Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Devil Tesla posted:

i'm so happy that this guide to important Sailor Moon episodes was posted in the SM thread. It makes getting through the series much less daunting, while still being really fun to watch and showing why it's such a classic.
Yeah, but that's still at least 100 episodes, and most of the episodes in red aren't really skippable if you want things to make much sense. It makes things less daunting, but 100 episodes is still a crapton. I have friends who think 50 episode series are way too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Alright, whittled down my list of things to ask about and since it's been a few pages, lemme post the revised list:

I'd like to know which of these are worth reading and if they're horrible, really great, middling, ultrageneric, status quo hells, big fat bummers or super-happy-carefree-nothing-bad-happens-ever funfests, if they run into filler problems/hiatuses(the reason I haven't read Berserk yet), etc.

Love So Life
Kaichou wa Maid-Sama

A bunch of these are multi-hundred-chapter epics it seems, so I'd rather get some ideas on if they're worth it before diving in.

Sorted things

Stuff I'll give a shot to:
Claymore
The World God Only Knows
Yankee Kun and Megane Chan(what an awkward title)
Deadman Wonderland
Pokemon Adventures
Baby Steps

Thrown into a fire:
Sword Art Online
Kimi no Iru Machi
Nyotai Ka
Denpa Kyoushi
NiseKoi
Hetakoi
Velvet Game

Probably pass on:
Liar Game
Dengeki Daisy

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Aug 11, 2013

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006
Never read Nisekoi.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
That's a pretty abrupt rebuking! Is it really that terrible, it looks like a goofy premise leading to wacky hijinks. Status quo hell, or what?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Nisekoi is a pretty generic harem romcom. Whether it's readable or not depends on your tolerance of harem hyjinx.

I would say skip Velvet Kiss since it's probably only popular just because it's kinda smutty. Hetakoi for the same reasoning as well, as well as combined with infuriating romance cliches.

Tarodia
Jan 13, 2008

Winners don't do drugs
Nisekoi's just really boring

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Gotcha.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Still not sure how I feel about Dengeki Daisy personally. Been reading it myself off and on out of curiosity just because it had oddly high ratings on the usual manga list sites. It feels pretty standard shoujo to me honestly, especially after marathoning through both Taiyou no Ie and Kimi no Todoke which were substantially more heartwarming than the 29 chapters of Dengeki Daisy I've been through so far. The fact that the heroine doesn't feel like she has much agency in anything, with most things being resolved with her being saved by her love interest probably doesn't help my opinion. Yet it somehow has a high rating so there's something there people like about it apparently. Also it's a romance between an older dude and a high school girl, where characters often tease him by calling him a pedo, so yeah.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

Yeah, but that's still at least 100 episodes, and most of the episodes in red aren't really skippable if you want things to make much sense. It makes things less daunting, but 100 episodes is still a crapton. I have friends who think 50 episode series are way too long.

Even getting through the first season of sailor moon is satisfying, imho.

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind
Well, recently I've been looking for something like Bodacious Space Pirates or the early parts of Gatchaman Crowds (which, by the way, is a thing you should watch) - a show that's colourful, dynamic and relentlessly brimming with positive energy. One of those "feel good" kind of shows that doesn't feel too low-key or slice-of-life-esque (though I'd be willing to try something like that, too). Bonus points for female protagonist. Are there some shows like that you'd recommend?

And on an unrelated note: Rose of Versailles. Is the manga or anime better? If they're on the same level I'd probably default to the latter because ~moving pictures~, but I want to be sure nothing got lost during adaptation.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Terry van Feleday posted:

Well, recently I've been looking for something like Bodacious Space Pirates or the early parts of Gatchaman Crowds (which, by the way, is a thing you should watch) - a show that's colourful, dynamic and relentlessly brimming with positive energy. One of those "feel good" kind of shows that doesn't feel too low-key or slice-of-life-esque (though I'd be willing to try something like that, too). Bonus points for female protagonist. Are there some shows like that you'd recommend?

No female protagonist, but if you missed Tsuritama when it aired last year it's pretty much exactly what you're looking for. It also has the same director and some other staff as Gatchaman Crowds.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Tsuritama if you haven't seen it yet. e: ^^^^see!vvvv

It's not science fiction and is kind of slice of life-y, but Hyouka is a whole lot of fun. The production values are through the roof and the cast is lively and engaging.

You might possibly give Rinne no Lagrange a glance, it's not even close to being as good as Bodacious Space Pirates or the things I suggested, but it is pretty positive with a mostly female cast. It also has problems with fanservice and a boring second season.

Miles Vorkosigan
Mar 21, 2007

The stuff that dreams are made of.
You should watch Tsuritama. It was directed by the same guy who's doing Gatchaman Crowds, it's incredibly colorful and it's probably the most energetic a fishing anime can get.

