Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Hauki posted:

I dunno, I sort of inadvertently made like 1.25 liters of it once and I was sort of sick of it by the end.

You did that wrong if you didn't have Bloody Mary's for days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Is a bloody mary made with gin A Thing? I never have vodka around, because I don't care for it, but I am very enthusiastic about gin. Would all the ... components (for lack of a better term) cloud the botanicals of a gin? Would using like Gordon's or something do the trick?

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Just get a bottle of vodka, I find it reassuring to have some expendable booze at the ready.

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

Caesars with gin are certainly A Thing, and also a delicious thing, so it couldn't hurt to try.

Is good calamari hard to make? I honestly don't care if it ends up like rubber bands because I love it no matter what, (Probably my favourite food.) but the difference between good calamari and bad is ridiculous. If I see calamari on a menu I'll almost always order it as an appetizer, I've never actually made it.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

dino. posted:

Is a bloody mary made with gin A Thing? I never have vodka around, because I don't care for it, but I am very enthusiastic about gin. Would all the ... components (for lack of a better term) cloud the botanicals of a gin? Would using like Gordon's or something do the trick?

Make strawberry gin is p good

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Clavietika posted:

Is good calamari hard to make? I honestly don't care if it ends up like rubber bands because I love it no matter what, (Probably my favourite food.) but the difference between good calamari and bad is ridiculous. If I see calamari on a menu I'll almost always order it as an appetizer, I've never actually made it.

You can make insanely good calamari by braising it, slicing, then frying.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Ugh I'm going to have to get you two new avatars.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

:respek:

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Bring back overlordatar

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Drink and Fight posted:

I had a feeling you and bourbon were involved.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Vegetable Melange posted:

I had a feeling you and bourbon were involved.

Bourbon and I are involved in a lot of things, but never anime.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Drink and Fight posted:

No keep it, it's amazing :swoon:

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vi2DyXA0Rok

I'm sorry, I just saw this and I can't stop laughing. This is metal. Warning, loud music.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
In a year or two sous vide threads are going to be as bad as burger and steak threads, aren't they?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

SubG posted:

In a year or two sous vide threads are going to be as bad as burger and steak threads, aren't they?
"Bad" as in ubiquitous, or "bad" as in there's little to discuss?

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
I think it'll just become like any other cooking method now that us commoners have more access to it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I know the first thing I'm going to use mine for, I just hope the salsa doesn't clog the pump.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
dino, I made your recipe for lemon rice last night and it ruled minus a few small mishaps. I used sunflower seeds instead of peanuts, so they cooked really quickly and subsequently got pretty... burnt. Whoops. I'll add them later next time. Other than that the flavors were super awesome, I love how the cumin hits right towards the end. One question about cooking mustard seeds - anytime I cook them they pop and turn black. Are they burning or is that how they're supposed to look/taste? They are always good but I never know if I'm actually doing it right or not.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

No Wave posted:

"Bad" as in ubiquitous, or "bad" as in there's little to discuss?
Bad as in having a terrible signal to noise ratio. Burgers and steaks are pretty loving simple, yeah? To a certain way of thinking this means you can throw in some random gimmick and suddenly you're taking it to the next level and man this will blow everybody's mind and everybody listen up the grill master is teaching a master class in adding loving Lipton's French onion soup mix to sad-rear end supermarket ground beef. Pow! And suddenly something really simple isn't about basic technique or ingredient selection---the actually important stuff---it's this weird projection of the need to beat the recipe or win at making a burger or some drat thing like that.

It seems like high tech kitchen gadgets and sciencey poo poo seems to attract and encourage that sort of thing.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

SubG posted:

Bad as in having a terrible signal to noise ratio. Burgers and steaks are pretty loving simple, yeah? To a certain way of thinking this means you can throw in some random gimmick and suddenly you're taking it to the next level and man this will blow everybody's mind and everybody listen up the grill master is teaching a master class in adding loving Lipton's French onion soup mix to sad-rear end supermarket ground beef. Pow! And suddenly something really simple isn't about basic technique or ingredient selection---the actually important stuff---it's this weird projection of the need to beat the recipe or win at making a burger or some drat thing like that.

It seems like high tech kitchen gadgets and sciencey poo poo seems to attract and encourage that sort of thing.

So, eventually listening to people talk about sous vide will be the culinary equivalent of listening to people talk about their cell phones. Once there is a commonplace iOS/Android sous vide interface and app, it'll have the perfect inane storm of conversation.

Out of curiosity, if any of you have played Dungeons & Dragons, has anyone else ever thought "Let me tell you about my phone" is the culturally accepted version of "Let me tell you about my character?"

