader of the rebellion was a maimed leper and died ending the rebellion. Due to some indirect help from me (stabbing until a cruel inbred abomination took the throne, and very liberal raiding of the Byzantine coastlines that bordered on open warfare) Aquitaine, half of Brittany and probably a bit more than half of Italy managed to successfully rebel. So its kinda been sorting itself out but its taking a long time, unfortunately despite the fact the Arabian Empire is really freaking huge because Byzantium is catholic and pretty much borders everyone, every time the muslims try to invade a huge catholic alliance pushes them back.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
Sometimes they just need a critical loss, I think.

A mega Francia/HRE declared war on my ally and I joined in. I swatted away numerous stacks of 40K troops with my retinues in good terrain before they finally quit that war. Almost immediately after they experienced a total collapse. I'm not sure if the incidents were related but they were sure as hell supremely stable before this loss.

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

HenessyHero posted:

Sometimes they just need a critical loss, I think.

A mega Francia/HRE declared war on my ally and I joined in. I swatted away numerous stacks of 40K troops with my retinues in good terrain before they finally quit that war. Almost immediately after they experienced a total collapse. I'm not sure if the incidents were related but they were sure as hell supremely stable before this loss.

Their vassals probably loving hated them for raising the levies for so long, nevermind whatever gold, prestige and piety hits were taken afterwards. I don't know if there's an actual "you have failed us, don't let the door hit you in the rear end on the way out" mechanic, though.

e: Also, if any outstanding factions lost less than their liege, the "% of liege's forces" might have been pushed over the tipping point".

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

What are your preferred methods of weaking super dukes? I've got a couple in my spanish empire and stabbing just makes them younger. Do you generally wait for a peaceful time and incite them to rebel?

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.
So I just had a pretty intense game where I formed the Persian Empire as the Karens in just over 100 years... and I finally took a breath and looked at what the rest of the map was doing and apparently the Shiites had taken all of Spain and almost all of the de jure territories of the Francian and Holy Roman empires. I've played literally 100s of games of CK2 and I've never seen anything quite like that before.

Good show, CK2.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I'm now in the habit of razing every holding in Constaninople to the ground whenever Byzantium declares war on me to try and get a foothold again in Sicily. It's oddly satisfying despite being completely unnecessary since wiping out their landing forces with naval bombs is usually enough for a 100% warscore, and the likely civil war right after is the cherry on top.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince
So, uh. Remember my last post where I told about Rurik forming Rus and launching a successful invasion for Denmark? I forgot to mention he was in a regular marriage with the queen of Svidjod, which was already basically de jure Sweden. The queen died and one of Rurik's sons got the title (not Helgi though, he's still waiting for his lands while Rurik is 70 and still going strong). This son died pretty shortly and now Rurik's granddaughter rules Sweden.

Or she doesn't, since Rurik somehow got the claim for Sweden and took it from his own granddaughter.

(Rurik wasn't listed as the first attacked though, some Jarl was. It's even more hilarious if some vassal decided to kiss his liege's rear end by pressing the claim against his granddaughter.)

Yeah, it's 900 and Rus, Sweden and most of Denmark are the same realm.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Leb posted:

So, any other "CK2 was my first real Paradox game" guys on here? Thoughts on EUIV from a CK2 player's perspective?

It didn't really enjoy the demo. I enjoy the family politics of Ck2 and messing around with that and that isn't a feature in EU4 as it has a different focus.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Leb posted:

So I just had a pretty intense game where I formed the Persian Empire as the Karens in just over 100 years... and I finally took a breath and looked at what the rest of the map was doing and apparently the Shiites had taken all of Spain and almost all of the de jure territories of the Francian and Holy Roman empires. I've played literally 100s of games of CK2 and I've never seen anything quite like that before.

Good show, CK2.

That actually happened in my first serious Old Gods game. I should pick that one up again, Europe was gonna be easy pickins with Catholicism so weak.

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
Ugh. It's half past 900 and somehow, the Karlings blobbed together an Empire of Francia constituted of East Francia, West Francia, and Italy, with my homeboy Lotharingia stuck in the middle; I had hopes for Hungary not blobbing this time, and up until 900 the Slavs and some of the larger chiefdoms on the steppes had kept them in check, until Tengri reformed and only the Byzantine Empire have kept Bulgaria from getting swallowed whole; the Arabian Empire somehow got together and is now firmly cockblocking the Byzantines any time they get their poo poo together long enough to declare a Holy War on one of the border emirates; Abyssinia is larger than I've ever seen them, considering how much of a colossal tosser Egypt's been (ah, how I'd miss the clowncar full of Muslims). All in all, this is the blobiest game of CK2 I've played yet.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Leb posted:

Good show, CK2.

