Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

mistressminako posted:

I have a new Paperwhite on the way from Amazon. I would prefer to primarily charge my Paperwhite through a wall adapter and I was disappointed to see that Amazon would charge me $20 for either of their branded adapters. I have Apple's 5 watt USB adapter. Can I plug my Paperwhite into said adapter and have it charge with no problems?
Yeah, it won't be an issue at all. It will only draw as much as it can do without a problem OR the maximum USB charging rate (I understand Apple chargers can be weird and not allow more than the 0.5W(?) USB will allow for non-Apple devices).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010
I've been looking for an original Amazon cover for my Kindle 4 around my area, but I've been only able to find the version with an LED light attached. I really don't care for the light, does it make the cover poo poo compared to the light-less one (by being bulkier, clunkier, breaking easily, etc)?

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

Markovnikov posted:

I've been looking for an original Amazon cover for my Kindle 4 around my area, but I've been only able to find the version with an LED light attached. I really don't care for the light, does it make the cover poo poo compared to the light-less one (by being bulkier, clunkier, breaking easily, etc)?

It adds a really minimal amount of bulk and doesn't detract from the cover in any other way. I actually think the light is pretty good and useful (much better than the Kindle Keyboard lighted cover), but you can leave the light down and never notice it's there.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Is the non-Paperwhite Kindle good? I'm going to pick up a Kindle and I'm not sure whether the backlight and touchscreen would be worth the $50 premium for me.

The main thing I'm worried about would be searching for content without a keyboard :v: I had a Gen 1 Kindle for a while and it was great.

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp

Kazy posted:

Is the non-Paperwhite Kindle good? I'm going to pick up a Kindle and I'm not sure whether the backlight and touchscreen would be worth the $50 premium for me.

The main thing I'm worried about would be searching for content without a keyboard :v: I had a Gen 1 Kindle for a while and it was great.

I upgraded from Keyboard Kindle to Paperwhite this year and I absolutely loving love it. The frontlight dramatically improves readability. I was worried about the touchscreen too, but the touchscreen keyboard is very good and I've never had problems taking notes or searching for content. I never tried the Kindle Touch (I've heard its touchscreen is not as good), but at this point I can one hundred and ten percent recommend the Paperwhite.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Get the Paperwhite, it's well worth the price difference.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Wibla posted:

Get the Paperwhite, it's well worth the price difference.

Yeah, that's my thought as well. Last kindle I had before paperwhite was a kindle keyboard, and I don't miss keyboard or page turn buttons really at all.

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

Kazy posted:

The basic Kindle is fine. It's just that the Paperwhite is enough of an upgrade that it's hard to recommend the lower model, even though it's almost half the price. Personally I find shopping in the Kindle store enough of a pain on any of the e-ink models that I do almost all my shopping from a computer and just download the books wirelessly. Even on the touchscreen and keyboard models, the display technology is too inherently laggy to use if there's any sort of alternative for me.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I have a Kindle Keyboard and I almost never use the actual keyboard, and it's horrible to use anyway. The 'keys' (buttons) remind me of those old credit card sized pocket translator things, functional but a pain to type on.

What I'm saying is if people say the touchscreen keyboard is anywhere near usable, it's probably at least as good as the hardware keyboard for most people. And you don't have this honking great panel of buttons at the bottom of your device

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.
The Paperwhite's onscreen keyboard is generally quite responsive. There's some lag between hitting a key and a character being typed, but only what's inherent to the e-paper refresh rate, seems like. And of course, the Paperwhite's screen is faster than what you'll see on a Kindle Keyboard.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I'm looking at Kindle Fire 7" cases with BT keyboards. There are a large number out there on Amazon. Anyone have recommendations or brands to avoid?

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

But that’s how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don’t have to carry a suitcase.
I'm not sure what their selection is for Kindle Fires, but I really liked the M-Edge brand cover I got for my Kindle 3.

general chaos
May 20, 2001
I can't seem to get any bites on Craigslist for my Kindle DX (graphite). Has anyone had any luck off loading this thing or is it just not sought after at all?

