Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Pierson posted:

As Norse is there any way to get a Casus Belli for Braunschweig (it's one of the Norse holy sites) without having any other claim? It's my last target to reform the faith and I finally out-man them.

Fabricate a claim with your chancellor or border conquest it (which may mean grinding there from the coast).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Nobody's commented on it in this thread that I can see, so I figured some people would want to know that another group has taken over maintaining CK2+.

The King is dead, long live the...council? Oh, well, we'll see if the mod stays true to its concept, but it looks so far like they know what made it good so I'm relatively optimistic.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Pierson posted:

As Norse is there any way to get a Casus Belli for Braunschweig (it's one of the Norse holy sites) without having any other claim? It's my last target to reform the faith and I finally out-man them.

Use coastal conquest for county next to it, then regular conquest on it. Unfortunately that means you fight Germany/entire Karling blob twice

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.

Pyromancer posted:

Use coastal conquest for county next to it, then regular conquest on it. Unfortunately that means you fight Germany/entire Karling blob twice

Not if you can help that Karling blob along into imploding itself for a time into a few messy succession wars. Been playing a Byzantine game as of late and I managed to eat a nice chunk of Italy thanks to infighting among the various Karling kingdoms.

Belasarius
Feb 27, 2002

Pyromancer posted:

Nah you just wait for the inevitable rebellions/decrease crown authority whatever

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

knob posted:

So newbie question.

I'm playing Dublin. I've managed to form the duchies of Meath and Leinster. I've invited some woman over who has a strong claim on Desmond. Is there any way I can press her claim so that I control (or at least have a vassal) the area? I was under the impression that if I give a land title to the person with the claim prior to pressing it, they would then be my vassal after pressing it, but (because it's a woman?) it says I have no land to give her (but I do). I also invited some guy over with a weak claim, but I don't have the option to use it at all (and I remember reading during my last attempt to learn this game that weak claims have a bunch more requirements to press, but I don't remember specifics).

Outside of fabricating claims, this whole system confuses the gently caress out of me.

Edit: Also, is there any way to control who becomes the next mayor or bishop in a county?

Titles can only be handed out to men (except maybe if you have True Cognatic succession?). If she's currently unmarried, your best bet is to marry her to a male family member of yours and wait for a child to inherit the claim. When you press a dynasty member's claim, they'll always remain your vassal unless their new title is of an equal or greater rank than yours. If she's already married or past age 45 but has kids already, then wait for a son to inherit then give him land. Granted, both of these will turn it into a weak claim, but there's not much you can do about it.

While strong claims can be pressed at any time, weak claims can only be pressed if one of the following is true:
  • Claimant is male and title holder is female
  • Title holder is in a regency (child, imprisoned, infirm, or on hajj)
  • Title is being contested in another war
  • Claimant is second or third in line for the title, making it essentially like a strong claim.

Catholics with the Free Investiture law can appoint bishops through the Religion menu. Investiture laws depend on the de jure kingdom, but if you haven't created the Kingdom of Ireland yet, I believe it defaults to Free.

Mayors use Open Elective succession, which you cannot control.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Dr. Tough posted:

Some seem to be arbitrary and some seem to have some care put into them. Charlemagne, Constantine, and Octavian seemed to have some effort put into their stats and traits. St. Peter on the other hand was listed as being Greek.
Basically, rulers which historically did well (like Rurik, or the ~Norman Sicilians~ or those you mentioned above) get hand-picked traits, and the rest get assigned traits randomly. This is the same with playable rulers; guys like William the Conqueror will always have the same good traits, while some count in the middle of nowherestan in the steppe will get a random set of traits. Thinking about it, I wonder if rulers which ran their kingdoms into the ground get a bunch of hand-picked negative traits.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

BBJoey posted:

Basically, rulers which historically did well (like Rurik, or the ~Norman Sicilians~ or those you mentioned above) get hand-picked traits, and the rest get assigned traits randomly. This is the same with playable rulers; guys like William the Conqueror will always have the same good traits, while some count in the middle of nowherestan in the steppe will get a random set of traits. Thinking about it, I wonder if rulers which ran their kingdoms into the ground get a bunch of hand-picked negative traits.