As for Rose of Versailles, I haven't read the manga, but the anime was excellent. I'd be very impressed if the manga was clearly better.

e: and really, the anime is worth it for the amazing reaction shots.

Miles Vorkosigan fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Aug 11, 2013

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

OxeHunden posted:

And on the side, I've got a 4,5 year old (he made me put the ,5 in) who also wants something to watch with me but it can't include any or very little violence cause I'm not gonna be up all night cause of bad dreams. It can have some story but not too difficult to follow or he'll lose interest. We tried Pokemon but he didn't really go for it and hamtaro wasn't much good either. I'm pretty sick and tired of dora the explorer so please help me out.

This is from a while back, but he (and you) might like Shinryaku! Ika Musume / Squid Girl I think Netflix has the dub available for streaming.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

That's a pretty abrupt rebuking! Is it really that terrible, it looks like a goofy premise leading to wacky hijinks. Status quo hell, or what?

Depends on your stance on tsunderes(everyone is tsundere). I just hate it more than usual because it's made by the Double Arts guy. By the way, I think Baby Steps is a good read, it's basically the opposite from Prince of Tennis.

OxeHunden
Jan 10, 2008

Norwegian Uber Goon Connoisseur

Robert Denby posted:

Tsuritama has very mild cartoonish violence, zero sexual content, and language that never goes above 'drat' and 'hell'. Not really anything scary either if I recall, though there are a few sad scenes about the main character's sickly grandmother. I think it'd be hard for a kid that young to follow the plot, nonsensical as it is, but the visuals and music would probably keep him entertained.

Some of Makato Shinkai's work would be fine to have on. "The Place Promised in Our Early Days" has two violent scenes, however, they don't dwell on injury or gore and are pretty discreetly done.

Throwing out the required Ghibli stuff: "My Neighbor Totoro", "Kiki's Delivery Service", "Howl's Moving Castle", "The Secret World of Arrietty", et al.

Wait til the kid is a little older for "Nausicaa", "Castle in the Sky", "Porco Rosso", and especially "Spirited Away" and "Princess Mononoke" as those have a lot of frightening, often violent scenes.

Hey, thanks for the suggestions, I will look into the ones we haven't tried yet. I should have specified that we've watched some ghibli like totoro and the cat prince. I've been waiting with the rest because they are PG and I'd like him to be 6 or so before watching the rest. You did remind me of Ponyo which he might like cause its so weird and colorful.

ViggyNash posted:

Get on that right now..

I will try it this week :)

AnacondaHL posted:

Watch One Piece with your kid? Sometimes the answer does not have to be complex.

As for recommendations, I find it odd that you, or anyone ever, would even give BTOOOM a chance, it's really throwing a curveball in what to recommend, especially if you are looking for action with minimal fanservice :psyduck:

Watch the second episode of Mushishi. It should clearly define if you want to watch the rest immediately or keep it on your backlog.

Sports: How about Hajime no Ippo? Boxing or not it's a good show with plenty of episodes.

I should have specified why I didn't want fan service and yet watched btooom. I watch anime while riding the bus to work and the stuff I allow myself to watch in public can be gory but I don't want people watching me watch rape scenes and tits bouncing. I watch stuff like Btooom at lunch and mainly because I try to keep up with anything that's new to manga which we sell a lot of at work. My coworkers are all nerds and don't care. To give an example, people read "the boys" while lunching. Commuting I watch about 3 episodes a day and 1 during lunch which is why I keep coming back to this thread for advice on what to watch.

I will definitely watch one piece with him but it will be when he's older and I'm sure he can follow that long a story as well as the violence. He's still just 4,5 yo and one piece and naruto etc are teen shows.

Will give mushi-shi another chance when done with steins gate. Hajime no ippo I've watched the first 50-60 episodes of but fell off when they changed the animation style.

Chas McGill posted:

Have any of you actually met/been a 5 year old? Haibane Renmei? Most adults don't have the patience for that.

The obvious thing is Avatar: the Last Airbender and even that might be a bit too complex. I don't have any actual anime recommendations since 99% of what I watch is 'seinen', or at least, I think it is.

Avatar looks and sounds cool, I will watch a few episodes to see but googling it was recommended for 8-9 yo. I'll give it a watch and see for myself tho.

Redcrimson posted:

Princess Tutu is a great kid's show specifically because it doesn't talk down to it's audience or sugarcoat it's story. Though I'm not sure it wouldn't be too girly for a boy to sit through.

Alternatively, some light comedies like Azumanga Daioh or Squid Girl might be good.

Azumanga might be short, fast and weird enough, I'll give it a try :) haven't heard of squid girl or princess tutu, will get the first few episodes and see.

