Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Bummey posted:

Puzzle and Dragontalk. Is there any trick to killing these rear end in a top hat metal dragons (and other evo item enemies that take one damage from every attack) because this poo poo is annoying as all get out.

From a bit back, but seriously read the OP in the P&D thread. That alone will make the game a lot less grindy and help you avoid a lot of the bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I need suggestions for simple games with loads of content. Stuff like Flow, Trainyard or Blendoku, where I can play them while watching a video or something. I'm having loads of fun with puzzle games that don't really require too much attention and I can just sort of keep going through absent mindedly. Not -easy- as such, but not particularly mind melting.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Hey Nimblebit, I didn't notice this until 148Apps did a review about it today, but someone released a rip-off of Sky Burger named High Burger:

http://appshopper.com/games/high-burger

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em
Trip report on Ultima Forever: 50% crash to desktop on zoning with iPad retina running iOS 6.1.3
Long load screens of just a black background
Requires a Facebook account to login.

Not worth the time it took to install and then patch. Skip it

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Gegil posted:

Trip report on Ultima Forever: 50% crash to desktop on zoning with iPad retina running iOS 6.1.3
Long load screens of just a black background
Requires a Facebook account to login.

Not worth the time it took to install and then patch. Skip it

You didn't have it installed long enough but it also spams the poo poo out of your notification center unless you disable that. Goofy messages after 24 hours about how much the app misses you and you should totally come back to Brittania or Lord British will be sad.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
In The Simpsons: Tapped Out as StarfighterPilot. I've just started and am on level 6.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

robodex posted:

Thanks to whoever gave the tip for Fairway Solitaire for free tip earlier in the thread, it's a pretty fun game. Although I can definitely tell it's balanced around getting you to buy the ingame currency since I'm already hitting stages that are seemingly impossible with the number of cards they give me unless I get really, really lucky.

Seconding this, but yes, all of a sudden it's got impossible to progress, took me a while to realise why!

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Zero Star posted:

In The Simpsons: Tapped Out as StarfighterPilot. I've just started and am on level 6.

I'm addicted and added you.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
For those that love the "choice of games" books (Choice of a Dragon, Vampire, Romance, Life as a wizard, etc...) a new one is out called Paradox Factor, by the creator of Life as a Wizard. This one deals with time travel, and as you probably guess the game revolves around you jumping around in time making various choices that keep altering the time line. It's pretty fascinating, well-written, and thought-provoking. I recommend it.

Paradox Factor iTunes Link

Touch Arcade Review: http://toucharcade.com/2013/08/08/paradox-factor-review/

Just a warning though that if you cancel it out of memory and reload it you'll have to restart over. You can exit out of the game. You just can't close it down. Supposedly there's a patch coming that will fix that.

Bulletproof Tiger
Nov 2, 2010

MooCowlian posted:

I need suggestions for simple games with loads of content. Stuff like Flow, Trainyard or Blendoku, where I can play them while watching a video or something. I'm having loads of fun with puzzle games that don't really require too much attention and I can just sort of keep going through absent mindedly. Not -easy- as such, but not particularly mind melting.

Honeycomb Hotel and Sherlock sound right up your alley. There are free versions with a couple of puzzles to see if you like it, and then paid versions for a shitload more puzzles.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

robodex posted:

Thanks to whoever gave the tip for Fairway Solitaire for free tip earlier in the thread, it's a pretty fun game. Although I can definitely tell it's balanced around getting you to buy the ingame currency since I'm already hitting stages that are seemingly impossible with the number of cards they give me unless I get really, really lucky.

I'm at the same point. Putting four 5s on top of the whole pile of cards then making me burn 95% of my deck to get a 4 or 6 is just stupid.

It's a great game, but I can definitely see myself deleting it sooner than later if these stupid levels keep showing up.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
They keep getting worse. I'm only on the 3rd set and they alternate between levels full of sand traps and levels full of water traps :suicide:

I think the worst part is you can't restart a stage, just an entire level, so if you are on the 5th "hole" out of 6 and you end with a +10 your only option is just to restart the entire thing and start from level 1. And this game costs money normally which makes the AP even more egregious :smith:

Kepa
Jul 23, 2011

My goal as a game developer is just to make gnome puns
I'm making this trailer public tomorrow, here's a SNEAK PEEK:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNqfTceGAW4

Let me know if the art style looks interesting or not, or any nitpicks with the reveal trailer. Can't fix any problems with this one, but can keep things in mind for when I do a future trailer.

