Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

susan posted:

Is it wrong that, as a Cryx, Circle, and Khador player, I'm getting the Protectorate Journeyman just in case I decide to start playing them as a 4th faction sometime between now and next April?

Yes it is because you should have more self respect than to start that faction :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

System: Hordes
Faction: Legion of Everblight
Casters: 1/1
Saeryn, Omen of Everblight (*5pts)
* Naga Nightlurker (5pts)
* Shredder (2pts)
* Shredder (2pts)
* Angelius (9pts)
* Scythean (9pts)
Blighted Nyss Shepherd (1pts)
Succubus (2pts)

Vayl, Disciple of Everblight (*6pts)
* Shredder (2pts)
* Typhon (12pts)
Blighted Nyss Raptors (Leader and 4 Grunts) (10pts)
Annyssa Ryvaal, Talon of Everblight (4pts)
Strider Deathstalker (2pts)

? 25 points is kinda hard to build for.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
So these are essentially done - just need to spray the matte on them tomorrow and decide if I want to paint stripes of halves on the base. Thanks for the advice on these, they ended up OK. Actually, I'm most excited about the bases - although I played Warhammer and 40k for years, I never did any basing beyond painting bases and occasionally some fine gravel.

Pictures are a little grainy because I re-sized them (I think). There is snow on the bases that is way more visible in real life. If I'm, going to keep taking pictures, I guess I need to learn how to use this camera too.

Anyway, thanks for pushing me along. I'm going to finish up the rest of the starter army when I get back from GenCon. Then maybe I'll challenge Alpha Phoenix to a match (aka, ask him to kick my noob face in)

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Hipster Occultist posted:

* Naga Nightlurker (5pts)
* Shredder (2pts)
* Shredder (2pts)
* Angelius (9pts)
* Scythean (9pts)
Succubus (2pts)

* Shredder (2pts)
* Typhon (12pts)
Blighted Nyss Raptors (Leader and 4 Grunts) (10pts)
Strider Deathstalker (2pts)

? 25 points is kinda hard to build for.
That Vayl list is fiendish. Yeah it's an odd number as its a tournament for newbies in our area to start to learn competitive play. The more experienced players are rocking up to give other players a good game and just not to ream the newbies. I like the Vayl list a lot. Any fury issues you think?

E:

* Shredder (2pts)
* Shredder (2pts)
* Scythean (9pts)
* Seraph (8pts)
Blighted Nyss Legionnaires (Leader and 9 Grunts) (6pts)

* Afflictor (4pts) OR Helion for free charges + Ice Storm Thing Forsaken Bomb.
* Shredder (2pts)
* Angelius (9pts)
* Angelius (9pts)
The Forsaken (2pts)

Quite tricky to build at this point scale, actually.

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Aug 10, 2013

Calico Noose
Jun 26, 2010

S.J. posted:

Yes it is because you should have more self respect than to start that faction :colbert:

I'm pretty sure that you give up all self-respect when you start playing Cryx.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Flipswitch posted:

That Vayl list is fiendish. Yeah it's an odd number as its a tournament for newbies in our area to start to learn competitive play. The more experienced players are rocking up to give other players a good game and just not to ream the newbies. I like the Vayl list a lot. Any fury issues you think?

Vayl's fury 8 and you have a Shepherd in there just in case, if anything you might have problems with getting enough fury if a beast goes down. Still it's highly mobile, hits fairly hard, and has a great hit'n'run style.

susan
Jan 14, 2013

Calico Noose posted:

I'm pretty sure that you give up all self-respect when you start playing Cryx.

Aw c'mon, at least I'm not thinking of starting up Cygnar, am I right?

Incy
May 30, 2006
for other Out

Hipster Occultist posted:

Vayl's fury 8 and you have a Shepherd in there just in case, if anything you might have problems with getting enough fury if a beast goes down. Still it's highly mobile, hits fairly hard, and has a great hit'n'run style.