Lastly, tl;dr thanks for a lot of good recommendations, I will check most, if not all of them out.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

cisneros posted:

Depends on your stance on tsunderes(everyone is tsundere). I just hate it more than usual because it's made by the Double Arts guy. By the way, I think Baby Steps is a good read, it's basically the opposite from Prince of Tennis.

Never seen Prince of Tennis except the racks of it taking up space back when Borders still existed, but I'll take your word for it being good.

All that's left is Love So Life and Kaichou wa Maid-Sama. I've heard a couple people say Maid-Sama is better than it has any right to be, but those are fairly distant reports, so I wanted to ask here first.

And on an unrelated note: Rose of Versailles. Is the manga or anime better? If they're on the same level I'd probably default to the latter because ~moving pictures~, but I want to be sure nothing got lost during adaptation.
Speaking of manga-versus-anime adaptations, is the Kimi Ni Todoke anime version better or worse than the manga version? I've been recommended it a fair number of times, and I've seen plenty of gifs of it in the past that I've found amusing, but if it's, like, a Sasameki Koto or Wandering Son situation where the anime either changes things or ends way too early in the series, I'd probably just read the manga instead.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I literally flip-flop on whether I love Kimi ni Todoke's anime or manga more. Unlike most recent shoujo anime this one actually gets to a reasonable stopping point in the story, and the manga is still going strong even past that point. They're both really well done: the anime has some great production values and if I was forced to decide which way would be the best way to experience the story first I would (just barely) go with the animated version.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Alright, anime first, then continue on with the manga then?

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I liked the look of the Kimi ni Todoke anime, but it has the worst case of the side characters being a billion times more interesting than the protagonist. The main romance is utterly anodyne, bloodless, sexless, bland, and witless. It's like something an idealistic and shy ten year old might have written. That said, the side characters and plots are entertaining and act more like real people. They kept me going through the first season, at least.

Seanightjar
Apr 1, 2011

Looking for something similar to Mushi-shi in the story per episode and interesting setting way.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Master Keaton.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

Seanightjar posted:

Looking for something similar to Mushi-shi in the story per episode and interesting setting way.

Kino's Journey

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Seanightjar posted:

Definitely try Kino's Journey

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Seanightjar posted:

xxxHolic has a similar pattern of supernatural stories, though it is set in the modern day. It's probably best to ignore anything after the second season since it draws more on the last third of the manga, which is... convoluted to say the least.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V
So Attack on Titan convinced me to snag a crunchyroll subscription and now I need a couple more shows to get my money's worth. More actiony/sci-fi stuff is great. I like Lovecraftian creepiness too as well as steampunk/victorian/sherlockian shenanigans as well.

Basically anything well written that is more horror than harem would be right up my alley. Well-written as far as plot and pacing at least. The dialog is going to be destroyed by cheap translations anyway.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Mr. Belding posted:

So Attack on Titan convinced me to snag a crunchyroll subscription and now I need a couple more shows to get my money's worth. More actiony/sci-fi stuff is great. I like Lovecraftian creepiness too as well as steampunk/victorian/sherlockian shenanigans as well.

Basically anything well written that is more horror than harem would be right up my alley. Well-written as far as plot and pacing at least. The dialog is going to be destroyed by cheap translations anyway.

Fate/Zero and From the New World (Shin Sekai Yori).

a kitten fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Aug 12, 2013

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

Mr. Belding posted:

Madoka Magica, Fate/Zero and Gankutsuou

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Mr. Belding posted:

You really don't know what low-quality translations are if you think Crunchyroll's even approach that.

That said, there's a show that is also currently airing called The Eccentric Family that is absolutely not harem, not very actiony(though the second episode has some pretty amazing/unexpected action happen), but incredibly vivid and engrossing. It's modern day Japan that also has a lot of the Japanese mythical creatures such as Tengu and Tanuki living in it, and follows a young Tanuki named Yasaboro as he does stuff and gets into trouble. The backgrounds and setting is absolutely gorgeous, though the characters themselves look kinda weird(those ears and noses!), it's a very intriguing series. It's up to episode six now, and things are getting pretty dramatic.

It's also based on a novel by the maker of The Tatami Galaxy, which I haven't seen but have heard nothing but rave reviews of.

edit: not a whole lot of Youtube clips of it apparently, but this video showcases some examples of the animation style and backgrounds, just mute the music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQVmxWnqa5c&hd=1

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Aug 12, 2013

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

Captain Invictus posted:

You really don't know what low-quality translations are if you think Crunchyroll's even approach that.