This guy:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-Mu%27tazz
starts out with bunch of negative traits. That's why the Abbasid Empire usually starts with a huge revolt.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

I'm playing a game as Ireland and I've conquered the British Isles and formed Britannia. I then invaded and conquered Norway as a thank you for their constant attacks on England. When I look on the "De Jure Kingdoms" map most Norwegian provinces say "Becoming Independent, De Jure, as Empire of Britannia (6/100)", and a few say "Becoming Incorporated, De Jure, into the Empire of Britannia (6/100)".

I understand the 6/100 means we're 6 years into a hundred year process, but I have no clue what the rest of that means. Am I going to lose most of Norway in 94 years?

A GIANT PARSNIP fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Aug 11, 2013

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

I'm playing a game as Ireland and I've conquered the British Isles and formed Britannia. I then invaded and conquered Norway as a thank you for their constant attacks on England. When I look on the "De Jure Kingdoms" map most Norwegian provinces say "Becoming Independent, De Jure, as Empire of Britannia (6/100)", and a few say "Becoming Incorporated, De Jure, into the Empire of Britannia (6/100)".

I understand the 6/100 means we're 6 years into a hundred year process, but I have no clue what the rest of that means. Am I going to lose most of Norway in 94 years?

Depends. What you're seeing is called "de jure drift". Basically, if an entire duchy has been absorbed into a different kingdom, then de jure drift starts. What happens is that people will very slowly start to accept that the duchy is part of the heartland of the kingdom that controls it.

Now, I don't know what your map looks like, but the norwegian territory that says "Becoming Incorporated, De Jure, into the Empire of Britannia (6/100)" mean that, if nothing in the duchy changes hands with another kingdom (denmark, norway, sweden) for 94 years, it will become accepted as a part of the empire of britania, and the king of norway will no longer get to claim that it is his by law (de jure).

I do'nt think I've ever seen "becoming independent", though. Could you show a picture?

edit: quick google gives this, on the paradox forums:

quote:

If the De Jure Kingdom is part of a De Jure Empire BUT not a vassal of his De Jure Empire Liege (they're independent), the Kingdom will DRIFT AWAY from the De Jure Empire, meaning after 100 years of becoming independent, they will no longer be part of the empire, just like Kingdom of Hungary and Kingdom of Italy from the start

double nine fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Aug 11, 2013

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
I had "becoming independent" show up for a kingdom that was being incorporated into a formed Empire as one of the first de jure kingdoms, but the other two I held were showing "being incorporated" so I'm still not sure what will make the game show one and not the other. However, the end effect is still the same: they'll be de jure part of your kingdom/empire as long as you hold them for that entire timer.

edit: oh, okay, it must have been because it was Iran and they start as part of a de-jure empire or something? Hrm.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Walliard posted:

Mayors use Open Elective succession, which you cannot control.

Apparently, you can. You simply can't have a county-level city holding as your primary holding. But, for example, were I to change France to be Open Elective, ceteris paribus, I would still be able to control it so long as the primary holding is a feudal barony. This is apparently how the Game of Thrones mod allows the Nightswatch to be playable.

Lars Krimi
Jul 1, 2003
I just played my first game as Munster in which I managed in 170 or so years to become king of Ireland, Alba, Wales, France, Aquitaine, Brittany, Sweden, Norway, and Denmark due to a series of fortunate events. These included starting with a 26 diplomacy chancellor, winning a crusade on Sweden when I had only barely formed Ireland, and inheriting a claim on the kingdom of France. Even with all that power, I managed to lose horribly when a string of assassinations left me with a female ruler past childbearing age and with no dynastic heirs. It was a lot of fun though.

