Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

RagnarokAngel posted:

I'm still not confident the books will be compatible. I mean I'm sure they'll be compatible in a literal sense, since the systems are exactly the same, but I feel like there will be a world of darkness style problem where the systems, while compatible, have such a power difference you do not wanna put PCs of different types in the same party.

But I'm sure bits and pieces could still be put together.

i'm guessing if anything there'll be a logical progression of sorts. After all the heroes of the rebellion started as colonists and smugglers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I'm just worry it'll pigeonhole all PCs into joining the Rebellion. Not all smugglers are Han/Lando style freedom fighters, most are in it for the money and nothing else.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

drat does my bank account hate Fantasy Flight. They just want all of my money, between this, Only War, their boardgames and Netrunner I might as well start just signing over paychecks to them.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Drone posted:

I'm just worry it'll pigeonhole all PCs into joining the Rebellion. Not all smugglers are Han/Lando style freedom fighters, most are in it for the money and nothing else.
Are you also worried the book after this will pigeonhole all these smuggler-turned-freedom-fighters into Jedi wannabes once Luke founds his New Jedi Order?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I was more referring to this.

treeboy posted:

i'm guessing if anything there'll be a logical progression of sorts. After all the heroes of the rebellion started as colonists and smugglers.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

KomradeX posted:

drat does my bank account hate Fantasy Flight. They just want all of my money, between this, Only War, their boardgames and Netrunner I might as well start just signing over paychecks to them.

I got a second job at my comic/game store just to pay for things at the comic/game store.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

omnibobb posted:

I got a second job at my comic/game store just to pay for things at the comic/game store.
And now I wish that there was even one near me to get a job at. :(

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I am wondering whether the careers in AoR will have "signature abilities" (as with this) in the Core book, or if they too will be covered in expansions. I am guessing "expansions".

If you think about the content of the EotE core book, there isn't THAT much room for power creep. Because they're meant to be interchangeable:

-- the specializations for various careers can (and, logically, would) contain talents overlapping EotE
-- all the stuff on Obligation will be replaced with Duty
-- all the rules for combat will have to be repeated
-- new equipment and vehicles need not be better, just statted out and illustrated, and can overlap
-- species would logically be the same or similar
-- The Galaxy will need to be spelled out, though the details will be Rebellion-oriented adventure hooks
-- EotE has a starter adventure, so it's reasonable to imagine this would too

I am excited about Age of Rebellion! I am more excited, though, about the expansions for it and EotE, because of the additional specializations, species, signature abilities, and adventure hooks/published adventures.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

Drone posted:

oh i agree, i hope it doesn't work like that. My guess is that it won't. If there *is* a difference in power level though I'd expect the system to allow easy transition without (much) penalty.

I hope that it's simply similar, but different mechanics. For instance from the screenshots it looks like Rebel players have Duty instead of Obligation, and the mechanics supporting those things might have different requirements/effects/consequences.

Personally a group with a rebel and some fringers would be fantastic as Duty conflicts with obligation...

edit:

actually it'd be pretty awesome if you could join the alliance and it added Duty to your Obligation, then you really would be like Han Solo, Duty to the Rebels, but Obligation to Jabba...lots of great hooks there

treeboy fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Aug 10, 2013

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Other than more force powers I'm just not sure how AoR could have a big power difference.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

8one6 posted:

Other than more force powers I'm just not sure how AoR could have a big power difference.

200 starting XP?

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

8one6 posted:

neonchameleon posted:

200 starting XP?
More starting XP could be done in Edge of the Empire (EotE) as well, and there was some discussion on the official forums as to attempting to convert characters from Saga by figuring out an appropriate amount of total/accumulated XP, but I believe what Age of Rebellion's (AoR) "higher power level" would be like is access to higher-end gear (in particular bigger and more powerful ships and starfighters) and new careers/specializations/talents.

For example, the small "official military" ship selection in EotE is what's more likely to be encountered by someone on the fringe ''and'' more likely to potentially be found in non-Imperial/non-Rebel use, but even its four capital ships -- two corvettes and two frigates -- are but picket ships compared to Star Destroyers, which you're not going to see even the Millenium Falcon try to fight, so what it seems like AoR will bring to the table is more front-line, heavier vehicles and starships and more mass combat options.

