Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Pre-purchased :c00lbert:

I know there's no way that the converter isn't going to be horribly broken somehow, but I want to believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Is there any interest in setting up a page for the most batshit crazy / least broken CK2-EU4 conversions? Like we had for Mass Effect 2 saves?

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Is the release going to use the demo game files?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It would be really nice to have a button to detach AI ally armies. Once they attach themselves to your army there's no way to get them off and all they do is eat up your manpower by incurring attrition.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Trujillo posted:

Saying that the Ottomans shouldn't be converting cultures and only teching up might not be the best way but we'll have to wait till launch to find out. To westernize you have to be a certain number of tech levels behind. Maybe it's better to fall behind early in the game when the tech advantage isn't that huge. You can just avoid teching up a certain category and use those points for cultural shifts. If you just kept teching up you would westernize way later and the difference in tech in the mid game is probably going to be way more decisive.

You'll be better off dropping those diplomacy points into Trade or Diplomacy instead of culture shifting. You'll generally not tech diplomacy early anyways, but you can't skip military techs as the lack of tactics will completely murder you and you need at least some admin techs for idea groups.

rhazes
Dec 17, 2006

Reduce the rectal spread!
Use glory holes instead!

An official message from the British Columbia Centre for Disease Control
Uh, so is the discount from owning other paradox games the cheapest place to preorder, or is GMG cheaper? What's the best GMG code currently? And if they're equal, which one gives the devs a larger slice of the pie?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Fister Roboto posted:

It would be really nice to have a button to detach AI ally armies. Once they attach themselves to your army there's no way to get them off and all they do is eat up your manpower by incurring attrition.

"Don't attach to me" button is on my todo.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Ghetto Prince posted:

Is there any interest in setting up a page for the most batshit crazy / least broken CK2-EU4 conversions? Like we had for Mass Effect 2 saves?

Oh I hope so! :getin:

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

rhazes posted:

Uh, so is the discount from owning other paradox games the cheapest place to preorder, or is GMG cheaper? What's the best GMG code currently? And if they're equal, which one gives the devs a larger slice of the pie?

GMG was cheaper for me with the £10 store credit, took it down to £30 for the deluxe edition vs. £36 on steam with the 10% discount. No coupons apply to any games on GMG when they offer cashback/store credit, as far as I know.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Uhg I'm too lazy to hex-edit the demo to play longer, but it's done its job of making me happy I pre-ordered. I was happy with it though and am excited to try the converter!! I'm sure there's going to be clown-boats full of balance issues and bugs though, but they'll get fixed up over the next month or so. Then as the DLC comes down the pipes it will keep getting better and better. I do hope for some interface improvements though.

I assume Paradox will be going more a CK2 route for DLC than EU3. ie: the base game will always be feature-full for everyone via patches, but there will be entirely optional DLC that flesh out certain countries or gameplay that you can optionally buy or ignore depending on what you like to play. Either way I'll end up buying them all because I'm an idiot who pays real money to give my leader a haircut.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

cheesetriangles posted:

Should I feel bad about hex editing the demo file if I already bought EU4 weeks ago?

You still can't save in the demo so I dont think it's that big of a deal. Especially if you wanna play a mildly challenging nation its kinda frustrating without being able to save scum at least a little.

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap
I expect the converter to just crash for this.

Box wine fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Aug 9, 2013

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Box wine posted:

I expect the convertor to just crash for this.

Colonization is going to be amazing

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Wiz posted:

"Don't attach to me" button is on my todo.

Wiz, you're the best.

Even though it's annoying when they attach at the wrong time, the attachment thing really is nice. As the Ottomans I was using 16k armies for no other reason than convenience, and was wondering if I should bother combining two armies to fight the Mamluqs (in retrospect I don't know why I hesistated, since the split in half button works so well; I guess I was just feeling extraordinarily lazy). All of a sudden Crimea marches their 16k army down and attaches it to my stack. :getin:

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Do later ship models suffer less attrition? Should I build a Carrack to explore the Atlantic or is an Early Carrack just the same? It's pretty hair-raising exploring one bit of ocean at a time before running home to repair and hoping they make it.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

EU4's battle AI is still incredibly frustrating. Allied troops will still happily let all of your soldiers get slaughtered as they sit around sieging useless provinces right next to major battles even though your forces combined could repel the enemy. And then once your forces get defeated of course theirs gets slaughtered in turn. Maybe one day this issue will be fixed in Paradox's games and the AI will actually co-operate with the player in warfare, but it's not in this iteration, which is a really big disappointment.