I have a few questions:
- When you conquer a large kingdom like France, how the hell do you manage to change succession laws? There was never a moment when I was close to managing it as they all hated my guts forever and were constantly fighting among themselves.
- I tried out CK2+ as Munster. I used the de jure claim on the third province of Munster (the petty kingdom) and installed a guy with claims on two other counties. However, when I pressed his claim on one of those, I lost him as a vassal and he became the independent ruler of both counties. Why did this happen? What is the rule difference here between vanilla and CK2+?

Lars Krimi fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Aug 11, 2013

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

my precious British isles are filled with Norsemen even though i kicked them out more than a century ago, is there any event to make my provinces change culture? I tried event 55000 but it only seems to change my capital province.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Erfsom posted:

my precious British isles are filled with Norsemen even though i kicked them out more than a century ago, is there any event to make my provinces change culture? I tried event 55000 but it only seems to change my capital province.

As long as you're using the console...switch over the to holder of a province and trigger that event for them. For your other non-capital provinces try some other culture conversion events not associated with the English culture, 55001, 55010, 55011. My guess is on event 55001 since it has a comment that says "Exclude provinces covered by event 55000" but I have not tried it myself. Personally for my fast-culture switching needs I just set the mtth (mean time to happen) to like 10 or something super low (default is 1200) and the provinces will convert really fast.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
It is tremendously satisfying to watch some jackhole who took advantage of the ruler-switch rebellions to blackmail you for independence get torn up by his own rebellions and holy wars then come crawling back to live at your court.

Pretty dumb loving idea to be a one-county Norse count in-between East and West Francia, isn't it Arnfast? :smug:

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

TjyvTompa posted:

As long as you're using the console...switch over the to holder of a province and trigger that event for them. For your other non-capital provinces try some other culture conversion events not associated with the English culture, 55001, 55010, 55011. My guess is on event 55001 since it has a comment that says "Exclude provinces covered by event 55000" but I have not tried it myself. Personally for my fast-culture switching needs I just set the mtth (mean time to happen) to like 10 or something super low (default is 1200) and the provinces will convert really fast.

where do you set mth?

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Erfsom posted:

where do you set mth?

In the file culture_conversion_events.txt in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Crusader Kings II\events\, change all occurrences of "months = " to whatever value you think would be nice for your game. Make sure to check what the event does first though in case you don't want to make the English culture conversion go faster, those events are commented so you can see which they are. If you are using a mod you need to check if that file exists in the mod and change it there instead if so.

knob
May 25, 2005

knob
Another newbie question. I'm playing Agnatic-Cognatic Primogeniture. My eldest son and heir died. I guess this means that *his* kid becomes the next heir and it doesn't just move down the list of my kids? That's not what I expected at all. If I switched to elective as a petty king and only earls below me, that would essentially mean I can pick whoever I want, without risk of someone else being voted in since there are no dukes?

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~

1stGear posted:

It is tremendously satisfying to watch some jackhole who took advantage of the ruler-switch rebellions to blackmail you for independence get torn up by his own rebellions and holy wars then come crawling back to live at your court.

Pretty dumb loving idea to be a one-county Norse count in-between East and West Francia, isn't it Arnfast? :smug:

I love when this happens. I was playing the Ck2+ Millennium Mod as Olafr af Munsö and had a series of defensive wars against known historical rear end in a top hat Sweyn Forkbeard. History repeated itself and Sweyn got deposed by his son somewhere along the way after a series of rebellions put England back into Saxon hands, and guess which court he showed up at? So I matrilineally married him to my daughter, imprisoned him as soon as his son was born, and then sacrificed him to Odin while asking him "Where is your God now?" :smug:

Also whoever made the Millennium Mod deserves a loving A+ for adding in Red Orm from Frans G. Bentsson's The Long Ships, as well as all of his children.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Dallan Invictus posted:

Nobody's commented on it in this thread that I can see, so I figured some people would want to know that another group has taken over maintaining CK2+.

