Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Walliard posted:

Catholic and Orthodox both get +1 tolerance of the true faith and the other Christians do not.

What does this mean, that they're more tolerant of themselves? If lack of tolerance translates into higher revolt risk, does this mean they have lower revolt risk? But if the province and the ruler are of the same religion, there wouldn't be any reason for religious revolt in the first place...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azzanadra
Jun 18, 2008

The Light is the power of Dance

So I've been attempting to play the demo and I can't seem to click and drag my mouse cursor. If I so much as click while my mouse is moving the game freezes for a bit and I cannot move the map or change the zoom until I enter and leave the main menu. Is this just a demo bug?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

What does this mean, that they're more tolerant of themselves? If lack of tolerance translates into higher revolt risk, does this mean they have lower revolt risk? But if the province and the ruler are of the same religion, there wouldn't be any reason for religious revolt in the first place...

Yeah, it's just an additional -1 revolt risk for all provinces of the true faith. It's poorly named.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Azzanadra posted:

So I've been attempting to play the demo and I can't seem to click and drag my mouse cursor. If I so much as click while my mouse is moving the game freezes for a bit and I cannot move the map or change the zoom until I enter and leave the main menu. Is this just a demo bug?

I've been having the same problem, but I've seen a report of it on the official forums so hopefully it'll get fixed.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
My alt-tabbed PLC game crashed overnight. :eng99:

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

This exact same thing happened in EU3 as well. Swahili got lots of monthly income from its gold mines, very quickly ran out of things to spend it on, and accrued massive treasuries ripe for the taking. Players often kept Swahili alive just to declare war on them every 5 years for another free 5000 ducats (or whatever the max amount of money you could demand was). Glad to see that same tradition will carry on in EU4.
This is a decent enough explanation of the historical relationship between Oman's colony on Zanzibar and the Swahili, except replace gold with slaves. The Swahili culture as it's known today is largely a reaction to the spread of Zanzibari culture.

LordPants posted:

Is there a situation where you wouldn't want to colonize as soon as possible?

edit: this is just as doing the demo as portugal, where obviously it makes sense. But if you were someone else what's to stop you getting access to portugal's ports and taking over the new world?
Don't go for lovely provinces, which is anything under 4. Get fleet access from Portugal and bootstrap your way to Virginia and Cuba and South Africa ASAP. I think fleet access extending colonization range might be the first thing to be nerfed in a patch. It's so loving broken so long as Portugal exists. Then again, it might be interesting to see if the AI knows how to exploit it. Ragusa riding to the New World on Portugal's back and all.

Guildencrantz posted:

Plus, fleet access doesn't extend colonization range.
It does, actually. I couldn't believe it, but I got basing rights from Portugal and I could suddenly reach Africa. My closest actual port was in loving Warmia.

Guildencrantz posted:

Oh man, the PLC can't be turned into a Noble Republic :( And neither that nor traditional monarchy really reflects the elective weirdness that went on at the time. This is, of course, stereotypical Eastern European nationalism on my part, but I'm already digging around to see if some unique form of government can be modded in. The Dutch get one, after all!
I got an uprising that would have turned Poland into a noble republic before forming the Commonwealth. Maybe you have to let them win?

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

I started colonizing Taiwan as Portugal before the demo ended by exploring east and getting fleet basing rights from one of the SEA countries. It wasn't even hard.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

Don't go for lovely provinces, which is anything under 4. Get fleet access from Portugal and bootstrap your way to Virginia and Cuba and South Africa ASAP. I think fleet access extending colonization range might be the first thing to be nerfed in a patch. It's so loving broken so long as Portugal exists. Then again, it might be interesting to see if the AI knows how to exploit it. Ragusa riding to the New World on Portugal's back and all.

It does, actually. I couldn't believe it, but I got basing rights from Portugal and I could suddenly reach Africa. My closest actual port was in loving Warmia.

Okay, wow, I was wrong. That's pretty dumb and definitely needs to be nerfed. Why the gently caress would you be able to launch a colonial effort out of somebody else's port? It pretty much negates the entire point of colonial range.

The AI probably can't exploit it, so I'll definitely avoid using it until it's removed.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

Guildencrantz posted:

Okay, wow, I was wrong. That's pretty dumb and definitely needs to be nerfed. Why the gently caress would you be able to launch a colonial effort out of somebody else's port? It pretty much negates the entire point of colonial range.

The AI probably can't exploit it, so I'll definitely avoid using it until it's removed.

