Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

fronz posted:

They literally multiplied boss HP by 10 without similarly scaling your damage. The NES III is at least balanced and potentially fun. DSIII is tedious and painful and not worth your time.

It's been years since I played III DS, but I never really noticed any kind of difficulty spike. IV DS, however, now that was hard. I barely made it to the moon and then gave up because the random battles wiped me out and I'd already beaten the NES version anyway.

I should add that I don't particularly like any of the first 3 NES FF games, and was originally introduced to Final Fantasy during the PSOne era (since that was when I was growing up). I don't know if that makes me slightly biased towards the DS versions of III and IV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
As somebody who is currently going through Final Fantasy (the original)...

...don't play Final Fantasy.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Gologle posted:

As somebody who is currently going through Final Fantasy (the original)...

...don't play Final Fantasy.

Watching two of your characters swing at air because your Fighter crit the monster before they got to go builds character. Also potions that recover more than 30 HP are a crutch, I tell you.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The best remake of a NES Final Fantasy is Final Fantasy Origins on PS1.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Zombies' Downfall posted:

The terrible secret of Final Fantasy is that the NES versions of the originals aren't good enough to hold up today and the remakes of them are all superior in some ways but in the case of 1/3 made bafflingly bad design choices (the remakes of 1 are the easiest games ever, the remake of 3 as noted already is a real grinder) and in the case of 2 absolutely no amount of bugfixes and balance changes can save that ship from sinking.

They're worth playing as historical artifacts if you wanna say you've beaten every game or to see the origins of the job system or something, but as actual games they just aren't very good and certainly don't stand the test of time the way 4-10 do. I can still randomly pick up any of those games, including 8 for all its bizarre warts, and spend days on it.
Apart from not giving any direction at all in terms of where to go or who to talk to, the NES version of FF1 is just fine, in my opinion. It can be frustrating to see Ineffective at times, especially when you're in a close fight, but I like that it means I'm actually thinking about which party members I'll need to attack which enemies. Instead of telling everyone to attack the first monster and letting the damage spill over to the rest, I'm considering roughly how much HP I think the monster has, how much damage I've done to it, and whether I think one character can finish it off or if I should send two just to be safe.

Conversely, I played through several games in the 4-10 range for the first time over the past few years and thought a few of them were garbage. Whether something "stands the test of time" in this case is probably more a matter of what your tastes were then and now - you may not like FF1 now, even if you may have in the past, but I certainly enjoyed it, and maybe I would have liked FF4 more if I'd played it when I was younger, but I definitely do not like it now.

dukerson
Dec 28, 2012

Armor-Piercing posted:

Apart from not giving any direction at all in terms of where to go or who to talk to, the NES version of FF1 is just fine, in my opinion. It can be frustrating to see Ineffective at times, especially when you're in a close fight, but I like that it means I'm actually thinking about which party members I'll need to attack which enemies. Instead of telling everyone to attack the first monster and letting the damage spill over to the rest, I'm considering roughly how much HP I think the monster has, how much damage I've done to it, and whether I think one character can finish it off or if I should send two just to be safe.

As terrible as the game (games? were there sequels?) were, I think Golden Sun actually did a decent job with this, since you had AoE/spillover abilities that purposely took advantage of the mechanic.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Mazed posted:

VIII: gently caress, did this even have crystals?

XI: Crystals. Story: Who knows, good luck finding someone who got that far or was paying attention. :v:

VIII: Lunatic Pandora was built around the Crystal Pillar, which is what actually causes the Lunar Cry.

XI: The original Crystal gave birth to the gods of Vana'diel, the gods created the Zilart and then slept, and then the Holy Gatekeeper smote the Zilart for getting too big for their britches. The Goddess of Dawn, Altana, awoke and saw this, and wept five tears that created the five Enlightened Races you can play as. However, the God of Twilight, Promathia, saw this. Promathia saw fit to condemn her weakness and the life that arose from it. Promathia cursed the five races with eternal conflict amongst themselves by bringing forth their darkest attributes: the apathy of the Humes, the arrogance of the Elvaan, the rage of the Galka, the cowardice of the Tarutaru, and the envy of the Mithra. He then created the Beastmen and all the monsters and spread them across the world, commanding them to forever fight the people of Vana'diel. There's a bunch more, but it's all part of the expansion storylines.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

I think I quit FF3 DS not long after the Garuda bossfight, expecting the rest of the game to be equally as bullshit.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Lord of Pie posted:

I think I quit FF3 DS not long after the Garuda bossfight, expecting the rest of the game to be equally as bullshit.

I wish that were true, but it only got waaaaaaay worse from there, culminating in the most rage inducing final dungeon I have seen in the series.

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

FFIII NES is a interesting since it is sort of a proto-FFV, but really you just want to play V again instead. It was interesting to see the development in concept from FFI to FFIII to FFV, though, with respect to the job system, but even the story, plot elements and settings had a lot of parallels that the series overall doesn't necessarily share.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
So I'll skip ffiii ds then, but how was revenant wings? Dumb story or no? Never got to try it.