The King is dead, long live the...council? Oh, well, we'll see if the mod stays true to its concept, but it looks so far like they know what made it good so I'm relatively optimistic.

I'm sitting in as one of the contributors, mainly minor stuff like Shattered World things, but I'll post a link each time we make an official release if people still want that posted here.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

knob posted:

Another newbie question. I'm playing Agnatic-Cognatic Primogeniture. My eldest son and heir died. I guess this means that *his* kid becomes the next heir and it doesn't just move down the list of my kids? That's not what I expected at all. If I switched to elective as a petty king and only earls below me, that would essentially mean I can pick whoever I want, without risk of someone else being voted in since there are no dukes?

Think of it this way: When your son was alive, your grandson was second in the line of succession. Why should he suddenly be pushed back simply because his father died young?

Earls can vote in elective succession for a duchy, but as long as they don't hate you they'll probably vote for your pick.

knob
May 25, 2005

knob
I guess I should have specified feudal elective? The way it sounds, if I'm king and there are no dukes, I'm the only one who gets a vote since only the next lower rank of vassal can vote. All of my vassals are currently earls.

Another question. Sorry. I have a lot of them:

I invited claimants from Thomond and Desmond over, took them, and they're mine. Currently, I hold 7 of 13 counties, so I'm also King. I usurped the title for duchy of munster. Before all of this happened, it looked like Thomond and Ormond were fighting (a couple years prior). So now that I have the duchy title and I'm king? I can press a de jure ducal claim for Ormond. When I go to do it, it gives me a notice about breaking a truce and all of the prestige it'll cost me. Is this truce from when Ormond and Thomond were fighting, and is still in place, even though I've taken thomond and have my son as earl? Or does it have something to do with me usurping the title? Also, does my heir maintain the ability to press the claim?

As a side note, the whole thing has left me some interesting choices. My ruler is 72 and the truce lasts another 6 years. So I can wait it out and (since I don't know, but assume I can) hope my heir can still press it, or hope my current ruler lives long enough to press it. I can be impatient and just press it, become a truce breaker, lose 1.2k prestige (of 2.1k), lose some diplomacy and be disliked by a lot of people, but not care because I'm 72 and I'll be dead soon, but I'll leave behind one more county for my heir to work with.

Game is pretty neat. I don't know if I'll like EU4 in the same way or not, but it does make me want to try it.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I hope there's some sort of naval combat mechanic or whatever because these Viking raids aren't even real threats anymore to my Republican army; just annoying wastes of my time and patience since I have to rally yet another fleet of ships to catch them before they run for their boats :argh:

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.

toasterwarrior posted:

I hope there's some sort of naval combat mechanic or whatever because these Viking raids aren't even real threats anymore to my Republican army; just annoying wastes of my time and patience since I have to rally yet another fleet of ships to catch them before they run for their boats :argh:

No naval combat in the foreseeable future, unfortunately. Raiders, like peasant revolts, are simply a gentle reminder that God hates you and wants you to suffer.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

beefart posted:

Also whoever made the Millennium Mod deserves a loving A+ for adding in Red Orm from Frans G. Bentsson's The Long Ships, as well as all of his children.

Does it have his brother? :negative:

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

toasterwarrior posted:

Yeah the viking poo poo-raids are super loving annoying. Especially when they turn up in Constantinople with their 300 men "armies" not even able to lay siege to the castle outhouse yet you get spammed with messages about the ~viking raid~. The AI is really super terrible in this game in everything they do, it's get even more obvious if you tag over to other characters using the console to see what they are up to. "Oh that previous mega-revolt that cost you everything? Yeah that was due to you not transferring all those city vassals to their correct liege you somehow ended up with." "Oh, a new barony, let's spend those precious pieces of gold....not on something that will give me more gold, let's build a wall the first thing I do then wait a decade to be able to build another wall somewhere else."