In my current Ghengis Khan game the Latin Empire appeared in France.

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Ah, the Varys strategy...

It may be the strategy of a sneaky eunuch, but it certainly works well. Assassinating popular rulers so that their weaker heirs take over is a great way to provoke a collapse of a kingdom.

dPB
Aug 2, 2006
Captain Awesome
So I've formed Britannia as Ireland (my first empire) and I gave all the kingdoms except Ireland to dynasty members (Some of you are probably shaking your heads now), would it be advisable to switch to Tanistry succession? There's a lot of talk about elective but no one's mentioned Tanistry.

Arcadion
Mar 3, 2005
Tanistry is super-easy mode. I've done the same as you, an Irish Empire with every king vassal a family member, and I've never had a single succession crisis even though I now rule 80% of the entire map.
Sometimes a non-family member will try to press a claim on one of the kingdoms but then the whole family will pile on him to help their kinsman. The poor guy never stands a chance.
Actually it makes the game so easy it's getting a bit boring. You just don't have a lot of control on who will be your next Emperor since your family members apparently love to elect some random cousin.

Arcadion fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Aug 9, 2013

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Geokinesis posted:

It didn't really enjoy the demo. I enjoy the family politics of Ck2 and messing around with that and that isn't a feature in EU4 as it has a different focus.

You probably still won't like EU4 if you mostly enjoy murdering brothers and stuff but it's worth pointing out that the EU4 demo probably isn't all that representative of the game as a whole because of the limited starting nations and the 1492 start date. You're kind of choosing between the invincible super-empire OE, a peaceful colonial game in Portugal, the mega-powerful post-Netherlands-inheritance Austria, or Venice who is stuck in a fairly poor situation with basically everyone hating the gently caress out of them. Also, EU3 seemed to have a more developed mod scene than CK2 does and if that carries onto EU4 (with Steam Workshop integration, I would hope so) there's likely to be far more mods that focus on changing the core gameplay (see EU3 unmodded compared to EU3+ for example).

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

dPB posted:

So I've formed Britannia as Ireland (my first empire) and I gave all the kingdoms except Ireland to dynasty members (Some of you are probably shaking your heads now), would it be advisable to switch to Tanistry succession? There's a lot of talk about elective but no one's mentioned Tanistry.

Tanistry is like elective, maybe bit harder to get the heir you want, but it is more than compensated by all candidates being your dynasty so you'll not lose all titles to some random schmuck.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Frankly I am impressed that you have a Shia Caliphate at all! I have been playing vanilla in anticipation of the converter and, without fail, those poor Shia never get off the ground.

I have Shia but no Sunni in my current game.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Assassinating pretenders just after the X for King faction confronts the player but before the civil war happens never gets old.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Last night I captured the Pope while raiding Rome as Ivar the Boneless and was very disappointed there's no special event for sacrificing him. Just got the normal Christian event, with the same amount of piety/prestige I'd get for sacrificing some nobody. Shame.

Also the sons of Ragnar really should have a 'murdered my dad' opinion malus towards King Aella of Northumbria. And they should be able to carve the blood eagle into his back.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
How do i bring back the alerts at the top middle of the screen? I accidentally removed the 'titles can be created' and the 'legal imprisonment opportunity' ones and even resetting message options didn't help

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

Nuclear War posted:

How do i bring back the alerts at the top middle of the screen? I accidentally removed the 'titles can be created' and the 'legal imprisonment opportunity' ones and even resetting message options didn't help
Over on the right by your list of holdings somewhere you should be able to choose what is shown, one of these options will deal with your cancelled/hidden alerts.

I know this because I once somehow managed to get rid of the betrothed can marry prompt and couldn;t get it back until i realised it showed up in this list.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

Trauma Tank posted:

Over on the right by your list of holdings somewhere you should be able to choose what is shown, one of these options will deal with your cancelled/hidden alerts.

I know this because I once somehow managed to get rid of the betrothed can marry prompt and couldn;t get it back until i realised it showed up in this list.

That was it. thanks mate

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

So I'm playing my first Old Gods start date game as Pomerania. Are Super Denmark and Super Sweden normal occurrences? This is without using CK2+.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Dr. Tough posted:

So I'm playing my first Old Gods start date game as Pomerania. Are Super Denmark and Super Sweden normal occurrences? This is without using CK2+.

