Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Higsian posted:

I'm not getting the impression he's talking about milsims though since he said not FPS or TBS.
Yeah, more abstracted than that. I'm not personally working on anything like this (my current game is kind of a business sim) but most aspects of war have something like this, now - from making the munitions to commanding troops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
I'm working on a project about the early videogame industry, but I want some perspective on what the industry's like right now. Did most of you people working in the industry go to school with that in mind? And I don't just mean game designers, like any part of the industry. If someone has a quantitative study of this kind of thing, that'd be cool, but I'd like to hear some stories about how you broke into the field.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.
No, I went to school for IT (I have a bachelors). I always knew I wanted to work in games. I had been messing with modding since around 2000. My cousin was big into Doom modding and he showed me all this cool stuff he was doing that finally made the connection in my brain that ordinary people make games.

Its incredibly surreal now that I work with some of the people who made the games that inspired me in the first place. Finally getting to tell them that probably earned a high five from 12 year old me.

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

N. Senada posted:

If someone has a quantitative study of this kind of thing, that'd be cool, but I'd like to hear some stories about how you broke into the field.
I really wanted to work at Rebel Boat Rocker since I was into the idea of Prax War (I also wanted to work on Golgotha, so yeah I was pretty dumb then.) So I came up with some bullshit reason to transfer to a really easy state school near Dallas, blew off everything related to school, started researching graphics poo poo and ported Geometry to Glide/Windows since I figured that would impress Billy Zelsnack. But, they went tits up right when I got it working.

At some point in between all this, I met some folks from Terminal Reality, dropped out and just started working for them since Nocturne seemed alright, and how bad could it be? 3 years of SUV racing games, and it was enough experience to qualify me for a real job in the industry.

The end. Thank you for listening.

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!

N. Senada posted:

Did most of you people working in the industry go to school with that in mind? And I don't just mean game designers, like any part of the industry.

I went to school for a number of random things and made mods in my spare time, but I didn't go to school to get into the game industry. After school I just decided to try to find a game industry job since I enjoyed making video games and I didn't want to spend my working life doing something I didn't like.

It may be worth noting, that not too long ago, going to school for video games wasn't even considered a real option. So I imagine things are changing now that more education opportunities targeted at video game development are available. Going to school for video game development is perhaps seen as a more valid career path than before.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

N. Senada posted:

I'm working on a project about the early videogame industry, but I want some perspective on what the industry's like right now. Did most of you people working in the industry go to school with that in mind? And I don't just mean game designers, like any part of the industry. If someone has a quantitative study of this kind of thing, that'd be cool, but I'd like to hear some stories about how you broke into the field.
I taught myself to code when I was 11. I went to school for CS, dropped out for a job / got dotcommed, then I went back and got a degree in Mathematics.

So, yes I went to university, but it had nothing to do with games. It was just to check that box that so many HR departments want filled. After you're past that point, portfolio is all that matters.

EDIT: VV The first mod I ever made was for Duke Nukem 3D. You squatted and pressed fire, and it laid a poo poo mine, while Duke said "aaah, that feels better." If you went near the pile of poop, it exploded. Truly, I was destined for great things.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Aug 5, 2013

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
2 of my Quake 2 skins were voted worst of 1998 so yes there is truly hope for us all.

Slurps Mad Rips
Jan 25, 2009

Bwaltow!

Buckwheat Sings posted:

2 of my Quake 2 skins were voted worst of 1998 so yes there is truly hope for us all.

I never was able to get Milkshape3D to not export my world models for half life to not be unnecessarily huge. So many wasted hours :allears:

At least I worked with Diplomaticus on a mod that no one remembers because a Call of Duty release had the same name :v: (This was years ago)

The Oid
Jul 15, 2004

Chibber of worlds
Part of me always wanted to make games for a living. I took to computer programming from an early age, so I decided to do that at university.

I just did an ordinary computing degree for the most part. But the university I went to in my home town was one of the first to start a computer games programming degree (and one of the few courses that's good enough to give you a chance of landing a job). So I was exposed to game development indirectly. There were a couple of optional classes on my course that were game related (Playstation Net Yaroze programming being the most entertaining)

By the time I graduated, I was certain that I wanted to make games for a living. Getting my first foot in the door took a while but was probably relatively easy, due to the fact that Scotland has a thriving games industry.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Well, it seems like I am now officially out of the game industry and inside the advertising industry. It was fun while it lasted but maybe I will be back someday. I will still keep reading this thread and making games as a hobby.