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

I have to recount some of my experiences of wanting to get Nook HD+ here in Finland. I didn't choose the Kindle Fire HD because added with taxes and delivery, the cost is always around 100 euros higher (We're talking a sum of around 290 € vs. 185 €. Amazon.de is selling the larger HD for 299€ for example - That's $397 - over $100 higher than on US Amazon), and the Nook HD+ seemed good enough device for reading PDFs, lecture slides etc I have to deal with in spades in my university. Many PDFs I deal with kind of require the larger real estate brought by the bigger screen. I'm not really interested in B&N's book store per say, and I might be unable to use it due to geographic limits put to place.

I decided to order the device through a good friend of mine who's living in the UK and visiting Finland from time to time. Yes, B&N doesn't sell (and won't, as it's retreating from the tablet industry and manufacturing) anywhere but UK and US. Well, lo and behold, even after delivering UK credit card information through the UK Nook store, the B&N store contacted my friend via email and asked to deliver credit card details by email for confirmation. Yes. Full credit card details by email, asked by a so-called reputable American vendor. What the Christ?

At this point I really wanted to get the Kindle device and root it, but the price is just prohibitive compared to the Nook. So I ended up ordering it via Ebay and paying around 50% of its price in customs, taxes and delivery through the new Ebay global shipping programme.

I guess I'm saying that it sucks to live in Europe if you want to spend your money on digital goods and new'ish electronics. You wouldn't believe the lovely selection of tablets/ereaders and terrible prices in my domestic market.

Dessel fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Aug 7, 2013

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
So is it just me or is the Nook app for android a load of bollocks?

There's no volume button to turn page option, it barely recognizes the gestures to turn the page and will more often than not interpret any attempt to do so as "I want to open the content's page and then after dismissing the contents page, close the book to go back to the library", it's a nightmare to use.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Aug 7, 2013

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

ConanThe3rd posted:

So is it just me or is the Nook app for android a load of bollocks?

There's no volume button to turn page option, it barely recognizes the gestures to turn the page and will more often than not interpret any attempt to do so as "I want to open the content's page and then after dismissing the contents page, close the book to go back to the library", it's a nightmare to use.

Yeah, it's really bad. I've switched completely to the Kindle app (I have bought mostly from them) and the Google Play Books app (can upload epubs, so it works great for Humble eBook bundles and non-Amazon-bought stuff).

For me, the most frustrating gesture failure is the majority of the time, a tap on the right side of the screen moves back a page, not forward. Kindle and Play Books manage to be perfect, whether I'm simply tapping or swiping to turn a page.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I've never had a problem with the Nook app. It seems to work well for me on all my devices.

I still do the majority of my reading on the eReader itself though.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.

general chaos posted:

I can't seem to get any bites on Craigslist for my Kindle DX (graphite). Has anyone had any luck off loading this thing or is it just not sought after at all?

There's probably some demand for it, but at this point it's fundamentally outdated hardware. No frontlight, no touch controls, slow refresh rate. The only things it has going for it are its size and free 3G. I've heard it can be useful for people who need to look at schematics and blueprints while they work.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

general chaos posted:

How much are you asking for it?

Nihiliste posted:

There's probably some demand for it, but at this point it's fundamentally outdated hardware. No frontlight, no touch controls, slow refresh rate. The only things it has going for it are its size and free 3G. I've heard it can be useful for people who need to look at schematics and blueprints while they work.

I'll never go back to a smaller reader if I can avoid it. The extra space is fantastic. But I got my first generation DX for $75 so...

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Call Me Charlie posted:

I'll never go back to a smaller reader if I can avoid it. The extra space is fantastic. But I got my first generation DX for $75 so...

Yeah, I will be very sad when my DX dies.

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp
I've noticed that when I search for a book on my Paperwhite it also searches and gives me several options to go to inside the book, but not to just open it where I left off. Am I missing something.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
I think once you're in the book there is an option to sync to furthest page read.

minute
Jul 31, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah, I will be very sad when my DX dies.

Apparently Amazon has started selling it again: http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-DX-Wireless-Reader-3G-Global/dp/B002GYWHSQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1376071368&sr=8-1&keywords=kindle+dx

Unfortunately it’s literally the exact same thing they were selling in 2010, no hardware changes at all.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

That's a shame, but it's a cheap and easy way to solve the immediate demand.

I'd love a DX "2" with paperwhite display...