In my current game as the Byzantines I've been declared war on by the Caliph 3 times, every time when I was at max stability, everyone of my vassals loves me and my levies are full. While everyone of the Caliphs vassals hates him and mid-war his realm erupts in a civil war. What the hell.
I have high hopes for the AI in EU:IV and from the developer diaries it looks really nice, almost like the AI will actually understand what it is doing.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

knob posted:

I guess I should have specified feudal elective? The way it sounds, if I'm king and there are no dukes, I'm the only one who gets a vote since only the next lower rank of vassal can vote. All of my vassals are currently earls.

You made it sound like you were still a petty king, not a king outright. Yeah, it should work in that case, but keep in mind that your vassals will be annoyed at you for hogging the elector titles.

quote:

I invited claimants from Thomond and Desmond over, took them, and they're mine. Currently, I hold 7 of 13 counties, so I'm also King. I usurped the title for duchy of munster. Before all of this happened, it looked like Thomond and Ormond were fighting (a couple years prior). So now that I have the duchy title and I'm king? I can press a de jure ducal claim for Ormond. When I go to do it, it gives me a notice about breaking a truce and all of the prestige it'll cost me. Is this truce from when Ormond and Thomond were fighting, and is still in place, even though I've taken thomond and have my son as earl? Or does it have something to do with me usurping the title? Also, does my heir maintain the ability to press the claim?

Is Ormond controlled by the same person who used to own Desmond? Truces in CK2 only apply to the attacker wrt the original defender.

Your son will be able to press de jure claims just fine.

TheLoquid
Nov 5, 2008
I am currently having the most Crusader Kingsest succession crisis right now. My aging brilliant emperor Phrophyrios had a quick son named Gregorios before he came to the throne, then had a second, non quick, son named Chrysogonos who was born to the purple. Nevertheless, I had Gregorios named despot and thought everything was super duper for the succession.

Well, Gregorios got jumpy and had Chrysogonos assassinated so that he would be the only claimant to the throne. Unfortunate, and I was not looking forward to an Emperor with kinslayer, but I could make do, right? Except I had recently remarried a young Italian lady who had had a son for Prophyrios, and she wanted all the best for him. So she put together a plot to off Gregorios, leaving me with a one year old heir for my fifty five year old emperor. Well, I had her executed and remarried for a third time, marrying a genius who quickly popped out a genius baby for me. Which just about wrapped it up for the non genius one year old my emperor had with the lady who killed my eldest son. I assassinated the one year old, leaving me with my 0 year old genius heir.

My son killed my younger son, who was then killed by my wife, prompting me to kill her and her child. This game.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

TheLoquid posted:

I am currently having the most Crusader Kingsest succession crisis right now. My aging brilliant emperor Phrophyrios had a quick son named Gregorios before he came to the throne, then had a second, non quick, son named Chrysogonos who was born to the purple. Nevertheless, I had Gregorios named despot and thought everything was super duper for the succession.

Well, Gregorios got jumpy and had Chrysogonos assassinated so that he would be the only claimant to the throne. Unfortunate, and I was not looking forward to an Emperor with kinslayer, but I could make do, right? Except I had recently remarried a young Italian lady who had had a son for Prophyrios, and she wanted all the best for him. So she put together a plot to off Gregorios, leaving me with a one year old heir for my fifty five year old emperor. Well, I had her executed and remarried for a third time, marrying a genius who quickly popped out a genius baby for me. Which just about wrapped it up for the non genius one year old my emperor had with the lady who killed my eldest son. I assassinated the one year old, leaving me with my 0 year old genius heir.

My son killed my younger son, who was then killed by my wife, prompting me to kill her and her child. This game.
Only way it could have ended better was if a 40 years old stutterer and clubfooted uncle had inherited the throne and spent the 35 next years ruling the empire without troubles.

