Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Wootcannon posted:

And there was me thinking I was the campest biker in Britain.

He was surprisingly un-camp in that episode - it's "The Sleepless Night", it's here if you're interested. 15 minutes in.

(Julian Clary used to have a Vespa so you've got a fair way to go for the title even so)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAMAS HATE BOAT
Jun 5, 2010

Snowdens Secret posted:

When people lay down a bike to avoid hitting something, where do they think the bike is going to go?

If they think about it consciously at all, they think the bike will stop faster with all that stuff dragging on the road than those 2 silly bits of rubber.

Batcat! Batcat!
Dec 21, 2009

Pretty sure the only good reason to "lay it down" is if it IS going to hit something or go over something (like a cliff) and you'd very much like not to be a part of that. And then it less about laying it down and more about getting off.

Batcat! Batcat! fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Aug 4, 2013

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I

Phenomneek posted:

Pretty sure the only good reason to "lay it down" is if it IS going to hit something or go over something (like a cliff) and you'd very much like not to be a part of that. And then it less about laying it down and more about getting off.

If you are close enough to a building or a cliff to where there is a 100% chance its going to hit or fall off, then there is a 100% chance you are going to slide far enough right along side that bike to join it.

Unless, for some reason you are going 80 on a dirt road that ends on the edge of a canyon.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Also it was probably proceeded by riding like a dong in an unsafe manner.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

"The canyon jumped out from between two parked cars!"

Batcat! Batcat!
Dec 21, 2009

blackmanjew posted:

If you are close enough to a building or a cliff to where there is a 100% chance its going to hit or fall off, then there is a 100% chance you are going to slide far enough right along side that bike to join it.

Unless, for some reason you are going 80 on a dirt road that ends on the edge of a canyon.

I haven't been able to think of a realistic scenario anywhere other than off-road.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.

Phenomneek posted:

I haven't been able to think of a realistic scenario anywhere other than off-road.
Yeah, one of the trackday operators out here tells everyone in the rider meeting that if you're too hot in a corner and headed for the wall, stab the rear brake, lay it down, and lowside in if you can, rather than hit it straight on.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

blackmanjew posted:

A flopping human body stops faster than a motorcycle full on the brakes.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Z3n posted:

A flopping human body stops faster than a motorcycle full on the brakes.

"Next on Mythbusters..."

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Safety Dance posted:

"Next on Mythbusters..."

that would actually be a cool mythbusters

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

ADINSX posted:

that would actually be a cool mythbusters

They would gently caress it up

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Flikken posted:

They would gently caress it up

While talking stupidly about flopping human bodies for an hour.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
And then end on "motorcycles are dangerous kids don't try this at home" and the dummies explode.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

While in Vermont this weekend, I learned that the local Walmart sells helmets. They were exactly as cheap looking as you'd expect.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Mr. Eric Praline posted:

Yeah, one of the trackday operators out here tells everyone in the rider meeting that if you're too hot in a corner and headed for the wall, stab the rear brake, lay it down, and lowside in if you can, rather than hit it straight on.

That seems like bad advice, you could also just keep adding lean angle/trail braking until you low side, with the possibility of actually making the corner. That and jabbing the front brake will always cause a low side, jabbing the rear has the possibility of causing a high side.

And on the subject, I had to layerdan when I ran off the track at high speed and couldn't bleed off enough speed to avoid running into a tire wall. A tumbling person and bike does stop faster than a street tire on grass and dirt.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Zool posted:

That seems like bad advice, you could also just keep adding lean angle/trail braking until you low side, with the possibility of actually making the corner. That and jabbing the front brake will always cause a low side, jabbing the rear has the possibility of causing a high side.

And on the subject, I had to layerdan when I ran off the track at high speed and couldn't bleed off enough speed to avoid running into a tire wall. A tumbling person and bike does stop faster than a street tire on grass and dirt.

Even a casual examination of crashes under braking in bike racing proves this. If someone loses the front end while diving into the end of a straight with a pack of other bikes, their bike seemingly shoots forward, as if accelerating, and takes out whoever is unfortunate enough to be in front.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Guy at work left his KZ1000r at the shop because it was raining, he told me he doesn't like to take it out in the rain since it always kicks the rear wheel out from having too much power.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Zool posted:

It also has the advantage of at least making it more likely, if not certain, you'll hit feet-first rather than head-first, and I know which part of my body is both more designed to deal with slowing me down and which bit is easier to fix...