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
All I want is for this reader to hit the shores at a decent price.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvJuLK65dio

Knowing Sony, it will launch Japan only for $900 :(

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Oh my god I want one

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

Call Me Charlie posted:

All I want is for this reader to hit the shores at a decent price.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvJuLK65dio

Knowing Sony, it will launch Japan only for $900 :(

gently caress. Yes.

I want one.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Any rumours/conjecture on an E Ink Kindle refresh this year?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
The charging cable for my Nook Color died a while ago; I've been using a regular USB micro cable which (eventually) charges it, though it takes forever. I haven't been travelling much recently so not being able to charge quickly hasn't been too painful, that will be changing soon.

I can try to track down one of the few 12-pin cables remaining. The Nook HD looks nice but it's already on clearance and the charging cable looks even more proprietary. The Kindle means content migration which is lots of fun. Blah. Suggestions? I just want to keep reading Game of Ice and Fire :(

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I wound up buying a Nook Simple Touch. I used to be a Kindle man, but the price was too good and its replacing a three year old gadget, so whatever. But I need to know if I can get some of those kindle purchases on this thing or am I out of luck?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

crowfeathers posted:

I wound up buying a Nook Simple Touch. I used to be a Kindle man, but the price was too good and its replacing a three year old gadget, so whatever. But I need to know if I can get some of those kindle purchases on this thing or am I out of luck?

You can, we just can't discuss the process here. Some searching should give you the answers you need.

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

Anyone else have the munchies?
I just got a used kindle keyboard as a gift...it apparently had charging issues but I haven't had any. Is a screen protector necessary or am I good to go with just a case to avoid display scratches?

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

TheBoyBlunder posted:

I just got a used kindle keyboard as a gift...it apparently had charging issues but I haven't had any. Is a screen protector necessary or am I good to go with just a case to avoid display scratches?

I have just a case. Never had any issues with screen scratches.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

TheBoyBlunder posted:

As Sperg says, a case would do the job. I can't recommend this one enough. That's assuming you like to read it "naked". Sometimes Amazon have "Plush" variations of these cases which are a little thicker and offer more protection, but they're largely being sold for Kindle Fires these days.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Aug 13, 2013

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Is there a way I can track ebook prices like I can apps with Appshopper?

Basically, I would like an email alert when a book on my amazon wishlist (which is just ebooks anyways) is on sale.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
You want camelcamelcamel.com (as long as you're only talking about amazon ebooks)

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

Snuffman posted:

Is there a way I can track ebook prices like I can apps with Appshopper?

Basically, I would like an email alert when a book on my amazon wishlist (which is just ebooks anyways) is on sale.

eReaderIQ can do this. Basically you just set up a public Amazon wishlist and the site will notify you via email when a book reaches a threshold you specify (price drops X% or X dollars, drops below $X price, etc). You can set the thresholds separately per book if you'd like. It associates your list with your email address but you don't have to log in or anything.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

ChetReckless posted:

eReaderIQ can do this. Basically you just set up a public Amazon wishlist and the site will notify you via email when a book reaches a threshold you specify (price drops X% or X dollars, drops below $X price, etc). You can set the thresholds separately per book if you'd like. It associates your list with your email address but you don't have to log in or anything.

This is exactly what I'm looking for! Thanks! :-)

I tried camelcamelcamel but I don't like how it only seems to track dollar amounts. With ebook pricing being all across the board, tracking percent off makes more sense.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

ChetReckless posted:

Holy poo poo, why am I just finding out about this now?

For the past 2 years I have checked my Amazon ebook wish list every few days for deals. Occasionally I'll get a few books cut down to under a quid, but hot drat, this is excellent!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

ChetReckless posted:

Had a chance to play with it.

It still doesn't work quite right...they seem to be tracking the mass market price, not the kindle price.

I was all excited cause Pierre Burton's books were actually reasonably priced. No...not really...ugh.

So what's the dealio? I imported my wishlist, but I don't see any option to track the kindle price over the mass market. Do I need to recreate my wishlist?

I'm going to email them about it, cause other that the above problem, the site is perfect. :(

EDIT: Yeeeaaah...this is definitely a problem with how Amazon handles the wishlist, not the site. If I manually input the kindle book url, it tracks properly. Or not. URL or ASIN, neither work. Still tracks the paperback.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Aug 14, 2013