Happy Fun Bollocks
Aug 4, 2007

by Ion Helmet
I was an unreformed Norseman (so stuck with gavelkind) of house Hvitserk and Emperor of Britannia, King of England/Irland/Skotland, Jarl of Jorvik, and Chief of Jorvik/Rome/Bruge/Zealand. The Queen of Norway (who ruled most of Scandinavia barring Denmark) was my mother and when she died I inherited her kingdom. I then had control of 3 holy sites, so I reformed and became Fylkir. I wanted to change my inheritance laws to Feudal Elective, but it turns out everyone in Scandinavia hated me, as did some Old Norse jerks back in Britannia.

I solved this problem by creating the Kingdoms of Sweden and Finland, giving away Norway and it's capital duchy/province and de jure vassals to my genius Yngling half-brother (who was already married to my genius daughter), Sweden/Finland and its vassals to some Swedish Munso jarl (who I then betrothed to another genius daughter), Skotland (and Rome, since I had no de jure Scottish counties) and its vassals to an unlanded strong Ivaring (who was already matrilinearly married to yet another genius daughter), and Irland and its vassals to my second son (who was already Jarl of Veisafjordr and married to a genius of his own).

For good measure I raised crown authority in both the Empire and the Kingdom of England to medium to stop their petty warring, then raised a few of my land-holding kinsmen and other loyal reformed Norse vassals up to Jarls so everyone directly under me in England had a positive opinion.

Now the Empire and the Kingdom have Feudal Elective inheritance and my eldest son (also married to a genius) is heir.

Is there any chance Britannia will survive the coming succession war?

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?707689-Increasing-the-chances-of-getting-the-attractive-trait-for-certain-ethnicities

:magical:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

That sure is something :stare: . As if stabbing you children and marrying them to one another wasn't sufficient.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Pretty sure that can't be done. I don't think ethnicity is something the code can check.

Though as I say this, I realize I've never actually tried ethnicity = "whatever".

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Strudel Man posted:

Pretty sure that can't be done. I don't think ethnicity is something the code can check.

Though as I say this, I realize I've never actually tried ethnicity = "whatever".

It can check culture. It would be extremely easy to write an event for this. It'd be something like this:

code:
character_event={
	id = AWESOME.1
	trigger = {
		OR = {
			culture_group = east_african
			culture_group = west_african
		}
		always = yes
		NOT = {trait = fair}
	}
	desc = EVTDESCAWESOME.1
	mean_time_to_happen = {
		days = 1		
	}
	option = {
		name = OK
		add_trait = fair
	}
}

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Aug 12, 2013

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

DrSunshine posted:

It can check culture. It would be extremely easy to write an event for this. It'd be something like this:
Yeah, but culture isn't the same as ethnicity. So your event would fire for an Irish kid raised by a West African tutor, and wouldn't fire for a proud Mande woman brought up in a Frankish household.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Strudel Man posted:

Yeah, but culture isn't the same as ethnicity.

Yeah, that's true. Still, it'd affect a reasonably large number!

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Strudel Man posted:

Yeah, but culture isn't the same as ethnicity. So your event would fire for an Irish kid raised by a West African tutor, and wouldn't fire for a proud Mande woman brought up in a Frankish household.

The whole culture system in general is really weird and questionable but serves its purpose. I don't think he was advocating actually doing this anyway.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

TIMURIDS :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

RagnarokAngel posted:

The whole culture system in general is really weird and questionable but serves its purpose. I don't think he was advocating actually doing this anyway.

No, yeah, under no circumstances was I arguing that this is in any way not a horrible, awful, and racist thing to do. I was just saying that if you wanted all people who looked like "X" at the start of the game to have trait "Y", it would be reasonably feasible to have it search by culture. Of course, later there might be problems. The game doesn't actually know what "appearance" is, so far as I can tell. Otherwise, there'd totally be events that'd give "the fat" to characters who actually looked fat.

• Locked thread