Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Recycle Bin
Feb 7, 2001

I'd rather be a pig than a fascist

horriblePencilist posted:

The Newtralizer was cool and all, but god drat that armor looked silly. I guess you just can't kill the 80s.

Ciro literally first designed the character in elementary school so that tells you something right there :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I know it's probably not something that you can really answer, but are there going to be any more good mutants down the line? I'm asking because the whole time I was watching the comic-con season two preview stuff and for a while afterwards I was left thinking about the fact that there's a whole bunch of mutants, but the only one that's good so far is Leatherhead - and even then, they spent almost as much time fighting him as fighting alongside him. When I saw the Tiger dude I had hopes he would be a good (or least, goodish) guy, but that's primarily built off of his similarity to Douren in Sengoku Youko - who admittedly is a friendly enemy too, but is a really cool and likable one. I think the only one coming down the line is Slash, and he's another turtle, if fairly different to the rest, and I just want something new and different to watch beat stuff up beside the Turtles themselves occasionally I guess.

tsob fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jul 29, 2013

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Mutagen Man wasn't a bad guy in the 80's series, so maybe he comes around to the turtle's side. There's also Pete and Dr. Rockwell, if they ever show up again.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I'm loving that the Turtles' ringtone is the 80s theme song.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Recycle Bin posted:

Ciro literally first designed the character in elementary school so that tells you something right there :)

Newtralizer was from the comics? I figured it was just a blatant parody of the Punisher, right down to his old uniform.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Who needs armor when you can just eat the kraang.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
No wonder I'm so confused after watching Operation: Break Out, my DVR missed Parasitica

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

Dr Tran posted:

No wonder I'm so confused after watching Operation: Break Out, my DVR missed Parasitica

Parasitica was a pretty stand alone episode. The most continuity in it is further enforcing that Raph is scared of insects. He totally freaks out about the wasps more than anyone else.

Newtralizer is a cool wildcard to have out there like Cockroach Terminator that I look forward to resurfacing down the line. Just have an episode of vignettes about mutants in New York (ala Tales of Ba Sing Se or 22 Short Films About Springfield), Have Newtralizer and Cockroach Terminator hunting each other in Central Park, sure newt seems like The Punisher, but he can just as easily be Space Kraven Boba Fett. The segment would be great and have no dialog.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Last I remember, Shredder had a Kraang held prisoner. Now they're full blown allies.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Dr Tran posted:

Last I remember, Shredder had a Kraang held prisoner. Now they're full blown allies.

That happened a couple of episodes before Parasitica, probably in a credits sequence.

Iskanderson
Apr 16, 2009
Re-watch The Pulverizer Returns, they decide to ally against their common enemy there.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Iskanderson posted:

Re-watch The Pulverizer Returns, they decide to ally against their common enemy there.

That episode is too sad. I don't think I can watch it again.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Pretty sure the Shredder is deep-in cahoots with the Kraang considering how he shrugs off Karai's warnings. I hope it's not a repeat of the Utrom Shredder though.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

The finale was awesome and I can't wait for season 2. Though judging by the preview that followed, I am a little disappointed that Mutagen Man turns out to be a bad guy; I too want to see some good-guy mutants other than the core group out there kicking rear end.

Also, kudos to Recycle Bin and his fellow animators for producing what is possibly the finest nutshot to ever grace a children's cartoon.

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
I was hoping that Leo would end up trapped in the Krang world like Leatherhead. Oh well.

Watching Splinter kickass rat style was sweet.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

Glaucus atlanticus posted:

The finale was awesome and I can't wait for season 2. Though judging by the preview that followed, I am a little disappointed that Mutagen Man turns out to be a bad guy; I too want to see some good-guy mutants other than the core group out there kicking rear end.

Also, kudos to Recycle Bin and his fellow animators for producing what is possibly the finest nutshot to ever grace a children's cartoon.

Slash is billed as a good guy for next season

What a kick rear end finale. Super excited for season 2.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

TheFattestPat posted:

I was hoping that Leo would end up trapped in the Krang world like Leatherhead. Oh well.

Watching Splinter kickass rat style was sweet.