As far as careers, what stands out to me is that unlike d20 classes, careers are basically a starting range of career skills and talents, but multiclassing is done by buying specializations (that is, 'from now on' class skills* and access to new talent trees) with no restriction beyond paying the XP cost... so if the group goes from former "fringe" to "official" military, then wouldn't character progression be as simple as picking up a new non-career Specialization from AoR in the same manner as in EotE?

* There's no "refund" for prior spending on formerly non-class skills.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

treeboy posted:

oh i agree, i hope it doesn't work like that. My guess is that it won't. If there *is* a difference in power level though I'd expect the system to allow easy transition without (much) penalty.

I hope that it's simply similar, but different mechanics. For instance from the screenshots it looks like Rebel players have Duty instead of Obligation, and the mechanics supporting those things might have different requirements/effects/consequences.

Personally a group with a rebel and some fringers would be fantastic as Duty conflicts with obligation...

edit:

actually it'd be pretty awesome if you could join the alliance and it added Duty to your Obligation, then you really would be like Han Solo, Duty to the Rebels, but Obligation to Jabba...lots of great hooks there

From what I've seen Duty is kind of the opposite of Obligation mechanically. When your obligation comes up its a penalty to strain but when Duty comes up apparently its a bonus to wounds. Since everything else about Obl and Duty seems to be story and GM driven I don't see why you couldn't have both.

I don't want to buy the beta since my group only has about half a dozen EotE sessions under our belt, but one of my friends wants his next character to be a Rebel Commando who's squad was betrayed by an Imperial Spy and now he can't return to the Rebellion as the Spy has framed him for the botched operation. I'm sure there will be stuff in this book that he would love to use.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Epi Lepi posted:

I don't want to buy the beta since my group only has about half a dozen EotE sessions under our belt, but one of my friends wants his next character to be a Rebel Commando who's squad was betrayed by an Imperial Spy and now he can't return to the Rebellion as the Spy has framed him for the botched operation. I'm sure there will be stuff in this book that he would love to use.
The thing is, based on how the Hired Gun career flavor text is written, it feels like the character concept is playable now even with strictly EotE since it allows for prior-service.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

So force sensitives. How do they work out in play?

By my calculations, it costs about the same as a stat point to become a Force Sensitive - and it gives you access to a drat good talent tree and some useful powers, with one of the three disciplines being passive and coincidental and a second being coincidental. Which feels to me as if they are about right?

And trying to create my first character, you only get 500 credits for all your kit? Yes, I see how the Rebels could be stronger. Mechanics really struggle IMO with so little starting cash.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

neonchameleon posted:

And trying to create my first character, you only get 500 credits for all your kit? Yes, I see how the Rebels could be stronger. Mechanics really struggle IMO with so little starting cash.
Think of it as being 500 credits per character in a group and a starting ship (page 99) without further Obligation; taking on additional Obligation at creation gives your character more starting credits and/or XP as outlined on Table 2-3 (page 39) with the limits that "each player can only choose each option once, and Player Characters cannot gain more additional Obligation than their original starting value". The preceding Table 2-2 (page 39) recommends default starting Obligations per player, and I'm not sure whether the limits on additional Obligation allow taking of all of the options and only prevent stacking of the same option/amount, but otherwise that's a clear way/route, perhaps even more fluid if the GM is willing to allow a pooled budget at character creation. For example, if you play in a four-player group and everyone takes on +10 Obligation, that's a starting 3,000 credits per player and 12,000 credits for the whole group.

Likewise, if my idea about how AoR's power level will work is correct, then as an "official" Rebel you may start with better gear, a larger gear budget or at least more gear access right off the bat but then the Empire's more likely to be throwing stronger enemies at you right off of the bat as well, i.e. an planetary combat encounter against Imperial forces in an EotE game is probably only going to have speeder bikes, combat airspeeders, and either of the core rulebook's two light blaster cannon-armed walkers (the AT-EST is "resembling a scaled-down version of the Old Republic's AT-TE combat walker" but with eight passengers, so it may be FFG's name for this, while the AT-PT is a pilot-only biped with a personal-scale concussion grenade launcher)...

