Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I've also been taking melatonin for 6 or 7 years. I just got a prescription for Ambien but haven't filled it yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Crow Jane posted:

edit: If you've been with someone for years, and own animals and furniture together, but have no plans to get married, what is an appropriate descriptor? Boyfriend/girlfriend sounds kinda adolescent, but partner sounds too clinical.

"Slam pig"

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
If the relationship is between a man and a woman, and you're the man, it's acceptable to refer to the woman as your "old lady".

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

"Post history"

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

cheerfullydrab posted:

If the relationship is between a man and a woman, and you're the man, it's acceptable to refer to the woman as your "old lady".

I'm the old lady, I'm afraid. "Old man" doesn't sound right for him, considering he constructed a sword out of redecorating materials last night, then ate a pint of Snickers ice cream while playing Skyrim.

"My boy" or "my manchild" also sounds weird. "Comrade", maybe?

Hustle Hound
Oct 21, 2012

all is known
"Significant other" works pretty well.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

"Co-Beast Owner"

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
"My old man" sounds like your dad. "My partner" sounds like a gay couple before the equal marriage stuff. "My lover" sounds very New Age and horrible. I think you guys need to come up with terrible nick names for each other and use that, even though nobody outside of your relationship knows what the hell you are talking about, it will be a sign of commitment.

May check out the concert downtown, unless I am moving a sofa or it is raining

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Is there any particular issue with "roommate?"

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

StandardVC10 posted:

Do you usually bang your roommates? Like, exclusively, for years at a time? Thats pretty craigslist man

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

StandardVC10 posted:

We also share a bed and bone on occasion, which might make "roommate" weird.

Unnatural, if you're downtown tomorrow and I'm there too, we should have a goon drink together. If I go, I have enormous red hair and am fairly tall, so I should be easy to find. If I don't, have fun and tell me about it on here so I can curse my lazy rear end :)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

UnnaturalSELECTION posted:

"My old man" sounds like your dad. "My partner" sounds like a gay couple before the equal marriage stuff. "My lover" sounds very New Age and horrible.

"My de facto" is even worse. You could always try "swain" if you're really old fashioned.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Just call him Bro, Man, or Dude.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

"My lover" sounds very New Age and horrible. I think you guys need to come up with terrible nick names for each other and use that, even though nobody outside of your relationship knows what the hell you are talking about, it will be a sign of commitment.

That SNL skit with Will Ferrell and Rachel Dratch in the hot tub referring to each other as "my lover" was the creepiest drat thing.

It was also one of those rare times when one or several of the actors couldn't keep in character/hide their laughter because of how goddamn ridiculous it was.

Also, Crow Jane, start referring to your life-partner as "my boo". Thanks in advance.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Crow Jane posted:

edit: If you've been with someone for years, and own animals and furniture together, but have no plans to get married, what is an appropriate descriptor? Boyfriend/girlfriend sounds kinda adolescent, but partner sounds too clinical.

"My other half" or "my fella" or "'im indoors" or "my Jesse" (replace name as appropriate)?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Do you usually bang your roommates? Like, exclusively, for years at a time? Thats pretty craigslist man

Oh. poo poo. Yeah I didn't infer that as well as I could have when I posted that, kind of puts a damper on that suggestion.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Crow Jane posted:

Clearly the answer is 'bedmate.'

I mean i dunno my uncle has been dating his 'girlfriend' for longer than i've been alive. They've been filing joint taxes for like 15 years and still go by 'girlfriend/boyfriend' or 'SO' and usually just say the other's name. They're also total hippies so who knows.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT
If you're a guy, talk about your "fe-male" using this guy's voice:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Noni posted:

If you're a guy, talk about your "fe-male" using this guy's voice:

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Crow Jane posted:

Unnatural, if you're downtown tomorrow and I'm there too, we should have a goon drink together. If I go, I have enormous red hair and am fairly tall, so I should be easy to find. If I don't, have fun and tell me about it on here so I can curse my lazy rear end :)

I'll try to make it, if not, I'll always be around the baltogoons thread, we should do a small Baltimore/Charles village goon meet or meetup sometime :)

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
Ok I'm looking at the threads on baby fyad and I can't tell what makes them worse than threads on normal fyad. I don't understand what qualifies as "good posting" or "bad posting" over there. Sometimes two people emptyquote the same post and the dude with a positive postcount gets told to go back to GBS. it's confusing.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I just got back from seeing They Might Be Giants at the Stone Pony. Extremely good concert, good mix of new stuff and old stuff. Also the chicken fingers in the cafe were really good. Overall great night.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

NienNunb posted:

I just got back from seeing They Might Be Giants at the Stone Pony. Extremely good concert, good mix of new stuff and old stuff. Also the chicken fingers in the cafe were really good. Overall great night.

I saw them about 3.5 years ago in London. Such a good show. A++ would watch again

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Crow Jane posted:

If you've been with someone for years, and own animals and furniture together, but have no plans to get married, what is an appropriate descriptor? Boyfriend/girlfriend sounds kinda adolescent, but partner sounds too clinical.

