Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Unlucky7 posted:

I did and I still hated it. I just do not like gyroscope camera controls.

I did notice a brief instruction that you could hold R bumper and then use the right stick for the camera in that segment. It worked pretty well, maybe try that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Speaking of gyro cameras, the one in NintendoLand plaza is loving awful and while nowhere near as bad I wasn't crazy about it in the little part of the demo.

I heard Super Mario 3D World is also doing this. Has there been any word on that? Because it sounds like a nightmare to me.
Nintendo made a video about it;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1gmVg07VZo

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Bobnumerotres posted:

Also, demos of upcoming games should be mandated or something. There's no better way to sell a game.

I agree mainly because I've got an oldish computer so "how does it actually run" is an important question for me, but I can understand why more companies don't.
--A bad demo of a good game will reduce sales.
--A good demo of a good well-hyped game (your Mass Effects or Call of Dutys) won't do much and takes a lot of work.
--A bad demo of a bad game reduces sales.
--A good demo of a bad game doesn't exist.

The main place it helps is in exactly this sort of situation, where it's a good demo of a good game that would otherwise fly under a lot of radars. They could have relied on word of mouth once the game came out (something Nintendo seems to like to rely on for publicity outside folks who watch Nintendo Direct), but this and Pikmin are set up to be system-sellers after a lot of folks have forgotten about the Wii U. So they want to push demos and get people hyped because they'd really like strong opening sale numbers. Push it to the system-owners, get them hyped, get them showing it to their friends, and get people over that cost hump of buying the system in order to play the game.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Bruceski posted:

You weren't around in the days of shareware, were you?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

FPzero posted:

I did notice a brief instruction that you could hold R bumper and then use the right stick for the camera in that segment. It worked pretty well, maybe try that?

I saw that and tried it. It doesn't really help. It keeps you from using the R-Stick to make formations (As unimportant as that may be in that particular section), though I can't really say that it does for the touch screen, and it snaps back into place when you let go of the R-bumper.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Demos by in large take up much time away from actual development of the game. Most work accomplished in making a demo ends up being unuseable in the final product and are normally made by a smaller team within the project as to not grind all real progress to a hault.

This is normal for prerelease demos made for an event or prerelease. Post release demos are a diffrent beast but again do take time to make sure they don't give away too much of the game and don't do something silly like erase everything you love like Viewtiful Joe.

Recently the argument came up in the media that demos even hurt sales. Frankly it can go ether way but this lends weight to how much a pain making demos is.

CousinKevin
Oct 16, 2012

Ever since they worked on that project together, her life turned around and became more exciting.
Just played the Wonderful 101 demo, I had absolutely no idea what the gently caress I was doing and I loved every minute of it.

The only problem I had was I felt at times the camera zoomed way too close into the characters, kind of made it a bit hard to find out where I was going and where all the bad guys were at

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

CousinKevin posted:

Just played the Wonderful 101 demo, I had absolutely no idea what the gently caress I was doing and I loved every minute of it.

The only problem I had was I felt at times the camera zoomed way too close into the characters, kind of made it a bit hard to find out where I was going and where all the bad guys were at

I had a problem with this too but generally there wasn't anything that threatening around when it did it. I also had no problem with the gamepad section because I love poo poo like that.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bruceski posted:

Guess what one of the things that made so many people angry at Aliens: Colonial Marines was? (Though granted it was a playable e3 demo, it was still a much superior build to what was actually released)

Raizor
Apr 23, 2012

DIGITAL

CousinKevin posted:

I'm pretty sure L and R adjust the camera zoom.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

CURATOR OF ANIME posted:

The only problem with the demo is the limited times I can play it. :colbert:

Do all of the versions have 15 uses? It seems like something I'd want to keep playing until release.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Guess what one of the things that made so many people angry at Aliens: Colonial Marines was? (Though granted it was a playable e3 demo, it was still a much superior build to what was actually released)

Okay fine, is very rare and probably energy better spent on the game. Demos help that launch sale rate, and after that a good demo of a bad game helps in massive backlash.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
I remember that Star Wars: Teras Kasi or whatever fighting game had some potential when it was on one of those Playstation demo CDs. It felt like maybe with some more fighters and a story mode it could be pretty cool. My friend decided to buy it because of that. Hoo boy what a loving mistake.

