Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

maxnmona posted:

Why do I have to make this happen? You make it happen.
How many of you have short waves? I've got 100 200 watts and a 30' vertical on a 40' tower. Lets make a sched, I haven't played pirate radio since high school but I'm down.

Edit: with the appropriate permission from the creator, of course. I should have said that first.

iostream.h fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Aug 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
I think I may have just jizzed.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Earwicker posted:

So what is the relationship exactly between Hannibal and Night Vale? I know Jeffrey mentioned the theory that when Night Vale started really blowing up a couple weeks ago, it was because a lot of the Hannibal fanbase had come over, but I don't see the connection. I did notice that Night Vale fans on tumblr are constantly posting pictures of Mags Mikkelsen though.

Hannibal? The HBO series? Hannibal burris? Did Hannibal Burris tweet the show? What fanbase are you talking about?

e: For some reason I read Hannibal but thought you said Rome. That other Hannibal who was more famous for elephants and less for eating people. I completely forgot about the third Hannibal.

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Aug 9, 2013

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

iostream.h posted:

How many of you have short waves? I've got 100 200 watts and a 30' vertical on a 40' tower. Lets make a sched, I haven't played pirate radio since high school but I'm down.

Edit: with the appropriate permission from the creator, of course. I should have said that first.

My god, yes. I only have a receiver, but let me know when this thing is happening and I will be listening so hard.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

And for the love of god, crosspost the sched to the Shortwave listening thread in DIY & Hobbies.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917

FalseParadigm posted:

Cecil (the actor) has performed live as Cecil (the character), so I think there is your answer - for both his looks and voice.

Not really. Kevin of Desert Bluffs, who may possibly be Cecil's doppleganger, is voiced by an African American actor. So just... whatever, who cares.

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

Tender Child Loins posted:

Not really. Kevin of Desert Bluffs, who may possibly be Cecil's doppleganger, is voiced by an African American actor. So just... whatever, who cares.

Oh wow that is AWESOME information.

FalseParadigm
Apr 30, 2005

Chew, chew, chew. That is the thing to do.

Tender Child Loins posted:

Not only is that awesome information, but why couldn't Cecil's doppleganger have been black? Also, from Cecil's description of Desert Bluffs' studios and Kevin, Desert Bluffs may be hell and Kevin may be some sort of demon...

...and demons don't see race, just blood and viscera.

Action Yak
Nov 9, 2008

FalseParadigm posted:

Cecil (the actor) has performed live as Cecil (the character), so I think there is your answer - for both his looks and voice.
How many characters really look like their voice actors, though?
I think it's best for everyone to just make up their own Cecil. The vagueness and filling in the blanks yourself are one of the most important parts of Night Vale, after all. Hooray for imagination!

Never explain why anything weird exists or what the "deal" with Night Vale really is, please. It all just is, for reasons we will never know, and that is the way it should be. What fun would it be if it all made sense? Not that I think you're planning on telling us, just that I'm sure plenty of people want you to for some stupid reason.

Action Yak fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Aug 9, 2013

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Action Yak Police posted:

I think it's best for everyone to just make up their own Cecil. The vagueness and filling in the blanks yourself are one of the most important parts of Night Vale, after all. Hooray for imagination!

I've been sort of imagining him as a less buff Mr. Clean in a sweater vest. I still don't get why his voice conjures that image.

FalseParadigm
Apr 30, 2005

Chew, chew, chew. That is the thing to do.

Action Yak Police posted:

No matter how disturbing I can imagine something, the fanfic crowd is so much worse.

And Kevin is a demon. :colbert:

EDIT

xanthan posted:

I've been sort of imagining him as a less buff Mr. Clean in a sweater vest. I still don't get why his voice conjures that image.
That's pretty much what he looks like without the scruff.

FalseParadigm fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Aug 9, 2013

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I imagine him as a three-dicked tentacle monster here let me show you the drawing I made

Latitude Ocotpus
Nov 17, 2009
From the tumblr community I follow the majority have Cecil as a blond guy and although some are different everyone agrees that he wears a sweater vest. Just the way his voice sounds I guess.

The third eye thing came from some peoples idea that Cecil seems to know about things that happen in nightvale almost instantly and in great detail. The tumblr community sees it as a sort of receiver for town news and the look of it was cool an d so it caught on. Having a third eye that is not mentioned seems sort of nightvale though.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Regarding Cecil's appearance:

Commonplace Books FAQ posted:

WHAT DOES THE CHARACTER CECIL [OR KEVIN OR OLD WOMAN JOSIE OR _____] LOOK LIKE?