Pope on fire
May 12, 2013

Lord of Pie posted:

You definitely dodged a bullet there mate. Just read the plot summary and you'll be good.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Fingers McLongDong posted:

So I'll skip ffiii ds then, but how was revenant wings? Dumb story or no? Never got to try it.

It's not the greatest game in the world but I had some fun with it, even if I never played it again after beating the campaign.
The RTS elements are very simple, and the story has nothing to do with what happened in FFXII, and would have worked just as well
without the FFXII characters. It's a decent time-waster, though.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I personally liked the story, especially since it develops Vann and Penelo instead of shoving them into the background.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
Revenant Wings is a game I can hardly remember playing, so I think that means the story isn't particularly stupid, nor was it remarkable. I think SSNeoman is right in saying it does a good job developing Vaan and Penelo. I also remember there being an optional boss run if you're after 100% completion that are just utterly impossible to beat, so beware of that.

Wonder if anyone has an opinion of Final Fantasy games on the DS, from best to worst?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

I also remember there being an optional boss run if you're after 100% completion that are just utterly impossible to beat, so beware of that.
I was curious about this, so I looked it up - apparently, if you do 100% of everything else, the final boss gets levelled to 99? What a goddamn mechanic.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Revenant Wings is a game I can hardly remember playing, so I think that means the story isn't particularly stupid, nor was it remarkable. I think SSNeoman is right in saying it does a good job developing Vaan and Penelo. I also remember there being an optional boss run if you're after 100% completion that are just utterly impossible to beat, so beware of that.

Wonder if anyone has an opinion of Final Fantasy games on the DS, from best to worst?

Dragon Quest IX
FF: 4 Heroes of Light
Revenant Wings
Crystal Chronicles (I only played one of these, Google tells me there's two, assume they're similar)
FFIV
FFIII

Boy, that was a little painful. FF3 is one of my favorites in the series, but its DS port is unredeemable. At least IV gave you augments to help with the added difficulty.

Your best bet for a FF fix on the DS is to pop V or VI in the GBA slot, or just play Dragon Quest IX. It scratches a very similar itch, and oozes charm.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift
Dragon Quest IX
FF: 4 Heroes of Light
Revenant Wings
Crystal Chronicles (I only played one of these, Google tells me there's two, assume they're similar)
FFIV
FFIII

Boy, that was a little painful. FF3 is one of my favorites in the series, but its DS port is unredeemable. At least IV gave you augments to help with the added difficulty.

Your best bet for a FF fix on the DS is to pop V or VI in the GBA slot, or just play Dragon Quest IX. It scratches a very similar itch, and oozes charm.

Fixed your post a little. Now it's accurate. :colbert:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I like that list, and want to stress that 4 Heroes of Light really is good. It's nothing special, unlike DQ9, but it's got charm and has a serviceable if cliche story and doesn't put a lot of crap between you and boss fights.

(although I'd have DQ9 > FFTA > 4HoL)

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
I played FFTA2 for dozens of hours, how the hell did I miss it? Thanks for reminding me, put it just under DQIX. Maybe if I finished it that would change?

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

The only Final Fantasy I've played on the DS is 3, so I can't speak for the rest of them.

Of the games I do have, FFTA2, the Dragon Quest remakes (4, 5, 6), DQ9 and Chrono Trigger are all pretty good.

boz
Oct 16, 2005
I must have been lucky with III DS since I beat the last dungeon first try without too many problems.

Or maybe it was the 3 shifts I spent in the satellite trailer in Iraq doing nothing but grinding beforehand...

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I couldn't finish 4 Heroes. The later bosses were complete bullshit. Perhaps you had to beat them in a certain order but the game doesn't give you any indication of this.
The only part of the story I remember is that Yunita is either ignored or bullied by everyone else in the party. They outright abandon her at least twice. I felt pretty sorry for her!

EDIT: Googled the character and found this on the first page of GIS

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Aug 12, 2013

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I was looking at tri-Ace's wiki pag and they apparently worked on XIII-2. Well, a lot of their staff did at least.
Anyway, do we actually get to explore and appreciate the world this time around? I might give the game a try if that is the case. And I'd assume the battle system is more fun as well.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Aug 12, 2013

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

NikkolasKing posted:

So I was looking at tri-Ace's wiki pag and they apparently worked on XIII-2. Well, a lot of their staff did at least.
Anyway, do we actually get to explore and appreciate the world this time around? I might give the game a try if that is the case. And I'd assume the battle system is more fun as well.