I agree. I think the big problem would actually be generating enough fury while keeping beasts free to transfer if something goes wrong, so the shepherd isn't really going to be conditioning. Going all in on raptors when you've got incite and beasts to do the heavy lifting seems a bit odd, can you take striders instead? Hunter is so very useful and infuriating to fight against, and it frees you up some points to take more beasts.

Certainly keep typhon with pVayl.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Yeah I meant issues generating fury. Events starting soon so will write something down.

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000

susan posted:

Aw c'mon, at least I'm not thinking of starting up Cygnar, am I right?

Only real men wear their bathrobes to battle and call themselves gunmages.

Speaking of, I could use some help finetuning a Nemo1 list. I recently went up against Menoth and got crushed, since I had only chain lightning for anti-infantry and couldn't target his Exemplars. I since added in some Stormblades to arc lightning from. The (36 points german style) list now looks as follows:

Nemo1
-Lancer
-Centurion
-Stormclad
Arlan
Journeyman
Sylys
Tactical Arcanist Corps
Stormblades wirh 1 WA

that gives me three heavies with reach to hie behind. I'm debating wether or not to give the Stormclad to Arlan - that way he could be at 3 Focus most of the time, while the Centurion has 5. I do like the added threat of being able to choose which jack gets 5 focus, though.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

theironjef posted:

I have this case:

They're made by a friend of mine who is an enterprising nerdy businessman, and I always try to pimp his wares when I can: TableWar Designs.
(I use it locally. I have yet to have need to fly with my WMH, but I have an old giant Battlefoam case I could convert to WMH if I really needed to.)

I have to thank you for this. I have been looking for a new case. I will not by another Sabol case (the one I have I won in a tournament). Partly because I hate foam cases, but mostly because I happen to know Sabol. He lives and games around here and he is the most condescending, gooniest douche I have ever met.

I got my rear end down to Harbor Freight, which is a place that imports cheap Chinese hardware and tools. It is a really awesome place to shop around in for anyone interested in that sort of thing. You have to be careful you don't load down your cart with 4 dollar machetes, ceramic knives, and a flint and steel because why the gently caress not?

I bought an aluminum suitcase and 30 rare earth magnets for a total cost of 26 dollars. Then I ran to Walmart and picked up a cheap 4 dollar cake pan set (of which I only needed 1 pan) and glued that sucker into the case.

I ended up with this:

Not nearly as nice as yours, but I didn't have 100 bucks laying around. It will do fine for me until I double my model count, then I will have to make another. Not bad for 30 bucks! Thanks for the info!

The Dregs fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Aug 10, 2013

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Ended up ditching Typhon and running:

* Shredder (2pts)
* Angelius (9pts)
* Scythean (9pts)
* Seraph (8pts)
1 Spell Martyr (1pts)
The Forsaken (2pts)

Event was short due to poor turn out as the event had issues on whether it was going ahead or not. Ah well. We've got a journeyman league starting next week with alternate battleboxes allowed but limited to certain point thresholds, might rock Vayl then.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Gosh, I sure hope all these Goreshade3 rumours are true because I'm willing to take any excuse to paint some more Bane Thralls. :dance:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

JordanKai posted:

Gosh, I sure hope all these Goreshade3 rumours are true because I'm willing to take any excuse to paint some more Bane Thralls. :dance:

The problem is then you need to buy more Bane Thralls. Also I don't know about you, but the giant chunk of rein big enough to sculpt an extreme Carnivean that they come with really pisses me off.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

The Dregs posted:

I ended up with this:

Not nearly as nice as yours, but I didn't have 100 bucks laying around. It will do fine for me until I double my model count, then I will have to make another. Not bad for 30 bucks! Thanks for the info!

That's perfect dude, my backup case is a big blue rubbermade thing with a piece of sheet metal on the bottom. Anything that keeps the models from touching each other is golden.

Sricero
Nov 7, 2010

I Teach Yoga you son of a bitch.

JordanKai posted:

Goreshade on a horse.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Or to put it anagrammatically, Goreshade: Egad, Horse!