Also, I remember the shareware days where you'd play a game, think it was awesome, buy the full version and find out you were only buying six more levels. Can't recall the name of the game that did that to me.

Raizor
Apr 23, 2012

DIGITAL

Nickoten posted:

Do all of the versions have 15 uses? It seems like something I'd want to keep playing until release.

Mine had 20 here in Canada. I assume it would be the same across the entirety of North America.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Junkie Disease posted:

Demos by in large take up much time away from actual development of the game. Most work accomplished in making a demo ends up being unuseable in the final product and are normally made by a smaller team within the project as to not grind all real progress to a hault.

Aren't demos typically just a level or two from the main game to begin with, though?

You're wrong about demos is what I'm saying.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Aug 10, 2013

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Bruceski posted:

Okay fine, is very rare and probably energy better spent on the game. Demos help that launch sale rate, and after that a good demo of a bad game helps in massive backlash.

Yeah, good demos for bad games do exist but they're still a bad idea because it severely impacts the strength of the brand (both the game's and the company's). So like you said this is one of the few cases where the demo really helps a lot.

Lizard Wizard posted:

Aren't demos typically just a level or two from the main game to begin with, though? You are wrong about demos.

They cost more money/development time if the structure of the game doesn't easily translate to clean, very representative demos. For an easy example look at Dragon's Dogma. The devs wanted to do a good demo but Capcom wouldn't pay for the extra development time, so they were forced to use the E3 demonstration as a downloadable demo. It wasn't very representative of the full game's overall flow and didn't do much to teach you the mechanics so many people came out with a really negative opinion of what was a game that was actually really fun, if rough around the edges.

Nickoten fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Aug 10, 2013

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

The demo was sweet. Once I figured out the secondary morph thing, the game became way easier. Whoa that guy looks huge and scary, Ill just morph a sword here and fall back to shoot him with my gun until he's dead. The controls are solid but man they took time getting used to. I used the right stick most often to make a sword but only used the touch screen to make guns and fists.

Easy day 1 purchase.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
I don't have a Wii U to play the W101 demo but I did find this

Oh boy

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bruceski posted:

You can debate "bad game" but Brutal Legend is a good demo for a game which is not at all what it demos.

gameface
Nov 23, 2007
This demo talk reminded me of an old episode of Extra Credits.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QM6LoaqEnY

I think re-watching that made me realize why Nintendo's demos have limited uses. It's so you don't 'get your fill' of a game from the demo alone, which would reduce sales. It sucks, but I see it making a little bit of sense now.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
I don't mind the game, I also don't get how someone would play it more than 20 times. Jesus.

E: the demo, that is.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

I don't mind the game, I also don't get how someone would play it more than 20 times. Jesus.

What else are WiiU owners supposed to play?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

My nephew has run through the play count on every 3DS demo he's ever downloaded.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

The Wonderful101 demo has secured my sale, I had no idea what I was doing at first but it didn't take long to figure out and I really like the game.
I just hope it doesn't bomb horribly, hopefully with the Direct and demo it will get decent sales...

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
To confirm, you can play W101 exclusively with the gamepad, right? In the demo I did just that except I had to switch back and forth in the warehouse section.

I died like 3 times in the demo, mostly to those tank things because I had no idea how to dodge or be effective thanks to no control overview. Any tips?

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Press ZL to turn into a blob type formation to reflect their shots and destroy their shields.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Louisgod posted:

To confirm, you can play W101 exclusively with the gamepad, right? In the demo I did just that except I had to switch back and forth in the warehouse section.

I died like 3 times in the demo, mostly to those tank things because I had no idea how to dodge or be effective thanks to no control overview. Any tips?

Turn into the flan and it reflects their shots. If you do the missions the tanks shoot lasers, and you can reflect it with the sword.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Sweet, good to know, wish it at least was brought up before the battles. Is the worm like move your dodge?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Louisgod posted:

Sweet, good to know, wish it at least was brought up before the battles. Is the worm like move your dodge?