Also it took me like 8 years to convert Cueta as Portugal so I'm not sure what's the cause for the difference between our experiences is here.

I had the very strange experience of conquering Navarra as Portugal (to force them into a PU), while in one of England's anti-France wars, as a 21k French stack watched me over the French-Navarrese border. I guess Navarra preferred to be conquered rather than allow France military access?

That's a more complicated case, though, of course.

ThePutty posted:

So I ran into a little neat thing in my game as Austria.

I accidently formed Austria-Hungary in 1519. Bohemia has a personal union with Hungary, and I have a personal union with Bohemia. So you have a Jagiellon as the simultaneous king of Bohemia and Hungary and a Hapsburg as the simultaneous king of Austria and Bohemia. It's pretty neat.

I... how does Bohemia have two kings?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

PleasingFungus posted:

I... how does Bohemia have two kings?

Pffft, Sparta had 2 kings constantly.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

fuf posted:

Do later ship models suffer less attrition? Should I build a Carrack to explore the Atlantic or is an Early Carrack just the same? It's pretty hair-raising exploring one bit of ocean at a time before running home to repair and hoping they make it.

There was a tip on a loading screen I saw that said that around level 16 for the naval techs all of your ships stop taking damage in the open ocean.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

So I've acted like a moron, and rather than purchasing on Steam where I keep all my games, I bought EUIV over GamersGate. Any hope I'll be able to register it on Steam?

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Mokotow posted:

So I've acted like a moron, and rather than purchasing on Steam where I keep all my games, I bought EUIV over GamersGate. Any hope I'll be able to register it on Steam?

You'll get a Steam key from Gamersgate, so yeah.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

Mokotow posted:

It's all Steamworks, you'll get a Steam key and must, in fact, register it on Steam. The only problem you might run into is if you have CK2 on Steam the save game converter you'll get won't work as you'll be getting the GG one.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

cheesetriangles posted:

Should I feel bad about hex editing the demo file if I already bought EU4 weeks ago?

Nah. Particularly if you've preordered it, it's still crippleware with no day one patch, save ability, etc.

Honestly, anyone who actually cares enough about the game to find out how to hack it and then hex edit it is probably a nearly guaranteed sale anyway. Any jerk planning on pirating it would do so regardless of this tweak.

rhazes
Dec 17, 2006

Reduce the rectal spread!
Use glory holes instead!

An official message from the British Columbia Centre for Disease Control
I've pretty much sworn off most online game account stores. Origin refused to honor their own refund procedures with SimCity, and when GameFly took over Direct2Drive I lost games that they never ported over, with no recompense (and for the paradox relation to this, one of those games was Arsenal of Democracy.) The only half-decent online stores are Steam, Greenmangaming, and GoG. I won't buy anywhere else now.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

rhazes posted:

I've pretty much sworn off most online game account stores. Origin refused to honor their own refund procedures with SimCity, and when GameFly took over Direct2Drive I lost games that they never ported over, with no recompense (and for the paradox relation to this, one of those games was Arsenal of Democracy.) The only half-decent online stores are Steam, Greenmangaming, and GoG. I won't buy anywhere else now.

Gamersgate?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

I'm confused by something. The Ottomans by default steer trade away from Crimea to Kiev and not Constantinople. I can only fix this by sending a merchant there. Why does this happen?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Orange Devil posted:

I'm confused by something. The Ottomans by default steer trade away from Crimea to Kiev and not Constantinople. I can only fix this by sending a merchant there. Why does this happen?

That's not the Ottomans doing that, that's Lithuania and Moldavia (at game start). Anyone can theoretically steer trade from any node.

edit: Oh, the default non-merchant behavior for that node is to transfer forward. I think this is a generic action that occurs because you have a trade node downstream of it, but it doesn't go anywhere normally because you don't have a merchant there to steer it. However, Lithuania and Moldavia steering trade towards Kiev brings all the money you're transferring forward with them. Sending a merchant there to mess with that and to send your money to Constantinople just encouraged everyone in Europe to shift their attention to Constantinople and steer trade towards Venice. I can't tell if this is intended behavior or not.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Aug 9, 2013