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
BIG PIG

& little pig

I kind of want to start Thornfall whole hog. HA

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
That'll do, pigs. That'll do.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Luebbi posted:

Only real men wear their bathrobes to battle and call themselves gunmages.
Bah, real men call themselves fistmages and don't need tools to fight their battles for them.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007
For your consideration, a Strakvhov list!

Strakhov
Beast 09

Widowmaker Marksman
Fenris or (IF Kovnik, Wardog, Manhunter) or (Fenris, IF Kovnik, Wardog, drop Eliminators)

WGI+UA
Kovnik Joe
Eliminators (see above)
Widowmakers
IFP+Black Dragon UA
MoW Democorps

The plan is basically to dominate on feat turn and then stay in place for a turn or two. The feat guarantees that I can deliver stuff from flanks, like Fenris and the Eliminators. IFP screen the MoW. who get occultation. The feat also lets me charge the IFP laterally, letting the MoW smash forward. IFP are a good core and can act as a solid anchor without any warcaster support. My least favorite part is using Beast 09, but he is pretty focus efficient and has reach.

This is also very close to the first list I ever ran at 50 points. I think the big changes are using the IFP and using Eliminators (which were not released when I started playing). So that's nice for nostalgia's sake. As usual, my second list is Irusk running IFP, Boomhowlers, MoW a Spriggan and support. In composition it's actually super similar to the Strakhov list and they both play for scenario. Irusk wants to just clog and overtake zones; Strakhov wants to get there first and clear zones asap then hold on to dear life while CP accrue. I just wrapped up painting Vlad3, so I think next week I'll bring that list instead.

Adding in the IF Kovnik makes the list pretty decent against Menoth, I suspect. It's also possible to keep the IF Kovnik and Fenris by essentially trading in the Eliminators. The solo loadout sort of depends on what can kill them (shooting, AoEs, etc.), but I don't know what the best all around choice is.

!amicable fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Aug 10, 2013

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

That's a very interesting list. I've always wanted to figure out a good list for Strakhov, this seems like it would be solid. Let us know how it plays!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Sulecrist posted:

BIG PIG

& little pig

I kind of want to start Thornfall whole hog. HA

Looking good :)
I love the orange touch.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Sab669 posted:

Looking good :)
I love the orange touch.

Thanks! All of my mercs/minions are in Orioles colors since they sort of complement both my Circle and Khador schemes and also because I loving love the Orioles.

Here're two other examples, I know I posted them a while ago in here. I R SMART was the person who recommended sports team colors as an easy way for me to figure out a good color scheme, I think.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Sulecrist posted:

Here're two other examples, I know I posted them a while ago in here. I R SMART was the person who recommended sports team colors as an easy way for me to figure out a good color scheme, I think.

You could go through the effort of learned color theory or you could just cheat. I prefer to cheat.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

You could go through the effort of learned color theory or you could just cheat. I prefer to cheat.

Where have you been? We need you here :smith:

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

My store is having a 25 pt 'new players' tourney in a few weeks. I don't want to be a big dick, just take my eCaine list and stomp everything. I also have my Cyriss that I really want to play, but there's not a lot of models out.

I can run this:

Forge Master Syntherion (*6pts)
* Galvanizer (3pts)
* Cipher (9pts)
* Prime Axiom (19pts)

On one hand, It'll be really hard to take down a Prime Axiom at 25 points, it's a giant stompy bastard with amazing recovery/attrition with Synth. My newer meta might not be able to handle it.

On the other hand, I can't make servitors because I don't have the models yet, and I have no screening infantry, so I'm really going in underpowered.

Alternately I'll take Jarl and either skew with max long riders, horthol, impaler, bomber or a more standard mauler, impaler, max kriels/ua/1 caber, runebearer, sons of bragg.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

I'm thinking Ravens Menoth.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

It's a cruddy picture and a crappy comp, but by god it's 25 points of currently available Cyriss and I'll be able to play fully painted at the release event.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?
They look good man. Good as hell.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

It's true. They do. Man that faction is so cool.

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

albany academy posted:

That's a very interesting list. I've always wanted to figure out a good list for Strakhov, this seems like it would be solid. Let us know how it plays!