Yes. Those are two of the Sons of Lodbrok, and all four of them tend to do fairly well. In my experience, SviÞjod (af Munso/Bjorn Ironside) forms Sweden very quickly and is by far the easiest way for a player to form the Scandinavian Empire.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Ofaloaf posted:

Assassinating pretenders just after the X for King faction confronts the player but before the civil war happens never gets old.

Personally I like seeing the realm get torn by civil war and the reigning Emperor nearly get toppled, but then I, playing as a minor nobody in a corner of the Empire, assassinate the pretender and the war suddenly and unceremoniously ends.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Eltoasto posted:

What are your preferred methods of weaking super dukes? I've got a couple in my spanish empire and stabbing just makes them younger. Do you generally wait for a peaceful time and incite them to rebel?

Wait for them to rebel, banish them.

My last game as King Lombardy, Sicily and Burgandy, some italian gently caress ended up with Pisa, Sicily and Dauphin :psyduck: and he incited a rebellion in the middle of my conquestia of Valincia. My wrathful, proud, god fearing Karl V was not happy. Bannished his rear end, then stabbed him. Something I could afford to do, since he had 5000 gold (wtc was with that, I don't know.)

:black101: is basically your moto.

Tank Sinatra
Dec 26, 2012

Broken Cog posted:

So, I found the former Shia Caliph chilling out in the court of one of my minor vassals in Sweden, any idea on how he ended up there?

Managed to convert him to Norse, and he's currently bethrothed to one of my sisters(I had to assassinate all four of his wives first). Let's see if I can't turn the entire Shia Caliphate Norse.

I had something similar. I started a game as King of Jerusalem on the Third Crusade bookmark. I joined a crusade for Anatolia, which was owned by the Sultan of Rum. At the same time, the Shia rebellion happened. I won the crusade, and the Sultan was getting pasted by the Shias.

Just as I finished handing out my new Anatolian holdings, the whole chunk turned brown. Somehow, the Shia Caliph was awarded all the land I'd just won. The half of Rum left over from the crusade was untouched, and the Caliph was now liege to a bunch of Franks, including both of my sons.

This had a few odd effects.
-Some of these Franks apparently weren't real dedicated to Frankishness and changed culture with a quickness. I eventually had a blonde guy in a turban named Inglebert ibn Inglebert.
-I declared war as soon as I could to get Anatolia back. I won easily, but in the process I killed my own heir apparent, who was fighting for his new boss the Caliph.
-After I won, I had the Caliph as my vassal. He never liked me very much.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Okay, I have to be doing something wrong. So I'm finally starting CK2 (after holding off under the principle of 'never buy a Paradox game before 2-3 expansions') and trying the 'easy' Ireland start. So far I'm 3 for 3 of games where I'm wiped off the map by Ivar the Boneless within 20 years. Even going out of my way to not provoke him, inevitably I've got a doomstack that outnumbers me 5 to 1 bearing down on me before my first heir even reaches adulthood. Is there a different recommended starting point for a 867 game or am I just drat unlucky?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
For an 867 game most of the easy starts are Norse. Ireland is definitely not one of the easy starts.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Start at 1066 for Ireland.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Tempest_56 posted:

Okay, I have to be doing something wrong. So I'm finally starting CK2 (after holding off under the principle of 'never buy a Paradox game before 2-3 expansions') and trying the 'easy' Ireland start. So far I'm 3 for 3 of games where I'm wiped off the map by Ivar the Boneless within 20 years. Even going out of my way to not provoke him, inevitably I've got a doomstack that outnumbers me 5 to 1 bearing down on me before my first heir even reaches adulthood. Is there a different recommended starting point for a 867 game or am I just drat unlucky?

Oh lordy. 867 is a new start date where Ivar and his Norse mates OWN the British Isles and Scandinavia. The Tutorial Island Ireland that everyone talks about is at the 1066 bookmark.

edit- Comedy Norse Dublin start and form Ireland that way.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Play as Nantes. It's fast and fun.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
I finally finished my goals for creating games that I will import to EUIV. I really enjoy seeing other peoples screenshots so I thought I would post some of my own, hope no one gets annoyed by all the images.
My goal was to restore the roman empire and to make a separate save where I have mended the schism because I really want to see what that does in EUIV. You might think my game looks strangely "nice", that's because I used the console to end all civil wars before saving so that I wouldn't import any temporarily broken realms.