Death Road to Canada is the one I was talking about that was King of Dragon Pass inspired. Interactive Fiction Choose Your Own Adventure stuff between exploring and looting randomly generated cities, gibbing zombies, and finding survivors to recruit. The people you find generally have random appearances, names, personalities, and traits. Kind of hard to really nail the importance of the choice and personality stuff in a quick trailer, but I tried to at least hint that it exists.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world

Kepa posted:

Death Road to Canada

I like it. It made me laugh. I'd buy it. You're cool.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Kepa posted:

Let me know if the art style looks interesting or not, or any nitpicks with the reveal trailer. Can't fix any problems with this one, but can keep things in mind for when I do a future trailer.

Death Road to Canada is the one I was talking about that was King of Dragon Pass inspired. Interactive Fiction Choose Your Own Adventure stuff between exploring and looting randomly generated cities, gibbing zombies, and finding survivors to recruit. The people you find generally have random appearances, names, personalities, and traits. Kind of hard to really nail the importance of the choice and personality stuff in a quick trailer, but I tried to at least hint that it exists.

Holy poo poo that looks amazing! Add some tricker character like king of dragon pass.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Kepa posted:

Man I'd play the poo poo out of this. I like the way dudes walk. And please tell me that's a zombie dude helping you fight other zombies.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Kepa posted:

loving awesome. Looks like the best goon made iOS game yet.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Kepa posted:

Looks great and can't wait to see it hit the store! Also, I just now noticed that I need to respond to people, places and things with: "Cool it."

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Kepa posted:

Going to buy the gently caress out of this game. Looks amazing.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Kepa posted:

This looks awesome. I'll definitely pick it up when it comes out.

Kepa
Jul 23, 2011

Whoa thanks.

Corridor posted:

Man I'd play the poo poo out of this. I like the way dudes walk. And please tell me that's a zombie dude helping you fight other zombies.

Are you talking about the older guy with eyepatch? We were thinking about having a zombie dog. Our plan is to have people find both randomly generated survivors (with their own perks and personalities) and rarer, unique survivors that are weirder. Our goal is to have shitloads of rare and Easter Egg style stuff.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Looks great but seems to be more actiony than cyoa/rpgish, doesnt seem to be much looting and stuff either. All that still under wraps and in dev?

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006
you feed the girls to other girls

:stare:
I just wanted to chime in here and say that if you didn't like or buy Civilization Revolution before, don't do it now.

I liked that they upped the difficulty, because even Deity was pretty easy before, but the numerous in-app purchases that totally break the game and the giant bump in how much the AI cheats have turned me off. The new Civ-specific wonders are totally unbalanced, with some giving giant culture boosts to already strong Civs (India) and some being totally worthless (America). And the new Civ-specific great people are either totally worthless or super useful. There's just no balance.

But the cheating! Before, if you had an enemy ship next to your town, it wouldn't move, but from one turn to the next you'd see it go from having no units on it to having an entire army. Now, not only does it do that, but if you have one "fog of war" square anywhere, enemy stacks will just pour out of it. Like, there's secretly an enemy ship there, even though if you move to that area suddenly enemy units stop appearing (because there's no freaking ship). I had one game where I discovered some islands that were totally uninhabited, and I had total visibility of the area, with no ships in moving distance - and the next turn, every square inch was covered in new cities.

EDIT:
And the worst is that even if you don't buy the in-app purchases, your enemy Civs still all have access to them. So you can't build the new wonders or get the new great people, but the enemy can.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Kepa posted:

Whoa thanks.

Are you talking about the older guy with eyepatch? We were thinking about having a zombie dog. Our plan is to have people find both randomly generated survivors (with their own perks and personalities) and rarer, unique survivors that are weirder. Our goal is to have shitloads of rare and Easter Egg style stuff.

Really got my interest with the random survivors. Very nice trailer. Probably what really got me is the PERMADEATH line. More zombies games need to do that.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Arcaeris posted:

I just wanted to chime in here and say that if you didn't like or buy Civilization Revolution before, don't do it now.