Turn two, Strakhov's dream:
Feat, Beast-09. Caster Kill
That's livin the dream

Tldr; I'm not sure if it's a good list. I just used the built in assassination trick to win this game. I didn't clear the flag and dominate+contest for one turn, so I didn't really see how that plan would work out.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Thanks, but that picture I put up was atrocious, so I'll try again here:

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

:flashfap: Unf, that paintjob is sexy as hell.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

!amicable posted:

That's livin the dream

Tldr; I'm not sure if it's a good list. I just used the built in assassination trick to win this game. I didn't clear the flag and dominate+contest for one turn, so I didn't really see how that plan would work out.

Well, that IS how he's supposed to work, so that's solid! If you do actually pull your scenario plan off, I'd like to hear how it went regardless.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

!amicable posted:

That's livin the dream

(EDIT: I misunderstood the exchange and I think your main plan with the Strakhov list is solid. This is just a post about his assassination trick.)

I'm not sure if this is going to work against warlocks. I never actually sat down and thought about it before but you're probably going to use your imprint (since otherwise you'd need to boost every swing) which leaves you with three axe attacks and, if you aren't threshering, plausibly one fist. With boosted attack rolls you'll hit DEF 15 (a good benchmark for warlocks, I think) 74% of the time. You'll probably be doing 10-12 damage per swing, but the odds of a single attack doing the job are pretty small. Charge will help your damage a little bit but not so much as to tip it into great odds. It'll be downright bad odds if they're camping two, and if they're only camping one it's going to be pretty much a coinflip (since your expected damage will generally run between 15 and 18). And keep in mind that since the number of rolls will be so small, and the consequences for heavily wounding a caster are so different from killing him, that this is going to manifest as something approaching complete failure in a quarter of the games you try it.

Basically you'll never want to do it when they're camping two and it's far from a sure thing when they're camping one. And who camps one, anyway? I think it's a much better gambit versus warcasters, but they'll also tend to be further away (since forcing happens within CTRL and spending focus doesn't) so I'm not sure even that's going to be reliable enough to be a great Plan A.

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Aug 12, 2013

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

S.J. posted:

Where have you been? We need you here :smith:

Super busy with life honestly, summer is the best time of year in Portland, gotta get out and do outdoorsy stuff before it becomes grey skies and rainy again.

I do need to decide on a 2nd caster still for WTC, so I can finish painting those models.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Oh goddammit, that release event is battlegroup only, and I just finished up all those angels. Now I have to drop the galvanizer and paint up a third Cipher just to be in the game at all. Why the hell would they go battlegroup only when there's only 3 warjacks you can even get without buying multiples of the starter box right now(barring access to early convention releases)?

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

theironjef posted:

Oh goddammit, that release event is battlegroup only, and I just finished up all those angels. Now I have to drop the galvanizer and paint up a third Cipher just to be in the game at all. Why the hell would they go battlegroup only when there's only 3 warjacks you can even get without buying multiples of the starter box right now(barring access to early convention releases)?

I showed up to the event and unpacked all my infantry and poo poo before realizing it was BG only. I think that's pretty standard for these things. Pro tip: if you want to have a shot at one of the awards, make the 120mm power node and the terrain pieces. I made some walls but not the node. A PG showed up to ours with the node and walls, plus playing CoC, so basically at the start of game one he had ten points. I gave up on trying to get one of the other titles when I saw that but at least got the best painted one. :hellyeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Fyrbrand posted:

I showed up to the event and unpacked all my infantry and poo poo before realizing it was BG only. I think that's pretty standard for these things. Pro tip: if you want to have a shot at one of the awards, make the 120mm power node and the terrain pieces. I made some walls but not the node. A PG showed up to ours with the node and walls, plus playing CoC, so basically at the start of game one he had ten points. I gave up on trying to get one of the other titles when I saw that but at least got the best painted one. :hellyeah:

I was planning to unload a big box of old desert terrain I made for 40k, crunching together a power node will only be difficult because of acquiring a 120mm base inside of a week.

• Locked thread