... while they save the AT-STs and AT-ATs for the "Rebel scum".

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Chortles posted:

The thing is, based on how the Hired Gun career flavor text is written, it feels like the character concept is playable now even with strictly EotE since it allows for prior-service.

Oh it definitely is playable now, I never said that. I'm just sure whatever is in AoR is gonna be super appealing to him and his character concept.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
In that case, do you feel comfortable with the possibility of starting up a game as EotE but then allowing him to pick some of the new AoR career specializations as subsequent career specializations during play? At least based on RAW that's how it's supposed to work, the issue I suppose being that narrative-wise it's in backwards order (the AoR career specializations presumably being meant for "current service").

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Chortles posted:

In that case, do you feel comfortable with the possibility of starting up a game as EotE but then allowing him to pick some of the new AoR career specializations as subsequent career specializations during play? At least based on RAW that's how it's supposed to work, the issue I suppose being that narrative-wise it's in backwards order (the AoR career specializations presumably being meant for "current service").

Why would I have a problem with that? Like you said, that's how they've been saying the books are supposed to work. It's a moot point when I don't want to buy the Beta book though and who knows whether he'll be playing that character when the actual book comes out next week.

I wasn't looking for help or advice, just whining that I don't want to buy the Beta book.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

neonchameleon posted:

So force sensitives. How do they work out in play?

By my calculations, it costs about the same as a stat point to become a Force Sensitive - and it gives you access to a drat good talent tree and some useful powers, with one of the three disciplines being passive and coincidental and a second being coincidental. Which feels to me as if they are about right?

In a game like Star Wars where you can buy most things you want, because magic items aren't the carrot, it's important to start the characters with very little, especially if they are scum types who are motivated by money.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

alg posted:

In a game like Star Wars where you can buy most things you want, because magic items aren't the carrot, it's important to start the characters with very little, especially if they are scum types who are motivated by money.
Moreover, that's 500 of a liquid asset with no strings attached, or 2000 of it between all four members of a four-member party, which ties right into the CRB's page 40 about "more Obligation for more starting credits". Heck, irrespective of party size the players collectively have at least 80,000 credits worth... it's just that almost all of it went into a starship and the ongoing upkeep thereof. (I don't recall finding anything about resale/used-purchase cost unlike Saga Edition's starship entries.)

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Had a great first game over the weekend using the beginner set. Highlights included Pash being a real scumbag, in which he succeeded with a triumph into flirting with the spaceport control lady, only to go and gamble himself penniless in the shantytown. Our 41-VEX was hilariously inept in combat, all his shots missed and his grenades were duds (two ability dice vs. two difficulty dice at medium range seems really hard for them to use). The space ship combat was pretty obtuse as well, with most of it simply being buff/debuff (Evasive, Stay on Target) or roll to hit. All in all it was a great first experience.

To those with the full rulebook, what are the race choices when creating a character? I have one player who wants to either be a Jawa or Trandoshan but I doubt either of those are available (but I guess for the Trandoshan we could just mod a few Wookie rules).

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Springfield Fatts posted:

To those with the full rulebook, what are the race choices when creating a character? I have one player who wants to either be a Jawa or Trandoshan but I doubt either of those are available (but I guess for the Trandoshan we could just mod a few Wookie rules).

You get to choose Bothans (many died to bring you this post), droids, Gands, Humans, Rodians, Trandoshans, Twi'leks, and Wookies.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
Has anyone ran the adventure that comes with the GM screen yet? I read through it today and it sounds pretty boss.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

8one6 posted:

You get to choose Bothans (many died to bring you this post), droids, Gands, Humans, Rodians, Trandoshans, Twi'leks, and Wookies.

Cool thanks.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

This is fanmade homebrew, but there is an unofficial species menagerie and it's pretty balanced. Official releases will almost certainly add more races eventually, but for now this is what we have.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

500 credits seems to be enough (at least if you don't want a decent weapon - my character has a holdout stun-only blaster and is relying on our bounty hunter's soak of 6 and capturing weapons after our first fight). If you want to be armed to the teeth, good luck. 3000 credits won't cut it for custom weapons.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

TheDemon posted:

Tons of species

Whoa, that's helpful. I know of of least two guys who would use the alternate species provided on here.