It's supposed to be balanced by you paying a small fee for basing rights, multiplied by how many coastal provinces the rights-giver has, but that doesn't make up for the silliness of getting naval access from the Maya to colonise the Americas. Of course, now you can conquer native provinces and core them in no time flat and colonise from there, I guess you don't need to bother.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
I think in Quill18's England video, he tried to get fleet basing rights from Norway to extend his colonization range, but it didn't work. I wonder why they changed that?

Of course, he might've just accidentally gotten normal military access or something instead, because, you know, Quill18.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Friend Commuter posted:

It's supposed to be balanced by you paying a small fee for basing rights, multiplied by how many coastal provinces the rights-giver has, but that doesn't make up for the silliness of getting naval access from the Maya to colonise the Americas. Of course, now you can conquer native provinces and core them in no time flat and colonise from there, I guess you don't need to bother.

Maybe if it was just Vassals or Allies it would make more sense. I can see the reasoning, maybe to give non-Atlantic powers colonies without having to arbitrarily conquer Gibraltar or Morocco.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Is there a way to get your vassals to help you in a war in EUIV? It says I can't ally them because they're subject nations, and I can't find the Call to Arms button anywhere.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Vassals automatically join any war you are in. You cant call them to arms because they don't have the option of saying no.

straw man
Jan 5, 2011

"You're a bigger liar than I am."
Anybody want my extra copy of Crusader Kings II?

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

In non-EUIV stuff. Does the encourage _ Industry national focus do anything? Like, at all? I'm really bad at National Focuses and never know what to do with them.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Yeah it does exactly what it says. It'll get capitalists to focus more on making those kinds of factories if they can afford it.

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

straw man posted:

Anybody want my extra copy of Crusader Kings II?

I would love to have that if you don't mind. I've only had a chance to try it for a little bit and was unconvinced but I'd like to give it a more thorough try since I really enjoyed ck1.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/joshlemagne/

Edit: Thanks a lot straw man! May you never have to assassinate any incompetent heirs :cheers:

Joshlemagne fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Aug 11, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

PrinceRandom posted:

In non-EUIV stuff. Does the encourage _ Industry national focus do anything? Like, at all? I'm really bad at National Focuses and never know what to do with them.

In Victoria 2? Use your NFs early on to get your Bureaucrats to 4% in each state to raise your administrative efficiency (increase pop promotion rate and reduces goods needs among other things). After that, raise your Clergymen to 2% to maximize your RPs (4% if you need more literacy). Then after that, I generally just promote Clerks at my industrialized states until they make up 20% of the workforce. Beyond that, if I can't use my NFs for colonization then I don't really know what else is best to do with them.

Edit: I suppose it may be better to promote clergy before bureaucrats just to get the RP increase asap, just because getting to top bureaucrat efficiency might take a while.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Aug 11, 2013

Orv
May 4, 2011

Joshlemagne posted:

Edit: Thanks a lot straw man! May you never have to assassinate any incompetent heirs :cheers:

poo poo man that's nearly as bad as "It can't get any worse".

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

In Victoria 2? Use your NFs early on to get your Bureaucrats to 4% in each state to raise your administrative efficiency (increase pop promotion rate and reduces goods needs among other things). After that, raise your Clergymen to 2% to maximize your RPs (4% if you need more literacy). Then after that, I generally just promote Clerks at my industrialized states until they make up 20% of the workforce. Beyond that, if I can't use my NFs for colonization then I don't really know what else is best to do with them.

Edit: I suppose it may be better to promote clergy before bureaucrats just to get the RP increase asap, just because getting to top bureaucrat efficiency might take a while.

I'm fond of using them to promote craftsmen & clerks in the mid-late game (you can set focuses from the production screen, which is helpful). Promoting soldiers in your more populous provinces (up to 4-5%, unless you're China) is also pretty useful.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Westminster System posted:

Where-as staying catholic basically gives you nothing worthwhile. Except the Curia, I guess.

Which eventually becomes useless anyway, going from EU3.

Catholics effectively get a diplomacy bonus with a number of large countries. The only large country you can count on going protestant is Sweden and theyre the worst ally you can imagine and will drag you into the awful Russian and naval wars while also being unreliable in performance.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.
Do we seriously not have a dedicated EU4 thread yet? I'm pretty sure we are going to need one.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yes, only because all the Vicky 2 chat, and all the East-West hilarity is going to get lost in a sea of "this game is amazing"*

* I hope.

Also, pre-ordered. Take my money Paradox, take it.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

A separate EU4 thread might be nice but I suspect eventually we'll just move back here anyways. I hope it's really successful but I don't really foresee it being as big as CK2 is.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Yeah, I'm not sure about breaking off an EU4 topic if only because that leaves this thread kind of adrift other than "Have you heard the latest about East vs West? You're not going to believe this one, guys..."

