Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
I ordered a Delorean from Lego.com Monday with a backorder date of 8/22 but now I have a tracking email that says it will be here Thursday :coal:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Got my Delorean today and it looks like somebody sat on the box before they put it in the nicely padded shipping box. Weird.

ElZilcho
Apr 4, 2007

Pretty cool review of the Mindstorms EV3. It's definitely on my buy list.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/08/review-lego-mindstorms-ev3-means-giant-robots-powerful-computers/

Hopefully it'll allow me to build a much improved version of this handy can dispenser. Actually it wasn't that handy at all. The next one will chill the cans with peltier elements and possibly guide the tracked can carrier with the IR blocks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWvoMnHIIqM

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Holy poo poo, most of these are pretty cool but I think you've outdone yourself. This one is unbelievably gorgeous.

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander
A Delorean is nice and all... but where is my Time traveling flying train?!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Gabriel Pope posted:

Holy poo poo, most of these are pretty cool but I think you've outdone yourself. This one is unbelievably gorgeous.

Thanks man. I appreciate it! I think it's one of my favorites as well; I always enjoy the mechs where I first explore a certain design idea.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

slightpirate posted:

If the Delorean is successful enough I could see them making a train or other BTTF sets similar to what they're doing with Minecraft.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

squarerandom posted:

Get building man! I bought it for my girlfriend since its one of her favorites movies, so I'm letting her soak in all the glory of the build :). I'll just put the minifigs together and take photos for Instagram and stuff with my other sets and figs. That's the other fun part to LEGO :haw:

I had to build a display for my minifigures before I started the Delorean so that it would fit on my Lego shelf. But built the Delorean today. I like the set. It's neat how they set it up to do all three builds with minimal work. In a couple places the instructions were a bit strange but overall pretty easy to follow. Also would have been nice to have numbered bags like normal sets, but I managed even with my small construction space.

Here it is on the shelf with my "horrible" small Star Wars sets and complete though mismatching bricks minifigure display.

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.

ltr posted:

I had to build a display for my minifigures before I started the Delorean so that it would fit on my Lego shelf. But built the Delorean today. I like the set. It's neat how they set it up to do all three builds with minimal work. In a couple places the instructions were a bit strange but overall pretty easy to follow. Also would have been nice to have numbered bags like normal sets, but I managed even with my small construction space.

Here it is on the shelf with my "horrible" small Star Wars sets and complete though mismatching bricks minifigure display.

We got some twinsies sets :3: and I wants that book for the Han Solo with medal. I think I might have to get it. I used to have my minifigs all one place, but now we have them mismatched on ships/settongs etc. old guy is totally helping defend the walls against the Urukai with knights and Spartans too.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

A couple of old friends while I test some new rendering settings:

Northern Lights Squad - Model CH2 (POV) by Captain^Foo, on Flickr

Raven Squad - Model O6B Super by Captain^Foo, on Flickr

These settings are actually just the same ones as I've been using, except edgelines have been disabled entirely. for some reason, this makes the rendering time increase dramatically, possibly 2x? I'd have to test specifically, but I haven't.

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer
Hey I got a thing! Looks like I know what i'm doing this weekend.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Coming home to delivered parcels is the best thing ever.

Just in case anyone still had any reservations about the Palace Cinema, let me just say that this is one of the most beautiful sets they've ever released - that colour scheme! Minor interior quibbles are offset by a fantastic exterior.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

squarerandom posted:

We got some twinsies sets :3: and I wants that book for the Han Solo with medal. I think I might have to get it. I used to have my minifigs all one place, but now we have them mismatched on ships/settongs etc. old guy is totally helping defend the walls against the Urukai with knights and Spartans too.

My mom bought me both the Star Wars minifig and the series minifig books (parents who buy their adult children Legos are the best!). I've got the ceremonial Princess Leia from Gold Leader's Y-Wing also. I think at this point it's required for me to get the old Star Wars vehicle book for ceremonial Luke. Then I need Chewie and C-3PO so I can make the last scene from A New Hope. But I need to finish getting the correct color bricks for my minifig display first and finish the two Blacktron I sets I'm rebuilding before I start something new. And there's Series 11 minifigs coming out in September...

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

He looks like he's seen a sexy robot and his eyes are popping out of his head, his tongue is rolling out of his mouth, and a comical AOOOOGA can be heard.

But in all seriousness, these are awesome! Keep up the good work, Captain Foo!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Neurion posted:

He looks like he's seen a sexy robot and his eyes are popping out of his head, his tongue is rolling out of his mouth, and a comical AOOOOGA can be heard.