What do YOU think they look like?
Basically it's kind of pointless to discuss what someone looks like on the show, unless their appearance has been explicitly described they look however you want them to look.

notsowelp
Oct 12, 2012

Though she is small, she is fierce.
This is a pretty :3: post making the rounds on tumblr:

quote:

So today I was wearing my night vale shirt during a short family outing at Ben and Jerry’s and I was stopped by this fantastic person who TURNED OUT TO BE CECIL FROM NIGHT VALE.
And he was so so nice and his voice was just as amazing in person and I might’ve flipped a little bit but he asked my name and wanted a picture with me and I got a picture with him and I literally spent the rest of the day grinning and bouncing like the small child I really am.
I’m a little sad because I was caught so completely off guard that I didn’t really manage to articulate how much I love night vale and also how much it meant to me as a queer person the way they’ve developed Cecil and Carlos’ relationship.
However at the end of the day I can’t be too upset because I met Cecil!!!! And it was maybe one of the best things ever to happen to me.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
"I didn’t really manage to articulate how much I love night vale and also how much it meant to me as a queer person the way they’ve developed Cecil and Carlos’ relationship."

Honestly I think this might be one of the driving forces behind its popularity, particularly on Tumblr where a lot of young queer people hang out and share media things. I know their relationship isn't the point of the show, but I think that's WHY it resonates so strongly with people. It's just a detail. It's not relegated to the sidelines or played for laughs, but it's also not this Big Forbidden Dramatic Love that causes Identity Angst. It's a completely organic part of the show and not a big deal whatsoever... which makes it sort of revolutionary.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

I've somehow managed to miss this on the forums so far, but man this is great. I've got it playing just before I go to sleep, in the dark coming over my radio, it's really wonderful. Thanks!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

notsowelp posted:

She's either ridiculously short or he's ridiculously tall.

Serious Cephalopod
Jul 1, 2007

This is a Serious post for a Serious thread.

Bloop Bloop Bloop
Pillbug

Len posted:

She's either ridiculously short or he's ridiculously tall.

We don't know their age or gender, but the guy who plays Cecil is definitely an adult and definitely tall.

KingJackalope
Aug 10, 2007
More than a rabbit?

notsowelp posted:

That John Carpenter/The Carpenters mash-up shirt is pretty funny.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Serious Cephalopod posted:

We don't know their age or gender, but the guy who plays Cecil is definitely an adult and definitely tall.

Didn't read any of the words until after I posted that. But he/she/porpoise still looks short as hell. The words say he/she/porpoise is a small child but I have difficulty believing a small child uses tumblr.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Len posted:

The words say he/she/porpoise is a small child but I have difficulty believing a small child uses tumblr.

Have you ever been to tumblr?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Earwicker posted:

Have you ever been to tumblr?

I have not. I figured a large number of the users would be late teens though.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Len posted:

Yeah probably the majority of the userbase is late teens and early 20s but it also definitely has younger kids - it has kind of replaced myspace in a sense.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

So where those people MEANT to go into the Dog Park during poetry week so that the women could send Cecil the picture of the poem and have them all act as a human sacrifice?

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.

showbiz_liz posted:

"I didn’t really manage to articulate how much I love night vale and also how much it meant to me as a queer person the way they’ve developed Cecil and Carlos’ relationship."

Honestly I think this might be one of the driving forces behind its popularity, particularly on Tumblr where a lot of young queer people hang out and share media things. I know their relationship isn't the point of the show, but I think that's WHY it resonates so strongly with people. It's just a detail. It's not relegated to the sidelines or played for laughs, but it's also not this Big Forbidden Dramatic Love that causes Identity Angst. It's a completely organic part of the show and not a big deal whatsoever... which makes it sort of revolutionary.

As a long time listener, I have to say that I totally didn't think Cecil's gushing over Carlos was ever going to lead to anything at first. In the early episodes it felt just like another recurring joke, like the Apache Tracker or the hooded figures. I was pleasantly surprised with the developments in the latest episodes, and that there seems to now be a completely normal love story in the middle of all the supernatural poo poo going on with the rest of the town. I really like that the show likes to stir things up like that occasionally, that certain subplots are resolved (like with the Apache tracker) or elevated (the whole Carlos situation). It keeps the show fresh and makes it feel more serial. It's good writing.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

KingJackalope posted:

That John Carpenter/The Carpenters mash-up shirt is pretty funny.

http://www.ifccenter.com/merchandise/

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

Len posted:

From what I've discovered of Tumblr in my last 2 weeks of exploring it is that apparently everyone has been deeply traumatized at some point in their life and will have a seizure or something if they start reading fanfic or see art related to that trauma, and that's why the trigger warnings are longer than the drat thing you're trying to look at sometimes.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Started listening to this show a little over a week ago thanks to my girlfriend who learned about it through tumblr. It's really good! At first I thought I'd get tired of it after a few episodes, but the plot elements that run through the episodes along side the single odd occurrences makes it easy to listen to. My favorite episodes so far are the two for the Sandstorm. Desert Bluffs sounds even more frightening than Night Vale, especially because of how happy Kevin is about everything.