I liked that they upped the difficulty, because even Deity was pretty easy before, but the numerous in-app purchases that totally break the game and the giant bump in how much the AI cheats have turned me off. The new Civ-specific wonders are totally unbalanced, with some giving giant culture boosts to already strong Civs (India) and some being totally worthless (America). And the new Civ-specific great people are either totally worthless or super useful. There's just no balance.

But the cheating! Before, if you had an enemy ship next to your town, it wouldn't move, but from one turn to the next you'd see it go from having no units on it to having an entire army. Now, not only does it do that, but if you have one "fog of war" square anywhere, enemy stacks will just pour out of it. Like, there's secretly an enemy ship there, even though if you move to that area suddenly enemy units stop appearing (because there's no freaking ship). I had one game where I discovered some islands that were totally uninhabited, and I had total visibility of the area, with no ships in moving distance - and the next turn, every square inch was covered in new cities.

EDIT:
And the worst is that even if you don't buy the in-app purchases, your enemy Civs still all have access to them. So you can't build the new wonders or get the new great people, but the enemy can.

Wow..... I deleted that game that it was too easy before but now it sounds like straight up bullshit.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost
Fairway Solitaire is pretty engrossing, but it's definitely an IAP morass. The game gets you used to a high rate of GolfCa$hHoleBuxxx income by doling out thousands at a time when you earn achievements, but those dry up pretty quickly and you're left earning 10-30 per hole and 100 the first time you earn each star. The Great Shot Bonus is 1000 Fun Bucks, but to get it you have to basically get a 20-move combo chain. Meanwhile, irons (wild cards/combo maintainers) cost 500 a pop (though free irons can be accrued through normal play), persistent power-ups that actually do something cost tens of thousands, and bonus courses are priced at roughly 10k apiece. The daily challenge courses can earn you a few stars, but only the first course of three is free, and earning trophy-cups to unlock special courses will probably require the use of consumables.

If you're okay with having your solitaire game just be a solitaire game and unlocking one course at a time in a linear plod, this is all cool and fine, but if you want a sense of progression or novelty from the game you're going to have to cough up for it.

Kepa
Jul 23, 2011

SynthOrange posted:

Looks great but seems to be more actiony than cyoa/rpgish, doesnt seem to be much looting and stuff either. All that still under wraps and in dev?

Mostly I had no idea how to get that across in a way that's exciting to watch. Will give that a shot for the next trailer. Maybe will go for "show a bunch of CYOA boxes too fast to read, and put a HAS CHOOSE YOUR OWN ADVENTURE STUFF caption".

The actiony stuff is mostly about exploring cities and looting supplies and weapons, balancing that against attracting too much zombie attention. You can also find survivors and CYOA events this way. These action segments are between the driving scenes, where your car goes along its route on the map as CYOA events come up. You try not to lose your exploration team or in the action segments, and you try to make the least terrible decisions in the driving bits.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Your trailer is cool but that walking noise from the very beginning is really annoying.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

I love how in The Quest, one of the races is 'Undead'. They have all this awful necro magic that no one else can use, but they just look like regular dudes with grey skin and no one cares about them and they can have high-ranking government jobs and stuff.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Zombie game with permadeath makes me want to suggest seeing the zombie of your previous playthrough when you get back to the place you died.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
I'm not quite sure how to ask this but I'm interested in any iPhone compatible weird meta-RPG games there might be.

Things that will award XP and other RPG kind of mechanics for performing realworld or iPhone based tasks. As an example, running in the background and using your accelerometer as a pedometer and awarding experience points based on distance that would also have some function in a broader game-y (Obviously you can get pedometer apps, but I'm interested in translating real-world things into game "currency" or "experience" in some way. Another example would be a game taking names out of your address book and using them for in-game character's names. Yet another example would be a game using your GPS data in some way. Or using your SMSs or anything like that. Basically metagame-y things that utilize real world data using your phone as an intermediary. I'm pretty sure those who know about games like this will know what I mean.

Mq
Jul 7, 2005
Lazy fat bastard

MooCowlian posted:

Pathpix is great for this. Super chill and author released enough level packs to last a long time.

allsizesfitone
May 7, 2007
People never notice anything.

Light Gun Man posted:

Zombie game with permadeath makes me want to suggest seeing the zombie of your previous playthrough when you get back to the place you died.

I really hope this is a thing that happens. Game looks great, Kepa, and I look forward to giving you my hard-earned $2/$3/$5/:10bux:.