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
We could always talk about Victoria. I love me some victoria.

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008
This thread will survive, the same way it survived before EU4 started dominating everything.

Also: 4% bureaucrats? That seems incredibly excessive, even beyond what is possible now that they've set limits on how many pops you can focus into a profession, iirc.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Epinephrine posted:

This thread will survive, the same way it survived before EU4 started dominating everything.

Also: 4% bureaucrats? That seems incredibly excessive, even beyond what is possible now that they've set limits on how many pops you can focus into a profession, iirc.

I think 4% is the highest number you'll ever need, but only after you've passed a bunch of social reforms. Earlier on, it'll be closer to 2%.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
1% bureaucrats maxes out admin efficiency for me :pwn:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I forgot the number, I thought it was 4 for some reason but maybe it's not.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
1% Bureaucrats will do the trick if you have 0 social reforms. Once you get the whole slate, you will, indeed, need 3-4% Bureaucrats.

DaiJiaTeng
Oct 26, 2010
Hey all,

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place.

I pre-ordered EU4 on steam and it said I would receive a free copy of CK2. I am not seeing either game on my games list, and though steam says I purchased EU4 ,it says I haven't purchased CK2 yet. I'm confused on how this system works, I've searched but haven't found an answer on steam, wondering if anyone else has had this problem.

Thanks!

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I'm pro-EU4 thread, especially if someone's willing to maintain the OP post-release, consolidating all the important tips we figure out/questions that get asked every page in one place. Plus mod links, DLC info, I think there's plenty to justify it. I'm about to preorder but this thread's going to be close to unreadable for anyone who hasn't for a month or so, and that's a shame.

Marathoned half a V2 game today as Persia. Still not a GP; probably was too slow on Westernizing and improving literacy, but industrialization has gone pretty well. Made friends with the UK and Russians, mostly avoided the Ottomans after a dumb mistake cost me an early containment war. Just stole Sinai from Egypt, who somehow wasn't allied or sphered yet -- they had a few friendly GPs but I'm well-liked and they were all involved in a proto-Great War so nobody bothered to help. I assume someone will take an interest in that soon though, which is OK since this has been a pretty uneventful game so far.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

DaiJiaTeng posted:

Hey all,

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place.

I pre-ordered EU4 on steam and it said I would receive a free copy of CK2. I am not seeing either game on my games list, and though steam says I purchased EU4 ,it says I haven't purchased CK2 yet. I'm confused on how this system works, I've searched but haven't found an answer on steam, wondering if anyone else has had this problem.

Thanks!
Hover over your username and click "Inventory" in the menu that pops up. It should be under Gifts, where you can select it and choose "Add to my game library".

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

A Violence Gang posted:

I'm pro-EU4 thread, especially if someone's willing to maintain the OP post-release, consolidating all the important tips we figure out/questions that get asked every page in one place. Plus mod links, DLC info, I think there's plenty to justify it. I'm about to preorder but this thread's going to be close to unreadable for anyone who hasn't for a month or so, and that's a shame.

Yeah, I think there should be a EU4 thread as long as someone else does all the work.

DaiJiaTeng
Oct 26, 2010

Walliard posted:

Hover over your username and click "Inventory" in the menu that pops up. It should be under Gifts, where you can select it and choose "Add to my game library".

Thanks for the reply.

I am actually an idiot. I didn't notice steam was offline, which caused my game list to not update.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I'll do it if someone else makes the banners. :v:

(No seriously, someone make EU4 banners I'm poo poo at that, and I'll do it.)

Orv fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Aug 11, 2013

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Anyone ever have trouble with filthy bureaucrats drowning out the other PoPs at later dates? I need to keep funding up so crime doesn't go through the roof, but I end up with millions more bureaucrats than I need, getting fat off of tax dollars and living the high life.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

DaiJiaTeng posted:

Thanks for the reply.

I am actually an idiot. I didn't notice steam was offline, which caused my game list to not update.

Don't feel bad, it took me a few minutes to remember mine was in offline mode when I couldn't download the demo. :v:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Patter Song posted:

1% Bureaucrats will do the trick if you have 0 social reforms. Once you get the whole slate, you will, indeed, need 3-4% Bureaucrats.

To be precise, its 1.0% Bureaucrats nationally with no social reforms, and 0.2% more Bureaucrats per social reform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

Anybody happen to know what the end date for EU4 is?

• Locked thread