Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

She also probably feels she owes Kanaya an apology for the drunkenness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Grand Gigas posted:

What even is "That Conversation?" I'm not remembering anything Kanaya and Rose need to talk about?

Alcoholism? That was the most likely candidate, but the context also seems to suggest a tie-back to Rose's apathy.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
It'll be about breaking up, of course. That's the Hussie thing to do.

Stayton
May 20, 2006

A girl who will put you in a full nelson is worth fighting for.

Cat Mattress posted:

It'll be about breaking up, of course. That's the Hussie thing to do.

Yeah, seems Hussie has a rule about romantic relationships. They must occur almost entirely off screen. Meaning that if any character has something in depth to do, they have to be single.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
She's finally going to ask Kanaya about what the deal is with troll boobs, duh. You can't escape The Talk.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
They shoot acid or something.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Conversation about drinking problem: cancelled due to drinking problem. Nice and tidy.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Yeah, you go and kick some clown rear end, Terezi.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

A computerized blindfold? Very interesting.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Justice is back.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
doot doot terezi owns

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Also, we're assuming that the "Gamzee hangs out with Caliborn" stuff happens after this stuff, right? It will make a difference if Terezi can actually do anything to him.

...or if John can gently caress everything up by helping Terezi. Since, you know, if she somehow took him down now, he'd never be there to help Caliborn get started on his rise to Lord English.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

Bobulus posted:

Also, we're assuming that the "Gamzee hangs out with Caliborn" stuff happens after this stuff, right? It will make a difference if Terezi can actually do anything to him.

...or if John can gently caress everything up by helping Terezi. Since, you know, if she somehow took him down now, he'd never be there to help Caliborn get started on his rise to Lord English.

Maybe Terezi isn't going to kill Gamzee, she is just going to ensure he doesn't run around screwing everything up for our heroes. Gamzee's only really did something "bad" in one case, where he killed Nepeta and Equius. Sure, he has mellowed out now and isn't really out right capital E Evil or malicious, but he is still a wild card working(?) for the ultimate big bad.

It could also be that this is part of Terezi's character growth and storyline. Terezi flat out said that Gamzee had a very negative effect on her. This isn't Terezi hunting down Gamzee to stuff his head above her fireplace, it's hunting down Gamzee to say "I'm dumping you because you are a hideous piece of poo poo who has only hurt me."

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Bobulus posted:

I think the general assumption should be that Gamzee takes his meteor trip, raises Caliborn and Calliope, then finds a way to get to the Alpha universe somehow just as Jane enters. It could be that Caliborn helps him time travel to Jane, being a fully realized Lord of Time must have some perks. But I know this is a pretty debated point.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
Double fun update. kanaya gets to have a drinking problem of her own and Terezi gets to properly embrace the image of blind justice. I love it. Simple but cool.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Bongo Bill posted:

Huh, I didn't even think of that. I only thought it was "she's alchemizing that with her glasses to make it red" then "oh, she's alchemizing it with her glasses so she can equip it over her eyes rather than around her neck to make another adventure game joke"

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Icedude posted:

Huh, I didn't even think of that. I only thought it was "she's alchemizing that with her glasses to make it red" then "oh, she's alchemizing it with her glasses so she can equip it over her eyes rather than around her neck to make another adventure game joke"

There's something interesting to be said about the motif of using eyewear to communicate, relevant to sun-as-eye, eye-as-sun imagery, empty dead sockets, Stider sunglasses, Lil Cal eyes, cue ball eyes, and all the rest of that. I think I will try.

A character's glasses indicate how they see the world. I mean, in a literal sense they're obviously corrective lenses which distort incoming light, but I don't just mean literally. We can see a few outstanding cases: Dave's dark sunglasses kept him from seeing unpleasant truths and also concealed his emotions; Sollux saw everything through the context of dichotomies; Dirk's reality was mediated in both directions by a copy of himself; Doc Scratch had no eyes and could see everything completely and objectively. But every character, as soon as they're able, puts messaging capability on their glasses and uses them. The things that people say to them, in other words, have just as much influence on the way they perceive things as literal optical distortions.