The Grammar Aryan
Apr 22, 2008

N. Senada posted:

I got a dual degree in English and Latin, with the intent of becoming a teacher. After doing my student teaching, I figured out that it wasn't the career for me, but I wound up getting a job at my university working as a point of contact for professors making online courses. While I was there, I got assigned to a project to make a "class that was a game"- basically a glorified flash game. The university brought on a couple of game designers, and they eventually left to work at a game company. When the school's budget got slashed and I was let go, the company they left for conveniently had a QA position opening up!

I've wanted to "work in games" since I was a kid, but never actually took it beyond kind of a "wouldn't it be great if" thing. Five years in, I'm (kind of) a QA lead, and I occasionally help out the design team. I basically lucked into this job based on connections, but I'm enjoying it pretty well. I even got two pitch documents in to our COO!

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

N. Senada posted:

Did most of you people working in the industry go to school with that in mind?

Yes. I got my first break as a designer at a rapidly expanding studio that was enjoying the fruits of the DS heyday. One of my classmates was just hired there and pointed me toward their Gamasutra job listing.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

N. Senada posted:

I suggest reading the "Who Are We/How I Got My Job" stories linked in the first post. :)

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Heh, Shalinor, some of my coworkers were talking about you during the company barbecue last friday. I don't remember the exact context, if it was a twitter post, a conference or something, but someone brought up that they'd talked with Megan Fox. Someone said "What, the actress?" and then it clicked "Hey, I know her! ... kind of."

This industry is small in so many weird ways. :v:

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457
Is it to soon to ask who will be at GDC Europe / Gamescom? I'm flying out during the weekend and will be there all week.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

SAHChandler posted:

At least I worked with Diplomaticus on a mod that no one remembers because a Call of Duty release had the same name :v: (This was years ago)

Wait, did I know this already?

Slurps Mad Rips
Jan 25, 2009

Bwaltow!

Diplomaticus posted:

Wait, did I know this already?

I don't think so. When you posted your SWATJester handle a while ago it was bugging the hell out of me where I knew that name from, and then I remembered you were on the World at War Half Life 2 mod team for a little bit at least. I was basically the young guy who had no skills but was given the job to do the 2D UI. Which I did in MSPaint.

EDIT: I was not involved with whatever the heck happened between Olaf, Bob, and the rest of the team.

Feral Bueller
Apr 23, 2004

Fun is important.
Nap Ghost
Question -

I'm trying to get a larger test pool for testing our XB360 app. I contacted uTest, and they quoted us $100/tester for what is basically a 4-step test script.

I was wondering what QA vendors you all were using for XB360 - I'd like to get a minimum of 100 users. It's for our app, currently up on XBL. We want to test some refinements in video delivery, nothing strenuous.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Jan posted:

Heh, Shalinor, some of my coworkers were talking about you during the company barbecue last friday. I don't remember the exact context, if it was a twitter post, a conference or something, but someone brought up that they'd talked with Megan Fox. Someone said "What, the actress?" and then it clicked "Hey, I know her! ... kind of."

This industry is small in so many weird ways. :v:
You're at Backflip, I think?

If so - yeah, I know a ton of folks over there. If not... huh!

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Sarcasmatron posted:

Question -

I'm trying to get a larger test pool for testing our XB360 app. I contacted uTest, and they quoted us $100/tester for what is basically a 4-step test script.

I was wondering what QA vendors you all were using for XB360 - I'd like to get a minimum of 100 users. It's for our app, currently up on XBL. We want to test some refinements in video delivery, nothing strenuous.

Volt / VMC are pretty well known, if not totally well regarded ;)

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."
Reppin the 4J colours at Dare ProtoPlay today in Dundee. By that i mean we all donned our Minecraft shirts went for a walk through at lunch and voted on our favourite games. :toot:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-23622102

Oh and I got to play Undercurrent on the Oculus Rift which is :krad: and I want one with higher res display.

Smegbot
Jul 13, 2006

Mon the Biffy!
Pretty impressive what the teams have knocked out in 8 weeks. "Size Dos Matter" (the guitar hero/tetris mashup) looked pretty neat and the one where you ride the couch into space (which I've totally forgotten the name of) was downright gorgeous looking.

Apparently the conference part of it has not been at all well attended.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Smegbot posted:

Pretty impressive what the teams have knocked out in 8 weeks. "Size Dos Matter" (the guitar hero/tetris mashup) looked pretty neat and the one where you ride the couch into space (which I've totally forgotten the name of) was downright gorgeous looking.

Is there information for this somewhere? All I saw was aliginge's article which has sweet loving nothing.

Smegbot
Jul 13, 2006

Mon the Biffy!
This is the their website and this is a playlist of all the trailers.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

Smegbot posted:

Yeah, the older office guys were impressed by the workmanship and animation behind Dinersaur, some of the staff loved Size DOS Matter, I liked Plannit because it's pretty much the mobile game i'd play out of all of them :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ys6iMzHnlKI

The indie conference part had less than half of the people of the main tent because there was little signposting saying "hey more stuff this way in Caird Hall" out the back of the tent.