I'm not trying to be particularly hateful but there are at least one or two cringe-worthy lines in every episode of Attack on Titan. Generally it's just that the dialog isn't pithy. Real people use inefficient or clumsy language, but characters in shows and books generally don't except for humorous effect or to reveal a character flaw.

Thanks for the suggestions, though.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Mr. Belding posted:

From the New World is a must. As long as you get to episode 4, When They Cry is great.

coathat
May 21, 2007

They are both great but I'd say that the manga is better than the anime. You should really check out both versions.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Seanightjar posted:

Natsume Yuujincho. Its about a kid who finds his mom's Book of Friends which contains the names of a ridiculous number of spirits which allows him total control over them. Being the chill dude he is, he goes around returning them to their respective owners and a lot of Mushishi-esque drama ensues. It very much captures the beautiful melancholy of Mushishi while being much more lighthearted about it.

Mr. Belding posted:

I think the best choices have already been said. Somehow, Time of EVE was not. This is one of the best shows I have ever watched and has a solid place on my top 10 favorites list. There's no action at all, but it features a cyberpunk setting that rivals Ghost in the Shell. Actually, it is very much a more distilled version of GitS that foregoes the action in favor of a truly fascinating discussion.

Also Gurren Lagaan got added recently, so check that out if you somehow haven't.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Aug 12, 2013

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Chas McGill posted:

I liked the look of the Kimi ni Todoke anime, but it has the worst case of the side characters being a billion times more interesting than the protagonist. The main romance is utterly anodyne, bloodless, sexless, bland, and witless. It's like something an idealistic and shy ten year old might have written. That said, the side characters and plots are entertaining and act more like real people. They kept me going through the first season, at least.

This is what I'm getting seven episodes in, pretty much to the letter, the side characters are fantastic and the two mains are...not really. Though to be fair, the main character has the mental faculties of an idealistic and shy ten-year-old, so maybe she wrote it all herself!

The animation is oftentimes extremely crude and low-detail, yet somehow that adds to the charm in spades. There's so many giffable moments, too. I actually prefer it in the stylized way rather than the generic ~BESM flowery animeface~ style. Though it's a god drat hoot every time a cloud of flowers erupts around a character's close up face, that's a cliche I always get a laugh from because it's just so god drat silly.

edit: holy crap the amount of slow pans as hair blows in the wind, even inside. gently caress. I bet you'd remove half a dozen episodes if you cut all those scenes out.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Aug 12, 2013

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Mr. Belding posted:

Fate/Zero, and Madoka Magica are good picks.

Level E is comedy Sci-Fi, not action Sci-Fi. But it's a very good show that a lot of people overlooked in 2011.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

ViggyNash posted:

I think the best choices have already been said. Somehow, Time of EVE was not. This is one of the best shows I have ever watched and has a solid place on my top 10 favorites list. There's no action at all, but it features a cyberpunk setting that rivals Ghost in the Shell. Actually, it is very much a more distilled version of GitS that foregoes the action in favor of a truly fascinating discussion.

Time of Eve is not cyberpunk. There is no punk. Its a very good show that is inspired by the works of Isaac Asimov, but it is not cyberpunk and to call it that is very misleading. I still highly recommend it though.

Seanightjar
Apr 1, 2011

Started Kino's Journey and I really like it! Thanks for the recommendation.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Time of Eve is not cyberpunk. There is no punk. Its a very good show that is inspired by the works of Isaac Asimov, but it is not cyberpunk and to call it that is very misleading. I still highly recommend it though.

It might not be cyberpunk like Akira or GitS, but it still fundamentally cyberpunk.

From Wiki, on Cyberpunk:

quote:

It features advanced science, such as information technology and cybernetics, coupled with a degree of breakdown or radical change in the social order.

It hits both points, albeit at a much lesser degree.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

It's cyber, but it's not punk. Cyberpunk generally focuses on seedy backalleys and characters who live on the margins of society and all that good poo poo. The word 'cyberpunk' evokes a certain image that Time of Eve is almost the complete opposite of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
In classic cyberpunk there's generally a subversive element or a link to the underworld (criminal or ideological) that can flourish within the margins Endorph mentioned.

I guess the café and its patrons represent a divergence from the norms, but the way the story is told is unlike any cyberpunk I've read.

I definitely associate Time of Eve more with Asimov's robot fiction, which it clearly pays homage to. I actually think it's a better distillation of the themes of humanity and artificial life than the books, although I'll always have a soft spot for the Naked Sun, since it was probably the first S/F book I read.

The idea of networked technology leading to a societal change and a focus on the characters within that change is definitely in line with how a few of, say, William Gibson's books pan out, though.

Now I desperately want someone to do a perfect adaptation of Gibson's Bridge trilogy. Production IG or Madhouse would be perfect for Idoru and All Tomorrow's Parties.

• Locked thread