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Retarded Pimp posted:

Guy at work left his KZ1000r at the shop because it was raining, he told me he doesn't like to take it out in the rain since it always kicks the rear wheel out from having too much power.

Did you tell him to upgrade to tyres that aren't 30 years old?

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

He says the tire were new last year, I said to keep off the throttle and he replied that it has too much power for wet roads. This is the someone they used to call Superbike Mike because he'd try to get a knee down, go too slow and fall over. He also told me about someone using a copper penny as a shim*.

*poo poo that didn't happen txt

Do The Evolution
Aug 5, 2013

but why
I'm taking my basic handling test this week and I've been reading the threads here. I'm on page 9 of this one and already I've come to realise this is going to be the rest of my life; listening to people who don't have the first idea about motorbikes talk about motorbikes and how they don't need gear and that all motorcycles are going to kill me, etc. I feel like it's just not worth the time explaining it to people because frankly for every responsible rider there's five loving retards who perfectly embody the stereotype and contribute to the death machine anecdotes. I'm really grateful I have one family member who actually owns and rides bikes because god drat if people in general just don't have the first idea about bikes. :(

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Don't worry, most of the people you meet just ask "What kind is it?" and "What size is it?" even though it may be written on the side in big rear end letters.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
And they only ask so they can spout off about their uncle who has a (bigger and therefore superior) 1250 Sportster Big Throbbing Night Rod Softtail Limited Custom but he just trailers it to Sturgis now after he had to lay 'er down to save the life of a child/deer/truck/wall that just "came outta nowhere, man".

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

Coordinator010 posted:

I'm taking my basic handling test this week and I've been reading the threads here. I'm on page 9 of this one and already I've come to realise this is going to be the rest of my life; listening to people who don't have the first idea about motorbikes talk about motorbikes and how they don't need gear and that all motorcycles are going to kill me, etc. I feel like it's just not worth the time explaining it to people because frankly for every responsible rider there's five loving retards who perfectly embody the stereotype and contribute to the death machine anecdotes. I'm really grateful I have one family member who actually owns and rides bikes because god drat if people in general just don't have the first idea about bikes. :(

Welcome to being a car/bike/roadbike/plane/motorsports guy. Most people are fat, sedentary, insulated homebodies that don't like to get dirty or do things outside of a very small bubble of either physical or mental activity. They spew poo poo from their mouths because it's how they justify their inactivity to themselves. This isn't a new thing. If it doesn't involve turning on their TV or staring at facebook for 6 hours, most people don't care.

Seriously, who gives a poo poo? I'm not an evangelist. I race cars, fly planes, ride motorcycles, drink good wine, expensive microbrews, etc. I'm an "enthusiast" You try and talk about it to most people and their eyes just glaze over. Simple solution, I simply don't. If someone comes up and says something stupid, I just look at them like they're a retarded five year old and move about my day. Why waste your time?

It's the same thing dealing with most other motorcycle riders. I wear gear, I armor up, but gently caress, I hate "ATGATT" types. If someone wants to be stupid, they're going to be stupid. They've already justified it in their head, and you're not going to change that. They wanna go splatter themselves across the pavement? Cool. Let 'em. Natural selection does its job.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

ThatCguy posted:

Welcome to being a car/bike/roadbike/plane/motorsports guy. Most people are fat, sedentary, insulated homebodies that don't like to get dirty or do things outside of a very small bubble of either physical or mental activity. They spew poo poo from their mouths because it's how they justify their inactivity to themselves. This isn't a new thing. If it doesn't involve turning on their TV or staring at facebook for 6 hours, most people don't care.

Seriously, who gives a poo poo? I'm not an evangelist. I race cars, fly planes, ride motorcycles, drink good wine, expensive microbrews, etc. I'm an "enthusiast" You try and talk about it to most people and their eyes just glaze over. Simple solution, I simply don't. If someone comes up and says something stupid, I just look at them like they're a retarded five year old and move about my day. Why waste your time?

It's the same thing dealing with most other motorcycle riders. I wear gear, I armor up, but gently caress, I hate "ATGATT" types. If someone wants to be stupid, they're going to be stupid. They've already justified it in their head, and you're not going to change that. They wanna go splatter themselves across the pavement? Cool. Let 'em. Natural selection does its job.