I was also wondering if Cecil is available for voice-actor work and what he charges. I've got a really short (2 minute) animated film idea that I think his voice would be perfect for, but I wouldn't be able to pay more than $250-300 dollars. If he could do it that would be awesome.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

Ccs posted:

Started listening to this show a little over a week ago thanks to my girlfriend who learned about it through tumblr. It's really good! At first I thought I'd get tired of it after a few episodes, but the plot elements that run through the episodes along side the single odd occurrences makes it easy to listen to. My favorite episodes so far are the two for the Sandstorm. Desert Bluffs sounds even more frightening than Night Vale, especially because of how happy Kevin is about everything.

I was also wondering if Cecil is available for voice-actor work and what he charges. I've got a really short (2 minute) animated film idea that I think his voice would be perfect for, but I wouldn't be able to pay more than $250-300 dollars. If he could do it that would be awesome.

Email nightvale@commonplacebooks.com with the details and I'll pass the offer on to him.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

It honestly never occurred to me that Cecil was gay until the date episode. I assumed everyone in the town was exactly as infatuated with perfect Carlos as Cecil was if it was news whenever he did anything. Until I hear otherwise I'm going to assume they are, and if you're straight then you just want to share a beer with him and maybe rub his shoulders a little but dang what a perfect man.

I mean when an outsider comes into a creepy community and threatens the powers that be, sure, you could give them the evil eye and declare them cursed and everyone shrinks away or forms a lynch mob and throws them into the well Shirley Jackson style... or, or- Everyone can have their eyes glaze over and get caught up in his perfect hair and miss everything he's saying about mind control chips in the water supply or whatever and it works out to about the same.

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

iostream.h posted:

My friend and I have receivers. You should definitely do this if you get the chance.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Venusian Weasel posted:

My friend and I have receivers. You should definitely do this if you get the chance.
I THINK my transceiver will hold up to the duty cycle, I'll need to fab up an audio input to my microphone jack, which granted, won't take long.

I'll PM the OP in case he's missed all this to make sure it's kosher with him too.

Latitude Ocotpus
Nov 17, 2009
Have you seen this post going around tumblr?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Krinkle posted:

It honestly never occurred to me that Cecil was gay until the date episode. I assumed everyone in the town was exactly as infatuated with perfect Carlos as Cecil was if it was news whenever he did anything. Until I hear otherwise I'm going to assume they are, and if you're straight then you just want to share a beer with him and maybe rub his shoulders a little but dang what a perfect man.

The scout leader in Eternal Scouts implies that he and Cecil might have been together at some point in the past, I think.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

For the love of god if you shortwave radio goons go through with it please record it because I think it would sound awesome but have no receiver/transceiver/antenna, etc.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

Woebin posted:

Regarding Cecil's appearance:
[url=http://commonplacebooks.com/faqs/]

Basically it's kind of pointless to discuss what someone looks like on the show, unless their appearance has been explicitly described they look however you want them to look.

I saw a rather interesting piece of art the other day that had Cecil with white eyes behind sunglasses, and a white-handled cane in easy reach. Because apparently his name means 'blind'.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Finally getting around to listening to this - I'm halfway through episode 3!

I really like it so far, but I think my complaint is that I don't feel like I'm necessarily listening to an NPR broadcast/community news update, but more listening to a guy directly reading monotone-ly at a script.

Does the announcer get a bit more loose and free-sounding?

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander

SgtScruffy posted:

Finally getting around to listening to this - I'm halfway through episode 3!

I really like it so far, but I think my complaint is that I don't feel like I'm necessarily listening to an NPR broadcast/community news update, but more listening to a guy directly reading monotone-ly at a script.

Does the announcer get a bit more loose and free-sounding?

As I recently started over from the beginning of the show, its a HUGE leap from where Cecil is today. He really is pretty monotonous and flat in the early episodes, but he brings the character to life, and it doesn't take him long to really get the inflections and pacing refined. Keep listening! It's really good and it keeps getting better!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

With the huge audience this is getting, I really hope this turns the current generation on to the joys of radio theater.

As Douglas Adams said: "Radio is superior to TV because the pictures are better."