Mission accomplished:

State of the world, kinda:

This guys father was a "lowborn" Karling bastard that I married to one of my daughters, then holy wared him some land in Spain and gave it to him and let him continue being Catholic since in the 867 start the muslims tend to overrun the constantly in-fighting Karling Catholics. Weirdly enough he wouldn't accept a matrilinear marriage which is why the game crated a new dynasty for him.

This guy however did accept a matrilinear marriage, made him the same way as the previous guy.

Now this guy...As you can see he started out in the small 2 county duchy between Aragon and Castille on the map. Created him the same way as the previous 2 guys. Totally by accident (the Karlings tend to die really often) he ended up inheriting Italy.

This guys father, same as the previous guys, matrilinear marriage to a Karling. The muslims had conquered Toulouse and was on their way of taking all of France so I had to do something to save them. After giving him the conquered land I tagged over to him and swore fealty to the French king.

Really happy I managed to reach my goal before this guys realm implodes from all titles being Gavelkind.

"Sweetjod"

Not long before this the Shia rose for the second time. Their first "try" ended up with a Seljuk boot up their rear end.

Religion and culture:

I've only had 1 succession crisis so far, guess I've been lucky with all those king vassals, I run elective.

This is what it looks like after mending the Schism, I will not continue playing after this, this was purely to import into EUIV.

All in all a very good/fun game, one of my best ever. I had to limit my expansion severely otherwise I would just had conquered everything. The byzantine start in 867 is incredibly strong. I also only had to really cheat one time and that was when I re-created the republic of Venice after conquering it since the patricians refuse to marry their heirs even though they have the money to pay for it which causes a sever risk of their dynasty dying out. I had to use the pollinate command so much my hands hurt from typing all character IDs.

Hope you like my pictures and if someone wants the savegame(s) I could upload them somewhere. I have 3 saves, 1 with the Byzantine Empire, 1 with the Roman Empire and 1 with the Roman Empire with the Schism mended.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

So if I play as an Anglo Saxon in 867 and stop the norse tide, will English culture ever form or will I stay Anglo?

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Omnicarus posted:

So if I play as an Anglo Saxon in 867 and stop the norse tide, will English culture ever form or will I stay Anglo?

From what I can tell from culture_conversion_events.txt (I am not good with this scripting though) the English melting pot should start triggering after the year 1100 if you are Saxon or Norman.

csidle
Jul 31, 2007

I'm currently in 1355 as the Emperor of Scandinavia. I've got 8-9 Kingdoms under me, as well as being the head of the New Norse religion. I've also created the Empire of Britannia. I haven't changed the succession laws ever, so my titles are gonna be split, with the primary one going to the oldest child. Given that I expect a ruler change within 15-20 years, I'm thinking about my succession laws. They're actually fine as it is, I figure, since all that matters to me is that I keep the Empire of Scandinavia. I figure, though, that it's probably not a good idea to have one of my heirs become the Emperor of Britannia. Does it make any sense that I'd destroy the British Empire now, given that I don't really care about it anyway? It's all under Scandinavia on the map, anyway.

Evil Queen Bee
Sep 7, 2011

Tempest_56 posted:

I recently have a thing for starting as East Anglia in 867 and your best bet for playing in the Isles is quickly marrying into an alliance with one of the major Karling powers to save yourself. In my last game I even flexed that into simultaneously going on a Holy War for York. I made peace while the rest of the English kingdoms continued to get pounded. Eventually I built up enough piety to ask the Pope for an invasion of Mercia and now I control the entire center of England in the 870s.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

csidle posted:

I'm currently in 1355 as the Emperor of Scandinavia. I've got 8-9 Kingdoms under me, as well as being the head of the New Norse religion. I've also created the Empire of Britannia. I haven't changed the succession laws ever, so my titles are gonna be split, with the primary one going to the oldest child. Given that I expect a ruler change within 15-20 years, I'm thinking about my succession laws. They're actually fine as it is, I figure, since all that matters to me is that I keep the Empire of Scandinavia. I figure, though, that it's probably not a good idea to have one of my heirs become the Emperor of Britannia. Does it make any sense that I'd destroy the British Empire now, given that I don't really care about it anyway? It's all under Scandinavia on the map, anyway.
Yeah, it all shows as your primary title. If you're set on keeping Gavelkind, definitely destroy Brittania, or else your second-eldest kid is gonna walk away with that title, independence, and quite possibly all of Brittania, I'm not sure how that'll work, actually. He'll at least have claims.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

If you have sunset invasion enabled is that a 100% chance they will invade? I made it past the 1300's in my old-gods game but no Aztecs and I even had an event mentioning them stealing my boats. Did old gods break them?

• Locked thread