There was also the Outplay stand but it looked like it had one very very busy person manning it so I thought better of saying hi. Hello. :v:

GeeCee fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Aug 9, 2013

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.
:yotj:
Trading my position at a publisher in for one at a developer. Working 'in'/'around' games to working 'on' games. A seemingly minor change, but I'm pretty excited for it.

What I'm saying is, if you don't have PMs yet, you really ought to fix that.

Slurps Mad Rips
Jan 25, 2009

Bwaltow!

leper khan posted:

:yotj:
Trading my position at a publisher in for one at a developer. Working 'in'/'around' games to working 'on' games. A seemingly minor change, but I'm pretty excited for it.

What I'm saying is, if you don't have PMs yet, you really ought to fix that.

Glad to have you aboard dude. :v:

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
I think I graduated out of community management into being a "communications manager". Which means all kinds of publisher side marketing stuff but its a lot busier! I'm doing partnership stuff, marketing, pr, advertising and still some social stuff.

All in all it's a lot more satisfying and busy, but in a good way. It helps that our devs are out of this world amazing to work with and are super talented.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

Smegbot posted:

I hate to poo poo on students but the couch game was terrible for one simple reason. It's not a loving game. It's a really nice interactive piece of art but it's not a game. Their team is made up of I think, 4 artists and 1 coder and it shows.

Plannit is my favourite game of the show.

Monster w21 Faces fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Aug 10, 2013

Smegbot
Jul 13, 2006

Mon the Biffy!
Bullshit, it was a perfectly playable, enjoyable game.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

I've been in the position of leading a (student) group of several artists all relying on one programmer. I thought they did great with what they had.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Aliginge posted:

Reppin the 4J colours at Dare ProtoPlay today in Dundee. By that i mean we all donned our Minecraft shirts went for a walk through at lunch and voted on our favourite games. :toot:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-23622102

Oh and I got to play Undercurrent on the Oculus Rift which is :krad: and I want one with higher res display.

Played with the Oculus Rift HD the other day and I really can't wait till it hits consumer market but for non game reasons. Best platform for watching 3d movies, and with a 1080p screen I could see using it for coding. Just wait 5 years and you'll seek geeks missing their bus stops because they were too busy with their VR on.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Hughlander posted:

with a 1080p screen I could see using it for coding.

Are you saying like, a truly gigantic virtual screen? That's a super enticing concept...

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

Smegbot posted:

Bullshit, it was a perfectly playable, enjoyable game.

Where's the microtransactions? Where are the social hooks? What's the average lifespan of a user?

I JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND!

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

superh posted:

Are you saying like, a truly gigantic virtual screen? That's a super enticing concept...

Well it's still 1080p resolution, it just takes up the entirety of your field of vision.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
Is gamejobs.com the best site for finding, uh, game jobs? I went through the links in the OP and that seemed to have the biggest listing.

And if by any chance someone's hiring for a junior/associate design position, I'd like to know!

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Hey, PAX panels are listed. Cool to see my name here as the engineer: http://prime.paxsite.com/schedule/panel/all-your-words-are-belong-to-us-how-localization-works-and-why-it-sometimes

Thanks for the hookup, GetWellGamers, I've been wanting to do PAX panels and the like for a while.

Also weird to think that when I signed up for this, I was unemployed. At this point I've been working for a few months.

The Monarch
Jul 8, 2006

Cool panel but I really hope you didn't have anything to do with naming it.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

boho posted:

Is gamejobs.com the best site for finding, uh, game jobs? I went through the links in the OP and that seemed to have the biggest listing.

And if by any chance someone's hiring for a junior/associate design position, I'd like to know!

When I would survey the environment to see what was out there I'd use http://www.gamasutra.com/jobsearch Now though I just watch Linked-In mostly.

Chainclaw posted:

Hey, PAX panels are listed. Cool to see my name here as the engineer: http://prime.paxsite.com/schedule/panel/all-your-words-are-belong-to-us-how-localization-works-and-why-it-sometimes

Thanks for the hookup, GetWellGamers, I've been wanting to do PAX panels and the like for a while.

Also weird to think that when I signed up for this, I was unemployed. At this point I've been working for a few months.

Oh hey, I interviewed you at one point and now you're on a panel with a former coworker. Nice going!

Hughlander fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Aug 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EgonSpengler
Jun 7, 2000
Forum Veteran

Acethomas posted:

Is it to soon to ask who will be at GDC Europe / Gamescom? I'm flying out during the weekend and will be there all week.

I'll be at both.