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!

Mr Scumbag posted:

I'm not quite sure how to ask this but I'm interested in any iPhone compatible weird meta-RPG games there might be.

Have you tried Zombie Block Party?

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Mr Scumbag posted:

Things that will award XP and other RPG kind of mechanics for performing realworld or iPhone based tasks. As an example, running in the background and using your accelerometer as a pedometer and awarding experience points based on distance that would also have some function in a broader game-y (Obviously you can get pedometer apps, but I'm interested in translating real-world things into game "currency" or "experience" in some way. Another example would be a game taking names out of your address book and using them for in-game character's names. Yet another example would be a game using your GPS data in some way. Or using your SMSs or anything like that. Basically metagame-y things that utilize real world data using your phone as an intermediary. I'm pretty sure those who know about games like this will know what I mean.

There's a game called "CodeRunner" (I think) that uses GPS data to make you feel like a spy. It's heavily reliant on living in a populated area that hopefully (doubtfully?) has others who have used the same app. They have some failsafes built-in so that it still works if nobody in your area has used it, but it didn't seem too compelling when I tried it on my own in a place that obviously wouldn't have anyone using it. YMMV though; I got it for free one weekend so it might go on sale sometimes.

Duro
May 1, 2013

by Lowtax

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

Fairway Solitaire is pretty engrossing, but it's definitely an IAP morass. The game gets you used to a high rate of GolfCa$hHoleBuxxx income by doling out thousands at a time when you earn achievements, but those dry up pretty quickly and you're left earning 10-30 per hole and 100 the first time you earn each star. The Great Shot Bonus is 1000 Fun Bucks, but to get it you have to basically get a 20-move combo chain. Meanwhile, irons (wild cards/combo maintainers) cost 500 a pop (though free irons can be accrued through normal play), persistent power-ups that actually do something cost tens of thousands, and bonus courses are priced at roughly 10k apiece. The daily challenge courses can earn you a few stars, but only the first course of three is free, and earning trophy-cups to unlock special courses will probably require the use of consumables.

If you're okay with having your solitaire game just be a solitaire game and unlocking one course at a time in a linear plod, this is all cool and fine, but if you want a sense of progression or novelty from the game you're going to have to cough up for it.

I dunno, I just downloaded the iPad version because it's free, but I've purchased it on the iPhone a long time ago and I three starred almost the entire game without ever buying any IAP or using extra clubs

That being said, I noticed on the iPad game that when you run out of cards, you can buy more. I never remember having that option on the iPhone version

Kepa
Jul 23, 2011

Flame112 posted:

Your trailer is cool but that walking noise from the very beginning is really annoying.

Can fix that in future trailers, or at least reduce the walking noise volume.

Light Gun Man posted:

We were discussing Nethack style bones files the other day. I want to have it be cross-player. You die, and one of your gamecenter friends will find your corpse, some of your supplies, and your zombie version shambling around.

allsizesfitone posted:

I really hope this is a thing that happens. Game looks great, Kepa, and I look forward to giving you my hard-earned $2/$3/$5/:10bux:.

We're trying $5 (on iOS). The PREMIUM PRICE on iOS seems to be going up just a little, as long as you get editor's choice (Year Walk, Rymdkapsul, Badlands), so I feel like 5 bucks and no IAP is worth a shot. Going to do a PC version too.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Kepa posted:

We're trying $5 (on iOS). The PREMIUM PRICE on iOS seems to be going up just a little, as long as you get editor's choice (Year Walk, Rymdkapsul, Badlands), so I feel like 5 bucks and no IAP is worth a shot. Going to do a PC version too.

Huh I thought developers wanted to make PC version before iOS version. I could be wrong, but I thought it was easier to market yourself on the pc and then you used that momentum for the iOS.

James Polk
Jun 18, 2010

I was born in a farmhouse in Pineville, North Carolina
Any tips on a fun action Bluetooth multiplayer game?

My gal and I finally both have iPhones, looking for stuff to play while on airplanes and whatnot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

James Polk posted:

Any tips on a fun action Bluetooth multiplayer game?

My gal and I finally both have iPhones, looking for stuff to play while on airplanes and whatnot.

If you want to piss off/confuse everyone else on the airplane, you should get Spaceteam.

• Locked thread