Boyfriend/girlfriend works fine, but you can also go with husband/wife, because you don't really need to specify "de-facto". Personally I would probably go with something like "common-law spouse" for my own amusement, but that's just me.

NienNunb posted:

I saw them in Melbourne earlier this year, they were pretty awesome. The only thing I didn't like was they did that fake encore thing where they pretended they were going off stage but then they came back and did another song. Twice. And then came back onstage again to hand out stickers.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

cheerfullydrab posted:

I've also been taking melatonin for 6 or 7 years. I just got a prescription for Ambien but haven't filled it yet.

Ambien is fun but I haven't taken mine in forever. Sometimes it made me...weird.

NienNunb posted:

Congrats on not getting stabbed in Asbury Park.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
So as part of my battle with hypertension I've replaced screaming at underlings and power-chugging 10 pots of coffee a day with chamomile tea and garlic supplements.

Life sucks poo poo, and I'd eat a live baby in front of the cops for a Dunkin Iced Coffee.

GenericRX
Jun 29, 2013

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

So as part of my battle with hypertension I've replaced screaming at underlings and power-chugging 10 pots of coffee a day with chamomile tea and garlic supplements.

Life sucks poo poo, and I'd eat a live baby in front of the cops for a Dunkin Iced Coffee.

Everyone else I know prefers Starbucks but there's nothing wrong with a Dunkin Iced Coffee :shrug:

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Crow Jane posted:

Tiggum already posted my answer, but depending on where you live and how many years it's been, you may be common law. I think it's 7 years in WI, and that was plan A for wife and I.

I mean it sounds like you're dating exclusively and have been living together for a while and are even raising several lower life forms together. You're pretty much married already, without the expense of a wedding or the legal benefits that come with it.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Crow Jane posted:

If you've been with someone for years, and own animals and furniture together, but have no plans to get married, what is an appropriate descriptor? Boyfriend/girlfriend sounds kinda adolescent, but partner sounds too clinical.

Pimp, business associate, stalker, master or brother should work depending on the circumstances where you describe your pardner.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

syscall girl posted:

start referring to your life-partner as "my boo". Thanks in advance.

Hey I just realised why some people become suicide bombers.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Tiggum posted:

Boyfriend/girlfriend works fine, but you can also go with husband/wife, because you don't really need to specify "de-facto". Personally I would probably go with something like "common-law spouse" for my own amusement, but that's just me.

How about your commonly lawful other? :haw:

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

CzarChasm posted:

Tiggum already posted my answer, but depending on where you live and how many years it's been, you may be common law. I think it's 7 years in WI, and that was plan A for wife and I.

I mean it sounds like you're dating exclusively and have been living together for a while and are even raising several lower life forms together. You're pretty much married already, without the expense of a wedding or the legal benefits that come with it.

Only 9 states have common law marriages and Wisconsin isn't one of them. You also have to 1)consent to them aka 'yep we're married' 2)have the community believe you are married 3)you have to fill out paperwork for it anyway. I'm not even entirely sure how you'd get one while not jumping through hoops regular marriages do, which is probably why everybody phased them out.

Oh and you have to be a man and a woman, even in Iowa.

jalopybrown
Oct 11, 2012
I would refer to a partner as 'er indoors and you could probably modify it to 'im indoors.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
I found a pretty nice big leather chair on Craigslist. Only the best for my rear end

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed
The more people who refer to their heterosexual live-in S.O.'s as their Partner, the less likely it will be for it to be mistaken for some kind of politically-correct same-sex relationship tiptoeing-around term. Do your part.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

I found a pretty nice big leather chair on Craigslist. Only the best for my rear end

How do you refer to it? Boyfriend/girlfriend sounds kinda adolescent, but partner sounds too clinical.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Penguingo posted:

How do you refer to it? Boyfriend/girlfriend sounds kinda adolescent, but partner sounds too clinical.

'Upholstered life partner'

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT
You should go full goon on this one and just start calling her your protowife.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Penguingo posted:

We're just friends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

tehloki posted:

The more people who refer to their heterosexual live-in S.O.'s as their Partner, the less likely it will be for it to be mistaken for some kind of politically-correct same-sex relationship tiptoeing-around term. Do your part.

Only so much...

Quite a few people here (in the UK) use it in the 'my gf/wife/lover' sense, rather than PC same-sex, but anyone over about 30 seems to assume you're in a same-sex relationship.

As a trans woman that is somewhat 'stealth', I had to point out the problem with this to my BF, who for a long time insisted on using 'partner' (as he had previously with his first wife), after seeing one too many 'second looks' after he called me his partner in public - once you prime people for considering that it's not a 'regular' heterosexual relationship, they start to overthink it.

I don't think you'll ever get rid of that connotation for many people, even if they're accepting of same-sex or other non-heteronormative relationships.

• Locked thread