Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Looking forward to see how many replies that is going to generate as we do down this Pratchett thread cycle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

AlphaDog posted:

Matt Frewer looks like my impression of Vimes.

Unfortunately, I can't help but think of him in Eureka when I see him, where he played an Australian with such a terrible accent he just sounded borderline mentally damaged and I didn't even realise he was meant to be Aussie until I read it on the internet.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Looking back on them now, those old Channel 4 animated movies and the first Discworld games aesthetics wise really stick out like a sore thumb compared to the whole thing now.

Still, the music was pretty solid.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I was rereading The Truth and I realized that among the substances that Mr. Tulip snorts in his misguided attempts to develop a drug problem are... "bath salts."

Terry Pratchett can write jokes that inadvertently take on a new layer of meaning a decade after they are printed. :v:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

SeanBeansShako posted:

Looking back on them now, those old Channel 4 animated movies and the first Discworld games aesthetics wise really stick out like a sore thumb compared to the whole thing now.

Still, the music was pretty solid.

If you can find the Soul Music OST it's well worth the effort. It has full versions of all the songs played in the show.

Fizzicist
Nov 14, 2009

Blackboard Monitor Vimes is probably my favourite character in any fiction.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
This is a cool bit of Kidby Soul Music art. Can you place all the characters? some of the dwarves and old men in the middle are hard to name. I wonder who the blonde is beside Vimes?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Mister Roboto posted:

I wonder who the blonde is beside Vimes?

Could be Angua.

Edit: Oh, no. She's on the other side. Erm. Ysabel, maybe?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Mister Roboto posted:

This is a cool bit of Kidby Soul Music art. Can you place all the characters? some of the dwarves and old men in the middle are hard to name. I wonder who the blonde is beside Vimes?

If you mean the three old men behind Imp and the Librarian, it's the Senior Wrangler, the Dean and Leonard of Quirm.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.
Could our mysterious tanned blonde be Conina?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I love me some new Kidby art, especially with one of my own personal favourites (Soul Music is awesome despite what so people say). Just noticed The Watch seems to just use any old helmet they can get their hands on.

Really hope the TV series uses his art direction, It just clicks.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
New cover:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Darn, was hoping for Moist to be involved.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Well it looks promising at least.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Jedit posted:

If you mean the three old men behind Imp and the Librarian, it's the Senior Wrangler, the Dean and Leonard of Quirm.

Nah, you can tell who are the wizards since they are in red with the coif-hair described in the book.

I meant more the dwarf beside Colon, the dwarf beside Granny, the short guy in front of Vimes, the broken-tooked guy in front of HIM, the guy in the derby beside Cohen, the Valkyrie above them, and the two trolls. Also, Magrat seems MIA.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

bunnyofdoom posted:

Darn, was hoping for Moist to be involved.

I thought this was a Moist and the Undertaking book?

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.
The bloke in the centre of the new cover looks Moist-ish to me.

That Valkyrie on the Soul Music cover is probably the one who was giving Susan a hand on her first battlefield Duty, don't think she ever got a name.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

withak posted:

New cover:

Same raised eyebrow, smile, sideburns, etc etc.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Oh, not the American cover.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Kegslayer posted:

I thought this was a Moist and the Undertaking book?

It was considered that at the start, but I think Pratchett realized Moist wasn't the working-man-hands-get-dirty-personally type.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

That could easily be Moist. Remember, Moist looks incredibly generic when not in some outlandish costume.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

MikeJF posted:

That could easily be Moist. Remember, Moist looks incredibly generic when not in some outlandish costume.

Yeah, but it's been said that it's not Moist on Terry's website.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!
Is that a goblin or an orc holding that axe? Could be interesting to see whether they've been integrated into Ankh-Morpork society since Snuff and Unseen Academicals.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

wallaka posted:

Oh, not the American cover.

