Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BMcDonough
Jul 30, 2013
B and C - because Marik's been smart about husbanding strength and aware of how having as much information as possible (the cores) can give them an advantage. Let the man find out what he can, buy some time, and see if his technological advantage can be brought to bear in time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

B and C. You keep the warship back in case poo poo goes wrong, and sitting back on the challenge for the bit buys some time to prepare either politically, technologically, or militarily.

Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010

Gwaihir posted:

A and A!

Maximum :black101:

Let's light some fireworks!

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
Woohoo! Taurians!

I'm voting for the warship to B held in reserve, so that if it's a clever trap there's a warship nearby.

Also we must once and for all, for all the Inner Sphere, hear straight from a clansman exactly what the hell a BatChall is.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

B and C respectively. Stall tactics, especially when it might turn out to retroactively be in good faith are the best tactics.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

apostateCourier posted:

B and C respectively. Stall tactics, especially when it might turn out to retroactively be in good faith are the best tactics.

You'd think that, but the typical Clan response to 'What's a Batchall' tends to be summed up as such:

"You Inner Sphere Surats do not even know what a Batchall is? You truly are barbarians! So rather than explain our strange customs to you, I am instead going to run over your face repeatedly with this 70 ton Battlemech!"

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Odd random aside, I just found the longbow rules for infantry in Battletech in the Tech Manual. 100 of them can actually deal one point of armor damage to a `Mech. The new most efficient way to kill Battlemechs is now 100,000 infantrymen with a compound bow.

Joking aside, the shortbow apparently does 0 damage (longbows do 0.01) making them the most harmless weapon ever invented.

Actually, I take it back: the most efficient army in Battletech is 100,000 infantrymen with whips, since whips do 0.05 damage so you only need 20 guys to do 1 point of armor damage and both it and the bows are classified as 'melee' weapons.

:psyduck:

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

PoptartsNinja posted:

Odd random aside, I just found the longbow rules for infantry in Battletech in the Tech Manual. 100 of them can actually deal one point of armor damage to a `Mech. The new most efficient way to kill Battlemechs is now 100,000 infantrymen with a compound bow.

Joking aside, the shortbow apparently does 0 damage (longbows do 0.01) making them the most harmless weapon ever invented.

Actually, I take it back: the most efficient army in Battletech is 100,000 infantrymen with whips, since whips do 0.05 damage so you only need 20 guys to do 1 point of armor damage and both it and the bows are classified as 'melee' weapons.

Kinky.

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!

PoptartsNinja posted:

So obviously your next step is to come up with a custom Periphery state whose people believe that Battlemechs are tools of Satan and must be whipped into submission.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
It's a pity anything classified as an archaic weapon does 0 damage to battlemechs.

... Of course, tranquilizer guns are modern space-weapons and it only takes nine of those to deal 1 point of damage to a Battlemech.

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.
B and C

It'd be nice to see the Taurians play it a bit more cautiously with something that is basically irreplaceable in the Inner Sphere and Periphery, and I'm hoping the Clans facing the FWL might be a bit more reasonable with the explanation of their customs following an earnest "what the gently caress is a batchall?"

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

... Of course, tranquilizer guns are modern space-weapons and it only takes nine of those to deal 1 point of damage to a Battlemech.

That...makes no sense to me.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
B for the Taurians. They've already got one invasion going, no need to deploy the warship and let everyone know about it.

B for the FWL as well. Duncan Marik in this timeline is a pretty cool guy, let's not poo poo on him people :( . Getting a a chance at a Knights of the Inner Sphere versus Clan Warriors would be sweet as hell to watch too.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

PoptartsNinja posted:

What is the point of these rules, again? Are they trying to turn Battletech into some sort of insane physics simulation?

Also, I vote B and C

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

golden bubble posted:

What is the point of these rules, again? Are they trying to turn Battletech into some sort of insane physics simulation?

How else do you tag wild battlemechs for study?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

golden bubble posted:

What is the point of these rules, again?

Amusement value, and because the weapons exist in the Mechwarrior RPG. Also because any weapon that does damage pretty much rounds up to '1' when fired at standard infantry, so longbows are still reasonably effective against other infantry.

Whips being more lethal than a quarterstaff I don't understand at all, though.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

fool_of_sound posted:

How else do you tag wild battlemechs for study?

A fire extinguisher full of bear mace. Just like our forefathers used to do.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

PoptartsNinja posted:

Whips being more lethal than a quarterstaff I don't understand at all, though.

People putting more faith then they should in that whole bit about the cracking sound being made by the tip breaking the sound barrier? (which while true doesn't necessarily mean I could kick your rear end with it more efficiently then the quarterstaff, is my point.)

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Malachite_Dragon posted:

People putting more faith then they should in that whole bit about the cracking sound being made by the tip breaking the sound barrier? (which while true doesn't necessarily mean I could kick your rear end with it more efficiently then the quarterstaff, is my point.)

A whip does more damage than both the katana and the double-barreled shotgun.

And so does a sap. A sock full of sand is more dangerous than a shotgun.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Aug 10, 2013

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

It's so people can legitimately create Indiana Jones of the Future. :colbert:

A
C

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
B: You don't use your trump card right off the bat but you don't leave it at home either.

C: No gently caress YOU wait what's a batchall?

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

A and D. Taurians smash, gently caress the Clans.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
A
C

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

PoptartsNinja posted:

A whip does more damage than both the katana and the double-barreled shotgun.

And so does a sap. A sock full of sand is more dangerous than a shotgun.

Okay, yeah, I'm good at spinning up bullshit reasons for stuff but I can't even begin to justify this.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

A and A. I'm not too concerned about what the Taurians do with their ship, so might as well roll it out, but Duncan would be a fool to fight the Batchall or fight the clans when they're just trying to take out one of his mutual enemies. Let the clans and Amaris blunt themselves on each other! Better to deal with political consequences than military losses.

The Batchall seems like the worst decision of the lot - you lose a bunch of prime fighters and good equipment submitting to the clan ritual, probably lose anyway, and should you lose it's not like the political problems that just letting them through cause would just go away.

Let them through. Hiding that it's happening or dealing with the fallout is far preferable to trying to stop them in any way, and if Duncan's lucky might relieve some pressure from the rim.

Edit - switching to E) "Sure, but only if we can come too!"

Dolash fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Aug 13, 2013

BMcDonough
Jul 30, 2013

PoptartsNinja posted:

A sock full of sand is more dangerous than a shotgun.

But what if you fired the sock full of sand out of the shotgun, a'la bean bag riot cartridges?

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

BMcDonough posted:

But what if you fired the sock full of sand out of the shotgun, a'la bean bag riot cartridges?

The whip would still be stronger.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Rick_Hunter posted:

The whip would still be stronger.

It kills vampires, though.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Think about it. How much time and effort has their been to make body armour and vests designed to stop projectile weapons, especially pistols and shotguns?

Now how much effort has their been to neutralise saps and whips?

That's what I thought.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

B and C

gently caress a warship, our literacy rate will carry the day against the hated Davions!

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Hail the Concordat!

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Aug 13, 2013

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Okay, yeah, I'm good at spinning up bullshit reasons for stuff but I can't even begin to justify this.

Because clearly only a soldier trained to superhero levels in such weapons would be insane enough to use them against mechanized targets.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Deploying the Vendetta
Front Line: 30
Reserve: 23
Keep it Secret, Keep it Safe: 0

Rights of Passage, Trial of Passage
Kill Amaris: 19
Batchall: 8
Dude, what's a Batchall?: 24
Die!: 6

PS. Rivensteel, I assumed your quoting an AA vote very positively was a vote for the same.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
B and C

Also PTN how many infantry armed with saps does it take to destroy a battlemech?

"All civilians report to local shopping centre to be armed for mech repulsion. You will each be issued: 1 off sock, 1/2 off brick."

hooman fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Aug 10, 2013

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

hooman posted:

Also PTN how many infantry armed with saps does it take to destroy a battlemech?

The sap is range 0, so only one platoon would be able to attack with them at a time. A platoon has 32 men. It takes 20 men with saps to do 1 point of damage to a `Mech. On average, even if they hit (assume 50% chance), an infantry platoon will only do damage (very approximately) 37% of the time.

The WSP-1 Wasp is the most lightly armored BattleMech in the game, having 3 leg armor and 4 internals in each leg, for a total of 7 health per leg.

Bare minimum, assuming they hit every turn, and that they hit the same leg with every attack, and that they do damage every turn, an infantry platoon can leg a Wasp with whips or saps in 7 turns.

Realistically, it'd probably take them closer to thirty (I don't have any math to back this up, I'm just estimating).

Mathematically, they couldn't hurt a `Mech with double-barreled shotguns at all since 32 men with double-barreled shotguns only do 0.96 damage. Pump-action shotguns fare better.

32 men with Vibro-Katanas do slightly more than 8 damage if they all hit, so they could theoretically leg a Wasp in one turn. DEST uses Vibro-Katanas in the field.

Edit: The Vibro-Axe is the most damaging melee weapon, 32 men with Vibro-Axes can deal upwards of 11 damage if they all hit.

Double-Edit: My math is wrong, there're only 28 men in a platoon. This is why I should go to bed rather than thinking about this at all.

Triple-Edit: Comstar and Word of Blake field 32 man platoons. The Marian Hegemony fields 100-man platoons (in gameplay, they have to be split into 3 32 man platoons and four guys get "left out").

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Aug 10, 2013

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

A and C.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
B and C, everyone stalls for time.

Aesirstorm
Sep 16, 2002

NOT GAY
Dinosaur Gum
B and C Don't be hasty.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
A, A.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

A Taurian Pride demands the maximum amount of overkill.

B but only if Duncan sends Rolling Thunder to do the Batchall

• Locked thread