But in all seriousness, these are awesome! Keep up the good work, Captain Foo!

Thanks, man. I might continue rendering and posting some of my back catalog while I continue to play with rendering settings.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

My 41999 + delorean apparently already had arrived at the office Monday, now that I'm back home I can actually see about picking it up. Also the westfield London store still had a couple of em on the shelf yesterday. And I now own more round 1x1 flat grey tiles and ninjago green cheeseslopes than I will ever need.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
Got home to the Fed Ex guy about to take my 41999 to the front office. The box looks super nice and feels like it's filled to the brim with parts. I'm pretty excited.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Holy poo poo guys I have an actual for serious no foolin' for realsies Back to the Future lego set sitting on my computer desk right this second. It seriously blows my mind that I just typed out the previous sentence. :monocle:

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Xenomrph posted:

Holy poo poo guys I have an actual for serious no foolin' for realsies Back to the Future lego set sitting on my computer desk right this second. It seriously blows my mind that I just typed out the previous sentence. :monocle:

You guys are so behind the times, my wife's has been on so many adventures at work. I want to have her bring it home and bring back the "one does not simply ______ into mordor" meme in conjunction with the black gate but I haven't pieced together what minifigs should be involved.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Dogen posted:

"one does not simply ______ into mordor"
...go 88mph?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Dogen posted:

You guys are so behind the times, my wife's has been on so many adventures at work. I want to have her bring it home and bring back the "one does not simply ______ into mordor" meme in conjunction with the black gate but I haven't pieced together what minifigs should be involved.

You're not thinking fourth-dimensionally! In 1885, that gate won't even be there!

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Aug 9, 2013

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
How long before someone modifies it to work on a Lego railroad track?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Colonial Air Force posted:

Pretty sure I saw a image of it on the lone ranger train set track.

Digital War
May 28, 2006

Ahhh, poetry.

Colonial Air Force posted:

You couldn't have it working on modern Lego railroad track, the car is 8 studs wide whilst the track is only 6. But you could do something with the old 12V tracks.
Saying that makes me wish I still have my old 12V tracks to try this.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Norns posted:

Pretty sure I saw a image of it on the lone ranger train set track.

Scale is a bit off, but here you go:

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/122553-lego-back-to-the-future-lone-ranger-constitution-train-chase-bttf-iii-gold

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Welp, guess I'm buying another Delorean set and the Lone Ranger train set.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
That's all fine and dandy, but I want this BttF train:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The lone ranger engine should be pretty easy to modify to look like that.. though I guess making the train wheels rotate 90 degrees could be problematic. But the rest of it is changing colors and adding bits and bobs to the exterior.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

slightpirate posted:

Dogen posted:

"one does not simply ______ into mordor"

One does not simply need roads where we're going (into Mordor)

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what
Echoing that the Delorean is actually a pretty build and I really really hope they do a full line (or even just two or three sets) of BTTF stuff.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Voodoo posted:

Echoing that the Delorean is actually a pretty build and I really really hope they do a full line (or even just two or three sets) of BTTF stuff.

They should. I mean there was an anime license, ANIME!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Voodoo posted:

Well, they've expanded the Minecraft set to two more, and that was a Cuusoo, so in theory, there's not much stopping them doing the same.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Just finished my delorean, I like the set and don't regret getting it, but considering its size it should have been half the price or maybe 2/3rds to match similarly sized sets.

E: Just saw the US price is 35$, which seems much better than 40 euros :(

Ika fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Aug 9, 2013

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

djfooboo posted:

They should. I mean there was an anime license, ANIME!

What anime license? Only thing I can think of that's remotely similar and licensed is Avatar the Last Airbender, which isn't anime.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

They had a mech theme a few years back, with anime eyes on all the minifigs, but it wasn't licensed at all, it was original LEGO. I think they just got the term "license" confused with "line".

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Travis343 posted:

They had a mech theme a few years back, with anime eyes on all the minifigs, but it wasn't licensed at all, it was original LEGO. I think they just got the term "license" confused with "line".

Ah, Exo-Force!

Digital War
May 28, 2006

Ahhh, poetry.
They also did Speed Racer.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

There doesn't seem to be any place in San Francisco to find "cheap" Lego sets. Everywhere is either selling everything at above MSRP or all they have is junk for their selection. I guess this is why I always buy my Legos online.

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

Exo-Force was pretty boss, those mechs took me right back to high school and my giant robot animes.

EDIT: Point is giant robots own and anyone who disagrees is by definition an uncool dude.

\/\/\/ This man gets it. :brofist:

Guzwar fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Aug 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If you like Legos and don't like giant robots you are in The Wrong Hobby.