Does anyone have comparisons of the UK vs US covers for Pratchett's books?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
http://upcoming4.me/news/book-news/terry-pratchett-raising-steam-cover-art-and-synopsis-reveal

"Change is afoot in Ankh-Morpork--Discworld's first steam engine has arrived, and once again Moist von Lipwig finds himself with a new and challenging job."

So that answers that.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Hey, it sounds better already.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Hedrigall posted:

http://upcoming4.me/news/book-news/terry-pratchett-raising-steam-cover-art-and-synopsis-reveal

"Change is afoot in Ankh-Morpork--Discworld's first steam engine has arrived, and once again Moist von Lipwig finds himself with a new and challenging job."

So that answers that.

Ooh I hope it's not bad. :smith:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Why is it like half a year from the UK to the US release? Have they done that before? The only Discworld book I've bought on release is Snuff and I'm pretty sure I would have remembered having to wait half a year.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

JerryLee posted:

Why is it like half a year from the UK to the US release? Have they done that before? The only Discworld book I've bought on release is Snuff and I'm pretty sure I would have remembered having to wait half a year.

I guess it just takes a long-rear end time to teach spell check to ignore the missing U's and to not replace all the Z's with S's.

davestones
May 7, 2009

mirthdefect posted:

I guess it just takes a long-rear end time to teach spell check to ignore the missing U's and to not replace all the Z's with S's.

Did you get that the wrong way round? Superfluous U's 4 lyfe :britain:

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

davestones posted:

Did you get that the wrong way round? Superfluous U's 4 lyfe :britain:

Nope, I meant teaching the spell check to be wrong for the US edition

Also Commonwealth buds 4eva.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

mirthdefect posted:

Nope, I meant teaching the spell check to be wrong for the US edition

Also Commonwealth buds 4eva.

We outnumber you five to one, stop complaining about how you spell things wrong :argh:

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Unfortunately, all the other former colonies still spell things funny and outnumber us by a wide margin.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
Pratchett experts! I need your help!

I'm writing a short story with wizards and humor, and this morning I woke up and thought, "Holy crap, did I just unintentionally plaguerize Pratchett?"

The bit in question:

"Ah yes, but what about real magic?" asked Coormar the Whitest. "Haven't you got anything with perhaps a touch more...zip? The lad before you summoned up a living bolt of lightning that asked politely to shake my hand! And was actually offended when I declined!"

For some reason I'm thinking there's a part in Night Watch with a sentient lightning bolt. Can anyone help?

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

BananaNutkins posted:

I'm writing a short story with wizards and humor, and this morning I woke up and thought, "Holy crap, did I just unintentionally plaguerize Pratchett?"

The bit in question:

"Ah yes, but what about real magic?" asked Coormar the Whitest. "Haven't you got anything with perhaps a touch more...zip? The lad before you summoned up a living bolt of lightning that asked politely to shake my hand! And was actually offended when I declined!"

For some reason I'm thinking there's a part in Night Watch with a sentient lightning bolt. Can anyone help?

Definitely not in Night Watch.

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005

BananaNutkins posted:

The bit in question:

Can't remember a sentient lightning bolt from any Discworld book (unless there's one in Unseen Academicals, which I only read once, and didn't enjoy).

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
The lightning doesn't seem to from Pratchett, but the overly-friendly-sentient-object idea itself sounds like something from one of the Wizard books.

Possibly an insect, maybe it's a concept from Sourcery.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
Thanks guys. You've eased my mind.

If I copied it, it would have appeared in the watch, moist, or tiffany aching books, because that's all I've read.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

BananaNutkins posted:

The bit in question:

There is at one point a sentient storm in Discworld, but I can't remember which book. One of the later ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

No one but YOU.

Jedit posted:

There is at one point a sentient storm in Discworld, but I can't remember which book. One of the later ones.

Completely wrong, it's Wyrd Sistes and it's just going on about how dramatically approrpiate storms can be (it studied under the great hurricanes of its day)