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Having hosed around a bit with the modified demo I'm actually a lot happier with how the game shapes up, for whatever reason being non-European makes you suck at everything so conversions and claims take much longer even when the provinces involved are dirt poor, plus Asia has much less room for easy growth. I guess I just won't play as a Western power ever, which isn't that different from how I played EU3 anyway.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I think I have a pretty solid grasp on trade mechanics now. I think trade power is kind of a misnomer because it really helps to think of it more as trade pressure. You exert pressure on a node and that causes the flow of trade to behave differently, with the end objective of diverting as much trade to your capital's trade zone as possible. A good example of this in practice is Constantinople - a lot of trade routes flow into Constantinople, but there's only one route out, to Ragusa. So it could be a good idea to place a merchant and a fleet in Ragusa, downstream. This causes the flow of trade out of Constantinople to slow down (and with enough trade pressure you can eventually reverse the flow), so that you're able to collect more trade in Constantinople. Later on when you acquire more merchants you can place them upstream to divert more trade flow towards Constantinople.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Fister Roboto posted:

I think I have a pretty solid grasp on trade mechanics now. I think trade power is kind of a misnomer because it really helps to think of it more as trade pressure. You exert pressure on a node and that causes the flow of trade to behave differently, with the end objective of diverting as much trade to your capital's trade zone as possible. A good example of this in practice is Constantinople - a lot of trade routes flow into Constantinople, but there's only one route out, to Ragusa. So it could be a good idea to place a merchant and a fleet in Ragusa, downstream. This causes the flow of trade out of Constantinople to slow down (and with enough trade pressure you can eventually reverse the flow), so that you're able to collect more trade in Constantinople. Later on when you acquire more merchants you can place them upstream to divert more trade flow towards Constantinople.

What do you do to slow down leakage from Constantinople? From what I figure, the most you can do is collect in both Constantinople and Ragusa which prevents people from forwarding money from both nodes. If Europe can't steer trade away from Ragusa then they might eventually give up on Constantinople as well. Applying double pressure to both nodes seems to be the best way to prevent most of Europe from taking your trade value. Steering power forward to Constantinople to Ragusa doesn't seem to have any affect at all in preventing other countries from steering trade from Constantinople to Ragusa and out of that to the rest of Europe. I've never seen trade value go upstream so I'm doubly curious about how you "reverse the flow."

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So in my diplomacy points thing one of the bonuses is "diplomatic relations 1/4" but I have no idea what this is. I thought it was my one alliance but after I made another one it was still 1/4.

I'm sort of almost getting the new trade system but it's still confusing to me and it's never quite apparent what the "best" thing to do is. Is it better to divert more trade to the node by my capital, or is it better to have a merchant on that node extracting? Does only the node by your capital give you money, or do you get money if you own places along the way? And if you own places along the way is it better to extract from those nodes or extract from nodes further down?

I started to colonize south america and the routes there went from adding no trade to adding a little bit so the effect was obvious. But is my only income from colonies via tht trade mechanic or am I making a "tax" or what ever off them as well? As in, if one were to colonize in a location that had trade not going to their empire is that usless, or just not optimal?

And what exactly do the buildings that increase trade power do? Do trade-power buildings in my homeland let me pull a bigger share of money out of the node? What about trade buildings further up-stream?

And what if you are playing in asia or a place where trade is flowing FROM? What would you want to do then? Try to stop the flow of trade out?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah, that's what I meant. Putting a merchant in Ragusa causes the flow out of Constantinople to slow down. Well, technically it actually sends some trade pressure backwards at an 80% penalty, but it's easier to visualize it as slowing the outward flow down. I'm mostly just hypothesizing that eventually you could get enough trade pressure to reverse the flow entirely.

Baronjutter posted:

So in my diplomacy points thing one of the bonuses is "diplomatic relations 1/4" but I have no idea what this is.

That's how many alliances and vassalages (unions maybe?) you currently have. Each relation over four causes you to lose a diplo point each month.

Also another thing that isn't readily obvious is that you automatically collect taxes from the trade node that your capitol belongs to. Placing a merchant there does give you a 10% bonus to the amount collected, and also obviously increases the trade pressure on that node.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Aug 9, 2013

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
So does patrolling your home trade node that you're collecting from actually do something useful? I saw that the trade power increased but I didn't make any extra money like when I used it to patron on one of the forwarding trade nodes instead.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Lord Tywin posted:

So does patrolling your home trade node that you're collecting from actually do something useful? I saw that the trade power increased but I didn't make any extra money like when I used it to patron on one of the forwarding trade nodes instead.