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice
We're on game 4 or 5, and had our first real space engagement. Can't say our pilot was too happy to see that the only thing he could do with his 3 piloting skill was try "Gain the Advantage," which isn't even an option in a speed 3 YT-1300. Even if it was, the difficulty would be daunting for him against the speed 5 TIE Fighters. We'd slapped a Quad Laser on the boat, and he spent most of the combat doing the same thing the rest of us did - Aim, Fire. Not terribly exciting.

On the other hand, there was a poo poo ton to do with my 3 mechanics skill. Boost shields, put out fires (repair system strain), and even do some real damage control.

There any specific rule against getting the same modification twice for a ship? I like to put a couple of +speed mods on the boat, so the pilot can at least feel like he's something other than a glorified gunner.

And while I'm thinking about mods - dear god most of them are terrible.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

neonchameleon posted:

500 credits seems to be enough (at least if you don't want a decent weapon - my character has a holdout stun-only blaster and is relying on our bounty hunter's soak of 6 and capturing weapons after our first fight). If you want to be armed to the teeth, good luck. 3000 credits won't cut it for custom weapons.
I think that it's up to the GM whether or not to allow the players to pool their budget during character creation, and whether or not to allow them all to take on additional Obligation for more starting credits, so that the group could then afford higher-end gear and then divvy it up between themselves during creation.

A stun-only holdout blast doesn't look like a half-bad option considering that its range is already Short, so literally all you lose is lethality while you "gain" a Setback die against anyone's Perception check to find it on you -- never know when the GM might invoke a pat-down -- and it's a third of the price of a light blaster pistol or a fourth of the price of a full-size blaster pistol.

Amish Retard
Jan 27, 2004
Taking the short wagon since 1885

Had a great first game over the weekend using the beginner set. Highlights included Pash being a real scumbag, in which he succeeded with a triumph into flirting with the spaceport control lady, only to go and gamble himself penniless in the shantytown. Our 41-VEX was hilariously inept in combat, all his shots missed and his grenades were duds (two ability dice vs. two difficulty dice at medium range seems really hard for them to use).

Vex was total crap at combat for us too, so one of the first things he did was put points into ranged: light. Also once the core book came out I let him put an extra point into agility, because starting out vex only has 12 characteristics and all the other PC's in my group had 15 or so, and doing some quick math it didn't look like his skills evened out if you looked at it as a xp point cost. One of the downsides of a pre-gen character I think.

Also grenades can only be used at short range, which would be 1 difficulty. And he could have used a destiny point to upgrade, so it could have been 1 Proficiency 1 Ability versus 1 difficulty die on that grenade toss.

Bularin posted:

We're on game 4 or 5, and had our first real space engagement. Can't say our pilot was too happy to see that the only thing he could do with his 3 piloting skill was try "Gain the Advantage," which isn't even an option in a speed 3 YT-1300. Even if it was, the difficulty would be daunting for him against the speed 5 TIE Fighters. We'd slapped a Quad Laser on the boat, and he spent most of the combat doing the same thing the rest of us did - Aim, Fire. Not terribly exciting.

Are you using the core rulebook? The pilot can Punch It, take evasive maneuvers or stay on target. Also keep in mind especially with space combat it's a very narrative system, so your pilot could say "I want to do a barrel roll and come in behind them" as a stay on target or evasive maneuver, which you could add boost or setback dice to, and he could gain bonuses for all the gunners for the next round, etc.

I agree that space combat seems a little clunky at first, we've only done one since the beginner game (but it's also because we have 6 players and I didn't want to have people sitting around doing nothing).

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice

Amish Retard posted:

Are you using the core rulebook? The pilot can Punch It, take evasive maneuvers or stay on target. Also keep in mind especially with space combat it's a very narrative system, so your pilot could say "I want to do a barrel roll and come in behind them" as a stay on target or evasive maneuver, which you could add boost or setback dice to, and he could gain bonuses for all the gunners for the next round, etc.

I agree that space combat seems a little clunky at first, we've only done one since the beginner game (but it's also because we have 6 players and I didn't want to have people sitting around doing nothing).