I was kind of expecting them to lose something - but the Splinter scenes ended on just depressing enough to rob the story of feeling like a complete win for the good guys. I think a lot of people could see Karai being Splinters daughter but its a kids show, if they hadn't foreshadowed it like that I guess it would have seemed like it came from nowhere.

It was really good and I look forward to watching season 2.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

MrFlibble posted:

I was kind of expecting them to lose something - but the Splinter scenes ended on just depressing enough to rob the story of feeling like a complete win for the good guys. I think a lot of people could see Karai being Splinters daughter but its a kids show, if they hadn't foreshadowed it like that I guess it would have seemed like it came from nowhere.

Yeah, it doesn't really matter that it's a surprise to the viewer and more that it's a surprise to Splinter.

ProfessorLoomis
Apr 5, 2007

I LUST FOR MONKEY DEATH
I was pretty delighted seeing Splinter fight like a rat. I don't think I've ever seen that happen in any other TMNT stuff, very creative.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

ProfessorLoomis posted:

I was pretty delighted seeing Splinter fight like a rat. I don't think I've ever seen that happen in any other TMNT stuff, very creative.

And he was so much stronger that way too! Kind of makes sense that Splinter would learn to incorporate his mutation into his fighting style.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

I wonder what will Karai do when she inevitably finds out the truth about Hamato.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
The finale was VERY amazing. The second season can't come soon enough.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008
I liked the finale a lot, mostly for burnt face Shredder and Kraang Prime "I am Kraang, you may call me... Kraang!". However, in the season 2 previews what the gently caress happened to Casey Jones Goalie mask?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

MrJacobs posted:

I liked the finale a lot, mostly for burnt face Shredder and Kraang Prime "I am Kraang, you may call me... Kraang!". However, in the season 2 previews what the gently caress happened to Casey Jones Goalie mask?

Maybe Kraang Prime's name is actually "Krang" since he seems closest to a counterpart to the 80's character?

The Space Heroes show was already in reruns right? I don't want that to be the last time we see that.

Way to deal with the Splinter/Shredder fight, leaving it unresolved for the future now Splinter knows a little more of the stakes. You come away with the impression that Splinter can definitely win a straight fight, but Shredder has the advantage as long as he's able to dictate the terms of the fight like that. Didn't really feel they resolved why Splinter didn't go up initially until April was taken. I don't think he's afraid of Shredder, even if he knows he'd rather not do it in Shredder's house, and at that point they were only dealing with the Kraang. Does he just not want to be seen as a rat on the surface?

I think I'd like to see an episode dealing with Splinter training April. For one thing we've never seen where they go to do it (besides "away" because the episode's plot demands the Turtles can't have his help) and it seems a good way to progress the plot with Karai, since April has the weapon Yoshi meant to give his daughter. Would also like an episode of Yoshi's life in Japan, but that would need a lot of new models where they previously Flash animated. As it stands he seems to have been a bit of an everyman who happened to be a world-class martial artist.

Er, is the Leo/Karai dynamic weird now?

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

There's Comic Con footage that shows Casey wearing his goalie mask. Apparently he doesn't wear it at first and has a variety of other masks and face paint he uses before the goalie mask.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

hypersleep posted:

There's Comic Con footage that shows Casey wearing his goalie mask. Apparently he doesn't wear it at first and has a variety of other masks and face paint he uses before the goalie mask.

Okay, that makes sense and is actually a cool way to show the character growing into the superhuman (how else can he be equal with a bunch of mutant super ninjas with just sports equipment?) crazy dude we all know and love.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Maybe Kraang Prime's name is actually "Krang" since he seems closest to a counterpart to the 80's character?

I hope not it should just be a lead Kraang and nothing more. 80s Krang was loving stupid as all hell outside of a few awesome line deliveries, while the Kraang are hilariously awkward villains who have awesome speech patterns and serve as a vessel for the turtles to mutilate and ninja-brutalize something humanoid on a kids show. Also they are voiced almost perfectly by Nolan North, so "In Kraang's face!"

BizarroAzrael posted:

Way to deal with the Splinter/Shredder fight, leaving it unresolved for the future now Splinter knows a little more of the stakes. You come away with the impression that Splinter can definitely win a straight fight, but Shredder has the advantage as long as he's able to dictate the terms of the fight like that. Didn't really feel they resolved why Splinter didn't go up initially until April was taken. I don't think he's afraid of Shredder, even if he knows he'd rather not do it in Shredder's house, and at that point they were only dealing with the Kraang. Does he just not want to be seen as a rat on the surface?