Cool post about how awesome you are, bro.

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

Bovril Delight posted:

Fat, sedentary homebody strike a nerve man? I'm sorry dude.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Bovril Delight posted:

This guy is super awesome. How dare you try to degrade his amazing manhoodness with your condescending fat person attitude?!

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I

ThatCguy posted:

Fat, sedentary homebody strike a nerve man? I'm sorry dude.

I'm pretty sure the second line in your post was just the most douchey thing he's read in a while.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Tbh I also want to learn to fly, but only helicopters because they're the motorcycles of the sky. Planes are sky cages.

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

KARMA! posted:

Tbh I also want to learn to fly, but only helicopters because they're the motorcycles of the sky. Planes are sky cages.

172s are the Ninja 250s of the air world.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Rode the 3-pass-blast (Stevens Pass, Blewitt Pass, and Snoqualmie Pass) last weekend with a couple friends. Our group consisted of two Harleys, a Buell, and a SV650. MOPAR hat guy in Leavenworth identified us as "crotch rocket guys, I can always tell a crotch rocket costume" and explained to us that he bump drafts semis on his "chopper Harley" to avoid hitting deer in the area.

Oh deer.

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

blackmanjew posted:

I'm pretty sure the second line in your post was just the most douchey thing he's read in a while.

It was an example of not bothering to try and explain things to people who don't know or care.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

blackmanjew posted:

Underneath the douche presentation, it rings pretty true, though. Describes almost everyone I know aside from my 'weird hobbies' group.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

blackmanjew posted:

Perhaps a little douchey, but it has a lot of truth behind it...

I've mostly given up mentioning my wheel-oriented hobbies in conversation since rarely does anything good come of it. Either people think I'm SO CRAZY for doing all that "dangerous" and "dirty" stuff, or they start talking out their rear end about things they don't know anything about (like the "my uncle Layer Dan" stories) with no intention of actually having a discussion, learning anything, or changing their mind. I've learned to just not say anything and let it go, it's just not worth it.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Aug 12, 2013

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Guinness posted:

Perhaps a little douchey, but it has a lot of truth behind it...

I've mostly given up mentioning my wheeled hobbies in conversation since rarely does anything good come of it. Either people think I'm SO CRAZY for doing all that "dangerous" stuff, or they start talking out their rear end about things they don't know anything about (like the "my uncle" stories).

Yeah. I agreed with his whole post, even the tone. I have a similar set of hobbies, but I try not to be a douchebag about it. It's been a long road to discover that most people don't feel that they themselves all that interesting, or they think you ARE interesting, and want to connect with you in some way.

Face it, normal people don't go places wearing armored clothes, and those clothes indicate a type of lifestyle that the average person kinda wants to be a part of, and is only anecdotally aware of.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Yeah. I agreed with his whole post, even the tone. I have a similar set of hobbies, but I try not to be a douchebag about it. It's been a long road to discover that most people don't feel that they themselves all that interesting, or they think you ARE interesting, and want to connect with you in some way.

Face it, normal people don't go places wearing armored clothes, and those clothes indicate a type of lifestyle that the average person kinda wants to be a part of, and is only anecdotally aware of.

Yeah but most of us armor wearing loons dont talk about "drinking fine wine and expensive microbrews" as if thats something so amazing only we thought of it and the rest of the proles can just be content to sit there fat and jealous. It brings to mind hipster douchedom of the highest level.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Reminds me my pharmacist told me the old chestnut "I'd like a bike, but I'd kill myself. I just can't control my need for speed." Like, ok guy. Or you're scared or just not that interested but don't try to tell me you're too badass for bikes.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

Reminds me my pharmacist told me the old chestnut "I'd like a bike, but I'd kill myself. I just can't control my need for speed." Like, ok guy. Or you're scared or just not that interested but don't try to tell me you're too badass for bikes.

I have a friend with a similar mindset, but it's "I'd love to get a bike, but I know I'd do too much stupid poo poo and ride way too fast." Knowing how he drives, it's a smart choice for him to make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

The one guy I know who used to say that all the time and finally bought a bike is one of the safest riders I know. He's genuinely concerned about killing himself by riding like an idiot.

• Locked thread