Stay on Target, Punch It, and Evasive Maneuvers are all diceless maneuvers. The only piloting check I could find in the whole of the space combat system was "Gain the Advantage." Since that option was right out, checking in at a ball-busting Daunting difficulty, literally anyone on the ship could have taken the pilot chair and accomplished the same tasks.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Thanks for the info on the grenades, I was relying on the player to tell me his stats for the weapon, this makes more sense now.

One thing I could suggest is any players that can't man a position could be doing the repair maintenance checks at a disadvantage, because I don't know if your space combat was anything like ours but the TIEs really hosed them up and I read that as the other players running around in the ship putting out fires and patching hull plates.

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

College Slice

One thing I could suggest is any players that can't man a position could be doing the repair maintenance checks at a disadvantage, because I don't know if your space combat was anything like ours but the TIEs really hosed them up and I read that as the other players running around in the ship putting out fires and patching hull plates.

It's silly, but the fact is that there's a whole lot for non-pilot characters to do. More than the pilot, really. There's a chart in the space combat section about using various and sundry non-pilot skills to do things. Shoot guns, fix things, direct fire, boost shields, repair stress, and a whole lot more I can't remember.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
I only had the smaller starter rulebook to go off of, so I was winging it. The fact was I had some lucky rolls as the GM (the linked lasers procced twice) which went from the usual movie mentality "oh TIE fighters, who cares?" to "holy poo poo a third of our hull points are gone" pretty quickly.

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

College Slice

I only had the smaller starter rulebook to go off of, so I was winging it. The fact was I had some lucky rolls as the GM (the linked lasers procced twice) which went from the usual movie mentality "oh TIE fighters, who cares?" to "holy poo poo a third of our hull points are gone" pretty quickly.

The stars of the movies had shields and plot armor. The setback (and boost) dice add so little to a roll that they feel meaningless. It's obviously not strictly analogous, but it reminds me of an old D&D character doing 32+d8 damage. Does anyone really care about the d8?

Maybe it's growing up on X-Wing and TIE Fighter games speaking, but it really feels like an A-Wing should have 1 in it's shields, an X-Wing 2, a Y-Wing 3, and something like a YT-1300 should be sitting at 4-5. I don't mind ground combat being so very offense based; laser swords and plasma bolts kill people in a hurry. Space combat seems like it should be just the opposite based on the setting, but it very clearly isn't.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

Bularin posted:

The stars of the movies had shields and plot armor. The setback (and boost) dice add so little to a roll that they feel meaningless. It's obviously not strictly analogous, but it reminds me of an old D&D character doing 32+d8 damage. Does anyone really care about the d8?

Maybe it's growing up on X-Wing and TIE Fighter games speaking, but it really feels like an A-Wing should have 1 in it's shields, an X-Wing 2, a Y-Wing 3, and something like a YT-1300 should be sitting at 4-5. I don't mind ground combat being so very offense based; laser swords and plasma bolts kill people in a hurry. Space combat seems like it should be just the opposite based on the setting, but it very clearly isn't.

i dunno, going by the movies (with the exception of the main cast) most ships (even xwings and ywings) blow up in just one or two shots

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

College Slice

treeboy posted:

i dunno, going by the movies (with the exception of the main cast) most ships (even xwings and ywings) blow up in just one or two shots

Probably to be blamed on a childhood full of TIE Fighter, then. I'm sure I'll get over it.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

treeboy posted:

You could argue Luke only survived the trench run in a new hope because of a "lucky" hit that knocked out R2 instead. Then again he couldn't even land it on Dagobah without crashing so maybe he's just a lovely pilot. Back to the game, I envision expansions where you can mod your ship, so perhaps that's why the base platforms are so fragile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

You could argue Luke only survived the trench run in a new hope because of a "lucky" hit that knocked out R2 instead. Then again he couldn't even land it on Dagobah without crashing so maybe he's just a lovely pilot. Back to the game, I envision expansions where you can mod your ship, so perhaps that's why the base platforms are so fragile.

there already are upgraded systems you can buy to beef up your defenses. Reinforced Shield Generator, Enhanced Carbon-Durasteel armor

• Locked thread