Not really. You still visit more or less the same zones (and some new ones) but in a non-linear fashion, so you aren't really forced to go to one place or another aside from literal brick walls where your party just isn't strong enough. People will argue that the lowered difficulty makes XIII-2's gameplay terrible, but I totally disagree and the improvements to the battle system make it really engaging.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

The monster customization system alone makes 13-2 light years better than 13.
Just do your best to not pay any attention to the story. The world would be a better place if Toriyama never touched time travel ever again.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

SSNeoman posted:

Just do your best to not pay any attention to the story. The world would be a better place if Toriyama never touched time travel ever again.

Don't listen to this guy, the story is a laugh riot from beginning to end.

Edit: The monster thing is pretty true, though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SSNeoman posted:

I can't even agree with that considering Tales of Xillia came out before FFXIII-2 and has an infinitely better customization system without making GBS threads all over the combat system. Even if you just want an RPG about putting funny hats on your characters FFXIII-2 is shittier about it.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Monster customization in terms of giving Sazh the double frocobo or giving silly names to things was great and I don't know if Tales of Xillia can beat that. The monster stat and ability customization was tedious, unclear, grindy bullshit that I really could have done without. I'm generally biased against "Raise your own monster!" mechanics in games though, unless it's the entire point of the game. The other changes to the combat system were generally great improvements, but I did not care for the monster party member at all. The lack of any attention to ensuring that there was a good challenge curve is definitely a major flaw, though.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Aug 12, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chumbler posted:

Monster customization in terms of giving Sazh the double frocobo or giving silly names to things was great and I don't know if Tales of Xillia can beat that.

It can and does. They show up in cutscenes and everything. You can completely customize all of your party members with multiple items that you can resize, position anywhere, recolor, and whatever you want. It makes FFXIII-2's customization look like a pile of crap.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Aug 12, 2013

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I admit defeat. Sadly I do not have a ps3.

vvvv 13-2 is worth playing because it has hands down the best ending in the entire series because exactly what you've spent the entire game wishing would happen happens.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Aug 12, 2013

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

XIII-2 is £16 on PSN at the second. I wasn't a huge fan of FFXIII but if this game has at least 15 hours of fun gameplay i'd happily go for it. If anyone can sell it to me in a paragraph or whatever i'll pick it up.

I like most of the FF games and have been itching for a new RPG but what I remember of the demo was really underwhelming.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Thievery posted:

XIII-2 is £16 on PSN at the second. I wasn't a huge fan of FFXIII but if this game has at least 15 hours of fun gameplay i'd happily go for it. If anyone can sell it to me in a paragraph or whatever i'll pick it up.

I like most of the FF games and have been itching for a new RPG but what I remember of the demo was really underwhelming.

It is like Final Fantasy XIII but less linear, with worse combat, and with a monster raising mechanics. If that sounds appealing to you go for it. Otherwise I'd say no.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Thievery posted:

Better, more eclectic music; addictive monster raising and customization system; gameplay tweaks to general battle system; nonlinear gameplay; some amazing minigames (Chronobind).

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Thievery posted:

All the characters you will hate by the end have horrible fates awaiting them at the end, so you'll have your revenge eventually.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

I can probably pass on it in that case. I've got a few days free and was looking for basically anything to occupy them but I guess it won't be this.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

chumbler posted:

Monster customization in terms of giving Sazh the double frocobo or giving silly names to things was great and I don't know if Tales of Xillia can beat that. The monster stat and ability customization was tedious, unclear, grindy bullshit that I really could have done without. I'm generally biased against "Raise your own monster!" mechanics in games though, unless it's the entire point of the game. The other changes to the combat system were generally great improvements, but I did not care for the monster party member at all. The lack of any attention to ensuring that there was a good challenge curve is definitely a major flaw, though.

Exactly, there's no reason for the tedious monster raising and customisation if they don't even influence the gameplay outside of battle, or show up in cutscenes, and the game is easy enough that it's not even necessary.

The game's terribly easy until the final boss, and then there's another huge difficulty spike when you want to take on the DLC bosses. They needed to do something to replace the horrible random encounter system too, since even if you're at an incredibly high level, enemies keep getting in your way. Maybe a system like Breath of Death VII where every area has a fixed number of random encounters, so you can either run through and not have to fight the full amount, or explore freely once all of them have been defeated. This could also let them make the encounters more difficult, since there would be an actual sense of progression, instead of an infinite wave.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?
I almost never had a problem running from an encounter I didn't want to participate in.

ImpAtom posted:

It is like Final Fantasy XIII but less linear, with worse combat, and with a monster raising mechanics. If that sounds appealing to you go for it. Otherwise I'd say no.

I still don't get how you say worse combat. You're not locked into essentially what was a crappy tutorial mode for hours like XIII and paradigms are far more customizable.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Winks posted:

I still don't get how you say worse combat. You're not locked into essentially what was a crappy tutorial mode for hours like XIII and paradigms are far more customizable.

And the most important thing: paradigm switching is faster. That alone makes it so much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
At least you'd get 15 hours of actual gameplay out of it instead of 15 hours of boring, linear tutorial crap.

And the combat is worse? Really?

E: Thoroughly beaten. :argh: