Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

goldboilermark posted:

Just be wary of Every Single Chinese Person You Meet and you'll be fine.

Not "Every Single Chinese Person You Meet," just "Every Single Chinese Person Who Approaches You Unsolicited and Speaking English."

Edit: Is there anything on the street scams in the OP? Yes: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3413886&pagenumber=45#post396677673

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Steam works fine in China. ... You'll need a VPN to buy things but downloading is not an issue.

Use the store.steampowered.com site in a web browser rather than through the client and no VPN is needed.

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Aug 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Thanks for the info Magna!

Magna Kaser posted:

And don't forget the Chinese classic fighting game, Dong Dong Never Die.
This is loving hilarious, Jesus.

OOPRCT
Jun 19, 2004
I'm going to Hong Kong for a couple of days and I'm looking for a cheap place to stay. Is Chungking Mansions too sketchy to be reasonably safe (i.e. not get my stuff stolen)? I seem to get mixed responses when googling this question.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Short answer: yes, you will be totally fine.

Long answer: what is your gender, race, nationality and age?

Other answer: My place is open to goons again since I broke up with the girlfriend who objected to me letting random strangers sleep in my house (good riddance, right?). PM me with details if you're interested (goes for everyone).

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
I can see getting a decent haircut being an issue here. No, a haircut that looks good on thick, straight Asian hair does not necessarily work well with blond hair that turns into a near-Jewfro in this humidity. I thought bringing them a pic of my last cut would do the trick, but now I find myself rocking some weird Ron Burgundy poo poo.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Bloodnose posted:

Other answer: My place is open to goons again since I broke up with the girlfriend who objected to me letting random strangers sleep in my house (good riddance, right?). PM me with details if you're interested (goes for everyone).

Details about your ex?

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

I just get it shaved (with the longest guard thingy though) three or four times a year.

OOPRCT
Jun 19, 2004

Bloodnose posted:

I'm a 21 year old Chinese-American male, i'm guessing the answer then is your short answer.

I don't have platinum though, is there another way to contact you?

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Platinum is cheaper than a night in Chungking Mansion.

Deep State of Mind fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Oct 11, 2017

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

MeramJert posted:

Details about your ex?

One of the few things I remember about my late-night post-transpacific flight visit to the Hong Kong goons (aside from Caberham being a chill dude of course) is everyone bitching about Bloodnose's girlfriend.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Magna Kaser posted:

China actually has a decent number of domestic success stories for mobile, not to mention companies like Tencent which are absolutely gargantuan. I think software is the one place China has really already had a lot of success outside of making things for cheap.

If China and the Chengdu government have their way Chengdu will become the next silicon valley. As I understand it, Chengdu is essentially a SEZ but for software and tech stuff specifically. It doesn't seem like a week goes by without some big firm opening an office here. Microsoft, Cisco, IBM and Ubisoft to name a few have non-trivial offices here now. The combination of a decent and well educated IT workforce combined with the ability to pay foreign workers a lot less than you would in the Bay area seems to be attracting more and more big players.

I was aware of this but what I don't totally understand it. How are Chinese firms going to enter the domestic desktop software market when it's inundated with high quality pirated software?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Arglebargle III posted:

I was aware of this but what I don't totally understand it. How are Chinese firms going to enter the domestic desktop software market when it's inundated with high quality pirated software?

Cloud computing, assuming they can suck enough govt cock to ensure quality of service

Custom business software and...what do you call it when you get a contractor to spec poo poo out and set it all up for you.

Services over products, I'm guessing. It seems to work for Linux companies.

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp
So, I appear to have lost my TEFL in China certificate when I was moving from Shenzhen. I still have scans of it, including the certificate number, but CTLC tells me there's no chance of getting the hard copy replaced. I'm going back to the US to get my master's now, but if I ever come back to ESL work is that likely to cause me any problems?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

VideoTapir posted:

Cloud computing, assuming they can suck enough govt cock to ensure quality of service

Custom business software and...what do you call it when you get a contractor to spec poo poo out and set it all up for you.

Services over products, I'm guessing. It seems to work for Linux companies.
It'll be interesting to see how this works out. India's had some success with (crap) products like Zoho and I'm sure others I don't know about. Has China had any yet?

My first thought about China would be that no foreign business would use Chinese-hosted cloud/SAAS apps. Also that the Chinese themselves wouldn't for the same reason, heh. If I were them, though, I'd go after the cloud CRM sector. It's horrendously bad and Salesforce dominance is a testament to just how bad it is.

The problem I've run into in Asia - and not just Thailand - is that technology adoption of things like this that reduce cost and increase productivity is really tough because, "Oh, we already have Office" or whatever combined with an understandable distrust of hosted solutions in a world where technology is often iffy and the pesky issue of every manager just throwing cheap labor at problems. Change Management is a bitch of a field anywhere, but even getting existing large companies to evaluate changing over to more efficient, cloud based stuff in Asia has seemed like a real uphill battle. I have a friend who does this and makes quite a bit of money - almost all of it from Singapore and Australia.

He's got a few clients here and there around Asia, but even with localization it's a really hard sell. The "throw more bodies at it" mindset for solving productivity is just too strong. I'll have to ask him if he's ever had any clients in China. I know he has in either Taiwan or Hong Kong, though.

EDIT: Oops, relevance, the friend's SAAS product is related specifically to project management in technology, so obviously not applicable to a number of markets in Asia. China would be one, though.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Aug 9, 2013

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Donraj posted:

So, I appear to have lost my TEFL in China certificate when I was moving from Shenzhen. I still have scans of it, including the certificate number, but CTLC tells me there's no chance of getting the hard copy replaced. I'm going back to the US to get my master's now, but if I ever come back to ESL work is that likely to cause me any problems?

Didn't you just start a new job in Harbin or something?

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp

MeramJert posted:

Didn't you just start a new job in Harbin or something?

School notified me at the last minute. Full ride for a master's degree. Job wasn't worth turning it down over, and the contract included an opt out option for the first sixty days.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Donraj posted:

The fact that there is no facility for reprinting even with a reference number is an indication of something which you may find depressing. It really doesn't matter if you are headed home for a Masters though, good job with that.

For the reference of others, if ain't Patrick Swayze (a CELTA/DELTA or PgCert/PgDip from a real university) then it's nowt, at least in the part of the world in where god is watching.

GuestBob fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Aug 9, 2013

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp

quote:

The fact that there is no facility for reprinting even with a reference number is an indication of something which you may find depressing.

Yeah, this past year has been a learning experience in many ways. I'll be more careful about job offers in the future.

Still, I got my TEFL certificate at Peking University, I assumed that at least made it legit.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Donraj posted:

Still, I got my TEFL certificate at Peking University, I assumed that at least made it legit.

Try contacting Peking University with the reference number then, unless "at" =/= "from", in which case...?

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

What can you guys recommend as the best/cheapest way to fly from Shanghai to Taiwan, and Shanghai to Hong Kong?

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Arglebargle III posted:

Have you seen an average Chinese person's computer? They install more weird crap than I have ever seen. Between your QQs, your 360s, your weird download manager, your dumb thing to put stuff on your Android phone, etc...

That said, desktop software is sort of in a weird place all over the world now. Everything is shifting so much towards mobile it's kind of scary.

Chinese firms are already huge on specialized corporate software/outsourcing, since the talent here isn't bad and the cost of everything else is so low. My company started out doing that long before I joined up.

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004

Magna Kaser posted:

They install more weird crap than I have ever seen. Between your QQs, your 360s, your weird download manager

All the bizarre-rear end software usually comes installed with their computers. Most installs of GhostXP, the pirated versions of Windows, include pirated Office and all those random apps. I don't think normal users even know how to remove the software or really care at all.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

BadAstronaut posted:

What can you guys recommend as the best/cheapest way to fly from Shanghai to Taiwan, and Shanghai to Hong Kong?

Spring Airlines or whatever is on sale on Qunar I'd guess.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Thanks - just kind of surprised that it seems more than three times more expensive to fly to Taiwan than it is to fly to Hainan...

EDIT: And I can fly to Bali, via Kuala Lumpur, for the same cost as flying Shanghai to Taiwan, wtf

BadAstronaut fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Aug 9, 2013

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

BadAstronaut posted:

Thanks - just kind of surprised that it seems more than three times more expensive to fly to Taiwan than it is to fly to Hainan...

EDIT: And I can fly to Bali, via Kuala Lumpur, for the same cost as flying Shanghai to Taiwan, wtf

Taiwan is an "International Flight". You might be able to fly Shanghai > HK > Taipei cheaper than direct.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Woodsy Owl posted:

All the bizarre-rear end software usually comes installed with their computers. Most installs of GhostXP, the pirated versions of Windows, include pirated Office and all those random apps. I don't think normal users even know how to remove the software or really care at all.

Not all of it. One of my coworkers goes around actively installing all that crap on computers.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

MeramJert posted:

Not all of it. One of my coworkers goes around actively installing all that crap on computers.