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

dino. posted:

This is actually the One True Way to drink a bloody mary and everybody in my family, all of my in laws, and most of my friends that drink bloodys always have them with gin. Vodka is boring.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

SubG posted:

I can see that. I've had a few theories on this sort of thing in the past, but I don't obsess about it quite as much as I did before. Quite a lot of it is the desire to feel like a more distinct individual by coming up with something totally earth-shattering that no one's ever thought of before, as most of us were raised poorly and think that fulfillment comes from putting your name on something rather than the act of creating it in the first place. So creating something "unique" is inherently better than creating something "unoriginal" even if you've never actually eaten either before, as one gives you a sense of identity and the other doesn't. (The way crappy food shows talk about chefs as "geniuses" rather than for their true talents as incredible workhorses doesn't help)

Realistically though this offends me the most for burgers. Not because I like burgers all that much, but because the first place people go is always either a.) jalapenos or b.) eggs and both are so completely off-base that I do not even understand how they are evaluating their dishes. Why would you put spice on a relatively bland dish, and why would you put runny fat on a pile of fatty meat with runny fat on top?

I probably know "enough" about food at this point and don't get a whole lot out of reading GWS (certainly not as much as I used to) most of the time but every so often you see something cool. But realistically I could really use another hobby that's been as rewarding and life-changing as cooking has been for me that I could get balls-deep into.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Aug 10, 2013

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

No Wave posted:

Realistically though this offends me the most for burgers. Not because I like burgers all that much, but because the first place people go is always either a.) jalapenos or b.) eggs and both are so completely off-base that I do not even understand how they are evaluating their dishes. Why would you put spice on a relatively bland dish, and why would you put runny fat on a pile of fatty meat with runny fat on top?

Eggs on burgers are delicious. Do you like bacon on burgers? Why does that make sense? That's just greasy meat on more greasy meat. Or cheese, even. That's just fat on top of fat, right? Also burgers shouldn't be "relatively bland" to begin with. And jalapenos, especially pickled, can help cut through a fatty burger quite well.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Eggs on burgers are delicious. Do you like bacon on burgers? Why does that make sense? That's just greasy meat on more greasy meat. Or cheese, even. That's just fat on top of fat, right? Also burgers shouldn't be "relatively bland" to begin with. And jalapenos, especially pickled, can help cut through a fatty burger quite well.
Not a huge fan of fatty bacon on burgers, but it's okay for lean burgers (had some on a yak burger recently and it worked). It's also best when the bacon is fully rendered, making it not all that fatty, and if the bacon is good it's because of the sweetness (it's generally cured in salt and sugar) and the texture, not the richness.

Cheese is different from egg. I think the lactic acid in the cheese is what lets it play well w/ burgers and other rich meats, which is why guacamole (if prepared slightly more acidic than usual) is acceptable as well.

Good spicy food is highly flavorful, like Indian, Mexican, and most obviously Thai. To cut through less flavorful food, vinegar and sweetness are the preferred options - such as pickles w/ ketchup or, simply, "special sauce" (ketchup, little mustard, lemon juice). Spice on a burger makes it less flavorful.

Egg yolk is as close to flavorless as a food gets. What makes it "delicious" on a burger? It is useful for coating a dish with moisture, but honestly the whole "fried eggs on everything" is totally overrated - it's mainly popular because it's fun to play with on the plate. Although used to thicken a broth, it is of course a very appropriate choice.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Aug 10, 2013

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

dino. posted:

I made one recently and I don't think I'll ever go back to vodka (unless im at a restaurant or w/e).

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

No Wave posted:

Egg yolk is as close to flavorless as a food gets.

I have to completely disagree with you on this, and I buy the cheapest, most generic eggs from the supermarket.

Do you think hardboiled eggs have no flavor? And a runny yolk of a fried egg during breakfast mixed with hash browns or some other potato is delicious. That yolk adds a lot more than a fatty coating of color.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

contrapants posted:

I have to completely disagree with you on this, and I buy the cheapest, most generic eggs from the supermarket.

Do you think hardboiled eggs have no flavor? And a runny yolk of a fried egg during breakfast mixed with hash browns or some other potato is delicious. That yolk adds a lot more than a fatty coating of color.
I mean, scrambled they have flavor, but that's only with hella seasoning, a luxury you don't get with an egg on a burger. And it's definitely not a flavor that makes sense w/ a burger.

I guess I meant unseasoned runny egg yolk? I dunno, whatever, there's not much I can say at this point so I'm done.

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?

No Wave posted:

I can see that. I've had a few theories on this sort of thing in the past, but I don't obsess about it quite as much as I did before. Quite a lot of it is the desire to feel like a more distinct individual by coming up with something totally earth-shattering that no one's ever thought of before, as most of us were raised poorly and think that fulfillment comes from putting your name on something rather than the act of creating it in the first place. So creating something "unique" is inherently better than creating something "unoriginal" even if you've never actually eaten either before, as one gives you a sense of identity and the other doesn't. (The way crappy food shows talk about chefs as "geniuses" rather than for their true talents as incredible workhorses doesn't help)

I probably know "enough" about food at this point and don't get a whole lot out of reading GWS (certainly not as much as I used to) most of the time but every so often you see something cool. But realistically I could really use another hobby that's been as rewarding and life-changing as cooking has been for me that I could get balls-deep into.