Yes, it increases the amount of pressure you exert on the node. The amount you collect is proportional to the percentage of the total pressure you exert on the node. So if the node has a net trade value of $10, Country A exerts 50 trade power, Country B exerts 30, and Country C exerts 20, then A will take home $5, B will take $3, and C will take $2.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I must say, it seems really easy to turn the entire Balkans from Orthodox Serbs/Romanians/Bulgarians into Sunni Turks. You can basically do it in the course of the demo, which is less than thirty years.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!
By preordering through Gamefly, did I preclude myself from getting the unit pack, Byzantium DLC, and CK2 converter?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah, that's what I meant. Putting a merchant in Ragusa causes the flow out of Constantinople to slow down. Well, technically it actually sends some trade pressure backwards at an 80% penalty, but it's easier to visualize it as slowing the outward flow down. I'm mostly just hypothesizing that eventually you could get enough trade pressure to reverse the flow entirely.

I think you're misunderstanding something about the trade routes here. You can transfer trade power from Ragusa upstream to Constantinople, yes, but that power transfer doesn't inherently slow down the flow in that route. You can retain more trade value in Constantinople with the added trade power, if you're collecting there, but that's just what trade power does in a node when you're collecting in it. Increasing the power transfer from Ragusa to Constantinople will just add more power to Constantinople to further lock down that node. It's a bad idea to add ships to the Ragusa node if you're transferring power because that power gets transferred at a loss when you could just directly put that power in Constantinople instead by patrolling that.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Gort posted:

I must say, it seems really easy to turn the entire Balkans from Orthodox Serbs/Romanians/Bulgarians into Sunni Turks. You can basically do it in the course of the demo, which is less than thirty years.
Yeah, I can believe Paradox when they say that it's balanced becuase spending all that power fucks up your tech, but it's still not realistic which is a different problem.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Wait navies do stuff with trade? Do they need to be in the sea zone or just docked in a province connected?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

That's not the Ottomans doing that, that's Lithuania and Moldavia (at game start). Anyone can theoretically steer trade from any node.

edit: Oh, the default non-merchant behavior for that node is to transfer forward. I think this is a generic action that occurs because you have a trade node downstream of it, but it doesn't go anywhere normally because you don't have a merchant there to steer it. However, Lithuania and Moldavia steering trade towards Kiev brings all the money you're transferring forward with them. Sending a merchant there to mess with that and to send your money to Constantinople just encouraged everyone in Europe to shift their attention to Constantinople and steer trade towards Venice. I can't tell if this is intended behavior or not.

No I'm pretty sure there's some other fuckery afoot. When I didn't have a merchant the default behaviour of my trade power was indeed to steer forward. So when I sent some Light Ships to increase my trade power, there was less trade value left in the node. However, all of this was going to Kiev. You're right that some other nations had merchants sending trade to Kiev. However, why would my default behaviour be to send it to Kiev, and why would my ships be supporting that behaviour, when Constantinople is just as far away?

Either way, when I sent a merchant it made a huge, huge swing from sending 2/3 of the trade value to Kiev to sending 95% of the trade value to Constantinople.

If this is intended behaviour, it wasn't mentioned anywhere in the Trade tutorial that sending ships to trade nodes without merchants present might actually be a bad idea and help your enemies, nor is it clear from the tooltips that the default Ottoman power from provinces and ships sending trade forward action does not actually send it forward to Constantinople at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

Wait navies do stuff with trade? Do they need to be in the sea zone or just docked in a province connected?

Light ships can protect trade, there's a button for it when you have a fleet selected. Each Barque adds 3 power to a node it's protecting.

Orange Devil posted:

No I'm pretty sure there's some other fuckery afoot. When I didn't have a merchant the default behaviour of my trade power was indeed to steer forward. So when I sent some Light Ships to increase my trade power, there was less trade value left in the node. However, all of this was going to Kiev. You're right that some other nations had merchants sending trade to Kiev. However, why would my default behaviour be to send it to Kiev, and why would my ships be supporting that behaviour, when Constantinople is just as far away?

Either way, when I sent a merchant it made a huge, huge swing from sending 2/3 of the trade value to Kiev to sending 95% of the trade value to Constantinople.

You're not sending the trade anywhere. It's just a generic "transfer forward" action that uses your power to transfer wealth, but since you don't have a merchant there it doesn't go anywhere. So the Ottomans themselves aren't sending that trade to Kiev. Lithuania and Moldavia are sending a small amount of trade to Kiev, but for whatever reason, the amount you're sending forward gets sent with them, because it's the only route trade is being steered down. If they weren't there, I suspect the trade would stay in the node instead. I suspect this might be a bug but I'm not sure.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Aug 9, 2013

• Locked thread