Some of it's decently useful for certain things... think of a lot of it like RealPlayer. Back in the day it was a love-hate relationship. loving everything needed it, and it would infest your computer the second you looked at it. And of course, most people genuinely do not care all that much. Perfectly willing to install adware if it means free movies somewhere.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Pro-PRC Laowai posted:

Some of it's decently useful for certain things... think of a lot of it like RealPlayer. Back in the day it was a love-hate relationship. loving everything needed it, and it would infest your computer the second you looked at it. And of course, most people genuinely do not care all that much. Perfectly willing to install adware if it means free movies somewhere.

It wasn't so much that it was adware as that it was just generally poo poo and liked to grab any and all file associations it could at every opportunity.

Meanwhile, 360 is about on par with Norton Antivirus for loving poo poo up.

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

VideoTapir posted:

It wasn't so much that it was adware as that it was just generally poo poo and liked to grab any and all file associations it could at every opportunity.

Meanwhile, 360 is about on par with Norton Antivirus for loving poo poo up.

Let's be blunt, most antivirus stuff is pretty horrible. I used to be a fan of AVG, until I discovered that it pretty much sucked for China. The local stuff tends to be better at detecting and removing the common stuff here. Especially when it's relatively new.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

BadAstronaut posted:

It's really cheap flying through KL, fyi

ants on my cum rag
Sep 2, 2011

"Oh God you got the spray gun, DO NOT LOSE IT, you seriously better not screw this up, I'm not kidding"
~~The Battle Hymn of the Contra Tiger Mother~~
Guangzhou is like New York sans the ability for everybody in the city willing to pay exorbitant prices for rent for a chance to have their head stuck up their own rear end.

Catullus
Oct 1, 2003

Any Shanghai goons wanna show a mad crew of Norwegians some fun the following week? We arrived today and are on for anything, you'll get free beers out of it! We're here for a wedding. Also, I need to pick up a fancy suit somewhere.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Anyone use a Pivos Xios or similar media centre/streaming device? What sort of streaming is available in China on these set to devices? Or is everything just done primarily with torrents?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

BadAstronaut posted:

Anyone use a Pivos Xios or similar media centre/streaming device? What sort of streaming is available in China on these set to devices? Or is everything just done primarily with torrents?

Don't count on any non-chinese streaming service working consistently without VPNs (and don't count on VPNs working consistently). It's either blocked, region-limited on the other end, or may have intermittently (or consistently) lovely speeds.

Basically yes, torrents.

edit: The school I work for was dumb enough to use an online flash-based curriculum for half its classes. All the material is hosted in the US, and about 1 out of 3 classes there will be some kind of problem accessing it. So basically all lessons have to be planned with the assumption that you may have to proceed without what amounts to your textbook.

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Aug 10, 2013

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

BadAstronaut posted:

I have to use a Roku box and some other things like that at work. We do it on a 12 Mbps China Telecom connection and it sucks. Completely unusable without a VPN router, and even with one it's crap.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

BadAstronaut posted:

Not sure what you want to watch but there are several Chinese websites that have new TV shows available for streaming within about a day of airing. You just have to put up with an ad or two and Chinese subtitles. But hey, maybe that'll help you with your learning!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Congrats on your breakup Bloodnose

ants on my cum rag
Sep 2, 2011

"Oh God you got the spray gun, DO NOT LOSE IT, you seriously better not screw this up, I'm not kidding"
~~The Battle Hymn of the Contra Tiger Mother~~
Oh yeah Abe I broke up with my girl too. Now you don't have to literally froth at the mouth whenever I mention her. Also 大胖糖(da pang tang) (big fat candy) turned out to be a manipulative psycho bitch intent on ruining our relationship (my ex and I, not you and I).

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Looking at places to stay in Shanghai now that this is all going ahead. I need to travel to Changping Rd, on Line 7 and keen to keep the commute to a minimum. Anyone able to recommend a good area? I've even been looking at some spots within walking distance to the office, to avoid a commute entirely, and while I am sure it's pricier than what I could be getting elsewhere, there are some decent options going.

How is the area near Houtan or Middle Longhua metro stations? Or is that likely to be exorbitantly expensive due to it being on the river?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pro-PRC Laowai
Sep 30, 2004

by toby

BadAstronaut posted:

Looking at places to stay in Shanghai now that this is all going ahead. I need to travel to Changping Rd, on Line 7 and keen to keep the commute to a minimum. Anyone able to recommend a good area? I've even been looking at some spots within walking distance to the office, to avoid a commute entirely, and while I am sure it's pricier than what I could be getting elsewhere, there are some decent options going.

How is the area near Houtan or Middle Longhua metro stations? Or is that likely to be exorbitantly expensive due to it being on the river?

Find a place with a morning market within walking distance (like 5 minutes)