This explains so much.

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

No Wave posted:

I mean, scrambled they have flavor, but that's only with hella seasoning, a luxury you don't get with an egg on a burger. And it's definitely not a flavor that makes sense w/ a burger.

I guess I meant unseasoned runny egg yolk? I dunno, whatever, there's not much I can say at this point so I'm done.

Some people take more textural pleasure from food than you do? I mean, I completely disagree that egg yolks are tasteless, and most burgers I've encountered are all about combining lots of different complementary textures. Egg yolks are rich, sweet, and savoury, and they need a vehicle to not be kind of bland and texturally strange. Why not a burger?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
I have no idea what No Wave is talking about, but everything he said about burgers is wrong. Themed burgers are great, things on burgers are great. All burgers are great as long as they are decently seasoned and have tasty things on/in them.

e:

No Wave posted:

No, you don't. You never know "enough" about food if you loving love food. You sound like one of those goddamn trendy foodies that come down to check out the food trucks because they're pushing the boundaries man! You had some goddamn Franklin's BBQ and now you've learned all there is to know about BBQ from that one place! Better move on to the next category of food so you can be a drat expert in food!

Chef De Cuisinart fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Aug 10, 2013

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I have no idea what you're trying to say in any of this.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

He's saying he liked food before it was cool.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Runny egg yolks make me feel alive goddammit!!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I find that adding a well-made fried egg to my wife spices up our sex life no end. She's neither fatty nor bland, although quite well seasoned. Jalapeņos don't work so well.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You're just not using enough jalapeno. :colbert:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

No, you don't. You never know "enough" about food if you loving love food. You sound like one of those goddamn trendy foodies that come down to check out the food trucks because they're pushing the boundaries man! You had some goddamn Franklin's BBQ and now you've learned all there is to know about BBQ from that one place! Better move on to the next category of food so you can be a drat expert in food!
I don't want to passion dick-wave and I'd obviously lose because you've dedicated your life to the industry. When I say know "enough" it means reaching the point where you realize you'll never know everything about food and choosing and settling on a level of engagement that enriches your life without spending too much time on it. Like, you have limited time on this earth, so only so much can go towards food. I remember when some dude was talking about his ~~~secret guacamole recipe~~~ you said (paraphrasing) "there's nothing new under the sun in traditional cooking". It's reaching that point where, okay, maybe your framework's basically sorted out and you can still cook a few times a day but if you're going to spend some time diving deep into a subject it might be better to try out a new one for now.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

All this is doing is making me want to chance a stroke by going and eating the entire dozen eggs in the fridge, hardboiled. Possibly sliced on top of veggie "sloppy joes".

E: Or over medium on like 12 bean patties, whatever. I just wants eggs in me okay? Eggs are the best.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
This thread got weird(er) and I'm not sure I follow what No Wave is saying :smith:

PS. Egg yolks taste great and have awesome flavor so :iiam:

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Iron Lung posted:

dino, I made your recipe for lemon rice last night and it ruled minus a few small mishaps. I used sunflower seeds instead of peanuts, so they cooked really quickly and subsequently got pretty... burnt. Whoops. I'll add them later next time. Other than that the flavors were super awesome, I love how the cumin hits right towards the end. One question about cooking mustard seeds - anytime I cook them they pop and turn black. Are they burning or is that how they're supposed to look/taste? They are always good but I never know if I'm actually doing it right or not.

Oh no! Sorry to hear about the burny burning. When you add mustard seeds, or any whole spice to hot fat, lift the pot off the heat, and swirl it around until the popping subsides. You want the mustard seeds to pop, but not burn. They will go from the almost black-brown to absolute black, but they shouldn't smell or taste burnt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

therattle posted:

I find that adding a well-made fried egg to my wife spices up our sex life no end. She's neither fatty nor bland, although quite well seasoned. Jalapeņos don't work so well.

Maybe your sex life is so spicy that the jalapeņo is getting overpowered. Try switching to a ghost pepper instead.

dino. posted:

Oh no! Sorry to hear about the burny burning. When you add mustard seeds, or any whole spice to hot fat, lift the pot off the heat, and swirl it around until the popping subsides. You want the mustard seeds to pop, but not burn. They will go from the almost black-brown to absolute black, but they shouldn't smell or taste burnt.

Wouldn't they still burn when you put it back on the heat to continue cooking, or do you scoop the spices back out and re-add later? I'm thinking more for when I'm cooking a chicken cutlet or something similar.