Yes, and the jello is your shield. Use the jello a lot, most big enemies get stunned if they hit it.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Bobnumerotres posted:

Yes, and the jello is your shield. Use the jello a lot, most big enemies get stunned if they hit it.

Except the boss at the end of the story mode! I jello'd, and he wrecked my poo poo.

E: Also I got a distinct, Sonic The Hedgehog vibe every time I got hit real bad. Having to run around collecting all my dudes after getting hit massively felt a lot like losing all my rings.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

TaurusOxford posted:

What else are WiiU owners supposed to play?

Pikmin 3? It didn't come out a long time ago.

There's also Earthbound.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

Pikmin 3? It didn't come out a long time ago.

There's also Earthbound.

I'm still playing launch games, I'm the kind of guy who plays a game for a month, sets it down, and goes back to it six months later. I'm almost done with ZombiU! :buddy:

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
The Demo's first impression was very blah but I gave it a second chance after reading some of your Goony raves about it being a control learning curve and sure enough, it was much better the second time around when you have a feel for what needs to be done.

Would also have been easier if I was playing with both the pad and TV but I rarely play it in that set up so I had to play it in the manner I'm used to first to get a good feel for how it will play most of the time.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Jet Set Jettison posted:

E: Also I got a distinct, Sonic The Hedgehog vibe every time I got hit real bad. Having to run around collecting all my dudes after getting hit massively felt a lot like losing all my rings.

:aaaaa:
I thought it felt familiar. God damnit platinum. Why are your games so perfect?

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
If they do a W101 bundle, I'll buy a WiiU for it. This game basically looks like everything you could ever want in a video game.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

So how likely is the game bombing due to being on the WiiU? Or being a platinum game.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

KittyEmpress posted:

So how likely is the game bombing due to being on the WiiU? Or being a platinum game.

It's extremely likely because it's coming out in the same window as SR4, GTA V, and other big hitters. Also, it is on the WiiU, and it's Platinum. They make incredible games that sell in okay numbers.

It makes me very sad, really.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Aug 10, 2013

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Junkie Disease posted:

Recently the argument came up in the media that demos even hurt sales. Frankly it can go ether way but this lends weight to how much a pain making demos is.
Well I mean if the game sucks the demo is going to hurt sales, yes. But otherwise it's a valuable promotional tool, and I feel like developers/publishers/media nodding with each other that demos don't do anything is some weird echo chamber nonsense that's not based on any real data other than seeking validation.

There are games that I'd have never bought if I didn't play a demo of them first. Heck there's games I didn't even know existed until I played a demo of them.

That demo disc that came with the Dreamcast was invaluable for me. I had no idea what Power Stone was until I played the demo and then gobbled that poo poo up. (I'm sad that the series is pretty much over) All those magazines of PC Gamer in the 90s and OPM issues with demo discs got me really excited to play games that were near or on the horizon. I never would have given Parappa the Rapper a chance if I didn't play a demo first.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Aug 10, 2013

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Bobnumerotres posted:

It's extremely likely because it's coming out in the same window as SR4, GTA V, and other big hitters. Also, it is on the WiiU, and it's Platinum. They make incredible games that sell in okay numbers.

It makes me very sad, really.

While this is 100% true, it does have the benefit of coming out before the bulk of this year's Wii U games and at a point where most people are going to be done or finishing up Pikmin 3, so that will help a little. It's also a Nintendo game, so it should have decent legs, even if it does terribly to start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Quest For Glory II posted:

Well I mean if the game sucks the demo is going to hurt sales, yes. But otherwise it's a valuable promotional tool, and I feel like developers/publishers/media nodding with each other that demos don't do anything is some weird echo chamber nonsense that's not based on any valid data other than seeking validation.

Demos do a lot for "What the hell is this?" games that would otherwise go under the rug, for AAA games where you know exactly what you're getting and it's going to sell anyway, it's a waste of money for the company.

It really comes down to how experimental a game is. W101 will confuse a lot of people, even looking at gameplay videos you can hardly tell what the gently caress is going on until you actually take control and see how everything works.

Most games you can just youtube to see if you want them or not, and those really aren't worth making a demo for.

But it should be government mandated that there are demos for every PC game ever because gently caress if some of them don't run well for no reason

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

• Locked thread