Splinter SHOULD have helped his sons on several occasions, but he is so withdrawn from the surface and straight up ashamed of what he has become, outside of a few jokes and uses of his tail as a weapon. This is most evident during the Rat King episode where he always identifies himself as a man, Hamato Yoshi only for the truth to slap him in the face. Hiding his face when he had no reason to also speaks volumes since nobody would spot a super-ninja of his skills.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Er, is the Leo/Karai dynamic weird now?

There is no Leo/Karai dynamic anymore, ever since they shat all over the truce. Maybe that will change when or if splinter tells them the truth, but so far they just want to kill eachother for lack of a better term.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Splinter is so weird. He is so deeply the elderly master archetype but he's what? 35? 4o something?

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx
From the "you already took everything from me, why don't you just leave me alone you JERK" speech I figured Splinter doesn't fight because Shredder pretty much broke his spirit a long time ago. Not because he's sensitive about his appearance.

April should drive Metalhead for a while.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

The Radix posted:

April should drive Metalhead for a while.

Cue awkward Donny/Metalhead flirting

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I thought that he had spent so much time underground that he was just scared of going to the surface.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
drat that season finale was good. Roseanne as Kraang Prime in the first scene was hilarious, but then it seems her voice was modded too much afterwards.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Splinter is so weird. He is so deeply the elderly master archetype but he's what? 35? 4o something?

If he was in his late 20s at the time he fled Japan for New York, he's now in his mid 40s.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

hypersleep posted:

If he was in his late 20s at the time he fled Japan for New York, he's now in his mid 40s.

That still doesn't really fit the archetype he plays particularly well.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

That still doesn't really fit the archetype he plays particularly well.

It fits as well as a 15 year old mutant super genius able to make technology work on a level only seen by multi-billion dollar technology corporations. Seriously, how the gently caress did Donatello build half those drat things from old newspapers and turds since thats all he would really have to work with?

Splinter fits perfectly fine with the rest of the sheer insanity this show just throws at the viewer, and is more awesome for it.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I don't think Splinter looked super young in the flashbacks, I think he could have been as old as forty when he fled, putting him in his mid fifties now. And yeah, artistic licence and living as a mutant hermit for so long. April should drag him to the blind guy's restaurant some time.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

BizarroAzrael posted:

I don't think Splinter looked super young in the flashbacks, I think he could have been as old as forty when he fled, putting him in his mid fifties now. And yeah, artistic licence and living as a mutant hermit for so long. April should drag him to the blind guy's restaurant some time.

The other timeline thing you have to just kinda ignore is how clear he was fleeing from like Japan in the 1800s, nothing about any flashback even remotely seems like a guy that ran away from Japan as of 1998 or so.

Recycle Bin
Feb 7, 2001

I'd rather be a pig than a fascist
In episode 4 there's a photo of Splinter and Shredder in what looks like the military, complete with dog tags, camo helmet and a helicopter in the background. Not sure what war they're implying they served in...

But hey, Ciro just posted this: Butt cannons!

ProfessorLoomis
Apr 5, 2007

I LUST FOR MONKEY DEATH
The Splinter age thing has always bugged me a bit. Honestly, Splinter IS probably only 35-40, which would mean drat near in his human physical prime. If nothing else, Splinter and Shredder are the same age, or close to it, and I've never gotten the vibe that Shredder is an old man, or anything like that. Hell, in the original 1980s cartoon Splinter had jet black hair and looked 30 max. Yet, the Splinter on there was portrayed as "old" too. Uhoh, guys, I think we're unravelling the whole works here...

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Splinter was "too old to take his revenge personally" or something in issue 1 of Mirage, but he was still alive until volume 4. I think him being old is assumed but never really true in any meaningful way. Maybe he's just "old" to his teenage sons. Archie Splinter had no problems going on a world journey, 2k3 Splinter would kick asses whenever he needed to, etc. The only times he feels believably old is in the movies, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Rats live pretty short lives. That was always how I thought of it.

• Locked thread