Now, Terezi's a Seer, so the way she sees is of particular interest. Of the three Seers we know, she's the only one who has worn glasses (Rose and Kankri do not). And she only wore glasses to indicate her blindness, as prior to her injury she didn't wear any, and afterwards, she "saw" by smelling, so effectively the whole time she was perceiving naturally. But after her eyes were healed, her worldview was quite warped - because she stopped wearing her glasses, which she used to communicate with her friends. She was only influenced by Gamzee, an abusive (apparently?) nemesis, leading to the quite useless state she was in recently. Realizing her error, she's covered her eyes with a blindfold, an obvious metaphor - but more importantly, it's a blindfold that was combined with her old glasses. The blindfold serves a dual purpose; not only does it make her blind, but it also maintains her connection to her friends, as her old glasses used to.

It's not especially deep. I'm not sure what regular glasses mean, though.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Bongo Bill posted:

I'm a bit late on this, but her glasses aren't even computerized. :psyduck:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Sure they are!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Lizard Wizard posted:

I'm a bit late on this, but her glasses aren't even computerized. :psyduck:

Sure they are.

E: your example is better anyway

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.
Am I the only one who noticed that she seems to be stepping out of the panel? :raise:

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Am I the only one who noticed that she seems to be stepping out of the panel? :raise:

There's been a lot of dynamic art since the beginning of Act 6 Act 6, thanks to the expansion cartridge's special features. I like it, even though they way he did it makes the Dialoglog box stretch all the way to the borders of the light gray box and the save/load links are moved over and I hate it padding isn't that hard :mad:

But yeah, dynamic paneling. It's pretty nice here.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

ZZT the Fifth posted:

That's been going on for a bit. The turtle shells, for example.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

Color Printer posted:

There's been a lot of dynamic art since the beginning of Act 6 Act 6, thanks to the expansion cartridge's special features. I like it, even though they way he did it makes the Dialoglog box stretch all the way to the borders of the light gray box and the save/load links are moved over and I hate it padding isn't that hard :mad:

I haven't been getting that. What browser are you using?

Heavy Zed
Mar 23, 2013

Is there anything here I can swing from?
I can see it in Chrome.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Yay! More Leprechaun romance with all the sordid details :getin:

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

There are some rather terrible but vaguely familiar terms being thrown into that glittery block of jumble-text.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010
Along with John showing up again to interfere with himself, it looks like the earlier page was retconned. (It continues for a few pages after that.)

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Man what the gently caress is even happening in this comic.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

So. John appeared and stopped himself from messing with Dave and Jade's argument. So I guess that proceeds as normal? Unless Hussie wants to be a bastard, and some tiny, unintentional change in the event means when Jade pushes the Mayor he actually falls into the lava this time.

The implications of going back in time to stop yourself from going back in time, though... yeeesh, this could go places.

Oh, and I find it a bit bluh that John would stop himself from doing something that - so far as he knows - allowed him to save the Mayor from Jade murdering him. For shame, John!

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

WhiffleballDude posted:

Don't worry, I'm sure John will explain everything to John.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

Dolash posted:

Oh, and I find it a bit bluh that John would stop himself from doing something that - so far as he knows - allowed him to save the Mayor from Jade murdering him. For shame, John!

To be fair, we don't know how far ahead this particular John is. He seems to be able to control the zappy thing better than the John that zapped there originally. It's possible that in that time he found reason to change those events.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

WhiffleballDude posted:

Retcons, man. :geno:

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Voxx posted:

Retcons, man. :geno:

What retcons? Everything is proceeding as normal.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

John's first lesson in doing the Continuity Thing is to use it on himself to fix the things he previously broke by doing the Continuity Thing. It pleases me that this comic continues to find new ways to plumb the depths of meta.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

John's retconning his own retcons.

So the rather mixed up timeline is

Jade kicks the mayor off
which is retconned to
John interrupts Jade and Dave
which is again retconned to
Jade and Dave proceed as normal with John interrupting himself?

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall
I think we're on the precipice of infinite regression now.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
And the original pages have been re-retconned with the additional Johns as well.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
I do have to say, that just when I thought I was getting a handle on what is going on, I managed to get thrown for a loop by this.

The thing about weird time travel stuff is, its pretty easy to toss a whole bunch of cliches into it, make it seem complicated, but not really get much out of it at all. But this is something that really does throw my brain for a loop, bring up even more questions, develop the characters, and move the story forward.

I like being surprised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
So this means that a similar set of updates will occur with John retconning then un-retconning the other two character options, right? I can definitely see John appearing to snap Rose out of her soliloquising, at least.